Subject: UK Amateur botany - where do I start?

From: Andrew Douglas <amd>
Date: 18 Sep 1995 13:09:51 GMT

Hi,

I've recently re-discovered a passion for wild plants, and would
like to get into it in a more serious fashion.  I'm not sure, though,
where to start.

I've got books - Stace's British Flora, and simpler photo guide,
and various other general stuff.  Can anyone tell me where I can
buy equipment - mail order or in the York area?  What kind of things
do I need?

Related to equipment, is it still the fashion to create a herbarium?
I was wondering whether current trends were towards the non-destruction
of plants  - even common ones, or is the picking of common plants still
carried out?

Finally, what about societies and things - I've heard of the Botanical
Society of the British Isles (or something like this), but they sound
a bit above me!

Any help will be greatfully received - I've got the winter to organise
myself!

Thanks,

Andrew Douglas.

---

From: Siu Sun Carol <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 06:46:22 GMT

I am a Biology student in Hong Kong. Could you tell me what you have 
learnt in the field course? It should be very interesting for you to 
share with me, right? I'm looking forward to your reply!

---

From: Siu Sun Carol <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 06:48:28 GMT

---

From: Siu Sun Carol <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 06:49:33 GMT