Subject: Second Electronic Glycoscience Conference: Announcement and Call for Papers

From: Iain Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 1996 13:42:22 -0800

SECOND ELECTRONIC GLYCOSCIENCE CONFERENCE
               *****************************************

   The Second Electronic Glycoscience Conference (EGC-2) will be held on 
the Internet (the Net) and World Wide Web (the Web) from Sept 9 - 20, 
1996 and will follow the same pattern as the first such conference, 
EGC-1, held in 1995.  The conference is sponsored by Chapman & Hall,
Eurocarb and Oxford Glycosystems.

   EGC-2 will be a fully international event open to all members of 
our scientific community and will cover a broad range of disciplines 
related to carbohydrate and glycoconjugate molecules including 
chemical, physical, biological and medical areas using theoretical, 
experimental and computational approaches.
     
  Conference subject areas are:  Biological Function of 
Protein-Linked Glycans; Carbohydrate Biotechnology; 
Crystallography; General Glycobiology; Glycanalysis; Glycoimmunology; 
Glycolipids; Glycomedicine; Glycosynthesis; Glycosyltransferases; 
Lectins; Mass Spectrometry; Molecular Modelling, Design & 
Informatics; NMR; Polysaccharides and Cellulose; Proteoglycans and 
Glycosaminoglycans; and Perspectives in the Glycosciences. Each 
subject area has a section convener who will screen abstracts sent by 
authors for suitability.

  Authors can opt to have their presentation in the following categories:
- non-permanent presentation like a normal conference poster
- refereed presentation which will be considered for publication as a 
Letter to the Editor in a special issue of Glycoconjugate Journal in 
1997.
- refereed presentation which will be considered for publication as a 
full 
paper in a special issue of Glycoconjugate Journal.

  Referees will be appointed by the section conveners and the reports 
will be handled via a Special Editor for Glycoconjugate Journal, in
consultation with Harry Schachter and Graham Turner, editors of 
Glycoconjugate Journal.
  
  Presentations must be prepared in Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) with 
figures in GIF, Rasmol or other Web-compatible formats so that 
participants can view the papers via the World Wide Web.  Aid and 
consultation will be provided to participants during summer 1996 to 
help them with their presentation. Further details will be given in the 
authors' guide accessible via the URL: 
http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/egc2/

  During the conference discussions will take place via the Internet 
in real-time using a virtual conference centre based on a MOO 
(multiple-user domain, object oriented) and via Internet-accessible 
electronic mailing lists. Trial sessions for those not familiar with 
MOO will be held before the conference. During the conference, a 
timetable for MOO discussion sessions of each section will be posted. 
Since these realtime discussions are an integral part of the 
conference, authors will be expected to attend one for their subject; 
the right is reserved not to referee submissions by authors who do 
not attend one of these sessions. 

  The Conference will feature a Virtual Trade Center where commercial
vendors, consultants, manufacturers, and contractors will be able to
display their goods and services in return for exhibition fees to support 
conference activities. Any potential advertisers should contact the 
conference organisers.

                    *******************

DEADLINES AND DATES               

1) DO NOW - The Glycoscience Network (TGN) mailing list

Conference-related news and announcements will be posted regularly 
to the TGN mailing list (http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/hypermail/TGN/) 
and the bionet.glycosci newsgroup (news:bionet.glycosci or 
http://www.bio.net:80/hypermail/GLYCOSCI/)

If you wish to subscribe to the TGN list send the following
one line message to [email-masked]:

subscribe [email-masked] your_email@address
your_name 

2) Registration

The deadline for registration is Sept 1 1996. Early registration is 
strongly encouraged to aid the efficient operation of the conference 
including the establishment of timely access to the conference.

If you intend to participate in EGC-2 please use the special registration 
form accessible via http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/egc2/ which will be
available for registration starting April 22.  The electronic 
registration will be used to construct a registrant database for the 
conference which will generate the conference mailing list and handle 
assignment of userids and passwords.

In addition it is necessary to pay for registration via ordinary 
means: The conference fee will be 35 pounds sterling (50 US dollars) 
with a special rate for students of 20 pounds sterling (30 US 
dollars). A copy of a suitable student identification or a letter from 
the supervisor will be required to be charged at the lower rate.

Cheques or bank orders in pounds or dollars should be made out to 
Greenlea Communications and mailed to:

Dr. Barry Hardy, Physical and Theoretical Chemistry Laboratory, 
University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3QZ, UK

Please include your full name, address, phone and fax numbers, and 
email address in your correspondence.  Your conference userid
and password will be emailed to you.

It is hoped to establish a credit card clearing service by May and 
information will be provided in due course.     

Academic registrants from economically-disadvantaged countries can 
write to Barry Hardy requesting an exemption to the registration fee. 
Exemptions will be made on a discretionary basis taking into account 
the reasons given for the request and will be dependent on suitable 
funds being available. We will consider economically disadvantaged 
countries to include those of Eastern Europe, Africa, Central and 
South America, Indian sub-continent, etc. 

3) DEADLINE for receipt of ABSTRACT.  

The deadline for receipt of presentation abstracts is June 15. Email 
your abstract directly to the appropriate section convener listed 
below. Fuller details of the scope of each section will be given in the 
authors' guide accessible via http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/egc2/

Your abstract should be no longer than 300 words. And remember to 
state which category of presentation (non-permanent, 
refereed as letter, refereed as full paper) you wish.

If you are unsure as to which section your abstract is suitable for, 
please e-mail a possible section convener or Iain Wilson 
([email-masked]). Section conveners do have the discretion to 
reject abstracts, ask for revisions to an abstract or to send the 
abstract to the convener of a more suitable section.

4) DEADLINE for receipt of PRESENTATION

The deadline for receipt of papers and posters is August 15.  You 
must deposit your text and graphics files at the conference ftp site. 

5) Refereeing Period

The refereeing period will commence upon completion of the conference.
If you have a presentation at EGC-2 you may be requested to contribute
a refereeing evaluation on another conference presentation.  Referee 
reports 
will be due November 1. After that time, conveners make overall 
recommendations to be forwarded to a Special Editor of Glycoconjugate 
Journal. Only presentations will be refereed for which one of the 
two publication categories has been requested.

                      *******************

                  SECTIONS AND SECTION CONVENERS 

(Please email section conveners with questions related to 
your particular section and presentation. Fuller details on the 
sections will be accessible via http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/egc2/)

1. Biological Function of Protein-Linked Glycans
Diana Blithe
National Institutes of Health, USA
Email: [email-masked]

2. Carbohydrate Biotechnology
Liz Hounsell
University College London, UK
Email: [email-masked]

3. General Glycobiology
Pamela Greenwell
University of Westminster, London, UK
Email: [email-masked]

4. Glycoimmunology
Roy Jefferis 
University of Birmingham, UK
Email: [email-masked]

5. Glycolipids
Cara-Lynne Schengrund
Penn State University, USA
Email: [email-masked]

6. Glycomedicine
Graham Turner
University of Newcastle, UK
Email: [email-masked]

7. Glycosyltransferases
Harry Schachter 
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
Email: [email-masked]

8. Lectins
Eric Toone
Duke University, USA
Email: [email-masked]

9. Polysaccharides and Cellulose
Angela Savage
University College, Galway, Ireland
Email: [email-masked]

10. Proteoglycans and Glycosaminoglycans
Bob Lauder 
University of Lancaster, UK
Email: [email-masked]

11. Crystallography
Bill Winter 
State University of New York, Syracuse, USA
Email: [email-masked]

12. Glycanalysis
Dave Ashford
University of York, UK
Email: [email-masked]

13. Mass Spectrometry
Vernon Reinhold
Boston University Medical School, USA
Email: [email-masked]

14. Molecular Modelling, Design and Informatics
Andrepeter Heiner 
State Research Center, Finland
Email: [email-masked]

15. NMR
Thomas Weimar     
Medizinische Universitaet zu Luebeck, Germany
Email: [email-masked]

16. Glycosynthesis
Tim Gallagher 
University of Bristol, UK
Email: [email-masked]
with
Geert-Jan Boons 
University of Birmingham, UK

17. Perspectives in the Glycosciences: past, present, future
Iain Wilson 
Universitaet fuer Bodenkultur, Wien, Austria
Email: [email-masked]
with
Kiyoshi Furukawa
Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology, Japan
Email: [email-masked]

CONFERENCE ORGANISERS 

Barry J. Hardy 
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry Lab
Oxford University, Oxford, OX1 3QZ, U.K.
Email: [email-masked]
http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/people/barry.html

Iain Wilson
Institut fuer Chemie der Universitaet fuer Bodenkultur
Gregor-Mendelstrasse 33
A-1180, Wien, Austria
Email: [email-masked]
http://www.boku.ac.at/chemie/bc1/staff/iw/iw.html

Any general e-mails (such as registration queries, maillist queries, 
HTML queries, password queries, timetable queries, general technical 
advice on browsers and graphics, MOO queries) should be sent to:
[email-masked]