Subject: Postdoctoral Position, Genetics of Ovule Development

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Gasser)
Date: 23 May 1995 16:22:45 GMT

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION AVAILABLE

A postdoctoral position is available to participate in a genetic,
molecular and structural analysis of ovule development using
Arabidopsis as a model system.  We have isolated a large set of
Arabidopsis mutants with defects in ovule development.  Using classical
and molecular genetic analyses in conjunction with structural
examination of the mutant phenotypes we are elucidating the nature and
interactions of the genes responsible for regulation of ovule
development.  Methods used in the project include - scanning electron
microscopy, laser scanning confocal microscopy, in situ hybridization,
plant transformation, positional cloning, genetic mapping, and analysis
of epistatic interactions.
Applicants should have experience in some combination of analysis of
plant structure, molecular biology, or genetics (or similar experience
in non-plant systems).  This is an excellent opportunity for an
individual skilled in molecular biology to learn more of plant
development while making use of their current skills, or for someone
with a background in plant development to gain experience in molecular
and genetic methods.  While funding is available immediately the
potential of the candidate for obtaining outside funding will be a
consideration in final selection.

Examples of the initial stages of this project can be found in the
following recent publications:

Robinson-Beers, K., Pruitt, R. E., and Gasser, C. S. (1992). "Ovule
development in wild-type Arabidopsis and two female-sterile mutants".
Plant Cell 4, 1237-1249.

Gasser, C. S., and Robinson-Beers, K. (1993). "Pistil Development".
Plant Cell 5, 1231-1239.

Ray, A., Robinson-Beers, K., Ray, S., Baker, S. C., Lang, J. D.,
Preuss, D., Milligan, S. B., and Gasser, C. S. (1994). "The Arabidopsis
floral homeotic gene BELL (BEL1) controls ovule development through
negative regulation of AGAMOUS gene (AG)". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA
91, 5761-5765.

Gaiser, J. C., Robinson-Beers, K., and Gasser, C. S. (1995). The
Arabidopsis SUPERMAN gene mediates asymmetric growth of the outer
integument of ovules. Plant Cell 7, 333-345.

If you are interested in plant development and want to join a dynamic
group at one of the leading plant biology institutions in the world,
please send curriculum vitae and a list of three references to:

Charles S. Gasser
Section of Molecular and Cellular Biology
University of California
Davis, CA  95616

Tel: (916)752-1013
FAX: (916)752-3085
e-mail: [email-masked]
(E-mail communications preferred!)