Subject: Biotechnology company positions

From: [email-masked] (Ross Howden)
Date: 3 Aug 1995 04:40:53 GMT

ForBio Research is a key part of the  ForBio group of companies based in 
Brisbane which now has branches in Europe, Malaysia and China, with 
operations planned to commence in the USA within 12 months.  The 
Australian operations currently employ over 50 staff, and it is planned 
that the international group will expand to 250 personnel within three 
years.  ForBio Research Pty Ltd is the largest private Australian plant 
biotechnology group, and the largest forest biotechnology research 
company worldwide.  It has a staff of over 30 which will expand to about 
40.  The company has an overriding commitment to excellence, and operates 
in well-equipped laboratories in Brisbane, with linkages to the 
University of Queensland.  

Applications are sought from outstanding PhD level scientists to 
strengthen our gene transformation and marker-aided selection programs.  
Talented Research Assistants are also being appointed in each of these 
areas as well as to our molecular biology programs.

RESEARCH SCIENTISTS (MOLECULAR BREEDING)
Quantitative Geneticist or Breeder with a PhD qualification and 
experience in use of molecular markers is sought for a senior role in our 
mapping team, developing correlations between quantitative trait loci and 
map markers using advanced software packages.  This group is one of the 
most productive in the world and expects to generate over a million RAPD 
reactions per year using automated methods.  Ability to manage a dynamic 
team and to interact with other professionals both within and external to 
the ForBio group is desirable.  The group is also developing capabilities 
in positional cloning and there is potential for appointees to have 
direct or indirect participation in this program.

RESEARCH SCIENTIST  (PLANT TRANSFORMATION)
Our transformation team is involved in development of robust 
transformation systems for an increasing variety of woody plants.  Both 
Agrobacterium and particle bombardment systems are currently used by the 
group.  It is expected that the team will be involved in the development 
of methods for robot-assisted subculture in association with ForBio 
Robotics.   Interest in the longer-term goal of developing targeted gene 
insertion methods would be well regarded.  A PhD qualified scientist is 
sought who has relevant technical skills and who will also be able to 
provide team coordination and communication in areas of responsibility.

TECHNICAL SERVICES OFFICER (SCIENTIFIC EQUIPMENT SPECIALIST)
An experienced and talented equipment specialist is sought who can 
provide hands-on maintenance, service and modification of advanced 
biotechnological equipment worth over a million dollars.  A variety of 
background experience could suit this role, including electronics or 
operational experience with laboratory equipment, but a strong interest 
in the operation of computer-controlled biotechnology equipment is 
essential.    The appointee will be broadly responsible for the physical 
maintenance of equipment (with appropriate outside services), and for 
assisting in development of new applications.

PROGRAM COORDINATOR /COMMUNICATOR
A biotechnologist with good writing and communication skills is sought to 
assist scientists in  an active research group, particularly the CEO, 
with project scoping, reporting and general communication.  It is likely 
that the successful applicant will have a PhD and experience in plant 
biotechnology or a related field of research, but now wishes to pursue a 
career in a non-laboratory role.   Other skills, such as in documentation 
of intellectual property, will be well regarded.

RESEARCH ASSISTANTS (MOLECULAR BIOLOGY)
Graduates, preferably with BSc(Hons) or MSc qualifications, are required 
to assist molecular biology research studies involving isolation and 
characterisation of genes, preparation of gene constructs, sequencing, 
mapping with molecular markers, and related studies.  Laboratory research 
experience will be well regarded, but is not essential for individuals 
who are eager to learn.   

ForBio Research has a philosophy of supporting individual creativity to 
address agreed team goals in a cooperative and harmonious environment.  
Attractive remuneration packages commensurate with the responsibilities 
of the respective positions will be negotiated with successful 
candidates.  Applications including a detailed curriculum vitae  and the 
names of three referees should be forwarded by 13 August 1995 to ForBio 
Research Pty Ltd, 50 Meiers Road, Indooroopilly, Qld, 4068, 
Email:[email-masked].   Further information can be obtained from 
Ms Edith Mendelle or Professor Bob Teasdale on +61-7-870 5888, fax: 
+61-7-870 5777
or email: [email-masked].