Subject: Age of aspen clone

From: "Samuel M. Scheiner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 11:03:39 -0700

I am trying to track down a piece of botanical trivia. I recall hearing 
about a trembling aspen stand, all a single genet, that was estimated to 
be thousands of years old. However, I cannot find the details or the 
original source of this claim. Can anyone help? Thanks.
-- 
**********************************************************               
     
Samuel M. Scheiner                                               
Dept. of Life Sciences (2352)   P.O. Box 37100                    
Arizona State University West   Phoenix, AZ 85069        
Tel: 602-543-6934               Fax: 602-543-6073                        
    
E-mail: [email-masked]  
http://lsvl.la.asu.edu/botany/faculty/scheiner.html                    
**********************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Harris)
Date: 2 Aug 1996 09:14:06 -0600

>original source of this claim. Can anyone help? Thanks.

I'm afraid that I can't help you with a reference but, if it helps, I 
believe the clone you're referring to is located in Fishlake National 
Forest in Utah.

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Ray R. Hinchman)
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 17:11:21 -0600

> original source of this claim. Can anyone help? Thanks.

The article you seek is entitled "Genetic Variation and the Natural History
of Quaking Aspen" BioScience, Vol. 46, No. 1, Jan. 1996. It describes a
quaking aspen clone that is the most massive known organism at 6 million
kilograms, and is in the Wasatch Mountains of Utah, near Fish Lake. It also
has a name: Pando. Hope this helps.  Ray

+-----------------------------------------------+
| Ray R. Hinchman                               |
| Energy Systems Division - Bldg. 372           |
| Argonne National Laboratory                   |
| Argonne, IL   60439-4816  USA                 |
| Voice: (708) 252-3391  FAX: (708) 252-6407    |
| Internet/e-mail: [email-masked]             |
+-----------------------------------------------+