Subject: Re: Plants vs. Predators

From: [email-masked] ("Rolston, David")
Date: 18 May 1995 23:10:29 -0700

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REPLY FROM: Rolston, David
To: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked] (Maarten van Helden)
Subject: Re: Plants vs. Predators
Date: 18 May 1995 10:03:06 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Nntp-Posting-Host: flex064.dbh.wau.nl
In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
 snip snip

>While plants don't seem to react to attack, there is evidence that if a
>single plant is damaged, either by an animal or the blow of an axe, the
>chemical balance of trees surrounding the damaged tree changes. You could
>say that they "sense" this damage and make moves to adjust their chemical
>states to the best advantage during an attack. This "sense" is probably a
>simple chemical reaction to the release of chemicals from the damaged
>tree.
>
>Hope this helps!
>
>--TCC

You also have overlooked the latest discoveries in endo and ectomycorrhizal 
networking of trees and other plants vis-a-vis fungal hyphae.  Besides 
chemicals and nutrients, electrical signals are also transmitted.  Within 
intraspecific tree stands there can also be considerable root-graphing.

Regards,

Dave R.