Subject: BEN # 108

From: [email-masked] (Adolf Ceska)
Date: 31 Jul 1995 23:56:37 -0700

BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             ISSN 1188-603X
BB   B   EE       NNN  N
BBBBB    EEEEE    NN N N             BOTANICAL
BB   B   EE       NN  NN             ELECTRONIC
BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             NEWS

No. 108                              July 31, 1995

[email-masked]        Victoria, B.C.
-----------------------------------------------------------
 Dr. A. Ceska, P.O.Box 8546, Victoria, B.C. Canada V8W 3S2
-----------------------------------------------------------

VASCULAR PLANTS NEW TO BRITISH COLUMBIA FLORA
>From  : Dr. George W. Douglas <[email-masked]>

The  following  taxa,  recently  collected or discovered in her-
baria, are new to the flora of British Columbia  (at  least  ac-
cording  to The Vascular Plants of BC). These writeups are taken
>from  the soon to be published BC Conservation Data  Centre  Rare
Plant  Manual.  They  will  also  appear  in the new revised and
illustrated version of The Vascular Plants of BC.

Arabis calderi G. Mulligan
     Calder's rockcress
     Habitat/Range: Mesic dry meadows and forest openings in the
          montane to alpine zones (BWBS, ESSF, AT); rare in  NW,
          SC and SE BC; N to SW YT and NT and E to SW AB.
     Global/Provincial Rank: G3 S2S3
     Notes:  This  taxon  was  recently  described  by  Mulligan
          (1995). Previously, sheets of this species were  iden-
          tified  mostly  as either A. drummondii or A. lyallii,
          its closest relatives (Mulligan 1995). Arabis  calderi
          may  be  separated  from  A. drummondii by its 3-rayed
          trichomes and from A. lyallii and  A.  divaricarpa  by
          its erect and appressed siliques.
     Voucher  specimen(s): Blackwall Peak, C.C. Chuang 1364 - V;
          Cairn Peak, F. Tusko 49-514 - UBC.

Arabis codyi G. Mulligan
     Cody's rockcress
     Habitat/Range: Moist to mesic sites  in  the  montane  zone
          (SBS);  rare  in WC BC, known recently only from Perow
          (Bulkley River Valley); N to YT.
     Global/Provincial Rank: G1 S1
     Notes: This species  was  recently  described  by  Mulligan
          (1995) and may be distinguished from A. lyallii and A.
          lemmonii var. drepanoloba by its narrower siliques and
          forked, rather than rayed, trichomes (Mulligan 1995).
     Voucher specimen(s): Perow, T.M.C. Taylor 468 - UBC.

Arabis hirsuta (L.) Scop. var. hirsuta
     Hairy rockcress
     Habitat/Range:  Rock  outcrops  and  disturbed sites in the
          montane zone (ESSF); rare in SE BC,  known  only  from
          Glacier  National  Park;  circumpolar, S to CO, NV and
          CA; Eurasia.
     Global/Provincial Rank: G5T5 S1?
     Notes: This  species,  originally  described  from  Europe,
          remained  unknown  in  North  America  until  Mulligan
          (1995) recently identified a number of specimens  from
          the  western  U.S.  and  BC.  It may be separated from
          other varieties of A. hirsuta in BC  by  it  generally
          beakless siliques (Mulligan 1995).
     Voucher  specimen(s):  Glacier  National Park, Haber 1685 -
          CAN.

Arabis lemmonii S. Wats. var. depauperata (A. Nels.  &  Kennedy)
     Roll. (A. depauperata A. Nels. & Kennedy)
     Lemmon's rockcress
     Habitat/Range:  Moist to mesic rocky slopes and outcrops in
          the subalpine and alpine zones (AT, ESSF); rare in  SW
          and  SC  BC  east of the Coast-Cascade Mountains; N to
          AK, YT and NT, E to SK and S to ND, UT, NV and CA.
     Global/Provincial Rank: G5T? S1?
     Notes: We prefer to treat this taxon as  a  member  of  the
          variable  A.  lemmonii  complex  rather  than as a new
          species (A. depauperata) as Mulligan (1995) has  done.
          This variety may be separated from var. drepanoloba by
          its  more  narrow  siliques  and  secund inflorescence
          Mulligan (1995).
     Voucher specimen(s): Blue Creek, Beamish 610100 - UBC.

Arabis lemmonii S. Wats. var.  drepanoloba  (Greene)  Roll.  (A.
     drepanoloba Greene)
     Lemmon's rockcress
     Habitat/Range:  Moist  to  mesic meadows in the alpine zone
          (AT); rare in SW and SE BC east of  the  Coast-Cascade
          Mountains, known only from the Taseko Lake and Pollock
          areas; N to SW YT, E to SW AB and S to CO.
     Global/Provincial Rank: G5T? S1?
     Notes:  We  prefer  to  treat this taxon as a member of the
          variable A. lemmonii complex  rather  than  as  a  new
          species  (A. drepanoloba) as Mulligan (1995) has done.
          This variety may be separated from var. depauperata by
          its wider siliques and symmetrical to slightly  secund
          inflorescence Mulligan (1995).
     Voucher specimen(s): Tchaikazan R., Beamish 690097 - UBC.

Arabis lignifera A. Nels.
     Woody-branched rockcress
     Habitat/Range:  Mesic  to  dry forests, grassy slopes, rock
          outcrops and talus slopes in the  steppe  and  montane
          zones  (BG,  BWBS,  ESSF,  IDF,  MS,  PP,  SBS);  rare
          throughout all but NE BC, east  of  the  Coast-Cascade
          Mountains; S to CO and NV.
     Global/Provincial Rank: G5 S2S3
     Notes:  This  taxon,  not  previously  reported for BC, was
          recently identified among BC Arabis material  by  Mul-
          ligan  (1995).  Specimens  of A. lignifera may be dif-
          ficult to separate from A.  sparsiflora.  Arabis  lig-
          nifera,  however  has  3- and 4-rayed trichomes rather
          than 2- and 3-forked trichomes on the undersurfaces of
          the basal leaves.
     Voucher specimen(s):  Low  Fog  Creek,  McKeown  KM92223  -
          Herbarium Smithers; Apex Mtn., Eastham s.n. - UBC.

Arabis murrayi G. Mulligan
     Murray's rockcress
     Habitat/Range: Mesic to dry rock outcrops, talus slopes and
          gravel  ridges  in the subalpine and alpine zones (AT,
          ESSF); rare in S BC; E to SW AB and S to WA.
     Global/Provincial Rank: G3 S2S3
     Notes:  This  taxon  was  recently  described  by  Mulligan
          (1995).  Almost  all  of  the  A.  murrayi material in
          various herbaria has previously been identified as  A.
          lyallii  (Mulligan  1995). Arabis murrayi differs from
          A. lyallii in that the cauline leaves  are cuneate  to
          rarely   weakly   auriculate   rather   than  strongly
          sagittate-clasping.
     Voucher specimen(s): Blackwall Peak, Calder 10521B  -  DAO;
          Finlayson Peak, Pinder-Moss 1157 - UBC.

Arnica longifolia Dougl. ex Hook.
     Seep-spring arnica
     Habitat/Range:  Moist  to;  wet seepage sites in the alpine
          zone (AT); rare in SC BC, known only from Snowy  Moun-
          tain; E to AB and S to CO and CA.
     Global/Provincial Rank: G5 S1?
     Notes:  Although  this  species  was known from a number of
          collections along the BC  border  in  AB,  WA  and  MT
          (Douglas  1982)  it was not collected in BC until 1994
          by Malcolm Martin.
     Voucher specimen(s): Snowy Mtn., Martin 94-864 - V.

Carex torreyi Tuckerm.
     Torrey's sedge
     Habitat/Range: Moist meadows in the  montane  zone  (BWBS);
          rare  in NE BC, known only from the Dawson Creek area;
          E to MB and S to MN, SD, and CO.
     Global/Provincial Rank: G4 S1?
     Notes: This species was  not  treated  by  Douglas  et  al.
          (1994) but a 1963 specimen collected by Jim Calder has
          recently  been  examined  at  DAO.  Carex  torreyi has
          pubescent leaves, a glabrous perigynia  which  appears
          felty and is conspicuously 15-25-nerved.
     Voucher specimen(s): Dawson Creek, Calder - DAO.

Glyceria pulchella (Nash) K. Schum.
     Slender mannagrass
     Habitat/Range:  Streamsides,  marshes, lakeshores and ponds
          in the montane zone (BG, BWBS, IDF, SBS); rare  in  BC
          east  of the Coast-Cascades Mountains; N to AK, YT and
          MT.
     Global/Provincial Rank: G5 S2S3
     Notes: This species was  not  treated  by  Douglas  et  al.
          (1994)  but specimens have recently been discovered in
          several herbaria. It may be separated from G. grandis,
          which it  resembles,  by  its  broad,  scarious  lemma
          margins  and  it  mostly  obtuse  (rather  than acute)
          glumes.
     Voucher specimen(s): Little Prairie Lakes, Clement 76-103 -
          V; Fort Nelson, Anas s.n. - UBC.

Hedeoma hispida Pursh
     Rough pennyroyal
     Habitat/Range: Dry sites in the montane zone (IDF); rare in
          SE BC, known only from  Kikoman  Creek  and  Horseshoe
          Lake; E to PQ and S to MT, CO, NY, MS and TX.
     Global/Provincial Rank: G5 S1
     Notes:  This  species  was  first  recorded for BC by Frank
          Lomer in 1994. In  the  generic  key  for  the  family
          Lamiaceae  provided  by  Douglas et al. (1990) Hedeoma
          keys out to Salvia. It may be distinguished  from  the
          latter by its axillary, rather than terminal flowers.
     Voucher specimen(s): Kikoman Creek, Lomer s.n. - UBC.

Lythrum hyssopifolia L.
     Hyssop loosestrife
     Habitat/Range: Moist sites in the steppe zone (BG); rare in
          SC  BC,  known  only from Mud Lake (Oliver area); S to
          CA.
     Global/Provincial Rank: G5 S1
     Notes: This species, not treated by Douglas et al.  (1990),
          was  first collected in the province by Malcolm Martin
          in 1994. This annual species,  with  mostly  alternate
          leaves,  is  shorter  (10-40  cm) than the usually op-
          posite leaved species, L. alatum and L. salicaria.
     Voucher specimen(s): 1.5 km S of Gallagher Lake, Martin 94-
          863 - V.

Senecio cymbalaria Pursh (S. resedifolius Less.)
     Northern butterweed
     Habitat/Range: Moist meadows in  the  lowland  zone  (CWH);
          rare  on  the Queen Charlotte Islands, known only from
          Port Chanal; amphiberigian, N to AK and YT; E. Asia.
     Global/Provincial Rank: G5 S1?
     Notes: This species, new to British Columbia, was collected
          in 1979 but only recently identified by Bruce Bennett.
          The taxonomy of this species and several  other  close
          relatives  is  discussed  by Packer (1972) and Douglas
          (1982 p. 92 and 170). In the  Vascular  Plants  of  BC
          (Douglas  et al. 1989) Senecio cymbalaria will key out
          to it's more southern  relative,  S.  conterminus.  It
          differs  from the latter mainly in its generally some-
          what smaller stature and its intense purple  pigmenta-
          tion (Packer 1972).
     Voucher specimen(s): Mt. Hobbs, Roemer 79154 - V.

Silene spaldingii S. Wats.
     Spaldings campion or silene
     Habitat/Range:  Dry sites in the montane zone (PP); rare in
          SE BC, known only from Roosville; S to W ID, W MT;  NE
          WA and NE OR.
     Global/Provincial Rank: G2 S1
     Notes:  This  stout,  pubescent plant is 20-60 cm tall with
          white, bilobed petals.
     Voucher specimen(s): This species was recently observed  in
          BC  by the Montana Natural Heritage program. A voucher
          species has yet to be collected by CDC.

Literature Cited

Douglas, G.W. 1982. The sunflower family (Asteraceae) of British
     Columbia. Vol. I. Senecioneae. BC Prov.  Mus.  Occas.  Pap.
     Ser. No. 23, Victoria. 180 p.
Douglas, G.W., G.B. Straley and D. Meidinger. 1989. The vascular
     plants  of  British  Columbia.  Part  1  -  Gymnosperms and
     Dicotyledons  (Aceraceae  through  Cucurbitaceae).  Special
     Report Series 1, B.C. Ministry of Forests, Research Branch,
     Victoria. 208 p.
Douglas, G.W., G.B. Straley and D. Meidinger. 1990. The vascular
     plants  of British Columbia. Part 2 - Dicotyledons (Diapen-
     siaceae through Portulacaceae). Special  Report  Series  2,
     B.C. Ministry of Forests, Research Branch, Victoria. 158 p.
Douglas, G.W., G.B. Straley and D. Meidinger. 1994. The vascular
     plants  of  British Columbia. Part 4 - Monocotyledons. Spe-
     cial Report Series 2, B.C. Ministry  of  Forests,  Research
     Branch, Victoria. 257 p.
Hitchcock,  C.L.,  A.  Cronquist,  M.  Ownbey and J.W. Thompson.
     1964. Vascular plants of the  Pacific  Northwest.  Part  2:
     Salicaceae  to  Saxifragaceae.  Univ. Wash. Press, Seattle.
     597 p.
Mulligan, G.A. 1995. Synopsis of the genus Arabis (Brassicaceae)
     in Canada, Alaska and Greenland. Rhodora (in press).
Packer, J.G. 1972. A taxonomic and phytogeographical  review  of
     some  arctic  and  alpine  Senecio  species.  Can.  J. Bot.
     50:507-518.