Subject: Wisteria

From: [email-masked] (Chammie)
Date: 19 Sep 1995 19:14:46 -0400

Does anyboby know how to germinate wisteria? I've had success with many
other things but this one seems to elude me...Many thanks Joe

---

From: "John E. Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 20:48:50 -0500

> other things but this one seems to elude me...Many thanks Joe

Check out Michael Dirr and Charles Herser's book The Reference Manual of 
Woody Plant Progagation--From Seed to Tissue Culture.  They suggest that 
you collect the seed and store under dry refrigeration and provide a 24 
hour water soak prior to planting.

He also states "Seeds germinate readily without treatment.  If the seeds 
are dry, a 24 hour soak in warm water is recommended."

They also state that you should not plant too deeply as this can cause 
the seeds to rot.

Plants for resale should not be started from seed because of variability 
of plants and the fact that seedlings are slow to begin flowering.  They 
suggest that you use seedlings as understock for grafting.

Hope this helps.

           JOHN E. DAVIS, Extension Horticulture Specialist 
MSU Coastal R&E Center, 2710 Beach Blvd., Suite 1-E, Biloxi, MS 39531
           Phone: (601) 388-4710        FAX: (601) 388-1375
    [email-masked]         or        [email-masked]