Subject: Dutch Elm Disease Treatment

From: [email-masked] (Robert Charles)
Date: 4 Jun 1996 10:31:14 -0400

Does anyone know of a treatment for Dutch Elm Disease.

I have six 5 yr old trees in my yard and would like to save them.

What is the nature of the disease and it's carrier?

Thanks for your help.

---

From: [email-masked] (Frits v/d Laan)
Date: 7 Jun 1996 18:43:52 GMT

>What is the nature of the disease and it's carrier?

It's a fungus that damages the tree and by trying to undo the damage
the tree kills itself by distorting the waterflow upwards so the leaves
will dry out.
The fungus is spread by small beetles wich live under the bark of the tree.

As far as I know there is no real cure. Here in Holland sick trees are felled
by the thousands.

Frits v/d Laan
Biologische boomkwekerij
Gouda
http://web.inter.nl.net/users/F.vd.Laan/

---

From: [email-masked](Michael L Roginsky )
Date: 8 Jun 1996 22:05:47 GMT

>What is the nature of the disease and it's carrier?

Dutch elm and the "winged elm" are being destroyed by a viral desease,
commonly called "a blight". I have one surviving elm in my property,
all other have died. The one alive is surrounded closely by pines and 
dogwoods. These act as a protective cover. Same thing happened to the
American Chestnut circa 1920-1930.

Micro, alive and not a microbe!

---

From: [email-masked] (BRateaver)
Date: 9 Jun 1996 07:33:11 -0400

I checked my Organic Method Primer UDATE, pg 404, in chapter on diseases.,
in the section starting pg 382 entitled: Individual Fungal diseases.

Dutch elm disease is a fungal disease, Ceratocystis ulmi (formerly
Verticillium) on elm.
  A man in Connecticut found a way to save these trees; they recovered
completely. He learned by experience that the succumbed "wherever the soil
was low in calcium, magnesijm and moisture". 

Do you want his method, or are you going to accept someone else's opinion?

Bargyla Rateaver, Ph.D., 9049 Covina St., San Diego, CA 92126

B. Rateaver

---

From: Dirk Mermans <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jun 1996 19:31:48 GMT

Your right about the C. ulmi

In school they told me that pressure-injection of a systemic
fungicide would help.

I believe it was Benlate (as benomyl)

The beatles carries the disease as a vector.

>was low in calcium, magnesijm and moisture". 

The fungus clogs up the xyleem, which provides juice to
the leeves. The definenties (spelling) you mentioned
help to kill the tree faster. 

Dirk Mermans, ing

---

From: Larry Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 09:04:44 -0700

To all:

Prof. Gary Strobel (Plant Pathology, Montana State Univ., Bozeman, MT
59717) worked out a method to p[rotect against Dutch Elm disease using a
bioengineered endophytic bacteria Pseudomonas spp. It worked but he ran
into regulatory troubles.  Treated trees have lasted as long as ten years
without infection.  The work done in Holland with non transformed strains
of Pseudomanas had some success, but is not considered to be as effective. 

Regulations have changed a lot since then and now are more accepting of 
bioengineered strains of bacteria.  It is about time that this method was 
released for general use.

Larry Daley

---

From: [email-masked] (Marco_Bleeker)
Date: 14 Jun 1996 22:55:44 GMT

Question:
What does the "Dutch" in Dutch Elm Disease stand for ?  Is the disease
(first discovered) in Holland, or is it a disease of the Dutch Elm
(Ulmus x hollandica) ? And anyway, does it effect only this species
(well hybrid) of Elm, or are other Elms also vulnerable ? In Amsterdam
we have (at least) 2 varieties/hybrids of Elms planted as roadside
trees. This is Elm City :-)

Thanks, Marco

<[email-masked]>------------------<Marco Bleeker, Amsterdam, NL>
<CHEZ MARCO'S BOTANY PAGES>---<http://www.euronet.nl/users/mbleeker/>
<Plants Programs Pictures>------------------------------<nl-en-de-fr>
-- 
  YES!!! It has arrived: CIVILIZATION II. The CD-ROM sequel to the
  best strategic computergame ever! You'll be sorry if you miss it!
<------------------------------------------------------------------->