Subject: Re: Metal Toxicity and Plants

From: [email-masked] (Ian Staples)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 07:48:57 GMT

James Cracknell <[email-masked]> writes:

>I am conducting a literature research into Toxic Metals in Plants - If 
>anyone can offer me any help eg. references - Sources on the Net etc - 
>I'd be extremley grateful.

Can't offer much in the way of refs, but I did just happen to see
a news-type article in _Science_ (Vol. 269, No. 5222, 21 Jul 95) by one
Anne Simon Moffat, "Plants proving their worth in toxic metal cleanup".
(Pp. 302-303.)

The thing that really got to me was the photo of "_Arabidopsis_ plants
[that] carry a bacterial gene that enables them to grow on a mercuric
chloride solution"!  Anything that can grow on corrosive sublimate
deserves respect.  :-) 

Cheers,  Ian S.

-- 

Ian Staples                        E-mail : [email-masked]
c/- P.O. Box 1054 MAREEBA          Phone  : +61 (0)70 928 555 Home 924 847
Queensland Australia 4880            Fax  : +61 (0)70 923 593   "   "   "