Subject: Help please - plant identification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 May 95 16:52:10 -0500

Could anyone help me identify this plant please?
It was found growing in the UK this May on a building site.
Stem - similar to flag iris.
Leaves - coming from the stem, similar to iris but finer.
Flower stalks coming from the leaf axils.
Flowers - blueish, 18-20 petals, daisy-like, about2.5 inches across.
          brownish centre with gold-tipped stamens.
Root - white carrot-shaped.
Height of plant above ground - about 30 inches.
 
Thanks a lot - Andy Meek, Derby, England

---

From: [email-masked] (Marco_Bleeker)
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 00:11:33

>Height of plant above ground - about 30 inches.

  I think you found Tragopogon porrifolius, the Dutch name translated: Purple 
Morningstar.  It is on the red list in Holland. Formerly cultivated for the 
edible root, but now rare. It comes from the Mediterranean (circum-Medit), 
where it is quite common I believe (but am not sure).

  Anyway, beautiful plants, the flowers as well as the fruits later.

Bye, Marco

<[email-masked]>------------<http://www.euronet.nl/users/mbleeker/>
--------------<Plants, Programs, Primitive creatures>-------------------
<Marco Bleeker>-------------------------------------<Amsterdam, Holland>