Subject: Help keeping sand in pots.

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Taub)
Date: 25 May 1995 00:46:56 GMT

I wonder if anyone has clever suggestions for conveniently plugging the 
holes in flower pots (while allowing very good drainage) when using pure 
sand as a growing medium. I've tried coffeee filters, which 
disintegrated, and duct-taping the holes, and putting pin holes in the 
duct-tape, but thats rather tedious, and the tape starts coming off. Its 
a petty problem, but causing me some hassle.
Send suggestions directly to me

Thanks

Max Taub
Dept. of Ecology and Evolution
Stony Brook University

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeffrey Dean <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 May 1995 13:12:54 GMT

> Dept. of Ecology and Evolution

How about 2 or 3 layers of cheesecloth?

Jeff Dean
Dept. of Biochemistry
University of Georgia

---

From: john <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 May 1995 07:09:57 +0100

-- If the sand is fine try a piece of panty hose cut large enough to 
cover the bottom of the pot, place it in the bottom this should do the 
trick. 

.
---------------
------------------------------------------------------------| john    EMail
 john@                                                | Mail sent via 
Demon Internet                                            
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (mel turner)
Date: Sat, 27 May 1995 06:16:37

>How about 2 or 3 layers of cheesecloth?

Pieces of plastic shade cloth or  window screen material work well  and can be 
reused.

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Scobie/Maureen Scobie)
Date: Sat, 27 May 95 14:32:35 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Daniel

> Dept. of Ecology and Evolution
Try using cut-up pieces of coconut fibre mats sold for hanging basket liners.
Maureen, Victoria.

-- 
Stephen Scobie            Maureen Scobie

---

From: [email-masked] (J. A. Kiernan)
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 13:59:15 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Daniel Taub) writes:
>Subject: Help keeping sand in pots.

>sand as a growing medium. 

    (a) A stone, slightly bigger than the hole
        (Use gravel for plastic pots with several holes).
or  (b) A piece of newspaper across the bottom of the pot.

---

From: [email-masked] (Roger Case )
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 23:10:34 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (EJGOLD) writes:

>=Subject: Help keeping sand in pots.
>=From: [email-masked] (Daniel Taub)
>=Date: 25 May 1995 00:46:56 GMT
>=Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>=
>=I wonder if anyone has clever suggestions for conveniently plugging the 
>=holes in flower pots (while allowing very good drainage) when using pure 
>=sand as a growing medium. I've tried coffeee filters, which 
>=disintegrated, and duct-taping the holes, and putting pin holes in the 
>=duct-tape................................................................
>...............................

>If you are doing large scale nursery production, the simplest and most
>effective way to go has to be window screen mesh. The plastic variety is
>available in rolls for bulk purchase and has a smaller apperture size than
>the galvinized wire type. You can probably even re-use it, given proper
>sterilization.
>This works well for smaller scale uses as well, like a couple large
>terracotta pots. Just go to the local hardware store and look for a window
>screen patch kit.
>EJ

Another suggestion is to go to anyone of the many hobby stores, or embroidery 
stores and get the plastic sheets that they sell for 30-70 cewnts each that 
are about 1 ft square.  cut out a small piece and use a small pice of copper 
wire to hold the plastic in place.  This is the technique that we who do 
Bonsai use for most all of our pots.  The [plastic doesn't rot like window 
sacreen, and is coarser than window screen  so it doesn;t clog -- the material 
is so cheap it can be thrown after use, or put it through the dishwasher or 
soak it in clorox to disnfectit and its completely reuseable.

---

From: [email-masked] (EJGOLD)
Date: 29 May 1995 18:44:30 -0400

---

From: Dunmail <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 May 1995 14:49:35 GMT

Voil fabric does the job quite well.  It is synthetic so it doesn't rot 
and allows good drainage.  It is found in material shops (I think they 
use it for wedding dresses!) and is not very expensive.

Dunmail

---

From: Nicholas Skelton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 10:00:24 GMT

Plastic wool works well also. You can get it also from fabric shops or
buy a pillow stuffed with it from your local Kmart for $5.

From Henk Beentje Mon Jun 12 11:05:23 EDT 1995
Article: 6782 of bionet.plants
Newsgroups: bionet.plants
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!rutgers!uwm.edu!fnnews.fnal.gov!overload.lbl.gov!agate!howland.reston.ans.net!pipex!rbgkew.org.uk!usenet
From: Henk Beentje
Subject: sci.bio.systematics
X-Nntp-Posting-Host: hbeentje-pc
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked] (News Daemon)
Organization: The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, TW9 3AE, England
X-Newsreader: <WinQVT/Net v3.9>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 07:46:02 GMT
Lines: 5

Could anyone inform me when sci.bio.systematics will
be up and running? Much as I love African violets, I am
rather fed up with their feeding requirements.

Yr obdt