Subject: Suggestion for Science Fair Project

From: Bob Batson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 13:50:10 -0500

Plant Nutrient Mix vs. Rust

  A plant pathologist in Taiwan reports reductions in rust infestations
due to Puccinia allii on Chinese leeks (Allium ramosum) following
applications of "CH100," a mixture of plant nutrients. Calcium chloride,
calcium nitrate, calcium oxide, and beef extract (we wouldn't have
thought of spraying THAT on plants!) in CH100 apparently inhibited
germination of P. allii spores, while calcium chloride and calcium
nitrate in CH100 apparently reduced the severity of disease symptoms. A
typical dosage was three foliar applications of CH100 at a 1%
concentration. The trials were conducted by J.W. Huang, Dept. of Plant
Pathology, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung 40227, TAIWAN.
Anybody out there interested in trying to replicate these findings
with a home-brewed nutrient mix?
  Reference: Abstract 4983, _Horticultural Abstracts_ 65(6), June 1995,
633.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Reprinted with permission from the September 1995 _HortIdeas_. Copyright
1995 by Greg and Pat Williams. HortIdeas is $20 (2nd class mail within
the USA) for one year (12 issues). Single issues are $2.00 in North
America. For more information or a subscription, write: HortIdeas, 460
Black Lick Road, Gravel Switch, KY 40328, USA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Batson                              L 39 12 14 N  94 33 16 W
[email-masked]                           Kansas City
[email-masked]                    USDA zone 5b
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Under the most controlled conditions, the experimental apparatus will
do exactly as it pleases.