Subject: plant-defenses

From: [email-masked]
Date: 10 Mar 1995 10:27:39 -0800

There are many documented cases of plants actively "defending" themselves.
Perhaps the most dramatic case is the Mimosa pudica (sensitive plant).
This plant folds their leaflets in response to touch, fire or wounding.
This takes a couple of seconds and it is really amazing to watch it happening.
This is a defense against predation, fire, wind, heavy rain, etc.h

There are many other examples when plants start producing metabolites
(generally poisonous) after they are attacked by fungi, insects, or herbivores.
Please contact me if you'd like some references.
Efraim Lewinsohn

---

From: [email-masked] (adstone)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 95 17:12:12 PST

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] says...
>(generally poisonous) after they are attacked by fungi, insects, or 
herbivores.

  Thank you very much.  This information has been invaluable to me.

Adrian Stone
[email-masked]