Subject: damaged apple tree

From: [email-masked] (Joanne Koch)
Date: 11 Jun 1996 13:25:35 GMT

I have a young apple tree in my yard that in the past three years has just begun
to produce fruit. The tree branches off into a "Y". Last fall a bear broke one
side of the "Y" from the tree. We put the limb back on the tree, put putty and
tape around the the joining area and were able to save the entire tree. The tree
has bloomed and is producing fruit again this year. My question is, what should
we do at this point. Should we leave the putty and tape? And if so, for how
long? Or is there an alternative to the putty/tape? And, will the tree scar
around the area where it broke?

---

From: Mike Hardman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 08:35:57 +0100

> around the area where it broke?

Depending on the girth of the trunk at the top of the split,
I'd suggest you bolt the two sides together, using largish washers to spread the force a 
little and save chewing-up the surface as you tighten.  Maybe two bolts - depends on 
the length of the split.  Leave them there permanently - they will eventually get grown 
over.  With your existing 'solution' you should pretty well never remove it either - the 
fork will always be weak - though the tape would have to be loosened periodically.

Good luck
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Hardman , Aldershot, Hampshire, UK.
International Violet Association, Butterfly Conservation, WWFN, etc...
Freelance Photographer, Writer, and Computer Consultant.

---

From: Mike Hardman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 08:37:47 +0100

Good luck

---

From: Mike Hardman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 08:36:45 +0100

Good luck

---

From: [email-masked] (Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 01:41:29 GMT

>around the area where it broke?

Stop by your hardware store and pick up a threaded rod long enough to
pass through both branches about 1 foot above the break.  Not knowing
the size of the tree, a 1/4 to 3/8 inch diameter rod should be used.
Also purchase to large fender washers and two nuts the size of the rod
purchased.

Drill a hole through each branch, centered, so that the rod will pass
through both branches, install the fender washers and nuts, keep one
side flush and tighten only one side until the branches move from
their resting position to 1 inch closer together.

Saw off the excess rod and putty around the inside of each branch
where the rod passes through the hole and paint the outside area
around the washer.

This will give support to the branch.

If you feel your taped area needs additional support, you can possibly
use the left over piece of rod, two more fender washers and two nuts
to secure it in that area.

The bark will eventually grow over the nuts and around the rod holes.

TTUL
Gary