Subject: Re: Saw Palmetto

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Jun 95 15:38:54 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, Robert@.ibm.net writes:
> 
> Has anyone heard of the possible effects (positive or negative) of sawSaw 
> Palmetto on the Prostate?

A preparation containing the lipophilic components of _Serenoa repens_
fruits is available in Germany for treatment of conditions associated
with benign prostatic hyperplasia.  It has not been shown to be effective,
and is not available for that purpose in the US.  
The compound that is presumed to be beneficial is an anti-androgen.

An excellent reference for questions like this is Varro E. Tyler's _The
Honest Herbal_, 3rd ed, 1993, Pharmaceutical Products Press.  Dr. Tyler
is a pharmacognocist at Purdue; his book is readable, excellent, and
has appropriate references to the scientific literature.

Kay Klier  [email-masked]

---

From: Robert@.ibm.net
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 95 00:05:32 PDT

---

From: [email-masked] (Sally Duncan)
Date: 15 Jun 1995 05:44:38 GMT

Robert,

>From  The Herb Book by John Lust:

Saw Palmetto
[Description deleted]

Properties and Uses:

Diuretic, expectorant, tonic.  Saw palmetto berries are particularly 
useful for conditions associated with colds, asthma, and 
bronchitis.  Catarrhal problems and mucous congestion respond 
to a tea made from the dried berries.  The tea has also been 
recommended as a general tonic to build strength during 
convalescence from illness.  Saw palmetto is considered by 
some to have aphrodisiac powers.

Robert@.ibm.net wrote:

: Has anyone heard of the possible effects (positive or negative) of sawSaw 
: Palmetto on the Prostate?

---

From: [email-masked] (Duane Weed, D.C.)
Date: 16 Jun 1995 00:16:22 GMT

>Palmetto on the Prostate?
  I have used myself (I had benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH) with very
good results. Another herb, pygeum, also helped me. My latest free e-mail
herb newsletter is on this subject and includes a lot of references. There
has been a lot a research on these two herbs for this problem including
double-blind studies. Reply private e-mail if you would like for me to send
you a copy of my latest newsletter including the references.

    Dr. Duane Weed, DC  <*>  E-Mail request for my FREE Herb
    [email-masked]   <*>  Guide/Catalog. Include address.

---

From: David Powner <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jun 1995 16:11:27 +0100

> Palmetto on the Prostate?

Try newsgroup alt.support.prostate.prostatitis, where they also have an 
excellent FAQ posted periodically
-- 
David Powner                   Internet: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Phil)
Date: 16 Jun 1995 05:11:05 GMT

>Palmetto on the Prostate?

I've used it for years to prevent benign enlargement of the prostate.
I have not had any negative effects as far as I can see or feel. 

See http://www.hoptechno.com for info on commercial cd-roms available
in this area.

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 1995 16:27:47 GMT

>>Yes, I have.  
>>I have been advised by a friend who has used it for that purpose to get
>>some.  He said that when he waas in his late 50's that he took some 
>>for 4 weeks and that his frequent urinating and weak stream changed.
>>He is now 70 and has not had a problem since.  He bragged to me that
>>his urine stream now has the strength of a teenager.

---

From: [email-masked] (DICK DAVID P)
Date: 20 Jun 1995 06:04:04 +1000

>Palmetto on the Prostate?

Saw Palmetto is used for treatment of prostatic hypertrophy (and similar 
prostatic ailments), and in treatment of debilitated conditions of the 
male reproductive system, as well as urinary infections in males.

It acts as a toning agent on the malre reporoductive system and is a 
urinary antiseptic.  It is also useful in reducing congestive catarrhal 
conditions of the respiratory system.

In other words, it has lots of good effects on the prostrate, 
particularly on a hypertrophied (enlarged) prostate. :)

-- 
* * * *	Myrddin     [email-masked], [email-masked]
 * * *  (042) 854482
  * *   Winner of the "Dizzy Queen of the Month Award" for the month 
   *         of May .. not one of my better months.
-- 
* * * *	Myrddin     [email-masked], [email-masked]
 * * *  (042) 854482
  * *   Winner of the "Dizzy Queen of the Month Award" for the month 
   *         of May .. not one of my better months.