Subject: Are Alocasias Toxic to Cats?

From: [email-masked] (Phillip Geiger)
Date: 8 May 1995 03:18:05 GMT

Does anyone know if Alocasia plants are toxic to cats?  None of the books 
I could find include them.  Right now the plant is locked in a room the 
cat's not allowed in, but I'd prefer to put it somewhere where it can 
get some sun...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out here.

Phil
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (John )
Date: Tue, 09 May 1995 21:41:33 GMT

[email-masked] (Phillip Geiger) wrote:

:Does anyone know if Alocasia plants are toxic to cats?  None of the books 
:I could find include them.  Right now the plant is locked in a room the 
:cat's not allowed in, but I'd prefer to put it somewhere where it can 
:get some sun...

:Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out here.

:Phil
:[email-masked]

YES!
All araceae are!

[email-masked]    | http://www.webcom.com/~sabercat/ 
[email-masked]  | ftp.gate.net pub/users/sabercat

---

From: Gloria Garner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 21:46:18 GMT

> [email-masked]  | ftp.gate.net pub/users/sabercat 
All Arums have crystals in them which make them toxic to animals as well as
people.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Alpha)
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 15:40:39 +0000

> All Arums have crystals in them which make them toxic to animals as well as

Correction the crystals are not toxic per say, they are just needle-like
and thus cause all kinds of discomfort.  If it was toxic why would Taro
(Kalo etc...Colocasia esculenta) be the old staple of Polynesian diets,
cooked of course which disrupts the crystals.

Chris