Subject: drosera ?'s

From: [email-masked] (Donald C. Hunter)
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 02:19:57 -0600

hi.  does anyone have any general tips for germinating Drosera Rotundifolia 
seeds?  i harvested some from terrarium grown plants in fall 1994.  for how 
long are they viable?  is  temperature of the soil super-important?  if so, 
what range?  do they need light to germinate?  can the soil be too moist?  how 
long might germination take?  can i use straight peat or do they need a 
mixture of soils?

thanks for any input
post here or email:  [email-masked]

Craig and/or Jenny

Give us a week,
    we'll take off the weight

---

From: [email-masked] (Sean Barry)
Date: 12 May 1996 08:30:33 GMT

Sprinkle the seeds on the substratum and watch 'em grow.  The
generally-accepted carnivorous plant substratum (for most sundews,
anyway), is 50:50 sphagnum peat and horticultural sand, although pure
sphagnum peat also works, as does live sphagnum moss, clean sand, and even
perlite/vermiculite.  All must be very moist for these plants and seeds to
survive/germinate and grow--use distilled or rainwater.  Most carnivorous
plant enthusiasts keep potted plants (in plastic pots almost exclusively)
in a tray or bowl of distilled water to keep local humidity high and
ensure that the substatum never dries.  I don't know if light is necessary
for germination, but very bright light (usually direct sunlight at least 4
hrs/day) is necessary for the plants to live and grow.  I'm not sure of
the warmth requirements per se, but in my experience the seeds germinate 
sooner swhen the substratum is kept warm and when the temperature stays 
relatively constant.  In nature these seeds generally germinate in the
spring, so time your planting accordingly, keep the seed bed warm (70-75
F) if possible, expose to the sun as discussed, and make sure that the
substratum stays very moist.  Your new plants should flower within the
first year.  In general, D. rotundifolia is pretty easy to germinate and
grow, although D. capensis from South Africa is even easier, virtually a
carnivorous weed. 

Sean Barry

---

From: [email-masked] (ANNE KNOX)
Date: 13 May 1996 15:05:33 -0700

Hi, I'm helping out some folks at Monsanto (makers of Rodeo) track down 
research done on Tamarix species.  Specifically, they are wondering if 
any work has been done regarding the make-up of the salt crystals that 
Tamarix produces.  If these salt crystals are cationic, they could be 
interacting with the herbicide in a de-activating manner.  Does anyone 
know of research in this area?  Any leads will be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Anne Knox
  Bureau of Land Management