Subject: Re: *HELP* MEDICAL PLANTS NEEDED!!!

From: David Hemming <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 May 1995 12:22:47 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Hao Chau) says:
>
>Hello! Does anyone know were I can retrieve information on
>plants and how they help in the medical industry?

It might be helpful for you to know what CAB International (a not-for-profit 
intergovernmental organization) provides in this area.

CAB ABSTRACTS is widely recognised as the bibliographic database which
provides the most extensive coverage of literature on herbs, spices and 
condiments,
essential oil plants, medicinal plants, poisonous plants, and plants showing 

insecticidal, fungicidal, antibacterial, antiviral and other biocidal 
activities.  The
following aspects are covered:

(a) General:  reviews and notes; ethnobotany and ethnopharmacology; 
conservation
and genetic resources; economics, production and marketing; legislation.
(b) Botany:  taxonomy; ecology; responses to environmental factors; plant
development, morphology and anatomy; physiology and biochemistry.
(c) Horticulture:  cultivars, breeding and genetics; propagation and 
planting; soils,
fertilizers and nutrition, crop management, crop protection, harvesting and 
postharvest
technology.
(d) Chemistry, biotechnology and pharmaceutics:  analysis and extraction; 
essential
oil, flavour and fragrance chemistry (including flavour and aroma attributes 
of crop
produce, preparation of concretes and absolutes); plant composition.
(e) In vitro metabolite production and biotransformation.
(f) product formulation, composition and quality (including herbal drugs, 
botanical
pesticides, cosmetics, and spices and condiments).
(g) Biological activity:  (i) applications in human and veterinary medicine; 

pharmacology and toxicology; poisonous plants, poisoning and plant toxins; 
(ii)
applications in crop protection; and (iii) activity against plant and animal 
pathogens,
pests and disease vectors (including arthropods, bacteria, fungi, molluscs, 
plant
nematodes and animal helminths, protozoa, vertebrates and viruses).

All information contained in the database which concerns the abovementioned 
groups
of plants and subject areas can be found in a recently launched abstract 
journal
entitled Review of Aromatic and Medicinal Plants.  This publication will be 
of
interest to people working in the following disciplines: botany and 
horticulture,
biotechnology, phytochemistry, perfumery and cosmetics, human and 
veterninary
pharmacology, and practitioners of herbal medicine.  The publication 
frequency is
bimonthly.  The journal is also available in electronic form on diskette.

For more information, contact CAB INTERNATIONAL, Wallingford, Oxon OX10
8DE, UK (E-mail: [email-masked]) or CAB INTERNATIONAL, 845 North Park
Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA (E-mail: [email-masked]).