Subject: Culture of Indigo (Indigofera sp.)

From: [email-masked] (WBLanier)
Date: 27 Aug 1995 22:58:02 -0400

I am interested in information and references about the culture of
Indigofera suffruticosa and other species of Indigo.

Specifically:
(1) General techniques to enhance germination;
(2) Pathogens which attack Indigofera sp.;
(3) Assays for indoxyl or other indigo precursors;
(4) The physiology of indigo biosynthesis;
(5) Harvest techniques of Indigofera sp.;
(6) Techniques for indigo extraction and purification; and,
(7) Crossing of different "species" of Indigofera.

So far, digging through biological and agricultural abstracts has not been
very helpful.  Likely this is because large-scale culture of I.
suffruticosa for indigo production has not been common for around a
century.

If you have any information, I would greatly appreciate a reply by e-mail
or news.

Wayne Lanier, PhD