Subject: Very little light!

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Lemons)
Date: 8 Jun 1995 00:17:41 GMT

I keep my plants on the patio of my apartment, but this place gets very 
little light on it. My question is does this small amount of leght mean 
that I should water my plants less than I would if they had light all 
day. I'm new to this plants thing so any help would be great.

Chris Lemons

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Jun 1995 22:03:06 GMT

Grow plants that like the shade -- ferns, hostas, certain orchids 
(phalenopsis, paphepdelium), antheriums, hoyas (a great tropical vine), 
camelias in pots, certain palms. Water according to the plant. Generally 
shade-loving plants also like their medium on the moist side. Good 
growing!

---

From: [email-masked] (Adrian, Glenn Murray)
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 1995 05:31:44 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Christopher Lemons) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Christopher Lemons)
>Subject: Very little light!
>Date: 8 Jun 1995 00:17:41 GMT

>Chris Lemons

Well of course it depends on the plants, soil-less media and other factors,
but evapourtranspiration increases with temperature, not light.
the humdity of enclosed areas causes less evapourtanspiration.  That is why 
cuttings are grown under mist units.  It stops them lossing water when the 
havn't got roots, and waters them as well.  Excess water is used so 
evapouration can cool the air, scince little transpiration is occuring.  
Many plants will transpire about 90% of water uptake immediately.  Hotter 
temperatures require more evapoutranspiration to cool the plants. 
Wind will also increase evapoutranspiration.

Glenn
[email-masked]