Subject: REQUEST: Neem tree info

From: [email-masked] (Steve Pickett)
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 02:12:00 GMT

TO: [email-masked]
FROM: [email-masked]
SUBJECT: Neem Info

Z{|}I am now the proud owner of a neem tree in a one-gallon pot. It was
Z{|}a gift. How much water and fertilizer does it need? How big does it get?
Z{|}I'm in South Florida. How do they fare in this area? I'd appreciate
Z{|}learning about this before I plant it and would hope some of the
Z{|}knowledgeable people "out there" could help.
Z{|}--

Joan,
Here is a copy of a message to me on this topic.

<quote>
From: William Glover <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 15:44:37 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Neem Tree Q & A

Steve Pickett,

Glad you received the seeds. Don't know that I'm so glad to have all the
questions, but here goes:

>How big does the Neem get (height and width)?

40 feet high x 20-30  feet wide in the tropics.

>How fast does it grow?

Two feet or so a year, in the tropics.

>Is the root structure such that it can be planted near a sidewalk (and
>not lift the cement)?

Nevis, W.I. is where the sidewalk ends. Have no idea, but most any sizeable
tree will lift sidewalks. Don't think it would lift sidewalks anywhere in
the USA outside of Key West, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands.
The Neem is a *tropical* tree; seedlings are killed by frost and larger
ones can take only a few degrees below 0 F for a very short time.

>Can other things grow under it, or does it sterilize the soil?

Grass, sansevierias, stapeliads, and baby neems grow under mine.

>What is it's shape (conical, open, twisted, upright, umbrella, spreading,
>...)?

Upright, erect, and moderately spreading.

>Can it be trimmed to have the lower branches up off the ground?

Yes. Can stand any amount of pruning.

>Can you walk under it?

If the lower branches are cut away.

>What is the fruit like?

Ovoid, yellow, with about 2 mm of flesh around the seed.

>What can the fruit be used for (eating, jams, jellies, fodder, compost,

Doesn't taste very good. Have no idea if considered edible in India and Sri
Lanka. Leaves and branches said to be suitable for cattle fodder, but my
neighbor's sheep won't touch them.

Primary use for seeds nowadays is for the extraction of azadirachtin for
bioinsecticides such as those being marketed under the names of Margosan-O,
BioNEEM, and Neemix.

>Is it a messy tree?

Not especially. Little leaf litter, but abundant fruit fall in season.

>How close together can they be planted?

I have a number planted 2-3 feet apart as a windscreen.

>Why the concerns about it being invasive?

It naturalizes readily in warm, arid climates. One should always be
concerned about exotics being invasive and crowding out native species.
Think about kudzu and water hyacinth in southern US, lantana in Hawaii,
prickly pears in Australia, Brazilian pepper trees in Florida, etc.

>Lot's of questions.

True. Happy you didn't ask how much a big one weighs as my scale is broken.

> I looked it up in my Sunset Garden Book, and it was
>not listed, neither the common nor the botanical names.

As far as I know, on the US mainland neems are only in southern Florida and
but recently introduced.

Warm regards,

William Glover
<unquote>

I have also spoken to some local people who have come up dry on info.
Even Hortus 3rd didn't have info which suprised one nurserywoman. I'm
trying to propagate some seeds, but no luck yet.

Let me know how it goes.

Steve
---
 * QMPro 1.52 * Vegetarians eat vegetables.  Beware of Humanitarians!