Subject: Re: what seeds first look like--education project

From: [email-masked] (Marco_Bleeker)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 02:19:33

--Sasa--would like to know "what tree seeds
>look like at first," that is, what seeds look like at a very early stage.

  Well Sasa, I'll just try my best on this very hard question. All seeds, when 
they are ripe, are inside a fruit. Like the pits in an apple, or the 
beans in a pod. Often you can't eat the fruit, it's dry, like the little 
parachutes on a dandelion (that you can blow away), but we still call it a 
fruit, and the seed is inside it.  Where there is a fruit, there was first a 
flower. When you look at a flower carefully, you see the petals, more inside 
are the stamens, and right at the center is the young fruit. Sometimes the 
young fruit is underneith the flower, but part of it, the receptacle (pistil) 
is allmost always visible in the center of a flower. And inside this young 
fruit, are already young seeds. Very small, waiting to be fertilized...

  Bye, Marco

<[email-masked]>------------<http://www.euronet.nl/users/mbleeker/>
>-------------<Plants, Programs, Primitive creatures>------------------<
<Marco Bleeker>-------------NL-EN-DE-FR-------------<Amsterdam, Holland>

---

From: laura van dam <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Jun 1995 16:59:26 GMT

I am a parent volunteer in Massachusetts teaching five- and six-year-olds
in my son's kindergarten class about how to research on their own. As
part of the project, for which the kids have come up with questions
they'd like to answer,  I am showing them a little about how newsgroups
work on the Internet. The kids are quite excited about the idea of
connecting with others who may know some of their answers, or may be able
to tell them how to find out. If anyone can spare the time and has
information about the following question, I'd be very grateful for your
help. In particular, one child--Sasa--would like to know "what tree seeds
look like at first," that is, what seeds look like at a very early stage.
I realize that there are probably differences early on, depending on the
species; any elucidation you can give on this topic will really help, and
give Sasa a sense of how exciting it is to learn on his own.  Thank you
very much for any responses you can give. Please send mail to
[email-masked]. Laura

---

From: Nancy Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 95 21:26:24 -0500

>look like at first," that is, what seeds look like at a very early stage.
 
Sasa - many tree seeds, especially oak acorns, look like this at first:
all root!  It takes one year for some oaks to form the stem and leaves from
the seed, so there is only the root coming out at first. I have grown oaks
>from  acorns, and have seen this happen! - N.Harrison in Calif