Subject: Lycopersicon/Solanum phylogeny question

From: [email-masked] (John True)
Date: 11 May 1995 14:11:57 GMT

I'm interested in divergence of genetic maps between closely related
species and I was wondering if someone could point me toward a reference
containing the _estimated time since divergence_ of the Lycopersicon and
Solanum genera.  A recent literature search came up empty.

Thanks in advance.

<=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=>
John True                                         
e-mail:[email-masked]
Zoology Dept.                                              voice:
919-613-8150
DCMB Group/Genetics Program                                  fax:
919-613-8177
B338 Levine SRC Box 91000                                            
Standard
Duke University Durham NC 27708-1000                               
Disclaimer
<=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=><=..=>

---

From: [email-masked] (mel turner)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 14:30:51

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (John True) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (John True)
>Subject: Lycopersicon/Solanum phylogeny question
>Date: 11 May 1995 14:11:57 GMT

>Solanum genera.  A recent literature search came up empty.

Hi, John.
      First, Lycopersicon is probably really just a sister group to some other 
small species group within Solanum, not to Solanum as a whole  (i.e., 
recognizing Lycopersicon as a separate genus instead of as a subgroup of 
Solanum  makes Solanum paraphyletic).  I'm sure there have been some pretty  
recent symposium volumes published on systematics of Solanaceae-- I saw one in 
the herbarium just recently.  I can help you look for it if you like.   Leave 
a note in my mailbox or e-mail me if you want to get together
mdt