Subject: Information on wheat and corn NEEDED

From: [email-masked] (Sandor Szego)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 17:20:58 -0600

I am developing a tutoring system to teach plant science. I am looking for
information on:
   - Diseases of different crops (wheat and corn in the current version)
and animals
   - How frequent and severe each of these diseases are
   - Do diseases depend on local geography and climate
   - What are the major varieties of wheat and corn
   - What are the major differences between corn and wheat, i.e. why would
someone decide to grow one or the other.  Issues that are of interest to
me are:
      . climate (what aspect of the climate, and how are the two crops
different)
      . geography (what aspects of geography are important, and why)
      . different types of diseases (are they sensitive to different types
of parazites, if yes, which ones)
      . irrigation and fertilization (do they require different amounts of
water, and fertilizer, do they require different types of fertilizers)
      . other costs of growing (e.g, different soil preparation is needed,
what are the cost factors in growing each, and why are they different) and
price
      . differences in sowing, harvest and other tasks

If you can point to me some good books (textbooks maybe?) that would be
great.    Also, information on other computer programs that teach plant
science would be great. 

Thanks!

Sandor
-- 
Sandor Szego
The Institute for the Learning Sciences
Northwestern University
[email-masked]