Subject: Eucalyptus Kybeanensis?

From: [email-masked] ("Claire Watson")
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 08:11:13 GMT

I bought this gum tree recently at a local garden centre, about 15" 
tall.

>From  seed sold in UK I have raised E.Gunni, E.Niphophila (called Snow 
Gum here) and E.Perriniana (Spinning Gum) which have proved hardy here 
in N.England, but this E.Kybeanensis is a stranger to me. It has small 
lanceolate leaves with no sign of the juvenile leaves which I would 
have expected it still to have at it's young age.

My old Hilliers manual does not list it and I am wondering how hardy it 
is for UK. Any details on it's appearance/typical mature height/natural 
home/altitude would be appreciated.

Claire Watson who just loves Gum Trees.
.

---

From: Helen+Paul <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jun 1996 05:01:41 GMT

It is nice to hear that someone overseas likes our Australian Eucalypts. 
I love driving around our big country seeing all those different Eucs.

According the Flora of NSW: Eucalyptus kybeanensis (Kybean Mallee) is an 
evergreen shrub/tree, to 6m tall with "Juvenile leaves disjunct, 
lanceolate, glossy green.  Adult leaves disjunct, lanceolate...green, 
glossy or semi-glossy..." So, there wouldn't appear to be a big 
distinction between the juvenile and mature leaves.  "Locally frequent 
but restricted, in mallee shrubland on shallow sandy soil, south from 
Kybean. ST [Southern Tablelands of NSW]; [eastern] Vic".  The description 
is boringly technical and does not even state the colour of the flowers. 
 I can't find a decent map of sthn NSW, but Latitude 35-37 degrees S is 
roughly correct and altitude 500-1000 metres (?) would be the likely 
situation.  In that neck of the woods, it gets very cold in winter (below 
zero over-night). The summer are warm/very warm and dry, the winters cold 
and wet.  If a nuresery has bothered to grow that species, I think you 
are safe in trying to grow it. Perhaps protect it during winter (eg. 
plastic or shade-cloth cover) until it is 3 or 4 years old.  I hope 
this info helps, Good Luck!

Paul Kristiansen
Dept. of Natural Resources
Brisbane, Australia