Subject: Growing Trees - Black Walnut/Buckeye

From: [email-masked] (Stacey)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 09:57:53

Hi!

Does anybody know if you can start a Black Walnut tree and a Buckeye tree from 
the nut (or seed)?   If so how is this done?  Or is there another way to do 
it? 

Thanks in advance!!
Stacey

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Keith Lura)
Date: 6 Oct 1995 22:20:47 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Stacey)
>the nut (or seed)?   If so how is this done?  Or is there another way
to do 

    Both black walnuts and buckeyes are easy to grow from seed.  First,
the seed must be ripe (but fresh) and not eaten by insects.  Next, the
seed must be planted in the ground in the fall and go through the
winter there-- the alternate freezing and thawing of fall and spring
are the factors which break down germination-inhibiting chemicals
within the seed.  The trees will sprout when the weather warms the next
year.  As for any other ways, it is possible to simulate the conditions
by moving the potted seeds from freezer to refrigerator during the
course of a three-month period;  that way the plants can be allowed to
grow protected in indoor conditions when they sprout.  Or, they could
be sown in pots and allowed to winter over out-of-doors, then brought
in to grow.  But they will always need to be stratified-- that is the
cold treatment's name.  I hope it works out for you.

                                    Stefan Lura