Subject: What is word for 'leechie' (Hindi - fruit) in English?

From: [email-masked] (S. Khan)
Date: 28 May 1996 10:32:08 -0400

What is the word for the leechie fruit (Hindi) in English?

Any info on how to plant it?  Especially in Southeastern USA?

Please e-mail your replies.

Thanks!

---

From: Eileen Hickey <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Jun 1996 21:50:11 GMT

This is the lychee? A lovely tree with sweet fruit in a paper-thin shell? 
I tried to grow this in Tampa Florida. It grows well in more southern 
regions: Miami, St. Petersberg, FL (which is right beside Tampa but is 
warmer because of water on 3 sides). Anywhere there is freezing 
temperatures below 28 in the winter is difficult for these trees. They 
are also wind sensitive. In marginal climates like Tampa, there are older 
trees that do well because the winters were mild during the years that 
the young trees were becoming established.

---

From: Victor Neto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 19:21:26 +0100

INTERNATIONAL CASHEW AND COCONUT CONFERENCE
DAR-ES-SALAM 
TANZANIA 
17-21 February 1997

Organised by 
- The Government of Tanzania represented by the 
	Agricultural Research Institutes of 
		Naliendele (cashew) and 
		Mikocheni (coconut) 
-GTZ  (German Agency for Technical Cooperation)
-ODA  (Overseas Development Agency, UK)

Expressions of interest in attending, indicating if they wish to make a
paper or poster presentation, by 31st July 1996.  Further information and
registration forms from the local organiser: 

Dr Alois Kullaya
ARI Mikocheni
PO Box 6226
Dar-es-Salaam
Tanzania

Tel:  +255.51.74384 or 74606..9
Fax:  +255.51.46454 or 75549

=================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (BRateaver)
Date: 8 Jun 1996 01:14:28 -0400

Could it possibly be litchi? a small, round tropical fruit, with
translucent flesh and warty red skin.

B. Rateaver