Subject: Re: Palm tree info

From: [email-masked] (Neil Yorio)
Date: 26 May 1995 13:40:54 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (J Fenix) says:
>
>I have a palm tree in Northwest Florida that seems to be blooming. I've 
>never seen a palm blossom before. The palm is squatty, with fronds that 
>grow up and out like an umbrella. The blossom comes from a leaf-like 
>growth that opens to reveal a spindly, spikey looking branch with small 
>nut-like buds. Its yellow and red. My questions are...what kind of palm...
>and can the buds be propogated to produce palm plants. Thanks for any 
>help you can provide.
>
It appears that you have a Jelly (or Pindo) palm, scientific name
is Butia capitata.  It should have bluish-green leaves that are 
feather-like in appearance.  It is native to Argentina and is very
cold-hardy (a clue as to why it is in Northwest Florida).  Maximum height 
usually is about 15 feet.  The blossom (inflorescence)that you describe
comes out of a "spathe", and contains both male and female flowers.  The
male flowers are open and disseminating pollen immediately, while the 
female flowers are closed (the nut-like buds are the female flowers).  If
there is another Jelly palm close by, you should get pollenation of the
female flowers.  Also, if there are more than one inflorescence on the
same tree, then you can get pollenation that way, since the male and
female flowers on the same inflorescence are not open at the same time.
If pollenated, then the female flowers will turn into seeds that are
about 1 inch long, and yellowish-orange when ripe.  When they fall off
the tree, clean the fruit off the inner hard seed, and let air dry
(about 2 days).  Then store in a plastic bag with some moist sphagnum 
moss of vermiculite for about 3 more months.  At this point, sow the 
seeds under about a half inch of soil, and you should have seedlings
in a few more months.  They grow slowly, so be patient.  I have a jelly
palm in my yard (East coast, central Florida) and I am cross-pollenating
it with other species of palms (Syagrus schyzophylla and
S. romanzoffiana) to produce hybrids.  Good luck, and let me know how
it works!!!

---

From: [email-masked] (J Fenix)
Date: 25 May 1995 01:55:09 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (ruffel)
Date: 26 May 1995 19:14:48 GMT

>S. romanzoffiana) to produce hybrids.  Good luck, and let me know how

It's about time you used the NET!!!

Lisa :)

---

From: [email-masked] (Marco_Bleeker)
Date: Sat, 27 May 1995 03:19:52

>It's about time you used the NET!!!

The Web you mean ? Where ?

Seeing this palm-question, I have one too. What I saw look like a Palm 
seedling, but it does'nt get bigger than that. It grows in creeks in the 
rainforest in Surinam, in running water as well just near it in very wet 
moss. About a foor high, just two leaves, each one split at the top. Never 
blooming.  Almost a herb...

Anyone ?

Bye, Marco

BTW: I have a Chamaerops humilis, about a meter high. Just put it out again on 
my balcony in Amsterdam. I raised it from seed, is now 8 years old and bloomed 
for the second year (is it monoecious ? See only pollen).  Is this special ?  
I think it is ! :-)

<[email-masked]>------------<http://www.euronet.nl/users/mbleeker/>
--------------<Plants, Programs, Primitive creatures>-------------------
<Marco Bleeker>-------------------------------------<Amsterdam, Holland>