Subject: Meeting: Biotech and Biodiversity - Nov. 1996

From: Ray Dobert <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 May 1996 13:19:37 -0700

Please request additional information from either:
	
	Dr. S.L. Mehta - [email-masked]
			     OR
	Dr. Sivramiah Shantharam - [email-masked]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                       BIOTECHNOLOGY AND BIODIVERSITY:

                       SCIENTIFIC AND ETHICAL ISSUES

                  November 15 - 16 1996, New Delhi, India

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In conjunction with the 2nd International Crop Science Congress to be held
in New Delhi, India from November 17-24, 1996, a pre-congress Satellite
Symposium: BIOTECHNOLOGY AND BIODIVERSITY: SCIENTIFIC AND ETHICAL ISSUES is
being organized at the Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi,
India on November 15 and 16, 1996. The symposium is being sponsored by the
United States Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection
Service.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                   PROGRAM

The general format of the symposium will consist of lecture presentations by
invited speakers, followed by panel discussions.

The first day of the symposium will deal with biosafety and environmental
impact issues related to the deployment of transgenic crop plants expressing
agronomically important traits in the environment, especially in centers of
origin of crop diversity.

The second day of the session will focus on the ethical issues related to
biodiversity prospecting, intellectual property rights, and patentability
issues related to products of biotechnology.

                                REGISTRATION

There is a registration fee of Rs 200/ for citizens of India, Nepal,
Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka, and $50/ for participants from other
parts of the world. 50% reduction is available for bonafide students. For
hotel accommodations, please contact Dr. S.L. Mehta, 2nd ICSC Secretariat,
IARI, New Delhi 110012, India.
Tel: 91-11-5754595/5766286/5753713;
Fax: 91-11-573678/5766420;
E-Mail: [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR THE PROGRAM DETAILS, REGISTRATION, and SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS, PLEASE
CONTACT:
Dr. Sivramiah Shantharam,
USDA, APHIS, BBEP,
4700 River Road,
Riverdale, MD 20737-1237.
Tel: (301)734-4882;
Fax (301)734-8669;
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Registration Form
Abstract Form (postscript format only). Call to have it sent to you.