Subject: Re: Benlate

From: [email-masked] (Marc van Iersel)
Date: 10 Mar 1995 12:10:45 -0800

>Marc, 
>       There has been numerous studies as to the breakdown of benlate to
>cyanide. To you have any information on this. As well as do you agree that
>it did kill plants or what.
>                             Sincerly, 
>                              Glenn

Apparently, there is an article in Florida Environments, Feb. 1995, "Burying 
Bad Benlate", where an investiator from the Florida Department of 
Environmental Protection bureau suggested the possibility of cyanide gas 
emissions from soils contaminated with Benlate.  I have not seen this
article and I don't have any other information on this subject.

>
>>Benlate is a fungicide that is produced by DuPont.  Allegedly it has caused
>>currently
>>damage.  If you have any specific questions about Benlate, please let me
>>know.
>
>Specifically, what damage?

>Adrian

Benlate has been shown to cause interveinal chlorosis, marginal leaf burn,
and leaf deformation.  It also decreases dry matter of many species.

Marc van Iersel

---

From: [email-masked] (AArchie996)
Date: 13 Mar 1995 15:07:33 -0500

I need to know what the damages where in hawaii and why they won there
case. Also, This chemical was considered a pesticide and instead killed
the plants and feed the insects. What other types of damages have you
heard of??

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Kirby)
Date: 14 Mar 1995 18:43:20 GMT

AArchie996 ([email-masked]) wrote:
:     I need to know what the damages where in hawaii and why they won there
: case. Also, This chemical was considered a pesticide and instead killed
: the plants and feed the insects. What other types of damages have you
: heard of??

There were several notices of orchid growers losing lots of plants (some 
lost all) to contaminated Benlate (was it two years ago now??) The 
American Orchid Society Bulletin had at least one article on the problem.

-J

--------------------------------
Jeffrey A. Kirby -- Jester of Xanadu -- [email-masked]

I accept Brad as my superior in every way. Perhaps my mental and 
emotional state may someday improve so I may get closer to his vast 
mental prowess.

---

From: [email-masked] (David Orlovich)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 03:27:43 GMT

I had some Benlate made up in an atomiser I was using to spray some
carnivorous plants.  My mum didn't read the label I had put on the
side and she sprayed it on a few punnets of Petunias.  The Benlate was
made up 1/2 strength from memory.  Anyway, all the petunias were dead
in a couple of days.
	When I was younger I sprayed the plants in my glasshouse without
any precautions like a gas mask and I remember feeling very nauseous
for a few hours afterwards.  I haven't used it since and have made sure
that I minimise conditions to promote fungal infection of seedlings
etc and that this usually suffices.