Subject: Rooting pear tree cuttings

From: [email-masked] (wojcik)
Date: 13 Mar 1995 20:26:51 GMT

I recently got a single cutting (about 6 inches long, last year's
growth) of a pear tree that I'm anxious to root and grow.
	I know that grafting is the best way to go, but that's just not
feasible right now.
	I know how to root hardwood cuttings, but that is normally done by
taking the cuttings in Fall, keeping them moist and refrigerated during the
Winter and planting out in the Spring. Obviously, I have to bypass that 
scenario.
	What method should I use to root this cutting. It is currently sitting
in water in a cup in the refrigerator. I has been a fairly mild Winter here
in the Midwest and the cutting showed absolutely no signs of growth.
	Thanks in advance for input.

- Al Wojcik
  Ford Motor Co.

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 16 Mar 1995 10:16:32 -0600

Idon't think you can root pear cuttings, but you can try dusting the cut 
with Rootone amd planting in a good potting soil.

---

From: [email-masked] (dennis goos)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 00:34:56 -0800 (PST)

>with Rootone amd planting in a good potting soil.

Some literature suggests that recalcitrant plants are most likely to
root from the most juvenile material. Has anyone tried root cuttings
of pears? Or is it possible to encourage suckers from the roots and
stick them as softwood or semi-hardwood cuttings?(Of course,not
grafted pears!) Next best would be to try those suckers that come up
at the base of the tree(i.e. closest to the roots), would'nt it? 

Or what about tissue culture(micropropagation) and the take cuttings
from that material. 

See the latest issues of "American Nurseryman" for source of these
ideas. 

Always fun to try to solve these difficult problems of propagation!

Good Luck. 
dennis

---

From: [email-masked] (charles dunn)
Date: 16 Mar 1995 10:16:32 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (dennis goos)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 00:34:56 -0800 (PST)

Good Luck. 
dennis