Subject: Rf: Name change of group

From: LOGAND <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Mar 1995 13:44:34 -0000

I completely agree with suggestions to attempt to put this newsgroup back 
on line. However, I think Botany would be a bad idea since this is 
typically regarded as drawing/disecting plants, throwing quadrats over 
shoulders etc. ie. a wee bit outdated.

It appears that this question of the name 'Botany' as describing our discipline 
of the scientific study of plants and whether it is appropriate today is a very 
contentious one. Whatever the hard facts and real 'dictionary' meaning of the 
word it is no longer valid due to the meaning in people's heads. If Botany 
described adequately the discipline of 'plant science' in modern terms the 
majority of Universities would not be using 'Plant Science or Plant Biology' in 
an attempt to encourage prospective students.

Whatever the means, the end I would like to see is to be rid of those 
people with gardening problems (in the nicest possible way :-)). These type 
of queries (I guess over 50% of the total messages) clutter the net and I 
should think that there are sufficient other networks for these people.

Can something be done? Or are like minded people in the minority - if so 
can we set up another 'scientific plant network'?

David C. Logan 
INRA-ENSA(M)-CNRS 
Montpellier 
FRANCE

[email-masked]