Subject: Q: What is the rate of growth of these palms?

From: Vassilis Christophilos <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Aug 1995 12:03:59 GMT

Hi,

Can anyone tell the rate of growth (ft/year) of these 
palm tree species:

Washingtonia robusta
Washingtonia filifera
Phoenix canariensis
Trachycarpus fortunei

Thanks.

vassilis
[email-masked]

---

From: Huw Collingbourne <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Aug 1995 21:57:38 GMT

>[email-masked]
Here in the UK, Washingtonia grow from seed to about 1.5 or
2 feet in height in less than a year, with their first fan leaves
appearing in a year. Growth thereafter is pretty fast too.

Phoenix canerienis - seed to around 1 foot (seed leaves) in about
6 to 8 months. A good crown of true leaves in about 3 years though
they are slow to put on any height.

Trachycarpus - first fan leaves can appear in 12 to 18 months.
Slow growth though for the first couple of years but they may
grow faster once established.

Huw

[email-masked]