Subject: Re: Ginseng Seed/Clone WANTED

From: [email-masked] (Lol Cooper)
Date: 20 Oct 1995 01:55:43 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:

: I'd really like to get some ginseng seeds (if not, a plant would be fine:)
: but cannot find them *anywhere*. Please email me any leads or suggestions
: you have.

: Thanks in advance,
: mw

I recall seeing an ad for ginseng seeds in the Catalog from Richters seed 
co, from Ontario.  Sorry I don,t have the address, I threw the catalog 
out some time ago.  Maybe someone else would know how to contact them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lol Cooper
Dept. of Agriculture, Food and Nutritional Sciences,	
Univ. of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta			       
Canada  T6G 2P5						
Phone (403) 922-6858  Fax (403) 492-4265			             
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L Roginsky )
Date: 20 Oct 1995 21:19:21 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Lol

>----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
  
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
>>>Gingsing grows wild in the North Carolina Mountains. Because
>>>of its commercial value, folks do not want you to know the
>>>locations. You might try someone in that area for a root or
>>>seedling..........Cheers...............MLR

From J.T. Russell  [[email-masked]] Sun Oct 22 23:03:15 EDT 1995
Article: 8571 of bionet.plants
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!news-server.ncren.net!hearst.acc.Virginia.EDU!uunet!in1.uu.net!news.sprintlink.net!gate.net!news-adm
From: J.T. Russell  [[email-masked]]
Newsgroups: bionet.plants
Subject: RE: Ziziphus jujuba
Date: 21 Oct 1995 03:42:59 GMT
Organization: CyberGate
Lines: 8
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: gnsfl-24.gate.net
X-Newsreader: SPRY News 3.03 (SPRY, Inc.)

The original posting  (by [email-masked]) was correct.  Ziziphus jujuba is the Chinese date or 
common jujube, one of the most important fruit species in China and often used as silkworm fodder.  The 
family is Rhamnaceae.  I had nine hits when I tried to look up 'ziziphus' using Lycos, but couldn't connect 
to many of the sites.  One with useful info on the family, if not the species, is

http://muse.bio.cornell.edu/delta/angio/www/rhamnace.htm

Good luck in your search.