Subject: Measuring seed coat thickness

From: [email-masked] (Mark Reader)
Date: 20 Feb 1996 09:15:49 GMT

I am interested in measuring the thickness of seed coats of legume species
non-destructively.  I hope to do this on a very large number of specimens
so a relatively rapid technique is required.  The seed coats range from 50
to 200 micrometres thick and weigh between 5 to 30% of the weight of the 
seeds.

Does anyone know of any device capable of measuring seed coat thickness 
rapidly and non-destructively?

I know of ultrasound and NIR but I am looking for a device capable of 
using these techniques to measure seed coat thickness.

Mark Reader

CLIMA (Centre for Legumes in Mediterranean Agriculture)
Univ. of Western Australia
Nedlands WA 6907
AUSTRALIA

tel. +619 368 3787
fax. +619 474 2840

email [email-masked]