Subject: Statoliths in space....

From: [email-masked] (Eric Grunden)
Date: 28 Apr 1996 05:51:30 GMT

Here on Earth, the statoliths in early roots detect gravity
and keep plants growing upright. I am wondering what happens
to plant growth in space. Are plants able to grow "downward"
and are the position of the statoliths different in space?

-- 
			*******************
The Spirit of Nature, a powerful force,
	belongs and returns to its creative source.
- Excerpted from The Collective Works of Johnny Pokerface -

---

From: [email-masked] (Rca Godbole)
Date: 29 Apr 1996 09:09:38 GMT

Eric Grunden ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Here on Earth, the statoliths in early roots detect gravity
: and keep plants growing upright. I am wondering what happens
: to plant growth in space. Are plants able to grow "downward"
: and are the position of the statoliths different in space?

: Look up the work by A. Sievers and his group at Bonn. They have published a
: lot on the statoliths in microgravity and centrifugation.
:

: Rca

: -- 
:                       *******************
: The Spirit of Nature, a powerful force,
:       belongs and returns to its creative source.
: - Excerpted from The Collective Works of Johnny Pokerface -

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Pritchard)
Date: 2 May 1996 07:51:48 GMT

>and are the position of the statoliths different in space?

see articles by Perbal G & Driss-Ecole D  who have worked on root growth, microgravity and statocyte polarity

Jeremy