Subject: Bioremediation experiment: Please help with Aeration problem

From: [email-masked] (William B. Warren)
Date: 17 Sep 1994 18:28:03 -0400

Hello all,      
 	 I have built a solar/wind powered, simulated saltmarsh aboard
a fifty-three foot barge and have some questions about aeration. I need to
provide enough aeration for the nitrifying bacteria in the primary
treatment tanks (8x55gallons total), and also need to start aeration in
the solar algae tanks (8x66gallons) to support the algavores (snails and
fish).  
	I had a 120v/2500W generator which I had planned to use to run
a homemade aeration system... It never did put out enough current to even
get the pump to run then, one tragic day <sniff, sniff>, the generator
stopped generating.  Should I try to find a commercial solution?  Or is
there some wonderfully simple, homemade solution to my aeration woes? Am I
going to need120v to run a dependable aeration system, or is it doable
with 12vdc?  I also ponder mechanical aeration, ie. when the wind blows
the tanks are aerated, but that too is a bit problematic.  Mechanical
aeration would be great when windy but it would need to be supplemented by
a secondary system for times of little wind. hmph.
	  Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
William