Subject: Skunk weed? Also: Tree of Idleness?

From: [email-masked] (Kathy Bilton)
Date: 19 May 1995 16:29:16 GMT

The headline of my local paper (Hagerstown, MD Morning Herald) proclaims 
that "Skunk Weed Sickens Youth."  The story quoted the Martinsburg, WV 
police chief as saying that this is a "trash plant that resembles 
marijuana.  It grows along the road.  It will make you intoxicated if you 
smoke it."   

I've checked all the books I have access to, including the Flora of WV, 
the Herbaceous Plants of Maryland, but can find no reference as to what 
the scientific name of this plant might be.  Anyone have any ideas as to 
what this plant might be?  

Another question of plant identity: I have long been wondering what the 
scientific name is of the tree referred to as the "Tree of Idleness" in 
the book "Bitter Lemons" by ???  The book is set in northern Cyprus - in 
the vicinity of Kyrenia.

--Kathy Bilton

Kathy Bilton   [email-masked]   http://www.fred.net/kathy/ ......O`-o.......
 <a href="http://www.fred.net/kathy/at.html">Appalachian Trail Home Page</a>

---

From: [email-masked] (Joshua Seth Layne)
Date: 20 May 1995 09:29:00 GMT

Is it possible that this 'skunk weed' is merely a strain of marijuana
which has become wild?  It is capable of this, perhaps it is just a phenotype
which is not particularly high in THC.  Just a thought, I have heard that it
will grow wild.
regards
-Joshua

---

From: [email-masked] (Jani Pohjanraito)
Date: 20 May 1995 10:23:21 GMT

Kathy Bilton ([email-masked]) wrote:
: The headline of my local paper (Hagerstown, MD Morning Herald) proclaims 
: that "Skunk Weed Sickens Youth."  The story quoted the Martinsburg, WV 
: police chief as saying that this is a "trash plant that resembles 
: marijuana.  It grows along the road.  It will make you intoxicated if you 
: smoke it."   

[rest deleted]

This 'skunk weed' is Cannabis indica (or possibly sativa, the police
neccecerely hasn't had any botany lessons =). It doesn't 'resemble marijuana'-
it is grade A marjuana with a bushy stout appearance and heavy, stony high.
Skunk is one of the nicknames for certain kind of Cannabis indica. And, as for
trash plants, Cannabis is weed by nature. And about cannabis there probably
should be lots of info in any library, for I read during history lessons
that hemp was cultivated in U.S.A. for seeds and fiber in 19th and 20th 
centuries (I live in Finland). Our teacher also told that it was illegalised
because of dishonest politicians needed a new scapegoat and Oil companies
were beginning to lose money because of it. NOT because it was a 'killer
weed with roots in hell.'  
As fo 'sickening the youth', I am (and among others many doctors, Ph. D's,
researchers, and generally anyone who has any real knowledge and guts to 
tell their opinion honestly) 100% sure that skunk is one of the safest 
stimulants for the 'Youth' to use - in comparison to any legal or illegal
substances...

---

From: [email-masked] (Joe Trybyszewski)
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 17:58:59 GMT

[email-masked] (Jani Pohjanraito) wrote:

>This 'skunk weed' is Cannabis indica (

Before this judgement is made I think it should be pointed out that
there are numerous wild plants which have been referred to as skunk
weed.  I have heard of some "weeds" other then cannibis that cause
intoxication when smoked.  Unfortunately, I don't know there identity.
It IS possible however that these plants are marijuana, I just
wouldn't be too quick to make that a positive ID.