Subject: Cardinal Rules for Planting Trees

From: "John A. Keslick, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 10:25:23 -0700

Cardinal Rules for Planting Trees

Sizes and Sites:  Do not plant large maturing trees near power lines or
buildings but at least ten feet away from the latter.  Similarly, another
site to avoid is a runway for an airport.  Inevitably, later you would 
have
to top (mutilate) them, an unnecessary waste of time and money.
You will also avoid a fight with the Utilities who may see fit to remove 
a
mature healthy tree to "maintain uninterrupted service".  In the
Philadelphia area , fortunately, they are doing a fine job with their
'natural directional pruning'.
In the city, also, consider that trees planted too deep and with less
than eight feet between curb and sidewalk tend to crack the sidewalk. 
Make sure you know the space required for the roots of the tree to be
planted.  (Ref. John Collins, Temple University, Ambler , PA.)

A particular tree that was once commonly seen in open spaces is the
American Beech.  Planted in open spaces and left alone, the lower
branches will come down, knuckle the ground and then go up again. 
Single trees are aesthetically pleasing just as clusters are which have
the added benefit of low maintenance costs since they tend to help
each other.  And at the edges you could plant wild flowers.

Would you believe that old rotten logs can actually enhance the
landscape?  They act as big sponges, provide moisture during dry
spells and flowers and ferns planted in them can look very nice.

It is important to check the roots before buying a tree or a shrub. If 
only
a few roots are crushed prune them straight across with a sharp tool 
(as if cutting a garden hose).  Do not plant trees with many wounds or
damaged branches or with V-crotches.

Remember, You want to prepare a PLANTING SITE , not just a hole. 
Form a dish-like area, loosen the soil and remove the grass far beyond
the drip line.  It will be harmful to do it after the tree has  taken 
roots. 
But to repeat, trees and grass don't grow well together.  Leave room for
future growth.  Another point to remember is, as studies at the State U.
of North Carolina have shown, that there is no need to fertilize at
planting time and don't overdose in the future with Nitrogen.  Plant the
tree at the depth where the roots are coming off and not where the
burlap is. Do not prune the crown to balance it with the roots.  Brace
only if the tree will not remain upright in a moderate wind.  DO NOT
USE WIRE IN A HOSE, but brace with CAMB GUARDS7 (we
provide free samples).  Mulch with composted materials about 3-4"
thick out to the drip line.  Avoid touching the tree trunk with composted
materials.  Do not use fresh chips.  Keep the soil moist to the depth of
the roots, out the drip line but not water logged.  Prune dead and
decaying branches, but wait for the second growing season for
shaping and organic fertilization.

95/08/05

John A. Keslick Jr.
Professional Modern Arborist

Keslick & Son Modern Arboriculture
Products & Service
610-696-5353
E-mail:”[email-masked]”
Or (WEB SITE) http://www.ccil.org/~treeman/
-- 
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
John A. Keslick Jr.              There is no scientific data to show
Professional Modern Arborist     that TRUNK WRAPS prevent heat or
& Tree Biologist                 cold injuries.  Nor is there any 
Phone: 610-696-5353              data to show that WOUND DRESSINGS
organic tree treatment web site: stop rot.  There is data to show that
http://www.ccil.org/~treeman/    that both can cause decline of
>                                the trees vitality. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\