Subject: Cycad choice help?

From: [email-masked] (Steve Cosman)
Date: 25 May 1995 11:29:47 -0600

Hi Netters!

Does anyone out there have any knowledge on Cycads such that he (or she)
could recommend suitable species for me to house in my apartment.  It
should not be too tall or wide and should be a stately-appearing tree.
(The genuses Zamia and Microzamia are likely out-of-the-question.)
I will send more detailed information as to the plant(s) I want and my
housing conditions to someone who would agree to help me choose sonm!

Before I'm referred to a book, let me point out that my vision is not
too great!  (That's likely an understatement!)

Will anyone out there help me choose?  If nobody's reachable
by email, perhaps someone could refer me to a snail-mail source.

Steve				[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (NJH0323)
Date: 26 May 1995 23:48:13 -0400

We have used Cycas revoluta (I think that's the specific name) in our
Botany lab indoors for many years.  I wouldn't call it a "stately-looking
tree" but it has been confined to the same pot so maybe hasn't had a
chance to grow larger.  This is the "Sago Palm" type of cycad, and they
can get very big and stately in greenhouses.
  This one might work for you in your apartment.  I love cycads...they are
very cool!  The only problem we have with it is attacks of scale insect,
which you can get rid of by wiping down the leaves with alcohol if you
notice an attack.
  At least, Cycas can grow for many years indoors, and might be just for
you!
Good luck...N.Harrison in Northern Calif.

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 May 1995 11:38:56 GMT

Dioons, which are of mexican origin, could likely work in a house. They 
need a lot of good air circulation, but many do not like direct 
sunlight. I have a dioon edule which has grown with me through houses, 
apartments, some with not great conditions. Email me if you want more 
info.

---

From: Anne Bourne & Will Roberds <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 May 1995 01:33:26 GMT

> Path:
nntp5.mindspring.com!matlock.mindspring.com!news.sprintlink.net!gatech!psi
Cycas revoluta has done very well for me with summers outside & winters
inside.  Scale can be a problem.