Subject: Re: More on the Spider Plant

From: Richard Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Oct 1995 11:06:56 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Bethany S. Keenan,
[email-masked] writes:
>what is a good ivyish plant for a low light room?

        How about ivy?  There are about 400 named cultivars in
circulation, mostly selected forms of Hedera helix, and for the most part
they are pretty bulletproof.  Follow the same general regime as for the
spider plant:  good drainage, not too much water or fertilizer
(especially in low light).  There's a mail order supplier called Ivies of
the World, if you really want to look for a gourmet variety.  ('Green
Ripple' is possibly the best for indoor cultivation.)
        Cheers -- rg

"I realized that everything in the world was an interplay of identical
particles: the trees, the water, you. All was unified, equivalent,
divine." 
                          Nabokov, SOUNDS <1923>
                         physics imitates fiction
                     http://www.midcoast.com/~treehaus

---

From: Cpurvis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 17:30:35 -0400 (EDT)

When watering a plant, don't plant when you are going to water the 
plant.  Instead, water when it is needed.  This works for almost all (if 
not all) plants.  To determine if the plant needs watering, *feel* of the 
soil surface.  If it is dry or warm, your plant needs watering.  If it is 
moist or cool, your plant does not need watering.  This works because the 
surface of the soil dries out before the rest.  If you decide your plant 
needs water, pour it some until it runs out the bottom of the pot.  (this 
is why you need drainage holes)  When the soil dries, it  pulls away from 
the edges of the pot.  So, when some people think that they have 
"drowned" a plant because water runs right out the bottom of the pot, 
they really haven't watered it at all because the water has actually ran 
down the crack along the edge of the pot.  In a few minutes, come back 
and water again, after the soil has had time to expand and close up the 
space around the pot.  This time, water until the soil can hold no more 
water, and water pours out the bottom of the pot. (another good reason 
for drainage holes) This water running out 
of the bottom of the pot will take with it some soluble salts (SS) that 
could damage your root system if allowed to build up.  These soluble 
salts can come from fertilizer or from minerals in your water.  Also, 
when watering, try not to get the leaves of the plant wet, because this 
can promote disease.  Tepid, or room temperature water is best for 
watering plants, because the chlorophyll of some plants, such as the African 
violet [_Saintpaulia_X_ionantha_] or Gloxinia [_Sinningia_speciosa_] will 
die if the water is cold and comes into contact with the leaves.

Also, about the "ivyish" plant for low light conditions, the following 
plants may do the trick for you:

_Epipremnum aureum_			Devil's Ivy or Golden Pothos
_Ficus pumila_				Creeping Fig
_Philodendron scandens 'Oxycardium'_	Heartleaf Philodendron
_Plectranthus australis_		Swedish Ivy

I hope all of this help and that your spider plant gets "fixed."

;)

On 1 Oct 1995, Bethany S. Keenan wrote:

> 
> First of all, thanks to everyone who responded (especially the cook college 
> alum, pretty funny, I'm on Douglass). Here's what I was told and what I'm
> doing:
> 	1) Yellow or brown = too much water?
> 		Okay, I don't water it too much now
> 	2) yellow or brown = not enough water
> 		Okay I'm confused
> 	3) It will adapt to light
> 		Good... I only have one window
> 	4) It should be fertilized
> 		I'm buying some this week
> 	5) I should put drainage holes in the pot
> 		I did, it seemed to help.
> So hopefully my plant will revive itself, with your help. If you guys
> could just clear up if yellow/brown means  too much water, or too little, 
> I'd be set.
> 	Also, what is a good ivyish plant for a low light room?
> 				Thank you all so much
> 						Bethany
>

---

From: Cpurvis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 17:35:08 -0400 (EDT)

P.S.  In the first line, I meant it to say "don't plan when you water a 
plant" instead of "don't plant when you water"  Sorry!  I didn't notice 
it until the computer had started sending it!  If there are any other 
mistakes, I'm sorry!