Subject: Re: Actinomeris or Verbesina preferred?

From: Piers Trehane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 95 09:52:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Steve Levine" writes:

> For a long time now, I've been referring to wingstem as 
> Actinomeris alternifolia.  Now, I'm checking Hortus to see which 
> native plants are listed, and I see they are preferring the genus 
> name Verbesina.  As Hortus Third is now nearly 20 years old, I'm 
> not sure whether to change the genus name in my database or not. 
> I have Britton & Brown's and Grey's, but they are even more out 
> of date.  What is the preferred genus name now?
> 
> Steve..

Actinomeris was buried a long time ago and I don't know of any serious
proposal to resurrect it.  I suggest you use Verbesina for the foreseable
future.
-- 
________________________________________________
 Piers Trehane  -  Editor of "INDEX HORTENSIS"
 Hampreston Manor, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 7LX, UK
 [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Aug 1995 00:39:58 GMT

Steve..