Subject: POSTDOCTORAL POSITION IN PROTEIN BIOCHEMISTRY

From: [email-masked] (Ekramoddoullah, Abul Kalam M.)
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 23:21:32 GMT

Pending funding approval, a postdoctoral research position will shortly be
available for studies on the molecular analysis of host-pathogen ineraction of
white pine blister rust pathosystem. White pine blister rust is a disease of
five-needle pines, e.g. western and eastern white pine, sugar pine caused by th fungus,
Cronartium ribicola. The present study will investigate changes in protein
profile of western white pine (with major gene resistance to the fungus)
following inoculation with the blister rust fungus (Ekramoddoullah and Hunt, Can. J.
Plant Pathol. 15:259-264, 1993). The study will also involve the
immunocytochemical analysis (employing fungal specific monoclonal antibodies) of
the infected foliage. Protein analysis will be done by a combination of 2-D
gels, laser based scanning interfaced with Sun workstation and PDI software for
processing 2-D gel data. Proteins unique to resistant reaction (e.g.
hypersensitive response) will be partly sequenced. In addition, modulation of
antifungal proteins such as chitinase and glucanase will also examined. The
white pine (with MGR)-blister rust interaction offers an excellent model to
identify a resistance gene and its product in a conifer.

The position is for 2-3 years. If you feel you are qualified to take on this
challenging task, please send your resume to the address below. Please arrange
three letters of reference to my attention at the address below. Victoria,
British Columbia is one of the best place in North America to live.

Abul K.M. Ekramoddoullah, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
Natural Resources Canada, Canadian Forest Service,
Pacific Forestry Centre, 506 West Burnside Road,
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, V8Z 1M5
Fax: (604)-363-0775 Internet: [email-masked]

  EKRAMODDOULLAH, ABUL KALAM M.     Title: Research Scientist
  Forestry Canada                   Phone: (604) 363-0600
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]