Subject: Help with experimental lighting

From: [email-masked] (Krista Nelson)
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 22:37:29 -0400

I am begining an experiment in which I will need to grow fescue grass in a
closed reactor.  The literature says I will need 740 micromoles of
photosynetic light /(sec)(meter suared). I set up a bank of florescent
lights but only got a measurement of 131.  Any suggestions for other
lighting conditions? I have read about sodium vapor and monochromatic
lighting but have not found a vendor to check pricing.  I will be
measuring gas exchanges so the lights can not give off much heat. I would
appreciate any assistance.   Does anyone know a conversion from this
lighting units into photons?  Thanks

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles S Buer)
Date: 9 Jun 1996 00:56:31 -0700

Krista--

1 micromole/(meter)^2(sec) = 6.022 x 10^17 photons/(meter)^2(sec).
Moles of photons are the same as moles of chemicals.  Heating is a factor
with our fluorescent lights with incandescent additions and we are only at
90 micromoles/(m)^2(s).  Sorry, I've never used the others.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
					|
Charles S. Buer                         |E-mail:  [email-masked]
Biology/Biotechnology Dept.             |Phone:   (508) 831-5052
Worcester Polytechnic Institute         |FAX:     (508) 831-5936
100 Institute Rd.                       |http://www.wpi.edu/~buer
Worcester, MA 01609                     |
					|
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)