Subject: propagating citrus

From: [email-masked] (CDesley)
Date: 1 May 1996 22:46:52 -0400

I'm interested in propagating citrus trees from cuttings (for my own
personal use, not commercially).  If anyone has any useful suggestions
please let me know.  I've tried several times over the past few years
without success.

Thanks in advance.

---

From: Joel Kroin <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 May 1996 04:08:40 GMT

Take spring cuttings from the current growth, with 3-5 leaf, after the 
stems have somewhat hardened. Use a low concentration rooting hormone 
such as Rhizopon AA #1 (available from V-J Growers Supply 800-327-5422).
Plant in a warm tray with moist media, not wet, maintained at 70-75F. 
Cover with plastic. Keep in light but not bright sun (too hot)
You should obtain roots within 10-20days.

regards
JK
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Fure-Chyi Chen ���ֺX)
Date: 1 May 1996 23:06:29 -0700

The general way of propagating citrus is to graft the bud/sshoot to a 
rootstock plant/seedling. Chen

---

From: "Gregory J. Long, Ph.D." <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 May 1996 16:58:24 GMT

Hello, 

I don't knoiw about cuttings, but citrus are very easy to propagate from 
seeds.  The seeds can simply be cleaned and planted fresh (no drying 
period required).  I have several citrus trees I haves started this way, 
including orange and grapefruit tress ( I have a couple of three year old 
grapefruit trees that are about 4 feet tall.  Give the plants plenty of 
moisture and sunlight, they don't like to dry out a lot.  And keep them 
fairly warm.  Here in Illinois I keep mine in large planters and move 
them outside in the warm season and bring them in for the cold.

Greg Long
[email-masked]