Subject: Need Info on Transplanting Pampas Grass

From: Tom Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Aug 1995 12:22:19 GMT

>We have a small clump of pampas grass that is at least six years old.
>It has never done well where it is now.
>
>We want to move the plant somewhere else in the hope that the pampas 
>grass can be used to hide something in the yard.
>
>Suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Tom Horn
>

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Aug 1995 12:40:33 GMT

It's very strong. Simply chop the fronds to the ground, dig it up, move 
it to a well-prepared hole somewhere else, and it will be bigger than 
ever in about six weeks. Best done in the springtime though. Give it 
lots of sun and feed it with a high phosphorus fertilizer starting about 
two weeks after the transplant.

---

From: cheryl wilen <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Aug 1995 17:57:34 GMT

> >Suggestions would be appreciated.
Are you sure that's what you want to do?  Pampas grass is very invasive, 
So you may end up with the plant in places where you never intended it
to grow. However, if you have your heart set on transplanting it, all you have to do 
is dig up the clump and put it down in the hole where you want it.
Be sure to water it after tranplanting. I usually don't cut back the foliage before transplanting
but you may want to cut it back about to about 3 feet high.
If you don't want it to spread you may consider moving it to 
a large planter (at least 20 gal. size).
Cheryl Wilen
My recommendations are not necessarily those of my employer.