Subject: Drought & Frost susceptability determined with electrical methods

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Metelerkamp)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 13:39:41 GMT

In a 1946 article in "Breeding and Seedgrowing" 9-10:34-42, N P Nizenjkov 
discusses the possibility of determining the frost and drought 
susceptibility of various grain crops. He used two needles of differing 
metals to measure an electromotive force which was "found to be proportional 
to the water content of the tissue."
Is this not more likely to be a function of the electrolyte concentration as 
well as the water potential within the plant?

Has any work been conducted since in this area, and if so, is this an 
established and useable principle?
If so, are there established principles and procedures 
based on this phenomenon?

Bruce Metelerkamp
[email-masked]
Institute of Commercial Forestry Research,
University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Bruce Metelerkamp           SOIL WATER RESEARCH OFFICER
Institute for Commercial Forestry Research,
University of Natal, PO Box 100281
Scottsville, KwaZulu-Natal ZA3209
Rep. of South Africa             Voice:27 331 62314
E-mail: [email-masked]       FAX:27 331 68905