Subject: Graduate Assistantship

From: [email-masked] (Clifford Weil)
Date: 24 Apr 1996 21:09:17 -0700

NSF funding is available for a graduate student to join a project
looking at novel developmental regulation of Ds transposon activity in
maize.  A Ds element in the waxy (Wx) gene actively transposes during
growth of the plant and frequently excises to restore Wx gene function in
the endosperm of the kernel.  Surprisingly, these reversion events are not
reflected in gametes produced by these plants: revertant gametes are
100-fold less frequent than for alleles caused by two other Ds insertions
in precisely the same location that have the same somatic phenotype.  Data
suggest a tightly linked mutation either directly or indirectly suppresses
transposition by this Ds in the meristem of the plant, but not in
developing somatic tissue.  The mutation is not in the Ds itself and is not
in the source of transposase.
        Interested students with a strong background in genetics, molecular
biology and/or development can reply by e-mail to this address for further
information.  The stipend is $12,600 per year plus tuition, fees and
medical insurance.  The University of Idaho is located in Moscow, ID, in
the U.S. Pacific Northwest.  Moscow is a small town set in rolling wheat
fields and mountains in the picturesque Idaho panhandle, a short distance
>from  a wide variety of outdoor activities (in addition to maize field
genetics!).  I look forward to hearing from you...

Clifford Weil
Dept. of Biological Sciences
University of Idaho
Moscow, ID  83844-3051
USA
208-885-6370