Subject: How to get Giant Sequoias to Germany?

From: [email-masked] (Helge Kosuch)
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 14:20:28 -0400

I would love to plant some Giant Sequoias on our meadows. I think
they should grow in Germanys climate.
But how can I get some to Germany? Our biggest tree selling company
doesn't have them.

Any ideas?

THANX.

Cheeeazz, 
Have fun,
Helge.

:) At least my cows are sane :)

PS: Follow-Ups on my newspostings ALSO VIA EMAIL, please.

---

From: [email-masked] (ProfFax)
Date: 18 May 1996 10:55:59 -0400

doesn't have them.<<

It's commendable that you will go to the trouble to start the tree for the
benefit of future generations. If the tree survives you, it might be
nearly your height at the time of your demise.

The sequoia is a popular garden tree in England. Perhaps you can find a
good source for trees there.

I have seen several places which sold coastal redwoods (Sequoia semper
virens) commericially, but not giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum). I
believe that the coastal trees are more easily grown and grow at a faster
rate. Nevertheless, here are several nurseries that have been recommended
to me. I have never had occassion to use any of them, so I can't
personally recommend one. I'm sorry I don't have the complete address,
you'll have to call. 
   CA Dept. of Forestry, Davis, CA      (916) 753-2441
   Forest Seeds of CA, Placerville, CA (916) 621-1552
   Future Forest Nursery, Riverside, CA (724) 780-8946

I have record of Giant Sequoia that have been transplanted and
successfully grown in Europe and Germany had several notable trees.
Perhaps they were grown in climate and soil similar to your own.

Good luck!
Jeff Lahr
Seasonal Ranger, Yosemtie National Park

---

From: [email-masked] ("K N and P J Harris")
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 20:06:33 GMT

> ==========
> bionet/plants #1373, from [email-masked], 1005 
chars, Tue  14 May 1996 14:20:28 -0
> ----------
> Article: 9894 of bionet.plants
> Xref: cix.compulink.co.uk sci.bio.botany:1836 bionet.plants:9894
> Path: 
cix.compulink.co.uk!news.compulink.co.uk!btnet!tank.news.pipex.net!pipex
!blackbush.xlink.net!rz.uni-karlsruhe.de!news.uni-stuttgart.de!news.rhrz
.uni-bonn.de!news.rwth-aachen.de!newsserver.rrzn.un
> i-hannover.de!news
> From: [email-masked] (Helge Kosuch)
> Newsgroups: sci.bio.botany,bionet.plants
> Subject: How to get Giant Sequoias to Germany?
> Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 14:20:28 -0400
> Organization: RRZN - Newsserver
> Lines: 17
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> NNTP-Posting-Host: mod34.stud.uni-hannover.de
> X-Mailer: uka_ppp 1.5
> 
Hi Helge,
Can't supply trees but a firm here in UK does the seed.
Try contacting :-
Chiltern Seeds,
Bortree Stile,
Ulverston,
Cumbria LA12 7PB

They can supply seed of Sequoia gigantea (Wellingtonia) and Sequoia 
sempervirens. The latter described as "easy from seed" and reaches 1M in 
first year.
Their e-mail address is [email-masked]
I have no commercial connection but they have been providing me with all 
sorts of odd seed for years. Their catalogue is a really good read (no 
pictures, you make them in your mind).
I hope all is well at Herrenhauser str. I was lucky enough to spend 4 
weeks in Hanover a few years back working at the Buntehof. My contact 
was Dr G Trolldenier who is now connected with the Soils dept at 
Herrenhauser. It would be very useful (if you come across him) to 
introduce him to the e-mail system so that I can communicate.
My work e-mail is [email-masked]

Bye

Peter Harris,
Department of Soil Science,
The University of Reading, UK.

PS Our cows aren't mad, they're furious !!!

---

From: Larry Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 09:48:02 -0700

Profax:

Here in Corvallis, Oregon it is possible to buy locally all three
sequoias: coastal, sierra and dawn.  These fast growing trees are found
growing all over town.  There is even a local character who hates sierra
(Giant Sequoias) sequoias and wants them all cut down, however most people
here really care for these trees, so there is no way he is going to get
this done. The best local nursery stocks all three species including some 
of their most some interesting horticultural variants, the address is:

Sandy and Don Powell
Garland Nursery
5470 NE Highway 20 
Corvallis, OR 97330  USA
(541) 753-6601

I talked to Sandy Powell and she suggested that you call or write to: 
Drakes Crossing Nursery, 
19774 Grade Road South East, 
Silverton, OR 97381 USA 
(503) 873 4932, Fax (503) 873 6289

Drakes Crossing Nursery is a wholesale operation and is where Sandy 
and Don get some of their seedlings.

Sierra and dawn sequoias are more hardy than coastal sequoias.  If you 
are really serious, it is possible to select by microcalorimetry the 
hardiest coastal sequoias you can contact Professor Richard S. Criddle 
([email-masked]).  Professor Criddle will soon be giving a talk on 
this topic at the Redwood Conference.

best wishes

larry daley

On 18 May 1996, ProfFax

---

From: [email-masked] ("Roger Whitehead")
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 18:13:48 GMT

<< PS Our cows aren't mad, they're furious !!! >>

Given the choice between mad cows and sensible politicians, I know which 
I'd choose. Unfortunately we seem to have the worst of both worlds.  8-(

Roger

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Roger Whitehead,
14 Amy Road, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0PX, England
Tel: +44 (0)1883 713074; Fax: +44 (0)1883 716793
.

---

From: Larry Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 10:07:23 -0700

Pierre:

Thanks for phone number update and advice.

Larry

On Thu, 30 May 1996, Pierre A Plauzoles wrote:

> 
> In a previous article, [email-masked] (Larry Daley) says:
> 
> Sorry to butt in like this, but the area code for Riverside is 909; it was 
> 714 until a couple years ago.
> 
> Good luck.  I like your idea - as long as no bugs go along for the ride 
> with the trees.  They will have enough of a fight as it is with the 
> pollution, but they are pretty resistant, as I understand it.
> -- 
> Pierre Plauzoles   [email-masked]
> Canoga Park, California
> 
>