Subject: What the heck is "Awapuhi"?

From: [email-masked] (Sarah Fox Jahn)
Date: 8 Oct 1995 05:15:23 GMT

[ Article crossposted from misc.health.alternative ]
[ Author was Sarah Fox Jahn ]
[ Posted on 8 Oct 1995 04:39:51 GMT ]

Hi all... 

I am just curious what Awapuhi is. I recently bought a multi-
purpose conditioner with this in it, and was wondering if anyone 
on here might be able to tell me a bit about it :) 

Couldn't find it in any plant books or dictionaries here in my 
apt. 

If this is the wrong group, just push me in the right direction :) 

Thanks for any info!
Sarah Fox Jahn

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward K. Gilding)
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 95 16:56:27 PST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>If this is the wrong group, just push me in the right direction :) 
Awapuhi is a Hawaiian word (I live in Hawaii) for the shampoo and related 
gingers.  Although they aren't native to Hawaii(possibly brought by the 
polynesian settlers?), Hawaiian names were given to a lot of plants.

Shampoo gingers are called just that because the bracts of the flowering 
stalk exude a soapy liquid that in theory could be used for shampoo.  I 
dont know of any solid scientific proof that it helps hair but its known 
to be soapy.  

Awapuhi, when pronounced in correct Hawaiian fashion is 
"AH-VAH-POO-HE"(with a short e at the end)  W's always are pronounced as 
a V.

Shampoo ginger is related to tumeric, ginger, and cardamom.

PS - the manufacturer probably added it to make it sound exotic. Not 
sure, maybe fragrance too as this family has a generally strong distinct 
fragrance.

Sincerely
[email-masked]