Subject: Re: Bromeliad, Tillansia, Germination

From: [email-masked] (Maarten van Helden)
Date: 16 Jun 1995 09:05:42 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
says...
>
>I am interested in germinating and growing seeds from bromeliads, 
>especially tillandsias. Can any one give me any information on the best 
>way to do this.  I live in Central Florida. Thanks
>                                                                     
>Byron R. Kindig
>

The epiphytic tillandsia and other bromeliads seeds are light germinating. 
They need no soil. you can spread them on a piece of bark (cork) or on 
mosquito netting to which they will stick. Hang it outside in a place with 
enough ventilation but not full sun. Spray them every few days and 
wait...wait...wait. They germinate slowly, you might have a good plant in 
4-5 years.

Good luck (be patient)

-- 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
||\\  //||  Dr. Maarten van Helden
|| \\// ||  Dept. of Entomology
||  \/  ||  Wageningen Agricultural University
||||||||||  Binnenhaven 7, 6709 PD
||      ||  Wageningen, the Netherlands
||      ||  Tel +31-8370-85118 Fax +31-8370-84821
||      ||  Email: <[email-masked]>
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++