Subject: caffiene:effect on plants

From: [email-masked] (Mark A. Kushigian)
Date: 10 Mar 1995 22:19:13 GMT

My name is Zach Slowik, and I am doing research in my junior high school 
class as to the effects of caffiene on growing plants.

If anyone could either provide me with information or places to look on 
the net it would be most appreciated.

Thanks much. Please reply to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (SPREAD)
Date: 12 Mar 1995 15:08:23 -0500

When I was a graduate student at Penn State, my advisor, E. Jay Holcomb,
had an undergraduate play around with that. Contact him at Penn State
University, University Park, PA. I don't have the phone number with me.His
internet address may be [email-masked]   but I'm not positive.

---

From: [email-masked] (Hugh Macaulay)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 18:30:33 GMT

> internet address may be [email-masked]   but I'm not positive.

Missed the original article, but...

Caffeine prevents the formation of the cell plate after karyokinesis by
inhibiting the fusion of vesicles in the phragmoplast. 

See Protoplasma, Vol 112, pp152-166 for the effect of caffeine on root
wounding, and various related references contained therein. 

--
Hugh Macaulay
[email-masked]