Subject: Re: Natural Pesticides

From: [email-masked] (David W Wheat)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 1994 12:19:30 GMT

You can learn more about Neem extract (azadirachtin) from AgraDyne,
417 Wakara Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84108 or W.R. Grace, Horticultural
Products, 62 Whittemore Ave., Cambridge MA 02140.  I  thik it is
on the market from Grace, not sure about AgraDyne.  It is only 
registered in the U.S. for non-food greenhouse crops, ornamentals, 
and turf.

Nicotine sulfate (''Black Leaf 40'') is highly toxic, and is not much
used in agriculture.  Still used in home gardens I think.  LD-50 only
50 mg/kg.  ''Rotenone'' (many other names) is a similar botanical 
insecticide used on a lot of crops and pests (toxic to fish).

David Wheat
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (William Glover)
Date: 15 Sep 1994 23:19:49 -0400

>In article <[email-masked]>, 
>[email-masked] (Tracy Aquilla) writes: 
> 
>>I am not too clear on what the active ingredients are, but neem seed oil 
>is 
>>purportedly an effective broad-spectrum insecticide with relatively 
>moderate 
>>toxicity. I don't know about the leaves though. 
 
The active ingredient in the seeds of the Neem tree (Azadirachta indica,
native to the Indian subcontinent and now pantropical) is azadiractin, a
very safe (LD50 rating of >13,000) and extremely effective pesticide
against virtually all insects. Now EPA approved and being marketed in North
America under various trade names such as Margosan-O, BioNEEM, and Neemix. 
 
As I have several dozen Neem trees, I concoct sufficient for my needs
easily enough when the trees are in fruit by putting a few seeds in a
blender with water. The Neem is a remarkable as well as handsome tree,
every part of which has long been used in India for a great variety of folk
remedies for man and beast. 
 
Warm regards,  
 
William Glover                          email: [email-masked] 
Mango Corners, Jones Estate             fax:   809-469-0119  
NEVIS, West Indies