Subject: Re: 'Carnivorous' Plants - Need Expert(s)

From: [email-masked] (mel turner)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 18:49:04

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ed Griffin) writes:
>I have one Nepenthes, species unknown (reference books disappeared
>with Andrew), which clambers about my patio, and for the first time it
>is flowering. I need to know if a single plant will set seed, ageing
>and germination of seed if set, & etc..

Sorry, but Nepenthes is dioecious (there are separate staminate and pistillate 
plants, and you need both for seeds).  Anyway, the seeds are very minute.  I'm 
sure there are good how-to books on carnivouous plant  and their cultivation 
out there, but I have no recommendation.
mdt

---

From: [email-masked] (Ed Griffin)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 17:29:33 -0500 (EST)

This appears to be a learned newgroup - please forgive the intrusion,
but I don't know where else to start.

I need to find either

 - a Society devoted to 'carnivorous' plants in general and Nepenthes
spp. in particular (I know there's one in California somewhere), or

- a botanist who is knowledgeable about the cultivation of Nepenthes
spp..

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Burden)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 23:22:39 GMT

>and germination of seed if set, & etc..

There's a Carnivorous Plant mailing list.  Send "help" to
"[email-masked]".

There's also a Carnivorous Plant Web site at
<http://www.hpl.hp.com/bot/cp_home>
This site features several dozen Nepenthes images. 
-- 
Don Burden
New Albany, Indiana, USA
[email-masked]

---

From: Charles Duncan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 95 00:37:23 -0500

sorry for the intrusion.
I'm interested in pitcher plants and am having a small problem.. they die.
I noticed in your letter a referance to southern cal. I'm in the riverside area
where abouts are you, where did you get your plants?
Any suggestions as to why my small pichers dies?
again sorry for the butt in

---

From: Charles Duncan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 95 00:42:23 -0500

by any chance are you in southern california?

---

From: [email-masked] (Clarke Brunt)
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 1995 21:13:30 +0000

>and germination of seed if set, & etc..

Try the carnivorous plant mailing list. Send mail to 
[email-masked], putting in the message the line:
subscribe CP Your name

You might also put 'help' on another line, for the listserv help.
The same listserv also runs a list called CACTI_ETC.

The people on these lists must know most of what there is to know
on these subjects. There is also a Web site associated with the CP 
list.

-- 
Clarke Brunt ([email-masked])

---

From: Martin Spethman <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Apr 1995 18:02:50 GMT

I was trying to locate information on Carnivorous Plants and found your 
message.  I could not access the Web site you mentioned.  Is that the 
correct address and do you have any other sources for basic information 
on CP. Thanks!

---

From: [email-masked] (Wim Osterholt)
Date: 11 Apr 1995 19:30:16 GMT

Martin Spethman ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I was trying to locate information on Carnivorous Plants and found your 
: message.  I could not access the Web site you mentioned.  Is that the 
: correct address and do you have any other sources for basic information 
: on CP. Thanks! 

The CP listserver can be reached at [email-masked].
Just put HELP into the first line of your msg.

The CP web page can be found at //www.hpl.hp.com/bot/cp_home .
Remember that the connection may be difficult depentdant from where you try
to access it.

--

Regards, Wim.

----- [email-masked] -----
      ([email-masked])