Subject: Tropical epiphyte pigmentation

From: [email-masked] (Frederick Michael DOROSH)
Date: 3 Apr 1995 17:47:54 GMT

I was recently at a tropical biology conference held by some students
at a local college, who were at a loss to explain the red pigmentation of
certain succulent-type epiphytes. (Bromeliads in particular)

	I gather that the pigment responsible for the red colouring is a
clorophyll 'substitute', the name escapes my memory and probably my
spelling talents. At any rate, they claimed not to have found any 
satisfactory information pertaining to the occurence of this pigment in
epiphytes, to which environmental or genetic factors it may be correlated.

	How far has this phenomenon been researched?

'DKc

---

From: [email-masked] (john markwell)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 15:13:06 GMT

>'DKc
While I don't have any specific knowledge of epiphytes, the red 
pigmentation in leaves and berries is usually an anthocyanin.  This is
a water soluble pigment which does not contribute to photosynthesis.  
Some red colors, however, can be carotenoids (e.g. tomato fruit andred
peppers).  One good, clasic source of information is a two volume 
"Chemistry and Biochemistry of Plant Pigments" edited by T.W. Goodwin 
in 1976 and published by Academic Press.  One way to quickly check 
such plant material would be to grind in methanol with about 1% HCl.  
Filter out the debris and dilute an aliquot with an equal volume of 
water.  Then extract with diethyl ether or petroleum ether.  
Carotenoids will go into the ether phase whild anthocyanins will stay 
in the aqueous phase.  I have also done this partitioning with vinegar
and vegetable oil, so access to a real chem lab is not essential.

Hope this helps.

--
John Markwell			Phone: 402-472-2924
Dept. Biochemistry		FAX:   402-472-7842
University of Nebraska		Internet: [email-masked]
Lincoln, NE  68583-0718