Subject: Re: Where are the Wildflowers right now?

From: Michael Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Mar 1995 01:40:58 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Helen Claudia Gremillion,
[email-masked] writes:
>Subject: Where are the Wildflowers right now?
>From: Helen Claudia Gremillion, [email-masked]
>Date: 13 Mar 1995 19:50:30 -0800
>>To all wildflower lovers:
>
>I'm going on my yearly wildflower appreciation roadtrip
>March 20-26.  Looking for some good pointers.  How is
>Anza Borrego doing?  Antelope Valley?  Sierra foothills?
>Death Valley?  Any other good areas?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Tom S.  (using H.G.'s acct)

The Southern and Southeastern Anza-Borrego is in full bloom: Fouquieria,
Beleperone, Sphaeralcea...all the usual suspects...even the Asclepias
subulata
is blooming.  Ajo Lilies are HUGE...the best I have seen in over a decade,
from Desert Center down to below the Mexican border.  Orthocarpus and the
several Eschscholtzias are in full bloom on the Arizona side all the way
to
the White Tank Mtns west of Phoenix...and the Encelia farinosa floats in
grand silver-and-yellow profusion from Tucson to Julian.  

The Hyptis is also at a decade-peak of blooming...I even saw a hillside of
Thamnosma covered in little evil purple-bell flowers.  A great year!  Had
a 
chance to watch the Palm Canyon stand of Washingtonias getting happily
flooded
by torrential rains this last Saturday.

Michael Moore ([email-masked])

(GOPHER and WWW)
  gopher://president.oit.unc.edu:70/11/../.pub/academic/medicine
  /alternative-healthcare/Southwest-School-of-Botanical-Medicine
(ANONYMOUS FTP)
  sunsite.unc.edu     /pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/
  Southwest-School-of-Botanical-Medicine

All the SWSBM teaching and clinical manuals, JPEGs of Medicinal Plant 
photographs and class announcements can be obtained at these sites.

---

From: [email-masked] (Pierre A Plauzoles)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 19:12:58 GMT

In a previous article, [email-masked] (Jim Everett) says:

>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>(Helen Claudia Gremillion) wrote:
>
>Call the Anza Borrego Wildflower Hotline 619/767-4684 for current status
>and best viewing areas.  In A-B, the peak bloom is probably a few weeks
>away yet (as of 3/12).

Hello.  I am looking for a few pointers myself.  Does anyone out there 
know of any good localities where Bernardia incana can be found reliably?

I have heard the Anza-Borrego's season has already started but is likely 
to last a while.  I was in the Desert Center/Granite Pass area on Monday 
(3/20) and, where flowers are concerned (as opposed to non-blooming plants), 
the desert lily was common, one of the Oenothera (Oe californica, I 
believe) was too.  Carpets of a composite I could not identify were all 
over the place, and fiddleneck was beginning to bloom here and there.  
Everything in Box Canyon was blooming except mimbre (desert willow, 
Chilopsis linearis), which was represented by only one plant in bloom.  
Others we saw included western thorn apple (Datura innoxia), beavertail 
cactus (Opuntia basilaris) and two species of milkweed (Asclepias erosa 
[?]) and another I could not identify (I don't think it was A subulata, 
though) that has dentate leaves but does resemble A erosa to some 
extent.  The milkweed however, was not blooming yet.

Since the main purpose of my trip was to observe the state of affairs in 
the area in preparation for a butterfly-observation trip, I did not 
really go out of my way to observe every plant out there, although maybe 
I should have anyway :-).

-- 
Pierre Plauzoles   [email-masked]
Canoga Park, California