Subject: Re: Roundup - don't shoot, please!

From: [email-masked]
Date: 7 May 1997 05:16:31 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Chrislast) wrote:

> What is "solarizing?"  Sounds interesting.
> 
> Thanks,
> Chris
> Atlanta

Solarizing is heating the soil using the sun as a heat source.  Basically,
one covers the ground with clear  (usually 4 mil thick) plastic sheeting
for the entire growing season (although shorter times can be used further
south).  

The ground should be moist before starting and is further helped by adding
a second layer of plastic separated by a couple of inches (using pipes or
rocks) to help retain the heat in the soil at night when there is no sun
to heat it.

Apparently, soil temperatures get hot enough to kill off all weeds, seeds,
and many diseases during this process.

Bill & Harvey
SKID  zone 6  CT  USA