Subject: Re: Tomato VFN?

From: [email-masked] (Arlene Gaudet)
Date: 6 Jun 1995 05:36:15 -0700

Regarding the code VFN, plants with that combination of disease resistence
are resistent to verticillium, fusarium wilt and nematodes.  Some tomatoes
are also resistent to tobacco mosaic virus, which would be indicated by a
T in the code.  UKurt's tomato is probably not resistent to tobacco mosaic
virus, so (I've been told) smokers should stay out of the tomato patch.
Arlene

On Mon, 5 Jun 1995, [email-masked] wrote:

> Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 16:35:44 GMT
> From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Tomato VFN?
> 
> On 2 Jun 1995 21:09:00 -0400, 
> UKurt  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> >I recently bought a tomato plant that had VFN on the label.  What does
> >that mean?
> >
> If I remember correctly "VFN" refers to that particular hybrid's resistance 
> to Tobacco Mosaic Virus and perhaps other diseases.  Other combinations of 
> letters can be found in connection with other hybrids; the more letters (up 
> to 4) the better.  I'm sure someone can give a more precise answer.
> 
> 
>