Subject: Cancer Drugs from Plants

From: Paula Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 20:10:41 -0700

I need a list of cancer-fighting drugs derived from plants, and the 
plant that they come from. Can anyone lead me to this information? I'm 
making an informative poster for a fund-raiser to benefit cancer 
research.

Thanks! 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Marco_Bleeker)
Date: 14 May 1996 23:10:42 GMT

Paula Johnson <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I need a list of cancer-fighting drugs derived from plants,

http://biotech.chem.indiana.edu/botany 
Plant Compounds and Chemotherapy

This on-line list is not very long - if you find more info, please let
me, and/or (better) the webmaster of the above site know !

Success, Marco

<[email-masked]>------------------<Marco Bleeker, Amsterdam, NL>
<CHEZ MARCO'S BOTANY PAGES>---<http://www.euronet.nl/users/mbleeker/>
<Plants Programs Pictures>------------------------------<nl-en-de-fr>
-- 
  YES!!! It has arrived: CIVILIZATION II. The CD-ROM sequel to the
  best strategic computergame ever! You'll be sorry if you miss it!
<------------------------------------------------------------------->

---

From: [email-masked] (Beverly Erlebacher)
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 04:09:11 GMT

>making an informative poster for a fund-raiser to benefit cancer 

There are a group of drugs called vinca alkaloids which are derived
>from  Catharanthus roseus (formerly Vinca rosea), sometimes called the
Madagascar periwinkle.  They have been used to treat lymphomas and
other cancers for about 30 years.  Some of the first of these drugs
were vinblastine and vincristine, and a recent one is navelbine.

C.roseus is often used as an annual bedding plant for hot dry locations. 
It is usually sold as "vinca".  You can easily find pictures in seed
catalogs and garden books for your poster.

Another recent botanical drug is taxol, derived from the yew tree
(Taxus spp.)

Hope this helps!

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada

---

From: [email-masked] ("Roger Whitehead")
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 22:53:30 GMT

> 
> I need a list of cancer-fighting drugs derived from plants

I don't know any myself but it might be worth doing a Web search on 
ethnobotany as a starter. You might want to pair it with "cancer".

Roger

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Roger Whitehead,
14 Amy Road, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0PX, England
Tel: +44 (0)1883 713074; Fax: +44 (0)1883 716793
.

---

From: [email-masked] ("Roger Whitehead")
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 09:22:19 GMT

> me, and/or (better) the webmaster of the above site know !

Marco is obviously too modest to say this himself, but his Web page is 
well worth a visit. He's a good photographer, too. The address is 
http://www.euronet.nl/users/mbleeker/.

Roger

Roger Whitehead,