Subject: Re: HELP: Ficus tree has bugs!

From: [email-masked] (SSpruill)
Date: 22 Jan 1996 22:31:46 -0500

Use Safer's Incecticidal soap available at any good garden center

From Henk Beentje Sat Jan 27 22:41:37 EST 1996
Article: 9652 of bionet.plants
Newsgroups: bionet.plants
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!gatech!newsfeed.internetmci.com!tank.news.pipex.net!pipex!dish.news.pipex.net!pipex!rbgkew.org.uk!usenet
From: Henk Beentje
Subject: Re: Ravenea xerophila
X-Nntp-Posting-Host: hbeentje-pc
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked] (News Daemon)
Organization: The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, TW9 3AE, England
X-Newsreader: <WinQVT/Net v3.9>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 10:19:28 GMT
Lines: 28

Mike Maxson <[email-masked]> writes:

>I am interested in talking with other people who are growing
>this palm that comes from Madagascar.
>
>The plant that I have is small 6in. high. about five leaves
>I water this palm very little(once every two weeks at the most)
>
>It seems to grow best in the warm summer months here in S. 
>California. It still puts out new growth in the winter, slowly.
>
>please respond if your are growing this palm or have any 
>information on this palm.

One of my favourite palms! I saw it in the wild in southern
Madagascar and it is utterly beautiful. It thrives on ridge
crests on quite poor soils, in dry bushland, but I think it
is confined to ridgecrests because it likes the moisture of
the clouds - like a fine spray ever so often! (not too often,
though - it is a really semi-arid area with succulent Euphorbs
and Aloes)
Check out the book on Madagascar palms which has a photo of
a mature R. xerophila. 
http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/herbarium/palms/madpalms.html

Unashamed plug, this - I'm co-author. 

Henk