Subject: Re: Humulus and Cannabis Hybrids ? (NOT grafts)

From: Don Martinson <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 May 1995 14:30:19 GMT

All I have ever seen is reference to grafts.  The problem with trying to
find some sort of published reference to cross-breeding is the 
governments continuing paranoia about marijuana.  The amount of 
paperwork necessary to do any type of research on or with the plant is 
tremendous.  The bottom line is that if anyone did achieve a successful 
hybrid, they would probably not publish the information.  It's a very 
interesting concept though.  I'll be interested to see your other 
replies.

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Jordan)
Date: 3 May 1995 18:19:07 GMT

Does any-one know if a hybrid between those two species is possible ?
I know they can be grafted (without making a buzzy hop) so
maybe they could be hybridized .....

Where do I look to see if this has been already done ?

I've tried Bio. Abs. wiothout too much success (I'll try again after
I post this) before ... are there any other plant (breeding) resources
out there I can check ?

Thanks in Advance;

Peter Jordan

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Jordan)
Date: 7 May 1995 05:34:54 GMT

[email-masked] (Lophophora Williamsii) writes:

>Wouldn't you think that with all the pot being grown in Humboldt and
>Mendocino counties in California, not to mention Oregon, that some of
>the hops grown in those areas could perhaps be hybridized by accident?
>Of course most of the pros pull the males before they pollinate.  I
>guess this would cut back on cannabis pollen.  But in Texas, an
>allergist friend of mine said that, although they didn't publicize it,
>their pollen counts always included cannabis during July and August.

Hmmm.

Lets assume for the sake of argument that some kind of genetic barrier
exists to allowing hybridization between these plants.
This does not preclude ............ forced hybridization
perhaps by microinjection and tissue culture techniques....
	maybe.

Experiments are needed.

Peter Jordan

---

From: [email-masked] (Lophophora Williamsii)
Date: Fri, 05 May 1995 05:48:19 GMT

Don Martinson <[email-masked]> wrote: