Subject: BEN # 103

From: [email-masked] (Adolf Ceska)
Date: 6 Jun 1995 23:38:24 -0700

BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             ISSN 1188-603X
BB   B   EE       NNN  N
BBBBB    EEEEE    NN N N             BOTANICAL
BB   B   EE       NN  NN             ELECTRONIC
BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             NEWS

No. 103                              June 6, 1995

[email-masked]        Victoria, B.C.
-----------------------------------------------------------
 Dr. A. Ceska, P.O.Box 8546, Victoria, B.C. Canada V8W 3S2
-----------------------------------------------------------

TOKYO CODE OF BOTANICAL NOMENCLATURE - IN IS OUT

The  latest  version  of  the  International  Code  of Botanical
Nomenclature (the so-called Tokyo Code) has brought  in  several
important  changes, most of them too technical to be of interest
to BEN readers. The overall stress is on the stability of names.
The code makes it easier to reject "any name  that  would  cause
disadvantageous  nomenclatural change." Long-forgotten names can
be proposed for rejection  to avoid changes  in well-established
names.

There  is  a small, but significant change in how we should cite
authors of names. In the  citation  of  authors  there  are  two
prepositions that are used to indicate the authorship of a name:
"ex"  and  "in." If Author1 supplied a name and Author2 provided
and published the description, the citation of the authors  will
be  "Author1  ex  Author2,"  or  just "Author2." A very familiar
example of the use of "ex"  is:  Castilleja  miniata  Dougl.  ex
Hook.  [David  Douglas proposed the name, but it was W.J. Hooker
who wrote  the  description  and  published  it  in  his  "Flora
Boreali-Americana"].    Another  way  how  to  cite this name is
Castilleja miniata Hook.

If, on the other hand, Author1 provided both the  name  and  the
DESCRIPTION,  but  published  them in another author's work, the
preposition "in"  would  be  used  to  show  this  ("Author1  in
Author2").  The  Tokyo Code has ruled that in this case the "in"
and "Author2" should be considered a part of  the  bibliographic
citation and "are better omitted unless the place of publication
is  being  cited."  If you check "A synonymized checklist of the
vascular flora of the United States, etc." by Kartesz (1994) you
won't find there any "in Author2" forms any  more.  For  example
Carex  amplifolia  Boott  in Hook. should be cited only as Carex
amplifolia Boott.

One entirely new concept is incorporated in the new  edition  of
the  Code,  that  of  interpretive types to serve when an estab-
lished type cannot be reliably identified  for  the  purpose  of
precise  application  of a name. For this type the Nomenclatural
Committee has adopted the term "epitype", expressing the meaning
"on top of the type." According the Art. 9.7 "An  epitype  is  a
specimen  or illustration selected to serve as an interpretative
type when the holotype, lectotype, [etc.]  is  demonstrably  am-
biguous  and cannot be critically identified for purposes of the
precise application of the name of a taxon."

ADOXA MOSCHATELLINA NORTH OF SMITHERS, BRITISH COLUMBIA
From: Jim Pojar <[email-masked]>

Have you ever seen a lot (very much indeed) of Adoxa  moschatel-
lina? No, neither had I, until May 21, when we went exploring to
Netalzul  Meadow,  70 km N of Smithers. It's an unusual (for our
region) complex of willow shrub-carr and moist meadow, and Adoxa
was rampant in places in the  meadow,  which  later  will  be  a
Heracleum-Urtica-Epilobium-Elymus   glaucus   type.  I  couldn't
detect the musky smell the plant is supposed to have, but  maybe
because  it  was  mid-day. Good thing too, because so many musk-
emitting plants no doubt would have sedated us, like Dorothy  in
the  poppy  field. Upstream lives Viola selkirkii, which I don't
think I've seen before (in. B.C.).  I've  been  to  this  meadow
twice  before and didn't see Adoxa, but the times were in August
when the meadow vegetation is chest-high. This Spring  has  been
unusually  dry  and  warm,  hence the early season botanizing. I
wonder what else I've been missing all these years,  while  gar-
dening over the long Victoria Day weekend?

KOELTZ SCIENTIFIC BOOKS USA - NEW WEB PAGE
From: [email-masked] (Koeltz Scientific Books)

We  now have a commercial web site listing 25000 titles, includ-
ing bibliographic details. It can be found at the following URL:
http://www.shout.net//

AAAS SYMPOSIUM IN VANCOUVER, B.C. - JUNE 21, 1995
From: Bob Vance, Geological Survey of Canada, Calgary
         <[email-masked]>

The 76th Annual Meeting of the Pacific Division of the  American
Association  for  the Advancement of Science will be held at the
University of British Columbia,  from  June  18-22.  The  varied
program  includes  a symposium organized by Ian Walker (Okanagan
University College) and myself that has not been  widely  adver-
tised.  As it may be of interest to list members residing in the
Pacific Northwest, or those of you who may be  in  Vancouver  in
the  next  few  weeks,  I thought it worthwhile to circulate the
program.

This symposium, titled "Palaeoecolgy  and  Palaeoclimatology  of
the  Pacific  Northwest"  will take place on Wednesday, June 21.
The session is focused on comparing  climate  model  output  and
proxy  climate  data  in northwestern North America for the 6000
and 18000 yr BP time slices.

8:30-8:40 Opening remarks

8:40-9:00 The role  of  paleoenvironmental  data  in  evaluating
      paleoclimatic  model  simulations of 18K and 6K. Robert S.
      Webb, NOAA Paleoclimatology Program.

9:00-9:20 Principal characteristics of the  present  climate  of
      northwestern  North America. Oswaldo Garcia, San Francisco
      State University.

9:20-9:40 Sensitivity studies of climatic factors for 6,000  and
      18,000 BP. Robert J. Oglesby, Purdue University.

9:40-10:10  High resolution paleoclimate simulations for western
      North America. Steve Hostetler, United  States  Geological
      Survey.

10:30-10:50 The ocean's role in past and future climates. Andrew
      Weaver, University of Victoria.

10:50-11:10  The  northeast  Pacific at 6,000 and 18,000 B.P. as
      seen  by  marine  diatoms.  Constance  Sancetta,  National
      Science Foundation.

11:10-11:30  Late  Quaternary  geochemical  and  stable  isotope
      records from the Gulf of Alaska. D.W.  McDonald  and  T.F.
      Pedersen, University of British Columbia.

1:00-1:20  Paleovegetation  in  the  Yukon/Alaska/East  Beringia
      region at 18ka and 6ka. Ray Spear, State University of New
      York.

1:20-1:40 British  Columbia  vegetation  and  climate  6000  BP.
      Richard Hebda, Royal British Columbia Museum.

1:40-2:00  A comparison of paleobotanical proxy data and climate
      model results in 18 ka in coastal British  Columbia.  Rolf
      W. Mathewes, Simon Fraser University.

2:00-2:20  The  paleoecological record of 6 and 18 ka BP climate
      on the eastern slopes and  plains  of  northwestern  North
      America. Robert E. Vance, Geological Survey of Canada.

2:20-2:40  Glacial  maximum and middle Holocene climate contrast
      between the northern intermountain  and  coastal  west  as
      reflected  in vegetation history. Peter E. Wigand, Quater-
      nary Sciences Center,  University  and  Community  College
      System of Nevada.

3:00-3:20  Diatoms  and  climate change during the Late-Glacial/
      Early Holocene, and the  6000  year  time  slice.  Michael
      Hickman, University of Alberta.

3:20-3:40  Insect  evidence  for  paleoenvironments in Alaska at
      6000 and 18,000 yr  BP.  Scott  A.  Elias,  University  of
      Colorado.

3:40-4:00 Chironomid paleoecology and mid-Holocene paleoclimatic
      inferences  for  British Columbia. Ian R. Walker, Okanagan
      University College.

4:00-4:30 Discussion

Hope to see some of you at UBC!