Subject: Info on Arundo Donax cane

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 13:33:29 GMT

I am posting to this group in the hope of either finding information or
getting directed to information about Arundo Donax cane, which is used
to make oboe reeds. The problem that musicians face is to choose suitable
cane to make a good reed, if possible before spending the time to make a
reed. They go by feel, by color, and after gouging the cane, by twisting it
or bending it to assess its properties. There is a lack of factual
information about Arundo Donax (at least, among musicians) and the relation
between its properties and the making of a really good reed. As a physicist
and amateur oboe player, I would like be able to quantify some the properties
of Arundo Donax and, if possible, to find out what, if anything, can be
done to process it. I am looking for any information about the following
topics relating to Arundo Donax or similar vegetal varieties:

 - structure of the cane, from the bark to the inner wall;
 - evolution of the cane during aging, either with or without heating
   above ambiant temperature
 - effect on cane of soaking in water, with possibly the addition of
   chlorine or other chemicals
 - relationship between cane color and its various properties
 - means, simple or affordable to an individual if possible, of measuring
   fiber density, hardness profile, mechanical properties
 - any other information that you may find relevant.

You can respond to the group or contact me personally by E-Mail.

Jean-Marc Larsen				Tel: (514) 652-8736
Centre canadien de Fusion magnetique (CCFM)	FAX: (514) 652-8625
1804 Montee Ste-Julie
Varennes, (Quebec)J3X 1S1
Canada

e-mail: [email-masked]