Subject: Re: plants with open stomata

From: "David C. Logan" <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 May 1996 19:54:42 +0100

John K. Weaver wrote:

>I'm doing research and need to know about species of plants other than 
>Salix(willow) that never close their stomata? 

Certain angiosperm root-parasties eg. Striga spp. do not close their 
stomata completely under conditions of water deficit or darkness (the 
transpiration stream being (part) of the driving force allowing host to 
parasite transfer of photosynthates etc.). For full details see the 
following references:

Shah, Smirnoff and Stewart, Physiologia Plantarum 69, 699-703, 1987

Smith and Stewart, Plant Physiology, 94, 1472-1476, 1990.

There is also at least one further paper by Smith and Stewart which was 
published in Plant Phys. later (perhaps 1991).

I hope this is of use.

Best Regards,

***************************

[email-masked]

David C. Logan
Department of Plant Science
University of Oxford
South Parks Road
Oxford
OX1 3RB

***************************