Subject: Squaw berry

From: [email-masked] (Michael L Roginsky )
Date: 11 Sep 1995 20:58:14 GMT

Some of you know me by now, but I will repeat for the benefit
of those who don't. I live in the piedmont area of GA, on the last
30 acres of pristine and mature forest, ie, hardwoods only.
In the bottom land I have among other plants a groundcover
called in native GA plant books as squaw berry. It interesting
because the product of twin flowers is a small very red berry.

The old folks tell me it was used by the Cherokees to make a
tea useful in the treatment of menstrual cramps.

The whole environment around me is impacting adversely with
new subdivisions sprouting all around me. The creek that once
had enough fish to make a meal and crawfish to make a boil is
so silted that it is practically devoid of life. My question to
you all "how can I protect this species keeping in mnd a big
sewer line right-of-way is coming across the bottom land". The
sewer obviously must follow the creek fall as it meanders some
30 miles before feedind into Lake Allatona, a damm owned and maintained
by the US Corps of Engineers.

Please reply if you wish to Mike Roginsky, [email-masked].

Thanks to all............