Subject: Re: METAL UPTAKE

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Feb 1995 17:02:32 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Brian Osias) wrote:

> Dear reader,
>         I am working on a science fair project in which I am testing how
> pH affects the absorption of metals by radishes.  If you have any
> information on the biological affects of Al, Mg, Mn, Zn, Ca, Fe, Co, K, I
> would appreciate it if you sent it to me.  Thank you.
>                                                Sincerely,
>                                                Brian Osias
> 
> 
> --
> ---
> 
> Brian Osias * [email-masked]

Any decent plant physiology or soil fertility book should have a
discussion on the biological affects of these elements (though
"biological" is a broad term they would more likely cover then plant
growth effects).

Generally pH affects the solubility of these elements and generally as the
solubility increases so does there absorption (to either they detriment or
enhancement of the plants growth.

There is a "famous" chart showing the effects of pH on uptake of various
elements in the "Western Fertilizer Handbook" (among other places).

-- 
Lowell

What a long strange trip its been