Subject: Re: Seeking White Crepe Myrtle

From: Rethinam Sabapathy <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Mar 1996 16:32:04 GMT

I think you are seeking Lagerstromia indica with white flowers. This 
plant is native to India. The Tamil name being Pavalakurinji. This shrub 
is commonly planted along roadsides in Singapore. White, pink, red, 
purple & other coloured flowers. Propagation seeds or cuttings and I can 
get both. How now?

---

From: [email-masked] (Phlomis)
Date: 19 Mar 1996 16:04:04 -0500

Can anyone help with identifying the wood referred to as being used for
javelin shafts in ancient time. it is described as <bois de cornouiller>
in a French article quoting Xenophon.
Thanks.

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Beverly Erlebacher)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 01:29:33 GMT

>in a French article quoting Xenophon.

It may be Cornus mas, a dogwood commonly known as cornelian cherry.  The
book 'Uncommon Fruits Worthy of Attention' by Lee Reich quotes a classical
source describing gory wounds caused by javelins made of this wood.  It
may well be the same quote!

Cornelian cherries are grown as a fruit crop in the Balkans, but mainly
as an ornamental elsewhere.

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada

---

From: [email-masked](Michael L Roginsky )
Date: 25 Mar 1996 21:59:53 GMT

>in a French article quoting Xenophon.

Jim, I bet the wood had to be relatively dense and cure without
warping. This should narrow down your search. Definitely not pine!
Micro.

---

From: Susan Ramsay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 11:28:51 GMT

>in a French article quoting Xenophon.

<bois de cornouiller> is the wood of Cornus species (Dogwoods). These are 
usually shrubby plants rather than trees and are often grown now in 
gardens for their colourful bark in winter. I don't know off hand which 
species of Cornus would have been used for javelin shafts but if you want 
to know more please e-mail me and I'll see if I can find out any more for 
you.

Best wishes,

Susan.

---

From: [email-masked] (Phlomis)
Date: 27 Mar 1996 09:21:33 -0500

Thanks for your reply. Others have suggested Cornus mas, saying that it is
commonly called cornel.
Jim