Subject: Kalanchoe

From: [email-masked]
Date: 15 May 1995 05:27:51 -0700

Dear Botany people,

Can someone give me a phonetic pronounceation for Kalanchoe. I have had
a problem with this word for years.  

In this regard what is considered correct for Rhyzopus?  Ive used 
Rhize a pus.  Then Ive heard Rhize oh pus. ?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Haas

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Kirby)
Date: 15 May 1995 16:36:34 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
: Can someone give me a phonetic pronounceation for Kalanchoe. I have had
: a problem with this word for years.  

I've always understood it in English as Kuh-lan-choh (rhymes with toe). 
Classical latin is almost always different than "scientific latin" and 
would be Kuh-lahn-koh-eh. Just like Aloe is two syllables in English and 
three in latin.

: In this regard what is considered correct for Rhyzopus?  Ive used 
: Rhize a pus.  Then Ive heard Rhize oh pus. ?

I think I've heard both. I always tend towards the latter.

-J
-----------------------------                                      -----
        Jeffrey A. Kirby -- Jester of Xanadu -- [email-masked]

Serving the Bay Area for nearly 20 years.

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 1995 17:43:43 GMT

Kal en Koe' E

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 1995 17:44:28 GMT

the latter (rise OH pus)