Subject: Genomic DNA: Polysaccharide contamination.

From: [email-masked] (Sergei Krasnyanski)
Date: 1 May 1996 11:17:06 -0700

For the different molecular analysis we several times isolated
genomic DNA from mint using CTAB protocol. And every time we had huge
polysaccharide contamination. For purification of DNA  we have tried to use
NaCl method (BioTechniques 1992, Vol 13, No.1, 52-53) and phenol:chloroform,
but without success.  I would appreciate very much if someone could give me
some idea how to get rid of that junk

Sergei

E-mail: [email-masked]

Sergei Krasnyanski

Dept. of Horticulture
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI, 48823

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 May 96 11:08:57 +0200

> some idea how to get rid of that junk

There is method in biotechniques Vol.17, N°.2 (1994) that consisting in making
an precipitation in 35% of ethanol : the polysaccharides are supposed to be 
precipitated but not the DNA, but you have to be very carefull when you're 
adding the ethanol, you have to redisolve you're DNA in your last buffer, first
and then, you have to add the ethanol very slowly, drop by drop and to mix 
rapidly after each drop.