Subject: International Conservation Holidays

From: "Bill Edwards at BTCV" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 17:00:13 GMT

Would you enjoy:-
A conservation holiday in the famous Samerian Gorge on Crete this July?
Or  help with Wetland management & education in New South Wales  in 
August?
Or construct a board walk on Red Bay, Oterio, Canada in September?      

A Full programme of over 50 international conservation holidays is on 
the web:-
http://www.demon.co.uk/dobx/btcv/inter.html

If you do not have WWW access:-
Meryl Powell, the International Holidays Administrator, will be available to answer any 
queries you may have and help ensure that you have an enjoyable holiday.

e-mail [email-masked]
Tel 01491 839766
Fax 01491 839646                                                 

----------------------------------------------------
Want to hear more of those three holidays I mentioned?

GREECE 
Samaria Gorge, Crete 913
5-22 July 1995
Construction 
The whole of Samaria Gorge, 16km long and 600m high in some places, is an Area of 
Outstanding Natural Beauty and is noted for its 14 endemic species, lush vegetation 
and birds of prey. The project, run in conjunction with European Conservation 
Volunteers Greece, will involve volunteers from all over Europe. Based in the 
spectacular Samaria Gorge National Park and working with the Parks Forestry 
Department, we will be carrying out reconstruction work in an old traditional village. 
This will include erecting a fence and building benches and tables as well as a re 
station. The settlement is 6km from the entrance to the gorge and can only be reached 
by foot. Being isolated, there is neither phone nor electricity.
Meeting Point: Hania

AUSTRALIA
New South Wales 901
14 August-25 September 1995
Wetland management & education
New South Wales is the place where Captain Cook and his crew rst landed in Australia 
and is today the most populated state. However it continues to offer magnificent 
scenery which is so characteristic of this area such as the vast inland agricultural and 
grazing plains, highlands and a beautiful coastline. Working with the Australian Trust for 
Conservation Volunteers, this project will be divided into three sections and will 
involve working on separate projects, all within New South Wales. The first week will be 
spent at Willow Gully, in the Illawarra Valley on the south coast, continuing a programme 
of wetland regeneration. The second will be spent at Cattai Creek, within the Cattai 
National Park, stabilising the banks by planting trees. During the following two weeks 
we will be asked to conduct an environmental education programme for children in 
remote primary schools. The project details for the nal two weeks are yet to be 
confirmed. Participants need to be t and prepared to work in all weather conditions. 
The accommodation will vary from project to project and you may be camping, 
caravaning, or staying in a youth hostel.
Meeting Point: ATCV Office, Sydney
                  
CANADA
Red Bay, Ontario 908
10-20 September 1995
Boardwalk construction & wetland work
The project will be based on the Bruce Peninsula with its imposing limestone cliffs to 
the east and its sandy shores to the west. The undeveloped woods and wetlands on 
the western side are a botanists paradise and they are also famous for over 40 species 
of orchid. We will be working for the Federation of Ontario Naturalists in the National 
Park which covers the northern tip of the peninsula. The park contains many Areas of 
Outstanding Natural Beauty and some rare flora and fauna. The fen and marsh complex, 
where the project will take place, is on the shores of Lake Huron and contains an 
abundance of reptiles and amphibians, including the endangered eastern Massassauga 
rattlesnake. The work will include installing a boardwalk through the fen, re-routing 
drainage channels and fencing along a local trail. Leisure activities could include 
exploring the park, a canoe trip on the Rankin River, a night-time owl prowl or a boat 
tour of Fathom Five National Marine Park. Accommodation will be in a luxurious lodge 
with full catering, private rooms and a swimming pool.
Meeting Point: York Mills Subway, Toronto
                                            ---------------------------------------------------
Why go on a International Conservation Holiday?
Conservation is becoming an increasingly important issue in many different countries 
and something which affects us all. BTCVs International Conservation Action Network 
(ICAN) brings over 40 countries together to develop local environmental action 
world-wide.
By going on a holiday, you can be part of this global network, and during 1995 you can 
also take part in projects which celebrate European Nature Conservation Year.
Whatever you decide to do, you can be sure that conservation volunteering offers real 
benefits to both people and places.

Discovery beyond the tourist trail
What would you regard as an ideal holiday? If you are looking for an opportunity to do 
something different, to step off the tourist trail and discover a country while doing 
important conservation work, read on.
As the UKs largest practical conservation charity, BTCV has a wealth of experience in 
organising and running residential projects. Following the success of its Natural Break 
conservation working holidays in the UK, BTCV also provides people with the 
opportunity to take part in conservation volunteering on an even wider scale. Its 
international holidays, operating in 18 countries from Romania to Japan demonstrate 
the effectiveness of applying a partnership approach to conservation.

Bill Edwards
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 North West Conservation Volunteers 
   EMail: [email-masked] http://www.demon.co.uk/dobx/btcv/       
Internation Administration: Meryl Powell
   e-mail [email-masked] Tel 01491 839766 Fax 01491 839646