Subject: Angelica/Cicuta hybridization possible?

From: [email-masked] (Henriette Kress)
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 1996 08:46:36 GMT

'lo bionet.planters,

we have a very interesting discussion about Angelica toxicity on the culinary
herblist, and this came up. Can any of you verify if indeed it is possible for
an Angelica to crossbreed with a Cicuta? And if it's possible, has it been
observed in the wild?

>From: Laurie Otto <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Cc: Multiple recipients of list HERBS <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Poisonous Angelicas?

(snipped some things)

>Discovering Wild Plants - Alaska, Western Canada, the Northwest by Janice 
J. Schofield has a very lengthy discussion of the angelica species 
including Angelica genuflexa and Angelica lucida also known as Angelica 
archangelica Gmelinii.  She cites the use of angelica for food and its 
similarity to poison water hemlock.  She then notes "Complicating matters 
of harvesting angelica, is the claim of Soldotna, Alaska botany 
instructor, Boyd Shaffer, that Cicuta and Angelica have been found 
hybridizing.  Shaffer says laboratory analysis at Kenai Peninsula 
Community COllege laboratory on angelica roots have substantiated these 
findings.  Hybridized plants exhibit the chambered roots of Cicuta, says 
Shaffer; he strongly recommends foragers slice and examine each root 
before using, discarding any plant that exhibits a chambering effect."  
At another point Schofield writes "Though wild angelica is still eaten 
extensively in many areas of Alaska, one source reported that the herb is 
harvested around Wales but avoided near Nome.  In a St. Marys interview, 
I was told angelica is avoided becasue 'the difference can no longer be 
told between wild celery and poison hemlock.'  The problem is not yet 
clearly attributable to hybridization, peculiar soil conditions causing 
toxicity, or identification difficulties.  Until further documentation is 
available concerning safety of northwestern species, I do not recommend 
the plant for internal use (unless cultivated in home gardens).  Finally 
Schofield notes the following: "Earth Medicine, Earth Foods (Michael A. 
Weiner, Collier Books, 1972) reports that fresh angelica root is toxic 
and was used by Canadian Indians to commit suicide.  Dried roots lose 
this poisonous property.  Even dried roots, however, can adversely affect 
the heart and blood pressure and paralyze the cental nervous system if 
>taken immoderately."

Unless above is indeed possible the only toxicity of the angelicas would be
their inducing photosensitivity due to furocoumarins.

We're awaiting your comments with thanks - angelica season is coming up soon in
some places, and the season is in full flower in others  ;)

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress             [email-masked]            Helsinki, Finland
http://sunsite.unc.edu/herbmed FTP: sunsite.unc.edu or sunsite.sut.ac.jp
      /pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/herbal-medicine/
Medicinal and Culinary herbFAQs, plant pictures, neat stuff, archives...