Subject: Re: Madagascar Palm

From: Mike Maxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 19:35:40 -0700

Henk, Beentje wrote:
> 
> Mike Maxson <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >I have a palm called Dypsis baronii (Neodypsis compactus) from
> >Madagascar. The  palm is in a one gl. pot and is only about 1
> >foot tall and is starting to branch. I know this palm is known
> >to branch but is it normal to branch this early.
> 
> I have seen it branch in the wild, usually pretty close to the ground. It's
> rare, though, for baronii to branch. I wouldn't expect more than one
> branching point either - if you have more you might have D. lutescens
> or D. andrianatonga. They're almost impossible to tell apart when sterile.
> 
> HenkAfter looking up D. andrianatonga in the "Palms of Madagascar" I would 
have to say if this is not D. baronii, then it must be a D. lutescens. 
Seeing how I have never been able to grow D. lutescens at my location 
(inland So. California) and this palms growth rate is medium to fast, I 
tend to think that this is D. baronii?. Time will tell....
Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Denelzen)
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 96 11:36:43 GMT

Henk Beentje wrote:
>Henk

the plant you are refering to is Neodypsis baronii or our common name for it
is "Dwarf Golden cane"  the golden cane is "Chrysalidocarpus lutescens". the
N baronii grows to aprox 3mtrs prefers some shade and is much branched or suckered
it has quite long gracefull leaves with an off white to yellow leaf base when
young, it is slow growing when young and is slow to establish itself in the
garden but once established growth is quite good.

Bob Denelzen
[email-masked]