Subject: Mangrove Tree

From: "Stephen J. Couto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 14:06:03 -0400

Why do Mangrove Trees grow in salt water swamps in the southern states?  Or let me put 
this another way, why don't we have Mangrove Trees up growing in salt water up north?

Thanks Steve

---

From: [email-masked] ("David R. Hershey")
Date: 8 Jun 1996 12:25:01 -0700

Mangrove trees (Rhizophora mangle, Avicennia germinans, etc.) do not grow
in the northern United States because they are of tropical origin and lack
cold hardiness.  However, quite a few trees native to the southern U.S.
are cold hardy far north of their natural range, such as bald cypress
(Taxodium distichum), which is native only as far north as central
Maryland and southern Illinois but is hardy in New York and southern
Canada. 

******************************************************************
David R. Hershey
					
Snail mail: 6700 Belcrest Road #112, Hyattsville, MD 20782-1340

Adjunct Professor, Biology/Horticulture Department
Prince George's Community College, Largo, MD 20772-2199

Email: [email-masked]
*******************************************************************