Subject: Air layering

From: Catherine Tolbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 20:40:52 -0700

If I were to use air layering to propagate my rubber plant, would I have 
to use spagnum moss, or could I use something else in it's place?

From Ancha  Srinivasan Sun May  7 17:06:49 EDT 1995
Article: 6256 of bionet.plants
Newsgroups: bionet.plants
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!gatech!usenet.eel.ufl.edu!noc.netcom.net!news.sprintlink.net!howland.reston.ans.net!vixen.cso.uiuc.edu!uwm.edu!uwvax!newssinet!news.u-tokyo.ac.jp!wnoc-tyo-news!news.imnet.ad.jp!ap-a!news
From: Ancha  Srinivasan
Subject: Re: Effect of Salt on Seed Germination
Sender: [email-masked]
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 06:06:38 GMT
References: <[email-masked]>
Nntp-Posting-Host: pc11.jircas-os.affrc.go.jp
Organization: Agriculture,Forestry and Fisheries Research Council, Japan.
X-Newsreader: WinVN 0.90.5
Lines: 24

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (HORTON DISTRICT HIGH SCHOOL) says:
>
>I am doing a high school honors project on the effect of salt concentrations 
>on germination rates. I have searched the net but come up empty. Could someone 
>direct me to a place where I might find information on this topic as our high 
>school library is very limited.
>
>Steve Fletcher
>[email-masked]

Dear Steve:

There is a lot of literature available on this subject. For example,
please consult the Annual Reports of the International Rice
Research Institute to find out the effects of salt on germination of
rice. Various salts have different effects on germination. For instance, 
sulphate salinity is more dangerous than chloride salinity in
some crops. The researchers at IRRI use 1.5% NaCl solution to screen 
rice germplasm for salt tolerance. If you need more references, 
please contact me via E-Mail ([email-masked]).

With best wishes.

Ancha Srinivasan

---

From: ISAAC FORQUER <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 12:58:34 -0400

> to use spagnum moss, or could I use something else in it's place?
Catherine,
	Yes, you should use sphagnum for airlayering.  It is good for two 
reasons:
	1.) It is a good medium to keep the airlayer moist for a long period of 
            time
	2.) Sphagnum has some mild anti-biotic properties to protect the open 
            wound.>