Subject: Getting out the brown from DNA

From: [email-masked] (Richard Dana)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 16:56:28 GMT

I'm still having problems with the plant DNA extractions from a number of 
tissues.

Eucalyptus is not cleaning up very well.

What elese can I use to get the brown out.

Richard Dana
Project Green Gene

---

From: [email-masked] (Diana Wolf)
Date: 16 Mar 1995 19:08:51 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Richard Dana)

> What elese can I use to get the brown out.

what have you tried so far?  we generally use a couple of chloroform
extractions or eluquick (i forget what company makes the kit, but i can
find out if you don't already know) to clean up sunflower DNAs.  eluquick
if fine for PCR applications, but it may break up your dna too much for
use with RFLPs.  if you're using RFLPs, you might prefer using a Cesium
Chloride Gradient (should be described in Sambrook et al. 1989.  Molecular
Cloning 2nd ed.). In my PCRs, i can often get by without cleaning my green
dna by just reducing the amout of DNA i put into into each reaction.  you
only need a little.  
have you checked Sambrook et al. (first edition is Maniatis et al 1982)
for other ideas?

-- 
Diana Wolf
Biology Department
Indiana University

---

From: [email-masked] (David Orlovich)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 03:31:36 GMT

We have used Prep-A-Gene to clean up DNA from various Myrtaceae plants
and it works well.