Subject: Sophora seeds

From: [email-masked] (ANNE KNOX)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 09:24:18 -0800

I recently came across a tree in Arizona at a time when I didn't have any key
with me.  I know that it was a Sophora, but the ref. book I have for Arizona    says that Sophora species are herbaceous or shrubby, and this was a 15 foot tree.  It has red seeds, so it could be arizonica - any ideas?  Also, I have 4 seedsof this tree.  I started one by soaking in warm water for a couple of hours, but so far no luck.  I don't want to waste the other three - does anyone have any  suggestions?
	Thanks for any info,
	
	Anne Knox    [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Ready)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 16:03:08 -0500

I don't know what they have in Arizona, but the good old Texas species
_S. secundiflora_, has red seeds and gets to be a 15-foot evergreen tree
easily.
It's usually called a Texas mountain laurel or a mescal bean tree and is
common
in the nursery trade.  I know they are planted in Arizona, since my
in-laws have
one in Sun City West.  They are common on the Edwards Plateau here west
of Austin - I find lots of seeds in my yard every year.  I assume they
have passed through some bird.  The seeds are quite toxic; the indians
used to add one to the mescal to give it a little extra kick.  They are
easy to germinate if you scarify them first.  They are hard to mark,
however; I usually saw on them a bit with a serrated knife.  Just put a
nick in them and plant'em in a jiffy pot.  (I should have some seeds by
the end of the year; one of my plants is flowering now.)  Good luck!

Mike Ready
**************************************************************************
***************
Michael P. Ready, PhD.                        Phone: (512)288-5597
Dept. of Biology                                    [email-masked]
Austin Community College                     [email-masked]
1020 Grove Blvd.
Austin, Texas
HELP!!  Unusual circumstances leave experienced, successful biochemist/
molecular biologist looking for a job!!  15 years experience in gene
manipulation,
heterologous protein expression, mutagenesis, protein isolation and
characterization and a whole lot more.  Good computer skills, FORTRAN
programming, experience as lecturer,  technical editor and  consultant. 
Lots of publications, excellent communications skills, get along with darn
near anybody  and can provide more references than the pope.  Seek
position in or out of lab in infectious disease research, ag or
pharmaceutical biotech.  Contact at above adresses/numbers.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Ready)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 16:03:08 -0500

Mike Ready

---

From: [email-masked] (Clarke Brunt)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 23:26:37 +0000

In Article <[email-masked]> ANNE KNOX 
writes:
>with me.  I know that it was a Sophora, but the ref. book I have for
> Arizona    says that Sophora species are herbaceous or shrubby, and
> this was a 15 foot tree.  It has red seeds, so it could be arizonica 
>any ideas?  Also, I have 4 seedsof this tree.  I started one by 
>soaking 
>in warm water for a couple of hours, but so far no luck.  I don't want
>to waste the other three - does anyone have any  suggestions?

Any chance for Sophora secundiflora - Texas Mountain Laurel. I assume
that this is fairly tree like. I germinated some of these by nicking 
the seed coat prior to soaking. Many of the Leguminosae seem to have
virtually impermeable seed coats, and piercing them often gets them
under way (at the risk of rotting a few).

P.S Please use some line breaks - the above was all one line until
I split it for quotation.

-- 
Clarke Brunt ([email-masked])