Subject: POSTDOCTORAL POSITION IN PROTEIN BIOCHEMISTRY

From: [email-masked] (Ekramoddoullah, Abul Kalam M.)
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 16:12:46 GMT

Pending funding approval, a postdoctoral research position will shortly be
available for studies on the molecular analysis of host-pathogen interaction of
the white pine blister rust pathosystem. White pine blister rust is a disease
of five-needle pines, e.g. western and eastern white pine, sugar pine caused by
the fungus, Cronartium ribicola. The study will investigate changes in protein
profile of western white pine (with major gene resistance to the fungus)
following inoculation with the blister rust fungus (Ekramoddoullah, A.K.M. and
Hunt, R.S. 1993. Changes in protein profile of susceptible and resistant sugar
pine foliage infected with the white pine blister rust fungus Cronartium
ribicola. Can. J. Plant Pathol. 15:259-264). The ultimate objective of the
study being the identification of molecular markers that could be used in
screening seedlings for resistance. The study will also involve the
immunocytochemical (employing fungal specific monoclonal antibodies generated
in-house) analysis of host-pathogen interaction. Protein analysis will be
mainly done by two-dimensional PAGE, followed by laser based scanning
interfaced with Sun workstation and PDI software for processing 2-D gels data.
Protein data will be statistically (several statistical packages are available
with the software) evaluated to narrow down to a group of key proteins (in
particular, those proteins unique to resistance reaction) which
offer promise for partial amino acid sequencing. In addition, modulation of
some antifungal proteins such as chitinase and glucanase will also be examined.
The white pine (with MGR)-blister rust interaction offers an excellent model to
identify a resistance gene(s) and its product in a conifer.

The postion is for 2-3 years. If you feel you are qualified to take on this
challenging task, please send your CV and arrange three letters of references
to me at address below:

Abul K.M. Ekramoddoullah, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
Laboratory of Forest Biotechnology
Natural Resources Canada
Canadian Forest Service, Pacific Forestry Centre
506 West Burnside Road,
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, V8Z 1M5

Victoria is one of the best place in North America to live.

  EKRAMODDOULLAH, ABUL KALAM M.     Title: Research Scientist
  Forestry Canada                   Phone: (604) 363-0600
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]