Subject: How to take softwoodcuttings of elms?

From: An Vanden Broeck <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jul 1995 20:00:36 GMT

I am interested in all kind of information about propagation of Elms by 
softwoodcuttings.Can somebody give me information about climat 
conditions, dimensions of the cuttings, succeeding percentage, ... Every 
kind of information about determination of Elms  (Ulmus minor, U. laevis 
and U. glabra) by different methods (morphological traits, isozymes, 
flavanoid glycosides, RAPD's, ...) is also very welcome! 

Thanks!
an
[email-masked]

---

From: ellieme <magicnet.net>
Date: 16 Jul 1995 00:41:45 GMT

One of your best sources of practical propagation information  is a 
book called, "The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation - From seed 
to tissue culture" by Michael A. Dirr and Charles W. Heuser Jr. published 
by Varsity Press, Inc., P. O. box 6301, Athens, Georgia 30604. There is  
substantial detailed information in the book (too much to include 
here) but in general they state that the majority of Elms can be 
vegetatively propagated and root cuttings are useful. Soft shoot  
cuttings can be rooted under intermittant mist but you must be careful to 
insure that the cuttings do not dry out.  You may also want to check your 
library for the Procedings of the International Society of Plant 
Propagators.  This will be particulary useful if you want even 
>[email-masked]
specific infomation. If you need more information E Mail me. 

[email-masked]  Roy Mecklenburg