Subject: Re: Pests and marigolds

From: [email-masked] (Herman Meekes)
Date: 14 Mar 1995 16:44:35 -0800

On March 14 1995 Larissa Williams wrote:

>Actually, this post consists of two separate questions.  The first
>regarding a specific pest.  Can anybody identify for me the tiny, white,
>"hopping" creatures I find on the soil of certain of my houseplants.
>They are most noticeable during watering of the plants, as they them
>seem to be disgruntled.  I managed to drown most of them by continuously
>dousing my plants in the sink, though while stirring up the soil with a
>spoon while doing so, more appear.
>     My questions:
>1.  What are they?
>2.  Are they harmful to plants?  If so, what part (roots, stem)?
>3.  Is there a sure-fire method of getting rid of them, and keeping them
>from spreading to other plants?
>4.  Are they plant-specific?

These tiny creatures are most likely primitive insects called Collembola.
They have an English name as well: springtails. Most of these have a forked
organ at the ventral side of the abdomen with which they can jump many
times their bory length, to avoid predators. They thrive on moist soils, so
you will not readily drown them. Springtails most probably are not harmful
to plants, since they feed on soil debris. They actually decompose plant
litter and convert it to plant nourishment. Their presence may indicate
that you keep your plants too moist. Letting the soil dry more than you are
used to (without getting your plants to wilt of course!) will let you get
rid of most springtails.

>
>Okay, on to the next question.  Regarding marigolds, is there a specific
>variety which I should use to "keep pests out of my vegetable garden"
>(as is commonly advertised) this year, or is there a certain species
>that has this repelling effect?  Also, how densely (how close to one
>another) should I plant them.  I tried planting seeds from a run-of-the-
>mill marigold I had - around the periphery of my garden last year; they
>grew well, but didn't flower until the fall, and were selectively dying,
>so I ended up with very few.  And if I need to get a special sort, where
>can I procure such?  Thanks!

I'm sorry. I don't know anything to answer to this question. Maybe someone else?

Herman Meekes
Biological Sciences            ______________       ______________
University of Missouri           ---__       \     /       __---
109 Tucker Hall                       ------__\---/__------
Columbia, MO. 65211, USA                      \( )/
Tel: 314-882-0171                               V
Fax: 314-882-0123                              / \
e-mail: [email-masked]       /___\

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Popham)
Date: 17 Mar 1995 04:28:01 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] 
(Herman Meekes) writes: 

>> Regarding marigolds, is there a specific
>>that has this repelling effect? 
The smelly little yellow ones. Sometimes they are orange in color.
>> Also, how densely (how close to one
>>another) should I plant them. 
The marigolds I have used have always been about 12 inches wide so I
plant 12 inches between seed holes.
>> I tried planting seeds from a run-of-the-
>>grew well, but didn't flower until the fall,
They do not like to bloom in warm weather!! Perhaps your area is too 
warm or dry. Try planting them in the semi-shaded areas and water them
lots! Most marigold that I deal with are thirsty.
>> and were selectively dying,
>>so I ended up with very few.  And if I need to get a special sort, 
>>where can I procure such?  Thanks!
You should be able to locate them fairly easy. Simply ask the nurseries 
in your area about this marigold. Tell them what effects you want to 
acheive and hopefully they can help.
 Lots-o-luck,
Wendy

          ______________       ______________
             ---__       \     /       __---                            
                  ------__\---/__------
                          \( )/
  P.S.- nice bird !         V
                           / \
                          /___\

-- 

   *==*
 * ---- *
 -*RIFF*-  [email-masked]
 * ---- *
   *==*