Subject: Help with Kalanchoes.

From: [email-masked] (Carole Judd)
Date: 15 May 1995 02:20:56 -0400

Please help!  My Kalanchoe was beautiful when I got it.  How do I get it
to flower again??  Someone told me it needs 13 hours of darkness.  How on
earth do I manage that?  If this isn't true, please tell me what to do!

Thanking you in advance.   

 Carole

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 1995 17:30:15 GMT

The plant needs a lot of light, and a lack of flowering is more likely 
associated with luminance, not darkness. Many plants are day-length 
sensitive, but most adapt to home care and flower anyway. Also, you 
should consider feeding the plant with a fertilizer high in Phosphorus 
(the center number in the x-x-x formulation provided with most foods.) 
If all else fails, put the plant in a plastic bag with a piece of cut 
apple. Open the bag every day to avoid too much moisture building up. A 
gas given off by the apple will make the plant bloom. This is an old 
pineapple-growing trick.