Subject: BEN # 116

From: [email-masked] (Adolf Ceska)
Date: 19 Oct 1995 11:07:40 -0700

BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             ISSN 1188-603X
BB   B   EE       NNN  N
BBBBB    EEEEE    NN N N             BOTANICAL
BB   B   EE       NN  NN             ELECTRONIC
BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             NEWS

No. 116                              October 19, 1995

[email-masked]        Victoria, B.C.
-----------------------------------------------------------
 Dr. A. Ceska, P.O.Box 8546, Victoria, B.C. Canada V8W 3S2
-----------------------------------------------------------

PUFFBALLS FROM A LILLOOET ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE
From: "Brian D. Compton" <[email-masked]>

Compton,  Brian D. 1995. Puffballs from the past: identification
      of gasteromycetes from a Lillooet archaeological site  and
      speculation   regarding  their  aboriginal  use.  Canadian
      Journal of Archaeology 19:154-159.

Abstract: Puffballs representing three  species  in  two  genera
(Abstoma  reticulatum,  Bovista dakotensis and B. tomentosa) are
reported from an archaeological site  in  the  traditional  ter-
ritory of the Lillooet, one of the Indigenous Peoples of British
Columbia.  These fungi are presumed to represent human-collected
materials that arrived in British Columbia by way of  aboriginal
trade  from  the South or East. Their cultural roles likely were
mythological, medicinal, talismanic or shamanistic.

BOTANICAL RECONNAISSANCE OF TUXEDNI WILDERNESS AREA, ALASKA
From: "S. Talbot" <[email-masked]>

Talbot, S. S., S. L. Talbot, and S. L.  Welsh.  1995.  Botanical
      Reconnaissance   of   Tuxedni   Wilderness  Area,  Alaska.
      Biological Science Report 6. U.S. Department of the  Inte-
      rior, National Biological Service, Washington, D.C. 41 p.

Abstract:  The  vascular  flora  of  two small maritime islands,
Chisik and Duck Island (2,302 ha), comprising Tuxedni Wilderness
Area in western lower Cook Inlet, Alaska, was recorded to deter-
mine species composition where few previous collections had been
reported. The field study was conducted  in  sites  selected  to
represent the totality of environmental variation within Tuxedni
Wilderness  Area.  A  total  of 290 species -- 279 native and 11
introduced  --  was  identified.  To   provide   a   comparative
phytogeographic  framework,  we  analyzed  data  from  published
reports that categorized vascular  plant  distribution  patterns
>from   circumpolar, North American, and Alaskan perspectives. The
flora of Tuxedni Wilderness primarily includes species  of  cir-
cumpolar  (36.6%),  eastern  Asian  (22.9%)  and  North American
(20.4%) distributions. The most important longitudinal distribu-
tional classes within North America consist of  transcontinental
(59.9%) and extreme western species (32.2%). The distribution of
Tuxedni species in latitudinal zones peaks in the high subarctic
and  low  subarctic and gradually decreases from the low to high
arctic. The annotated list of species in the Tuxedni  Wilderness
Area  expands  the  known range for many species, filling a dis-
tributional gap within Hulten's Central Pacific Coast  district.
Forty-four  range  extensions  are  reported.  Latitudinal  zone
comparison based on the Raunkiaer  life-form  spectrum  suggests
the  flora of the Tuxedni Wilderness Area is closest to the high
subarctic zone. Key words: Coastal,  life  form,  middle  boreal
zone, phytogeographic, upper oroboreal zone, vascular flora.

The  publication is available free of charge and may be obtained
by writing: Stephen Talbot, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1011
East Tudor Road, Anchorage, Alaska 99503

FACULTY POSITION - FOREST RESOURCE SPECIALIST
From: David Silverberg <[email-masked]>
      via <[email-masked]>

In September 1995, The School for Field  Studies  opened  a  new
Centre  in  Barkley  and  Clayoquot  Sounds,  British  Columbia,
Canada. It is registered with the Private Post-Secondary  Educa-
tion  Commission  of  British  Columbia.  The  Centre focuses on
sustainable ecosystem management of  natural  resources  in  the
coastal  zone. The main campus of the school is in Bamfield with
extensive field work  and  teaching  in  Barkley  and  Clayoquot
Sounds.

The School for Field Studies is one of the largest private post-
secondary experiential educational institutions designed to give
students the opportunity to contribute to critical environmental
management  issues  in various ecosystems (BC, Australia, Kenya,
Costa Rica, South Cacos). The Centre is staffed with a director,
three full-time resident faculty  (Forest  Resource  Specialist,
Coastal Ecologist, Resource Economist), several adjunct off-site
faculty  (First  Nations Resource Sociologist, Salmon Biologist,
Forest Policy Expert), four graduate interns,  one  student  af-
fairs  manager,  one site manager, assistant site manager, and a
satellite logistics coordinator.  The  Centre  offers  fall  and
spring  semester  programs,  as  well  as  two  four-week summer
programs. Each program has 32 student participants. Courses  are
accredited  through Boston University and the student's Canadian
or US  home  institution.  Faculty  are  approved  as  lecturers
through Boston University. Faculty are required to live on-site.
Room and board are provided by SFS.

The  Forest Resource Specialist Faculty will address sustainable
ecosystem management.  Professional  interests  should  include:
forest   and   wildlife  management;  landscape-scale  ecosystem
management principles, forest and fisheries  planning,  alterna-
tive  forest  models  in the context of sustainable development,
social forestry, forest ecology,  resource  sociology,  Canadian
and British Columbian provincial land-use management.

The faculty position requires a dedicated educator who is facile
with   interdisciplinary   analysis  combining  management  with
methodological insights from the fields of  resource  management
and natural sciences. A familiarity with landscape-scale ecosys-
tem  management  principles  and the history of British Columbia
land use management are essential.

Faculty own a portfolio which includes the  supervision  of  one
case  study,  their  participation  in  two  other  related case
studies and the supervision of 10 community identified  directed
research  projects  each  semester.  Lectures,  workshops, labs,
field trips are utilized  within  discussion-oriented  decision-
based   case   studies.  In  addition  faculty  offer  community
workshops and lectures based on needs assessments.

Requirements: Ph.D. or Masters Degree with at least  four  years
of  practitioner/applied  experience.  Relevant  work/living  in
British Columbia or similar temperate coastal  zone  ecosystems.
At  least  2 years teaching at the undergraduate level with full
course responsibility, a demonstrated commitment and passion  to
innovative  teaching  programs,  experience working with applied
conservation/management issues in a diverse  community  context,
proven  leadership  skills  in a start-up institution, desire to
facilitate education of highly motivated students, wit and  good
humor in an intensive, immersion educational setting.

For  more  information  or  to  apply, please call or e-mail/fax
cover letter, CV and 3 references  (addresses  and  e-mail/phone
numbers) to:

   Dr. David Silverberg, Director
   School for Field Studies
   GPO Bamfield
   British Columbia V0R 1B0
   CANADA
   604-728-2390 phone; 604-728-2391 fax
   e-mail:  [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------
Submissions, subscriptions, etc.:  [email-masked]
BEN is archived on gopher freenet.victoria.bc.ca. The URL is:
gopher://freenet.victoria.bc.ca:70/11/environment/Botany/ben
________________________________________________________________