Subject: Help!! Paper Wasps Needed

From: [email-masked] (phil)
Date: 7 Jun 1995 02:57:59 GMT

Hello.  My name is Phil Starks.  I am a graduate student at Cornell
University in the field of NeuroBiology and Behavior.  I am currently
examining paper wasps, specifically Polistes dominulus.  I am evaluating
their nesting behavior and population genetics.

I want to compare animals from different regions -- mostly from the
Northeast in areas between Boston, MA and Ithaca, NY.  My problem is
finding these critters.  They tend to congregate in the eves of man-made
structures.  I have searched state parks and some universities but have
only found 4 usable sites.  A usable site is one that has been relatively
undisturbed (not sprayed with insecticides) for a few years and contains 18
or more colonies.  

These wasps make un-enveloped nests -- you can plainly see the cells of the
comb (it looks much like a gray honeycomb).  P. dominulus  is the more
yellow and smaller of the 2 Polistes  species in this region (P. fuscatus 
is dark brown and the larger of the two animals).  At this time of year you
may see colonies with anywhere from 1 to 10 individuals, and nests that may
contain 8 to 100 cells.  If you know of any potential sites please email
me.  I am offering a $20.00 finder fee for useful sites.

Thanks for reading this message

Phil Starks ([email-masked])

---

From: Keet Kopecky <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jun 1995 15:45:12 GMT

What in the world do paper wasps have to do with plants (or the 
tropics, or jobs)?  You've wildly over-posted this "wasps wanted" 
ad...not generally a good idea if you are seeking serious 
assistance from the scientific community.  We've got enough mail 
>from  properly focused sources without encountering the same ad in 
every newsgroup we access.