Subject: Animals eating flowers off annuals!

From: [email-masked] (Carole Judd)
Date: 15 May 1995 02:28:01 -0400

Please help!  Animals (squirrels?) are eating the flowers off my
impatiens.  I am currently using a product called dry blood to handle
problem.  Is this a solution?  If not, please tell me what has worked for you.
Also, how do I keep animals from digging around my plants? 

Thanking you in advance!

Carole

---

From: [email-masked] (EJGOLD)
Date: 16 May 1995 20:10:47 -0400

=Subject: Animals eating flowers off annuals!
=From: [email-masked] (Carole Judd)
=Date: 15 May 1995 02:28:01 -0400
=Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
= Please help!  Animals (squirrels?) are eating the flowers off my
=impatiens.  I am currently using a product called dry blood to handle
=problem.  Is this a solution?  If not, please tell me what has worked for
you.
=Also, how do I keep animals from digging around my plants? 

This age-old problem is usually caused by rabbits, deer, or other
herbivores. I'm not sure I've heard of squirrels eating flowers, though. I
have heard of a MULTITUDE of remedies for this, ranging from the dried
blood you mentioned (sounds like it did'nt work) to 7' fences (not very
attractive around your entry border) to windmill type motion-and-noise
makers, to human hair, even urine (don't let your neighbors see you!). I
think the VERY BEST solution is to plant flowers that are unattractive to
most herbivores wandering around your community.

Call the U of Ohio extension service (they must have one) for a list!

Good Luck!

EJ

---

From: [email-masked] (J. Mau)
Date: 17 May 1995 14:24:09 GMT

: This age-old problem is usually caused by rabbits, deer, or other
: herbivores. I'm not sure I've heard of squirrels eating flowers, though. I

I had a battle with squirrels eating my strawberry flowers last year.  I 
eventually prevailed by suspending a plastic mesh over the plants.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Jonathan Mau          Phone  (613)990-6248
Room 40 Bldg M-55     FAX    (613)952-8246
NRC-CISTI             [email-masked]
Ottawa, Ontario       [email-masked]
K1A 0R6

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 1995 17:37:28 GMT

If the animals aren¹t too acclimated to human presence (i.e., bears, 
deer, and maybe your squirrels -- don¹t feed them!!!) they can be 
effectively repelled with Human Hair. Garlic grown among the plants also 
helps, as does fishing line -- virtually invisible when strung on stakes 
across the edge of the plants. When the animal's foot touches the line, 
they freak. This works for birds if simply hung from trees. (old disney 
trick to keep bird poo off of the rental cars).