Subject: Ethnobotanical Database: Newsletter #1

From: [email-masked] (Tim Johnson)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 20:37:19 -0800

OVERMIND #1 
 
HERBAGE: ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 
 
The most recent version of Herbage (version 1.1)  is a DOS program that
allows searches of a very large database of plants both commonplace and
exotic. You can search in 10 categories, including nutrition information,
native range and habitat, traditional uses as treatment for specific
illnesses, and mail-order sources. The information  focuses on the human
uses of plants that have stood the test of time. Many of the plant uses
described in the database date back thousands of years. 
 
The shareware (demo) version of the program has been posted on Simtel, and
is available from the various Simtel mirror sites around the world. One of
them is oak.oakland.edu. You can obtain it by using anonymous FTP login to
oak.oakland.edu / simtel / msdos / biology. The demo version contains
information on 262 plants. Feel free to copy and redistribute this version
of Herbage. 
 
The registered version has information on 662 plants, and is available from
Overmind Software for $15.  Overmind Software does not currently accept
credit cards, but this will are planning to add this service in the next
few months.   
 
Our address: 
 
Overmind Software 
1388 Haight St. #161 
San Francisco, CA, 94117 
USA 
 
email: [email-masked] 
 
We are accepting bids from programmers who would like to port the C source
code for Herbage to the Macintosh and UNIX environments. If you are
interested, please send a resume to one of the addresses listed above, and
include information on desired compensation. 
 
What is "Overmind"? - it is the consciousness the human species as a whole,
or something like that. There is more information about this in a book: The
Archaic Revival, by Terence McKenna (p. 159, pub: Harper, San Francisco).