Subject: Re: Experimental Horticulture

From: [email-masked] (Steven R. Tobin)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 14:05:29 cdt

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (ANDREW SINGER ) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (ANDREW SINGER )
>Subject: Experimental Horticulture
>Date: 3 Nov 1994 03:08:39 GMT

>I am interested if anyone knows of any universities/government agencies 
>or private institutions that are experimenting with the idea of using a 
>select grouping of plants to extract "environmentally harmful" substances 
>from human originated wastewater.    I have had some leads in the fields 
>of golf courses, which treat the runoff water in a manmade wetland 
>environment, but I would like to know if there are any formal studies 
>going on anywhere.  Thank you for your help!

>Andrew 
>Seattle, WA

This isn't going to help much, but I know there has been a lot of work in the 
South on this topic for many years. They have been using ponds with hydrangia, 
I believe, to "filter" harmful elements from wastewater, and is fairly common 
practice in the warmer cimates. Check with the Ag. Extension Services in 
Southern states, and I believe the EPA has been involved with it also. It 
seems like NASA was involved in some research in this area also.
  
  Steve