Subject: Transplant Stress

From: Cameron <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 15:43:13 +1100

I am looking into ways in which to reduce the stress involved in the 
procedure of transplanting seedlings.  In Australia we have a rate of up 
to seventy percent loss of native seedlings when being transplanted and 
any reduction in this number would have significant benefits.  We are 
currently looking into the production of a biodegradable container which 
could be directly planted (like Jiffy pots) without the subsequent 
constriction of the roots which many of the current products appear to 
produce.  There is limited information available and therefore ANY 
ASSISTANCE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

---

From: [email-masked] (Marc van Iersel)
Date: 1 Jul 1996 11:05:20 -0700

>ASSISTANCE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
The most likely reason for seedling loss after transplant is severe drought
stress many plants are subjected to after transplant.  There are a few
things you can do to minimize this.
If possible, make sure that the transplants are kept well-watered during the
first two or three weeks after transplant.  It takes the plants some time to
expand their root systems into the surrounding soil.  Plants are very
vulnerable to drought during this period, because the roots can take up
water from only a small volume of the soil.
To help the roots penetrate the surrounding soil, it helps to till the soil
before transplanting.  Depending on what kind of soil you have, this may
also help water penetrate the soil.
You can minimize the water requirements of the plants by treating them with
anti-transpirants.  They form a thin wax layer on the leaves, which reduces
transpiration.  They have been helpfull in transplanting trees and
vegetables.  Be careful with the rate you use, because too high of a rate
can seriously damage the plants.  Hopefully this information will be usefull
to you.
Marc van Iersel			E-mail: [email-masked]
Assistant Professor		
Department of Horticulture	Tel: (770) 412-4766
University of Georgia		Fax: (770) 412-4764
Georgia Station
Griffin, GA 30223-1797