Subject: Pomegranite

From: Ben Levin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 1995 11:42:27 -0400

What are the growing conditions for a pomegranite plant?  We had some 
seeds outside in our compost last fall which over wintered and sprouted 
this spring and are now a few inches tall.  I was wondering if they will 
survive outside here in Philadelphia PA (USA).

Thanx in advance.

Ben
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Lynn M Wiegard)
Date: 10 Aug 1995 07:01:42 GMT

Ben Levin wrote:
: What are the growing conditions for a pomegranite plant?  We had some 
: seeds outside in our compost last fall which over wintered and sprouted 
: this spring and are now a few inches tall.  I was wondering if they will 
: survive outside here in Philadelphia PA (USA).

I have one but am treating it as a houseplant.  Indoors winters, outdoors 
summers.

I have seen them growing outdoors permanently on the isle of Mainau, and 
my boyfriend remembers picking wild pomegranites as a child in S. 
Africa.  Let that be your guide:  they like a dry mediterrainian to dry 
tropical climate.  My mother has grown them as well;  I feel it is safe to 
say that they don't really appreciate cooler weather.  If you want a nice 
looking plant, take it inside in the winter.

Mine loves the hot summer and is very resilient to the heat and dryness.  
If I forget to water what's on my balcony, the pomegranite's the only 
thing that's not wilted.

I am surprised that they made it through the winter.  Interesting.

-->L.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                       [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Department of Computer and Information Science, University of Guelph, ON