Subject: Re: seed dormancy reviews?

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 3 May 1995 06:02:14 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:

> I am a student at the University of Virginia and am doing a brief library
> project on seed dormancy. I have located a review of current material on seed
> dormancy in Arabidopsis, but have been unable to locate either general
> reviews or reviews of other species. If anyone knows of a good review of seed
> dormancy, I would appreciate it if you could email the name of the reference
> to me. Thank you very much!
> 

Here are some references: two modern books and three pioneer papres dealing
with the subject.
Good luck.

Fenner, M. (1992). Seeds. The Ecology of Regeneration in Plant Communitites.
CAB international, Oxon.

Grime, J.P., Mason, G., Curtisa, A.V. & al., e. (1981). A compairative study of
germination characteristics in a local flora. Journal of Ecology 69, 1017-1059.

Harper, J.L. & Benton, R.A. (1966). The behaviour of seeds in soil. II. The
germination of seeds on the surface of a water supplying substrate. Journal of
Ecology 54, 151-166.

Leck, M.A., Parker, V.T. & Simpson, R.L. (1989). Ecology of soil seed banks.
Academic Press, San Diego.

Thompson, K. & Grime, J.P. (1979). Seasonal variation in the seed banks of
herbaceous species in ten contrasting habitats. Journal of Ecology 67, 898-921. 

 

======================================================================
| Ulf Grandin                     | e-mail [email-masked]     |
| Department of Ecological Botany | fax +46 18 55 34 19              |
| Uppsala University              | voice +46 18 18 28 62            |
======================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrew McLellan)
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 06:28:23 GMT

Also:

Silvertown, J. (1988) The demographic and evolutionary consequences of seed
	dormancy.  In Davy, A.J., Hutchings, M.J. and Watkinson, A.R. (eds)
	Plant population ecology, pp205-219.  Blackwell Scientific 
	Publications, Oxford. 

Andy

[email-masked] wrote:
: In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:

: > I am a student at the University of Virginia and am doing a brief library
: > project on seed dormancy. I have located a review of current material on seed
: > dormancy in Arabidopsis, but have been unable to locate either general
: > reviews or reviews of other species. If anyone knows of a good review of seed
: > dormancy, I would appreciate it if you could email the name of the reference
: > to me. Thank you very much!
: > 

: Here are some references: two modern books and three pioneer papres dealing
: with the subject.
: Good luck.

: Fenner, M. (1992). Seeds. The Ecology of Regeneration in Plant Communitites.
: CAB international, Oxon.

: Grime, J.P., Mason, G., Curtisa, A.V. & al., e. (1981). A compairative study of
: germination characteristics in a local flora. Journal of Ecology 69, 1017-1059.

: Harper, J.L. & Benton, R.A. (1966). The behaviour of seeds in soil. II. The
: germination of seeds on the surface of a water supplying substrate. Journal of
: Ecology 54, 151-166.

: Leck, M.A., Parker, V.T. & Simpson, R.L. (1989). Ecology of soil seed banks.
: Academic Press, San Diego.

: Thompson, K. & Grime, J.P. (1979). Seasonal variation in the seed banks of
: herbaceous species in ten contrasting habitats. Journal of Ecology 67, 898-921. 

:  

:  
:  
:  
:  
:  
:  

: ======================================================================
: | Ulf Grandin                     | e-mail [email-masked]     |
: | Department of Ecological Botany | fax +46 18 55 34 19              |
: | Uppsala University              | voice +46 18 18 28 62            |
: ======================================================================

--
"we have only a short while to please the living but all
eternity to love the dead" 

andrew mclellan			      [email-masked]
institut fuer umweltwissenschaften, der universitaet zuerich