Subject: Fig tree problem, help

From: [email-masked] (Paul M. Martinelli)
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 15:32:56 GMT

Please help.....

I  have a weeping fig tree that has started to drip a clear sticky
substance from its leaves. Almost all of the leaves are very sticky to 
the touch. Has anyone seen this or know what to  do about it?

thanks

Paul
Martinelli

---

From: [email-masked] (mel turner)
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 03:48:23

>the touch. Has anyone seen this or know what to  do about it?

If you look closely, you will alomost certainly see that your 
Ficus is infested with scale insects.  The sticky stuff is the "honeydew" they 
excrete.

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Jun 1995 11:59:39 GMT

Two questions: How long have you had the tree, and does the tree exhibit 
any other symptoms (i.e., mold, fungus, insects, etc).

This could be a natural happening. Many plants exude a sticky substance 
as part of the pollination/attraction cycle. -gary

---

From: [email-masked] (Maarten van Helden)
Date: 2 Jun 1995 09:27:17 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] says...
>the touch. Has anyone seen this or know what to  do about it?

Sounds to me like an infection with some kind of bacteria. Not 
easy to cure. The fluid that comes out is probably full of 
spores.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
||\\  //||  Dr. Maarten van Helden
|| \\// ||  Dept. of Entomology
||  \/  ||  Wageningen Agricultural University
||||||||||  Binnenhaven 7, 6709 PD
||      ||  Wageningen, the Netherlands
||      ||  Tel +31-8370-85118 Fax +31-8370-84821
||      ||  Email: <[email-masked]>
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---

From: [email-masked] (mel turner)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 1995 00:54:37

>easy to cure. The fluid that comes out is probably full of 

Probably the tree has scale insects that are excreting sticky "honeydew".