Subject: quartz halogens as plant lights?

From: [email-masked] (Bryan Bankhead)
Date: 20 May 1996 01:41:43 -0400

Does anyone have any experiece with using qtz. halogen lights as sole
source of illumination for plants? I have heard conflicting things about
whether they were useful.

From Richard [email-masked] Thu May 23 14:04:37 EDT 1996
Article: 11005 of bionet.plants
Path: newz.oit.unc.edu!news_server.cs.unc.edu!news-server.ncren.net!taco.cc.ncsu.edu!biosci!agate!ihnp4.ucsd.edu!swrinde!newsfeed.internetmci.com!in2.uu.net!alterdial.uu.net!not-for-mail
From: Richard Mayer <Richard [email-masked]>
Newsgroups: alt.culture.us.southwest,alt.sustainable.agriculture,az.general,bionet.plants
Subject: Re: AZPLANTS: New Listserv for Arizona native plants
Date: 20 May 1996 06:31:06 GMT
Lines: 9
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 206.137.82.32
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 1.22 (Windows; U; 16bit)
To: [email-masked]
Xref: newz.oit.unc.edu alt.culture.us.southwest:5734 alt.sustainable.agriculture:12600 bionet.plants:11005

-- 
In,In.mbx,S,N
Trash,Trash.mbx,S,N
Out,Out.mbx,S,N
Hold-File,Hold-Fil.mbx,M,N

---

From: Tony Travis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 17:22:13 +0000

> whether they were useful.

The quartz/halogen principle permits a very hot bulb envelope to be used 
which does not blacken because of metal evaporating from the filament 
being deposited on the envelope. The light produced is essentially 
black-body radiation at the colour temperature of the filament but the 
heat output in the infra-red region is intense: you can literally cook 
with these lights ...

I've used quartz-halogen lamps for illumination during short-term 
experiments where high light intensity (or narrow bandwidth filters) 
were needed. However, they are probably better suited to heating a 
greenhouse, than providing supplimentary illumination!

	Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:[email-masked]
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB2 9SB, Scotland, UK.     |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687