Subject: Re: cycad information wanted

From: [email-masked] (John J. Marshall)
Date: 12 Aug 1995 03:36:13 GMT

Zamia integrifolia is the one from S. Florida.  Also known as
Coonite, no , Coontie!  David Jones book, *Cycads of the World*
published by Smithsonian Press is excellent.  Also gives some
propagation info.

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Aug 1995 14:32:59 GMT

This was the first plant business in florida -- used to make a starch 
substitute called Arrowroot. Almost killed every one in the state. 
They're back in abundance now and can be bought at home depot for under 
$10. There are other zamias in the state as well.

---

From: [email-masked] (Scarf Lady)
Date: 14 Aug 1995 08:38:23 -0400

i know the native south florida coontie as Zamia floridana which seems to
flourish in the shade of the pine forest.  this species often yellows in
the direct sun.  the foliage is dark green and the plant forms the overall
shape of an upside down bowl when left to grow in the shade of a forest. 
the plant's overall shape is generally more flattened (like an upside down
plate) when grown in direct sunlight.