Subject: Re: Poison ivy

From: [email-masked] (BRVan)
Date: 4 May 1995 23:40:52 -0400

>From  what I've read....The toxic compound in poison ivy is an oil called
Urushiol.  It is particularly effective because it binds to the
skin-that's why you are supposed to wash with soap within 30 minutes of
exposure.  After that time, it is bound and starts to do its thing.  There
is a product on the market called TecNue (sp??) that must be some sort of
solvent, because it is effective in removing the oil from the skin several
hours later-worked for me anyhow.

Anyone with a more thorough explanation, I would be interesting in hearing
it too!

---

From: [email-masked] (David Upchurch)
Date: Wed, 03 May 1995 10:43:39 -0800

Does anyone know the mode of action (i.e., the offending compund) in poison
ivy or poison oak?  Not for some reasearch project; just curious.  Please
post here or email.
Thanks in advance.

-- 
David Upchurch, Agouron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
The views presented are strictly my own and may not be those of Agouron
Pharmaceuticals, Inc., or any other entity.