Subject: Voodoo lilly

From: [email-masked] (Mark L)
Date: 15 Jul 1995 18:42:41 GMT

Does anyone know anything about a fast growing plant called a voodoo 
lilly?  I've asked about it at the local nursery but they hadn't heard of 
them.

I also heard the tail end of a gardening show on the radio this morning 
and they were discussing kiwi vines.  Apparently these are the fruit 
bearing kind and grow well in central Texas.  Does anyone know how to 
grow these?  I suppose the would grow from the kiwi seeds?;)

I would appreciate any insight!

Thanks,
Eileen in Pflugerville, Texas.

---

From: "Jeffrey S. West" <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Jul 95 19:21:19 -0500

I am seeking information on the voodoo lily (Amorphophallus 
Gigantiflourus).  I have used all of the resources on the web (that I am 
aware of) with no luck.  Does anyone know where this unusual plant comes 
from?  Does anyone know of a web site that has info on this plant 
(preferably with an image)?

---

From: [email-masked] (Pyrola2579)
Date: 24 Jul 1995 00:37:08 -0400

The Voodoo Lily is from Africa and is slow growing. We have a large plant
in the Botany Greenhouse at the University of Washington. when It blooms
it makes the local papers,because it is so rare. The odor is like rotting
flesh to attach the blow-flies which pollinate it single flower.

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick Cox)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 18:52:56 GMT

>flesh to attach the blow-flies which pollinate it single flower.

My information says that these (_Sauromatum_gutatum_ & _S._horsfeldii_) are 
>from  Indonesia.

How old or what size do the bulbs/tubers have to be be before they will 
flower?

What is the structure a bulb, tuber, corm ....?

TTYL,              '''          Plant Science Computer Technician
Patrick Cox       (o  o)        Nova Scotia Agricultural College
---------------oOO--(_)--OOo------------------------------------------
~!