Subject: Help on Kambucca Drink

From: [email-masked] (B.M. Gaskell)
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 11:30:21

Drink Kambucca made at home with fungi base probably mushroom base designed 
supposedly for vitamin b content. Suspect mushroom drug involved. Any 
information on this?

Email Barry
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 May 1995 17:59:11 GMT

> [email-masked]

Kombucha is a membrane-like culture of yeasts and bacteria.
Among them are Bacterium xylinum, B. gluconicum, Acetobacter ketogenum,
and Pichia fermentans.  The culture grows in and ferments a medium of
black tea and sugar.  No drugs involved.  Byproducts include about
0.5% alcohol, glucoronic acid, lactic acid, carbonic acid, oaxaloic
acid, usnic acid, vitamins B, C,  and various amino acids.  The
fermented tea is drank and is reputed to cure various ills.  For more
information, check out the Kombucha newsgroup site.

gopher: gopher.holistic.com:70/11/members/holistic/kombucha/
ftp:    ftp.holistic.com/gopher-data/members/holistic/kombucha/

Sincerely,