Subject: Rice in a greenhouse or growth chamber

From: Aaron Reeves <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Mar 1996 18:34:41 GMT

We are trying to grow rice (O. sativa- indica IR 36) under 
greenhouse conditions or in a growth chamber, and have met with little 
success so far.  Seedlings are growing in a soil/perlite (1:1) mix at 
about 32 degrees C with 24-hr illumination.  We placed pots (3-4" in 
diameter and about 4" high) in a hydroponic solution with a pH of 5.5, 
which we top off with water daily and replace weekly.  Pots are always 
in 1-2" of solution.  We've tried several different solution 
formulations, none of which has given good results.
     Our worst problem has been the onset of chlorosis in our seedlings, 
typically before they are 3 weeks old.  We suspect that this is an iron 
deficiency, but foliar feeding with a chelated iron solution has not 
helped.
    Does anyone know of a good protocol for growing rice in a 
greenhouse/growth chamber (temp, humidity, pH, lighting, nutrients)?  Is 
there anything apparently wrong with what we've done so far?  We'd 
appreciate any advise that anyone might have to offer.

Thanks,

Aaron

------------------------------
Aaron Reeves
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Department of Biology
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] ("K N and P J Harris")
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 19:26:10 GMT

> ==========
> bionet/plants #745, from [email-masked], 2158 chars, 22 
Mar 1996 18:34:41 
> ----------
> Article: 9266 of bionet.plants
> Xref: cix.compulink.co.uk bionet.plants:9266 
bionet.biology.grasses:215
> Path: 
cix.compulink.co.uk!news.compulink.co.uk!btnet!dispatch.news.demon.net!d
emon!tank.news.pipex.net!pipex!swrinde!howland.reston.ans.net!EU.net!Nor
way.EU.net!nntp.uio.no!nntp.uib.no!nntp-bergen.UNIN
> ETT.no!nntp-trd.UNINETT.no!daresbury!biosci!rutgers
> 
!csn!news-1.csn.net!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!lerc.nasa.gov!purdue!yuma!
usenet
> From: Aaron Reeves <[email-masked]>
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants,bionet.biology.grasses
> Subject: Rice in a greenhouse or growth chamber
> Date: 22 Mar 1996 18:34:41 GMT
> Organization: Biology Dept., Colorado State University
> Lines: 31
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> NNTP-Posting-Host: gator226.biology.colostate.edu
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> X-Mailer: Mozilla 1.1N (Macintosh; I; 68K)
> X-URL: news:bionet.plants
> 
Hi,
We used to grow rice here in UK in glasshouse conditions in a 2 gallon 
plastic bucket in soil with a layer of 3 - 4 in water with few problems.
Suggestions, anything grown on a small scale can have serious nutrient, 
pH, temp changes. Try rinsing the perlite through thoroughly before 
starting up.
Good luck,
Peter Harris,
Department of Soil Science, 
University of reading,
AKA [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 10:55:13 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>, Aaron Reeves
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> greenhouse/growth chamber (temp, humidity, pH, lighting, nutrients)? 
Aaron,

We routinely grow rice in a growth chamber under 30,000 lux, 16H light, 25°C:8H 
dark, 23°C cycle in the below medium and bottom feed with either Mikkelson's 
solution (1X) or a supplemented commercial formula (See Plant Mol Biol 
15:527-538. 1990.

The humidity should be around 70-80% and the temperature could be warmer
but this works for us - we use the growth chamber to acclimate transgenics
before transfer to the greenhouse.  We have, however, grown plants to
maturity under these conditions.

1. Prepare potting soil at least 12 hours in advance to allow thorough
wetting.  
Mix 5 parts shredded pasteurized peat moss with 7 parts coarse vermiculite and 
saturate with Mikkelson's nutrient solution .

2. Insert a 7" X 7" nylon mesh into the bottom of a one gallon pot and
fill with 
potting soil to within 4 mm of the rim.  

Materials For Plant Growth
1. Shredded pasteurized peat moss.
2. Coarse vermiculite.
3. One gallon plastic pots.
4. 12" x 2" round trays.
5. 1 X 2 mm mesh nylon screen.
6. Reverse osmosis purified or deionized water.
7. Mikkelson's nutrient solution.  See Table 1.

_______________________________________________________
Table 1.  Mikkelson's nutrient solution.  
Make a separate stock solution of micronutrients and of each macronutrient.  
Dilute stock solutions to prepare final nutrient solution.        

Constituent, stock solution (grams/L), nutrient solution (mL stock sol'n/L)
KNO3, 101.1, 6.0
Ca(NO3)2.4H20, 236.2, 4.0
NH4H2PO4, 115.1, 2.0
MgSO4.7H2O, 246.5, 1.0
micronutrient stock sol'n, asee below, 1.0
iron chelate 330, bsee below, 0.2 g/L
_________________________________________________________
aFor 1 L micronutrient stock solution, dissolve the following in 1 L water
while 
mixing:

KCl, 3.728 g, 
H3BO3, 1.546 g, 
MnSO4.H2O, 0.338 g, 
ZnSO4, 0.575 g, 
CuSO4.5 H2O, 0.125 g, 
H2MoO4 (85% MoO3), 0.081 g, 
____________________________________________________________
bAdd iron chelate as a solid to the final nutrient solution.