Subject: Which plants grow the fastest?

From: [email-masked] (AndrewH887)
Date: 31 Mar 1995 18:31:11 -0500

I am in a science fair at school.  I need to know what common plants that
you can buy at the store that will grow very fast.  The fair in in 4
weeks. please help me.

---

From: [email-masked] (Cat)
Date: 5 Apr 1995 08:14:14 +1000

> you can buy at the store that will grow very fast.  The fair in in 4

Hi! I'm not sure exactly what you need the plants for - will you need the
leaves or the flowers or fruits, what size they will need to end up being
for you science fair and so on? I am not being critical, just trying to
determine what might be suitable for your requirements.

For example, you could conceivably sow seed of mustard or cress NOW and in
four weeks you would have small plants - maybe with two or three sets of
leaves. You could buy a punnet of plants from a local store or nursery
which may be just coming in to flower. Depends what you want the plants
for.

---

From: [email-masked] (MIKERICH)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 00:39:57 -0400

A grass that germinates and grows quickly is annual ryegrass.  Seed is
available at most home and garden stores or at a feed/livestock supply
store.  If you want "fast-growing", you should get some Kudzu, a vine that
isa pervasive weed in the deep south.  Kudzu has been measured to have a
growth rate of 1 foot per day !!

From Glenn Hicks Tue Apr 11 23:03:57 EDT 1995
Article: 6015 of bionet.plants
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!gatech!howland.reston.ans.net!vixen.cso.uiuc.edu!uwm.edu!msunews!news
From: [email-masked] (Your Name Here)
Newsgroups: bionet.plants
Subject: golgi-specific lipid markers
Date: 9 Apr 1995 01:09:39 GMT
Organization: Your Organization
Lines: 7
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Glenn Hicks
NNTP-Posting-Host: 35.8.197.71
X-Newsreader: WinVN 0.90.6

Does anyone know if there are fluorescently labeled golgi-specific 
lipid markers that have actually been shown to function in plant cells.
I am aware of ceramide derivatives which are specific for the golgi in animal
cells.  They eventually wind up in other membranes, however, when they are metabolized.
Do the ceramide derivatives work in plants?  I would like to stain and perhaps
track golgi vesicles in vivo.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.