Subject: Re: Oil-eating bacteria

From: [email-masked] (Dave Boone)
Date: 20 Jan 1995 15:22:27 GMT

>>         I'm interested in doing a science fair project in the area
>>         of microbiology and I'm wondering if anyone has any information
>>         concerning oil-eating bacteria. Is there a specific type of
>>         bacteria? Where can one find it? Do you think I can base a 
>>         reasonably research project on it?

   [snip]
>So the bugs are probably quite common, and you could simply try to isolate
>them by designing an oil-containing medium.

Check the following reference for a review of hydrocarbon-oxidizing
bacteria and various media for their isolation and maintenance:

Eugene Rosenberg.  1992.  The hydrocarbon oxidizing bacteria, chapter 19,
p. 446-459.  In: The prokaryotes, volume 1, edited by Balows, Tru"per,
Dworkin, Harder, and Schleifer.  Springer-Verlag, New York.

-- 
====================================================================
  David R. Boone, Professor of Environmental Microbiology
  Oregon Graduate Institute, PO Box 91000, Portland, OR 97291-1000
  (503) 690-1146; fax (503) 690-1273
====================================================================