Subject: Fauna Census & Inventory methods

From: [email-masked] (Keith Winston)
Date: 19 May 1995 03:04:51 GMT

I'm working with The Nature Conservancy to gather information for one
part of the new edition of the Rapid Ecological Assessment manual,
associated with RAP, the Rapid Assessment Program.  (More on this at
bottom).  I am cross-posting this, please excuse duplications.  Please
post it anyplace pertinent that I forgot.  Thanks.

I need information on field census and inventory methods for
(terrestrial) fauna.  I can use information on all categories of fauna,
micro to macro, invertebrates, birds, fish, etc.  Pelagic methodologies
aren't relevant here, though other aquatic techniques may be.

I don't need very long descriptions, at least initially.  Ideally, what
I'd like is:

1) the description of a method, relatively succinct.
2) any references to published studies that used the method, especially
those that seemed particularly important or contain an especially clear
description of the technique.
3) a list of contacts, ideally with affiliation, email, and phone #'s,
that are well-acquainted with the technique.
4) PLEASE use the subject line "RAP methods"

I would prefer a redundancy of information to a dirth, please send
anything you have.  If the above structure doesn't suit you, send your
thoughts or information anyway, please.

The Rapid Ecological Assessment manual is used in the development and
implementation of rapid assessment efforts.  These are quick, efficient
projects aimed at evaluating the ecological status and conservation
value of an area.  They may be undertaken by government agencies or
private groups (NGO's).  The Nature Conservancy has been working with
groups worldwide to increase the use of REA's in order to assist in
setting conservation goals and priorities.

I believe these cross-postings to be a useful way to reach a wide
audience for an important cause.  I'm sorry if it's an inconvenience. 
Thank you for your understanding and help.

Keith Winston
Conservation Biology
University of Maryland
[email-masked]
W: (202) 833-8748

---

From: [email-masked] (Una Smith)
Date: 20 May 1995 17:30:48 GMT

[email-masked] (Keith Winston) writes:

>I am cross-posting this, please excuse duplications. ...

Nope, you did not cross-post your article.  You posted N separate
copies.  Cross-posting means posting *one* copy, with more than
one newsgroup in the Newsgroups: line.  Please read the man page
for your Usenet software.

>(terrestrial) fauna. 

This is not exactly relevant to bionet.plants.

Have you done a literature search, for starters?  There are many
recent texts on field census methods.  And bibliographic keyword
searches are quite useful for this field of ecological research.