Subject: Re: Plants without chlorophyll

From: [email-masked] (larson eric)
Date: 21 Jun 1995 19:53:53 GMT

Albert Adelman <[email-masked]> writes:

>I have several variegated Clivia miniata, all from seed. I'm now in the 
>second generation. The 
>albino I metioned is the first I've encountered.
===========
 
I really shouldn't comment, since I don't know the plant, but would it be
possible to graft it to a normal plant -- if only to keep it alive?

-- 
Eric Larson                  | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
USDA/Agronomy                | 190 PABL; 1201 W. Gregory; Urbana, IL 61801
[email-masked]     | Voice 217.244.3079  Fax 217.244.4419
Fidonet: 1:233/4.1           | My opinions are my own, but correct :-)

---

From: [email-masked] (Adrian, Glenn Murray)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 00:53:15 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Albert Adelman <[email-masked]> writes:
>From: Albert Adelman <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Plants without chlorophyll
>Date: 20 Jun 1995 12:18:57 GMT

>I'd like to raise a seedling of Clivia miniata lacking chlorophyll. Is it possible to raise it 
>in potting medium and add nutrients the plant is able to use?

No idea really. Should think after a certain size it would be imposible.  But
you would use simple sugars as well as nutrients, may be able to foliar feed?

Glenn
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (larson eric)
Date: 22 Jun 1995 02:27:37 GMT

[email-masked] (Adrian, Glenn Murray) writes:

>>I'd like to raise a seedling of Clivia miniata lacking chlorophyll. Is it 
>>possible to raise it in potting medium and add nutrients the plant is able 
>>to use?

>you would use simple sugars as well as nutrients, may be able to foliar feed?
============
 
A full tissue culture media, with sucrose, might work also (but probably
beyond the ability of a home gardener to achieve as it needs to be
sterile).

---

From: Albert Adelman <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jun 1995 12:18:57 GMT

---

From: Albert Adelman <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Jun 1995 19:05:17 GMT

I have several variegated Clivia miniata, all from seed. I'm now in the second generation. The 
albino I metioned is the first I've encountered.