Subject: HOW TO KEEP A BANANA PLANT ALIVE THROUGH WINTER.

From: [email-masked] (GKulaw)
Date: 9 Aug 1995 13:05:25 -0400

I live in N. AL. and would like to keep my banana tree outside in the
ground throughout the winter.  I have heard this is possible by cutting
the tree back to a certain height.  However, someone who tried this said
it did'nt work-their trees died.  I tried digging one up and putting it in
a pot last year but it died in the pot.  My tree has gottern very bushy
and pretty - about 5-6 feet high - and I don't want to lose it.  Any
suggestions?

---

From: [email-masked] (Photuris)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 01:55:28 GMT

>and pretty - about 5-6 feet high - and I don't want to lose it.  Any
I have had successes and failures with both techniques you describe,
in North Texas, which has similar winter temperatures.  After the
first killing frost (not light frosts) or freeze, t.ry cutting the
lant down to an inch or so above ground level,  then cover with mulch
(i use shredded oak  leaves) to a depth of four or five inches.  The
greater the area covered, and the lower the plant is cut, the less
likely the root crown of the plant will freeze and die.