Subject: Plants responding

From: [email-masked] ("Brian Ford")
Date: Sat, 27 May 1995 15:50:23 GMT

What ideas/research/findings etc on sensitivity in plants? I am looking 
at research on environmental interaction, sensing, tropisms etc. Anything 
on the way plants can respond to what goes on. Contacts would help at 
this stage, please!

Brian J Ford.

---

From: [email-masked] (Pedro J. Aphalo)
Date: 29 May 1995 06:24:58 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
says...
>on the way plants can respond to what goes on. Contacts would help at 

You might want to look at these references for info on plant-environment 
interactions:

 Jones,HG (1992): Plants and Microclimate. 2nd ed. Cambridge University
 Press, Cambridge. 428 pages.

 Attridge,TH (1990): Light and Plant Responses. Edward Arnold, London.

 Dusenbery,DB (1992): Sensory Ecology - How Organisms Acquire and respond
 to Information. W. H. Freeman and Co. Ltd., New York. 558 pages.

and for info on plant-plant interactions:

 Ballare,CL (1994): Light Gaps: Sensing the Light Opportunities in Highly
 Dynamic Canopy Environments. In: Exploitation of Environmental
 Heterogeneity by Plants. Ecophysiological Processes Above and Below
 Ground. (Eds: Caldwell,MM; Pearcy,RW) (Physiological Ecology.) Academic
 Press, San Diego, 73-110.

 Also several other chapters in the book above. 

 Ballaré,CL; Scopel,AL; Jordan,ET; Vierstra,RK (1994): Signaling among
 neighboring plants and the development of size inequalities in plant
 populations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A., . (In press) well it must 
 be out by now, but I do not have the full reference at hand.

 Aphalo,PJ; Ballare,CL (1995): On the importance of information-acquiring
 systems in plant-plant interactions. Functional Ecology, 9, 5-14.
 (send me your address if you would like me to send a reprint).

 Bruin J, Sabelis, MW, Dicke M (1995): Do plants tap SOS signals from   
 their infested neighbours? Trends in Ecol. and Evol. 10, 167-170.

 Mattiacci, L, Dicke, M, Posthunus, MA (1995): Beta-glucosidase: elicitor 
 of hervibore-induced plant odors that attract host-searching parasitic 
 wasps. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. of the USA 92, 2036-2040.

 I hope these pointers are useful, and please do not hesitate to contact 
me if you have any more questions.

Regards,

Pedro.

-- 
===============================================================
 Pedro J. Aphalo
 University of Joensuu, Faculty of Forestry
 P.O. Box 111
 FIN-80101 Joensuu, FINLAND
 Internet: [email-masked]
 fax: +358 73 151 3590, tel: +358 73 1513623        ,,,^..^,,,
================================================================