Subject: Re: Slugs

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Aug 1995 12:08:01 GMT

I can't believe I forgot that. My uncle used it extensively. Thanks so 
much. I responded with the "beer" solution to this post last week and 
totally ignored this excellent suggestion.

---

From: [email-masked] (Phil Whitehead)
Date: 3 Nov 1995 12:14:45 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Richard Thomas
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> 1.  I have an investation of slugs in my vegetable garden. What is the 
> best non-chemical means of dealing with this infestation?

NUKE EM!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Phil Whitehead)
Date: 3 Nov 1995 12:14:45 GMT

NUKE EM!!

---

From: [email-masked] (gsims)
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 1995 13:48:54 -0500

> > best non-chemical means of dealing with this infestation?

There should be a product at a local garden store for slugs--the one I'm
thinking of is some sort of fine shredded glass, or other sharp material. 
When the slugs slither over it, they get killed.  Slugs are terrible, they
have little teeth on thier toungues and lick the leaves of plants,
essentially shredding them.
Goodluck, GS

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L Roginsky )
Date: 4 Nov 1995 21:56:17 GMT

In <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] (gsims) writes: 
>>>Slugs are naturally occurring in nature's fine balance of control
>>>such as the predators that keep pests off. Their cousins in the
>>>tropics can be leaches. Did you know that the leach is a full up
>>>ambulatory hospital. For the price of some blood they provide
>>>anesthetics and antibiotics as well. They are still being used to
>>>debris wounds, and do that job well. I don't like either myself. A
>>>natural bait is beer on a can lid. They drink themselves away! Ever
>>>heard of "Jose Cuervo you are a friend of mine?". That's country
>>>gold! Cheers...................Micro.

---

From: Thierry MINGUET <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Nov 1995 10:43:27 GMT

I had that kind of problem too.
To produce seedlings, place your nursery on a table that you can do easy 
yourself with sticks, and place poison or abrasive material at the 
bottom of the table's feet.
In the garden itself, you may burry cutted cans or bottles in a way that 
the slugs can "walk" in it. In those "pots", pour any centimeters of 
BEER (even old or garbage beer). Slugs like beer so much that they "run" 
into the pots and drown themself. You have to empty the pots of drowned 
slugs an pour new beer.
A good way of working is to combine ways sending to pots with the 
"abrasive system" an other answer explained to you.
Good luck and greetings from Belgium.
Thierry MINGUET