Subject: ORCHIDS

From: [email-masked] (Julia Stone)
Date: 16 May 1995 20:57:06 GMT

HELLO!  I have two orchids, one which is a VANDA and the other 
which is Phaelenopsis.  I am not worried about the Vanda, but
the other one I just got about 2 months ago.  The flowers are
starting to die, which is natural.  But I was told to cut the
stem down to the base when all the flowers die!  This seems 
so drastic.  Is this true?  And will it really recover in a year
its height?  Any advice on this type of orchid is welcome!

Thanks,
Julia

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Kirby)
Date: 17 May 1995 16:47:20 GMT

Best place to go with orchid questions is rec.gardens.orchids

The story behind cutting the Phalaenopsis "flower spike" (actually a 
raceme, I believe) is good if it has browned and died. Always cut orchids 
with a sterile blade though, which can be achieved by using a brand new 
razor blade or by flaming a used one in a propane torch for a few seconds 
or by several other methods. If you leave the raceme there, or cut it to 
one of the nodes (the spots where the flowers are coming out), it may 
grow again and produce more flowers.

-J
-----------------------------                                      -----
        Jeffrey A. Kirby -- Jester of Xanadu -- [email-masked]

Serving the Bay Area for nearly 20 years.

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 May 1995 21:13:16 GMT

for more info, try this site:

http://www.shopping2000.com/shopping2000/venamy/

it has a lot of information about phals.

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 May 1995 21:10:22 GMT

When the very first flowers start to wilt, you should cut the spike as 
close to the base as you can. This is GOOD for the plant as it then 
commences vegetative growth.

The spike containing all the perfect flowers should be treated as any 
cut flower (talk to a florist if you have any questions) and they will 
last as long -- or longer -- in a beautiful vase than on the plant 
itself. I am a commercial grower from florida.