Subject: Herbarium in El Salvador

From: Carlos R. Ramirez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 11:23:31 EDT

After more than a decade of near inactivity, the Herbarium of the University of
 El Salvador (known ans Herbario del Instituto Tropical de Investigacion
Cientifica, I.T.I.C.) announces a new beginning.  As many of you know, El
Salvador is currently recuperating from a period of internal armed conflict.
>from  which the herbarium did not escape.  A bomb was placed in its
installations, many specimens and cabinets were damaged or completely
destroyed.  Under the direction of the new curator, Nohemy E. Ventura, M.Sc.,
the herbarium is back and ready to contribute to the study of plants.  There
are approximately 28,000 specimens and collecting is taking place yhroughout
the country by staff members and university students.  The entire collection
includes all plant groups, lichens, and fungi.
 
Loans will be made, provided the borrower is willing to pay for the shipping
costs.  We are trying to update our Herbarium Library and the plant collection
itself; therefore, we will accept donations of books, reprints, and specimens.
 Particularly those related to the Neotropics.  We encourage anyone passing
through the region to stop by and visit us.  We will try our best to assist
with housing and other logistic needs.
includes all plant groups, lichens, and fungi.

 
 
Loans will be made, provided the borrower is willing to pay for the shipping
costs.  We are trying to update our Herbarium Library and the plant collection
itself; therefore, we will accept donations of books, reprints, and specimens.
 Particularly those related to the Neotropics.  We encourage anyone passing
through the region to stop by and visit us.  We will try our best to assist
with housing and other logistic needs.
 
For further information please contact any of us:
 
Lic. Nohemy E. Ventura, Curadora
Herbario, Escuela de Biologia
Universidad de El Salvador
Ciudad Universitaria, San Salvador
El Salvador, C. A.
Tel. (503) 226-2072
Fax  (503) 225-4208
 
Carlos R. Ramirez
Plant Sciences Ph.D. Subprogram
Department of Biological Sciences
Lehman College, CUNY
Bronx, NY 10468  U.S.A.
Tel. (718) 960-8658
Fax  (718) 960-8236
E-Mail  [email-masked]