Subject: Gibberellic acid

From: [email-masked] (Arthur Vyn Boennighausen)
Date: 19 Mar 1995 12:01:12 -0500

Fellows, 
 
I am assisting an undergraduate student in doing some basic research into
an aspect of biology. 
 
How about passing on whatever knowledge you have on GIBBERELLIC ACID.  I
only remember that Gibberellic acid is a growth related hormone found in
plants. 
 
Your own knowledge, plus any pointers to knowledge bases on the Internet
about this subject would be usefull. 
 
Thanks for being here! 
 
Arthur

---

From: Bret T <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 14:48:54 -0800

> about this subject would be usefull. 
      Gibberellins are a class of hormones most often associated with the 
control and promotion of seed germination.  Levels of gibberellins are 
usually high in developing seeds but drop to lower levels in mature, 
dormant seeds.  Applied gibberelins have been used to overcome certain 
seed dormancies.  Hope this helps some.   

B.Celmer                 [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Kirby)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 06:31:19 GMT

Gibberellins were discovered in the rice fields. Certain plants were much
taller than the norm. This was called "foolish seedling disease." The
reason found was the growth of a fungus on those plants of the genus
Gibberella (I believe the species is Gibberella fugicoria). The fungus was
producing the hormone (the plants produce it too, but when you add
more...) and was thus triggering one of the effects of gibberellins. 
Gibberellins promote elongation of cells in the stem and division in 
internodes. They promote seed germination, mobilization of storage 
compounds in seeds, and differentiaion of phloem. In rosette bienniels 
(such as carrots) the second growing season is characterized by rapid 
elongation of the internodes, which is induced by gibberellin.

-J
--------------------------------
Jeffrey A. Kirby -- Jester of Xanadu -- [email-masked]

I accept Brad as my superior in every way. Perhaps my mental and 
emotional state may someday improve so I may get closer to his vast 
mental prowess.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ray Dobert)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 08:00:50 -0800

Arthur,

In addition to the impact of GA's mentioned below on seed germination, 
GA's (a group of some 80 or so related chemical structures) regulate a
number of other physiological responses, most notable among these being
internode, or stem, elongation. If you have specific questions let me 
know.

Ray Dobert
BIC/NAL/USDA, Beltsville, MD

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan B. Marder)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 95 07:29:07 GMT

>only remember that Gibberellic acid is a growth related hormone found in

I strongly suggest that you start with an undergraduate plant physiology textbook
from your campus library.
Suggestions:-
Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger
Plant Physiology by Salisbury and Ross
The Control of Growth and Differentiation in Plants by  Wareing and Phillips

Any similar text published in the last 15 years should have considerable information
on Giberellin-controlled processes.

__
Jonathan B. Marder                 '
Department of Agricultural Botany  |     Internet: [email-masked]
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem | /\/
Faculty of Agriculture             |/  \ Phone:    (08 or +9728) 481918
P.O.Box 12, Rehovot 76100, ISRAEL  /     Fax:      (08 or +9728) 467763

---

From: [email-masked] (Arthur Vyn Boennighausen)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 17:28:32 -0500

Hello! 
 
Thanks for the responses on GA.....I believe at least one undergraduate
student is convinced of the value of using the Internet news groups to get
rolling on their research. 
 
I thought your responses were interesting.  Even though my field is
Software Engineering, I enjoyed learning something new from the bionet
community. 
 
If you think you might enjoy viewing some color photos, stories and poems
from the American Alps of Colorado, take a look at the knowledge base I am
constructing using World Wide Web technology at:   
 
 URL http:www.csn.net/~arthurvb/    (don't miss the tilde ~)   
 
There are plenty of pictures of mountain flowers to enjoy! 
 
Thanks for being here! 
 
Arthur Vyn Boennighausen 
Chief Engineer, Hummingbird_Engineering 
-- 
Arthur Vyn Boennighausen

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Bailey)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 15:45:08 GMT

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950320144309.15725B-100000@chip>, Bret T <[email-masked]> writes:
|> On 19 Mar 1995, Arthur Vyn Boennighausen wrote:
|> 
|> > Fellows, 
|> >  
|> > I am assisting an undergraduate student in doing some basic research into
|> > an aspect of biology. 
|> >  
|> > How about passing on whatever knowledge you have on GIBBERELLIC ACID.  I
|> > only remember that Gibberellic acid is a growth related hormone found in
|> > plants. 
|> >  
|> > Your own knowledge, plus any pointers to knowledge bases on the Internet
|> > about this subject would be usefull. 
|> >  
|> > Thanks for being here! 
|> >  
|> > Arthur 
|> > 
|> > 
|>       Gibberellins are a class of hormones most often associated with the 
|> control and promotion of seed germination.  Levels of gibberellins are 
|> usually high in developing seeds but drop to lower levels in mature, 
|> dormant seeds.  Applied gibberelins have been used to overcome certain 
|> seed dormancies.  Hope this helps some.   
|> 
|> B.Celmer                 [email-masked]

I thought I had heard that the major effect was a lengthening of the
internode. This makes it a valuable hormone for the creation of standards.

-- 
Brian Bailey
Oregon City. Zone 7
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My thoughts are sometimes my own. Other times someone says they own them,
			    and I have no rights.

---

From: Bret T <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 14:48:54 -0800

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Kirby)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 06:31:19 GMT

-J

---

From: [email-masked] (Ray Dobert)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 08:00:50 -0800

Arthur,

Ray Dobert

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan B. Marder)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 95 07:29:07 GMT

__
Jonathan B. Marder                 '

---

From: [email-masked] (Arthur Vyn Boennighausen)
Date: 23 Mar 1995 17:28:32 -0500

Hello! 

 

 
Thanks for being here! 
 
Arthur Vyn Boennighausen

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Bailey)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 15:45:08 GMT

---

From: Andy <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Mar 1995 14:13:11 GMT

Long Ashton Research Station, a major centre for GA research, now has
a WWW page entitled "A short history of the gibberellins"

http://www.res.bbsrc.ac.uk/LARS/plantsci/gas.html

There are also links to other GA-related items at LARS and elsewhere.

Andy Phillips
LARS
([email-masked])