Subject: Re: african violets -who to believe?

From: [email-masked] (wojcik)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 21:34:59 GMT

Nanly ([email-masked]) wrote:
: To those of you writing for info on violets - be careful because there are
: many conflicting suggestions in these posts.  Find a good book - "Growing
: to Show," available through African Violet Magazine, is excellent. 
: Contact AVSA (The African Violet Society of America) for info.  Don't
: forget, what works for other people may not work for you. Depends on
: climate, light, etc.  

: African Violet Magazine
: PO Box 3609
: Beaumont, TX 77704
: $15/year
: (409)839-4725

	Or ... better yet, join the Gesneriphiles E-Mail List! It's a group
of gesneriad growers (The African Violet is but one member of the gesneriad
family) and we talk not only about AVs, but about the 500+ other members
of this fascinating family of plants. We're not scientists ... just growers
and other amateurs. To join, send e-mail to:
	[email-masked]

	Come join the fun!

---

From: [email-masked] (ArtLH)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 13:21:33 -0500

Yes, after I posted I realized this too.  In addition to being in a sunny
East window, mine are also directly under a table lamp which in on from
sunset to 1:15 am, so they get about a 19 hour photoperiod altogether. 
The bulb is one of those energy miser fluorescent relpacements.  They have
done better with this than with a regular incandescent, though they were
already thriving.  They seem to need alot of light to become compact,
sturdy plants and bloom cuntinuously, but I certainly wouldn't recommend a
hot western exposure, except maybe in the winter. YMMV.
Art
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<<How can anyone named after a slimy amphibian be third in line to the
presidency?>>

B3 f t cdv g- k s- r+

---

From: [email-masked] (Nanly)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 09:43:23 -0500

To those of you writing for info on violets - be careful because there are
many conflicting suggestions in these posts.  Find a good book - "Growing
to Show," available through African Violet Magazine, is excellent. 
Contact AVSA (The African Violet Society of America) for info.  Don't
forget, what works for other people may not work for you. Depends on
climate, light, etc.  

African Violet Magazine
PO Box 3609
Beaumont, TX 77704
$15/year
(409)839-4725