Subject: Re: Hop-a-juana

From: [email-masked] (mel turner)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 01:37:10

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Hugh Macaulay) writes:
>Some time back in the mists of academic time, I came across a guy who
>grafted hops and canabis to create, as he called it, hop-a-juana. 
>As I recall, it was a sectoral chimera--gorgeous, thriving in it's
>Victoria, B.C. environment, but with none of the psychoactive benefits of
>its antecedents (which was not his aim, but not a bad idea, now that I
>think about it!). 
>Has anyone had experience with grafts of this type?
>If so, what type of chimera was formed?

If it was stable, it presumably was periclinal.  Sectorial chimeras tend to be 
unstable and form some branches that are all of one species or the other.  I 
wonder if anyone has ever tried to achieve a periclinal hops/Cannabis chimera 
with Cannabis epidermis over hops intermal tissues...  it might be a 
perennial, cannabinoid-resin-producing plant that _looks_ and grows like hops. 
 Still illegal of course, since it would contain THC.  
Anyway,  imagine the beer slogans:  "It's _not_ the water..."
mdt

---

From: [email-masked] (Hugh Macaulay)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 21:40:40 GMT

In a previous posting, mel turner ([email-masked]) writes:
>From your description, and as I recall, this was a sectoral chimera.

As for the periclinal one, I wonder if the resin-secreting organs would be
present, given that at least one cell layer from a non-secreting plant
would stand in the way.  I also wonder about flowering, as unfertilized,
flowering cannabis is the desired form (or so I'm told). 

--
Hugh Macaulay
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (mel turner)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 23:11:36

>flowering cannabis is the desired form (or so I'm told). 

I think the resin glands are epidermal structures, and their products in a 
periclinal chimera might be expected to be  those of the epidermal 
species, assuming that the resins are completely formed by  the glands that 
secrete them...  As for flowering, commercial hops are the unfertilized, 
strongly resinous/glandular, pistillate inflorescences of the female hops 
plant  (sound familiar?)

The experiment could be interesting,  but you didn't hear the idea from me, 
right?