Subject: MSc Studentship in Ecology

From: P E Hulme <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Jun 1996 09:18:22 GMT

FELLOWSHIP AWARD
                     MSC COURSE IN ECOLOGY
               DEPARTMENT OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
                   THE UNIVERSITY OF DURHAM
The University of Durham, England through funds from the
prestigious Darwin Initiative (Department of Environment), is
looking for candidates to undertake a one year MSc course in
Ecology starting in October 1996 (details of the course to be
provided upon request).
The Fellowship will cover:
ú    all university registration, examination and
 matriculation fees
ú    a monthly stipend
ú    return airfare UK-Brazil
Following the successful completion of the MSc, the Fellow
will be employed for one year in north-east Brazil as
coordinator of the monitoring team for the Darwin Initiative
Project:  "Prosopis invasion: implications for the
biodiversity of caatinga" (stipend approximately pds 500 per
month).
The requirements for the award are (in order of importance):
1.    Brazilian nationality, preferably with experience of
 north-east Brazil
2.   An adequate standard in English (at least 6.5 in the
 IELTS). Please contact Valeria Cortez at the British Council
 in Recife immediately on (081) 4657744 concerning English
 language requirements.
3.   A first degree in biological sciences, e.g. biology,
 botany, zoology, etc., preferably with a focus on ecology or
 environmental sciences.  Graduates in geography, cartography,
 geology are also welcome to apply.
4.   A clear aptitude for further study in ecology,
 particularly as regards caatinga vegetation
5.   An interest in pursuing further ecological studies in
north-east Brazil.
After speaking to Valeria Cortez at the British Council in
Recife, interested candidates should contact Dr Phil Hulme at:
   Department of Biological Sciences
   University of Durham
   Durham DH1 3LE, UK
   Tel (0044) 191 374 3353
   Fax (0044) 191 374 2417
   Email:  [email-masked]
Interested candidates should send the following documentation
to Dr Phil Hulme by
15 July 1996 at the latest:
ú    Updated Curriculum Vitae
ú    Copy of first degree statement
ú    Copy of university certificate
ú    Copy of latest IELTS (or equivalent) result
Pre-selected candidates will be interviewed by Dr Phil Hulme
in Recife in August 1996.

--
*************************************************************************
*  Philip Hulme,			   Tel:      0191-374-3353      *
*  Department of Biological Sciences,	   Fax:      0191-374-2417/3741 *
*  University of Durham,		E-mail: [email-masked]  *
*  Durham.  DH1 3LE.  UK.						*
*************************************************************************

---

From: Charlie Butterworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:42:34

It is so interesting to learn that opportunities in academia are still 
available in UK universities. That is, if you are foreign!! What about 
the numerous British graduates who are unable to scholarships/funding to 
pursue their own academic careers?

-- 
Charlie Butterworth