Subject: Twining plants

From: [email-masked] (Catherine Wheatcroft)
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 21:10:13 GMT

Why do the shoots of pole beans grow counter-clockwise and not
clockwise? Any information would be welcome.

--
	You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
     I hope someday you will join us, and the world will live as one.
                                                       Imagine
                                                           -John Lennon

---

From: Frank van de Loo <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 May 1995 11:54:03 GMT

Owen Foley <[email-masked]> wrote:
>[email-masked] (Catherine Wheatcroft) wrote:
>According to some it is different on each side of the equator...but this could be an 
>urban legend
>Does anyone know?
>
I've seen the same discussion about hop vines, for which it was suggested 
that twining is the result of the growing apex following the sun during 
the course of the day (heliotropism, like sunflowers).  Of course this 
would result in opposite directions in the northern and southern 
hemispheres; the only problem I see is that it predicts clockwise in the 
north, anti-clockwise in the south, contrary to the above.  We should 
probably just go back and read Darwin...
Frank.
-------
Frank van de Loo
USDA-ARS & Dept. Horticulture
University of Kentucky

---

From: Owen Foley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 14:44:23 GMT