Subject: Native Plants

From: [email-masked] (Michele Thomas)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 21:10:34 +0000

I recently attended a seminar titled Designed Gardens as Plant
Commmunities: Blending Design, Horticulture and Ecology.  The foucs was on
designing gardens and landscapes with native plants.  There seems to be a
movement toward using native plants and restricting invasive non-native
plants.  One question echoed by many of the attendees (landscape
architects, gardeners and designers) was where can we buy native plants;
we can't collect from the wild.  

I've been investigating native plant sources for zone 5 and have found a
couple:  Barry Glick, Sunshine Farm and Gardens in West Virginia (for more
info look at http://mirror.wwa.com/mirror/) and Neil Diboll, Prairie
Nursery in Wisconsin.

Is anyone else interested in this subject and do you know of other sources?

---

From: [email-masked] (RFegurgur)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 19:12:32 -0500

Two more sources of California Natives are:

Theodore Payne Foundation
10459 Tuxford Street
Sun Valley, CA 91352
(818) 768-1802

Las Pilitas Nursery
Las Pilitas Road
Santa Margarita, CA 93453
(805) 438-5992

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Kirby)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 15:34:07 GMT

Michele Thomas ([email-masked]) wrote:

: I've been investigating native plant sources for zone 5 and have found a
: couple:  Barry Glick, Sunshine Farm and Gardens in West Virginia (for more
: info look at http://mirror.wwa.com/mirror/) and Neil Diboll, Prairie
: Nursery in Wisconsin.

A source in California for natives (I think zones 9 and/or 10, but I'm 
not sure) is Yerba Buena Nursery in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

--
--------------------------------
Jeffrey A. Kirby -- Jester of Xanadu -- [email-masked]

I accept Brad as my superior in every way. Perhaps my mental and 
emotional state may someday improve so I may get closer to his vast 
mental prowess.

---

From: [email-masked] (RFegurgur)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 19:12:32 -0500

Las Pilitas Nursery
Las Pilitas Road

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Kirby)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 15:34:07 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Pierre A Plauzoles)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 01:52:58 GMT

>Is anyone else interested in this subject and do you know of other sources?

Ok, this is not for USDA Zone 5, but rather for California, but it might 
be of use to some who don't know about it....  The Theodore Payne 
Foundation in Sun Valley, California (eastern part of Los Angeles' San 
Fernando Valley has seeds and plants for a large selection of native 
California plants and shrubs.

:-)
-- 
Pierre Plauzoles   [email-masked]
Canoga Park, California

---

From: Susan McCarthy <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Apr 1995 23:01:56 GMT

Recently Michele Thomas ([email-masked]) asked about sources for
native plants.  We have compiled a list of sources in a publication
titled, "New World Crops and Their Uses: A guide to selected 
literature and genetic resources 1980-1993".

To obtain a copy send an e-mail message to: [email-masked].
In the message please include the title requested and your surface
mail address.

Susan McCarthy
Coordinator, Plant Genome Data and Information Center

USDA/ARS/National Agricultural Library, 4th Floor
10301 Baltimore Blvd.
Beltsville, MD 20705