Subject: mRNA isolation

From: William Woei-Ping Chang <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Jul 1995 19:17:08 GMT

Does anyone have a quantitative protocol on mRNA isolation using 
very small amount (about 100mg) of plant  tissue?  Most commercial mRNA
kits require relatively large amount of starting material.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Casper)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 17:52:43 -0100

> would be greatly appreciated.  

Check out the paper "In situ isolation of mRNA from individual plant
cells: Creation of cell-specific cDNA libraries" by Erik Karrer, et al. 
in PNAS
Vol. 92, pp. 3814-3818, April 1995.  Although this describes a protocol
for single cell mRNA extraction, it can easily be scaled up to mg amounts
of plant tissue extract.  Besides, the method for using the oligo dT
linked magnetic beads is detailed and works quite well from what I gather.

Good Luck and happy grinding,

Steve