Subject: Re: Mountain Misery, aka "kitkadizzy"

From: [email-masked] ("Roger Whitehead")
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 21:31:29 GMT

<< Mountain Misery, aka "kitkadizzy >>

I'd be interested to know how it got those fascinating names.

Roger

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Roger Whitehead,
14 Amy Road, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0PX, England
Tel: +44 (0)1883 713074; Fax: +44 (0)1883 716793
.

---

From: [email-masked] (Al Stangenberger)
Date: 10 May 1996 15:42:42 GMT

Roger Whitehead ([email-masked]) wrote:
: << Mountain Misery, aka "kitkadizzy >>

: I'd be interested to know how it got those fascinating names.

The gummy exudate from the leaves gets on your clothes.  After a week of
cruising timber in it, the legs of my pants were like cardboard.  Maybe
that's why it's called Mountain Misery.

--
Al Stangenberger                      Univ. of California at Berkeley
[email-masked]            Dept. of Env. Sci., Policy, & Mgt.
BITNET: FORAGS AT UCBNATUR            145 Mulford Hall # 3114
(510) 642-4424  FAX: (510) 643-5438   Berkeley, CA  94720-3114

---

From: [email-masked] ("Roger Whitehead")
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 12:29:27 GMT

<< The gummy exudate from the leaves gets on your clothes.  After a week 
of cruising timber in it, the legs of my pants were like cardboard.  
Maybe that's why it's called Mountain Misery. >>

Certainly sounds plausible, and unpleasant!  8-)

Thanks,

Roger

PS What's "cruising timber"?

Roger Whitehead,

---

From: [email-masked] (ProfFax)
Date: 18 May 1996 10:15:46 -0400

I've heard tell, that it was the sheep herders that used mountain pastures
during the summer that gave it that name. The oils ruined the coats of
their sheep.

By the way, I can vouch that this hardy plant is still going strong in the
environs of Yosemite National Park.

Jeff Lahr
Seasonal Naturalist, Yosemite National Park