Subject: RE: Brown stuff secreted by plants

From: logan <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Mar 1996 16:41:50 -0000

I must side with Peter Harris. Plants certainly do secrete compounds into 
the rhizosphere and they don't just do this via cell loss. At least this is 
my understanding. However, having said that I guess it may not have been 
proven that many of the compounds "secreted" have not come from the contents 
of degraded cells. I don't see why this is not a form of secretion though. 
Exocytosis by a whole cell rather than a secretory vesicle. In practice the 
compounds are called root-exudates such as those stimulating germination of 
root parasites such as Striga spp.

David C. Logan																

*********************************
*	[email-masked]			*
*																															*
*	Department of Plant Sciences		*
*	University of Oxford										*
*	South Parks Road 													*
*	Oxford																								*
*	OX1 3RB																							*
*																															*
*	Tel.(direct): (01865) 275024		*
*																															*
*********************************