Subject: Transgenic Plant Meeting

From: [email-masked] ("C. S. Prakash")
Date: 28 Jan 1996 17:38:27 -0800

Workshop on Transgenic Plants: Biology and Applications
      __________________________________________________________
                        April 20-22, 1996
                      Kellogg Conference Center
                        Tuskegee University

 I invite you to attend our Workshop on Transgenic Plants:  Please pass
this information to others through any means possible such as "redirecting"
to your favorite newsgroups, colleagues and students and posting on notice
boards.

        Tuskegee University, Alabama, USA will be hosting a workshop
(supported by NSF and USDA) on transgenic plants  during April 20-22, 1996.
More than 25  eminent scientists will be presenting lectures on the
current status of research on transgenic plants including  fundamental
biology, techniques, crop improvement, commercial applications, ethical
issues  and socio-economic considerations.  There also will be two panel
discussions: (1) funding opportunities; and (2) strategies for enhancing
minority participation in plant molecular biology research.  Additional
attractions include Demonstration of the Plant Genome Database, 'How
Internet Can Enhance Your Research Productivity', Commercial Exhibits from
Biotechnology Companies, Representatives from Various Ph. D. Programs
around the Country with Information on Graduate Assistantships, and a Tour
of the Plant Molecular Genetics Laboratory at Tuskegee University.   A
limited travel funding is available for underrepresented minority
undergraduate and graduate students from U. S. who can present posters from
their research at the workshop.  Please contact Dr. C. S. Prakash
immediately for information on this funding.

                Workshop on Transgenic Plants: Biology and Applications
               __________________________________________________________

                           Schedule of the Workshop

                            Saturday April 20, 1996

7 PM:  Reception/Cocktail

Registration

                             Sunday, April 21, 1996
8 AM:                        Plenary Lecture
Ganesh Kishore, Monsanto Co.
         "Crop Improvement Via Biotechnology"

Eugene Nester, University of Washington
         "Agrobacterium Biology"
Roger Beachy, Scripps Research Institute
        "Genetic Engineering of Virus Resistance in Plants"
Trevor Thorpe, University of Alberta
        "Somatic Embryogenesis"
Maureen Hanson, Cornell University
       "Transgenic  Plants and Developmental Biology"
Fred Perlak, Monsanto
        "Engineering Insect Resistance in Plants"
G. Kakefuda, American Cyanamid
        "Designing Herbicide Tolerance in Plants"
Virginia Walbot, Stanford University
        "Transposable Elements"
Hans Bohnnert, University of Arizona
        "Transgenic Plants and Abiotic Stress"
Brian Larkins, University of Arizona
        "Enhancing Protein Quality in Crops"
Susan Wessler, University of Georgia
        "Transposable Elements Can Be Our Friends"
Chris Somerville, Carnegie Institute of Washington, Stanford U
        "Biodegradable Plastics from Transgenic Plants"

                        Banquet Lecture
Charles Arntzen, Boyce Thompson Plant Research Institute
        "Transgenic Plants Producing Edible Vaccines"

                        Monday, April 22, 1996

K. V. Raman, ISAAA, Cornell University
        "International Applications of Transgenic Plants"
Rob Fincher, Pioneer Hi-Bred International
        "Commercial Applications of Transgenic Plants "
Fred Buttell, University of Wisconsin, Madison
        " Socioeconomic  Aspects of Transgenic Plants"
Paul Thompson, Texas A& M University
        "Ethical Considerations in Transgenic Plant Research"
Terry Medley, USDA/APHIS
        "Regulatory Issues for Field and Public Release of Transgenic Plants"

Panel Discussion 1:  "Enhancing Minority Participation in Transgenic Plant
Research and Education"
        Frank Greene, USDA/ARS
        Walter Hill, Tuskegee University
        Terry Medley, USDA/APHIS
       Jerome Roberts, Alabama A & M University

Panel Discussion 2: "Funding Opportunities for Research on Transgenic Plants"
        Program Managers from USDA, NSF, DOE and NASA

The workshop will conclude at 5 PM on Monday, April 22.

(note:  all the above speakers are confirmed.  Some lecture titles are
tentative and subject to change)

Additional Speakers to be confirmed
        Pamela Ronald- University of California, Davis
        Tim Conner, Monsanto Co.
        Robert Jones, University of Minnesota
        Maria Ragland, Research Genetics, Inc.
        Elloy Rodriguez, Cornell University

Location of the Meeting:   The venue is The Kellogg Executive Conference
Center, Tuskegee University, Old Montgomery Road, Tuskegee, AL 36088, USA.
It is a new and very modern conference facility with 180 luxury rooms.
Contact the Center directly to reserve your room soon.  Toll Free#:
1-800-949-6161 (334-727-3000; Fax 334-727-5119). Room rates are $70 Single
and $80 Double.  Credit Cards Accepted.  Reduced rates available for U. S.
Government Employees.  Information on less expensive but farther hotels
(for those with own transportation) is available from  Dr. Prakash.

Registration:  Subsidized Conference Registration is $100 and includes
admittance to all sessions, cocktail, meals (continental breakfast and
luncheon on Sunday and Monday; banquet on Sunday, coffee and snacks during
breaks) and the abstract book. You can pay on site but you must have
confirmed registration (see form below).

Getting There:  Special discounted air travel rates are available.  Please
contact Meeting Management Services at 1-800-821-8751.   Atlanta Airport is
located about 120 miles (about 2 hours drive) from Tuskegee and has
excellent flight connections.  Montgomery (Ala.) is about 40 minutes drive.
Shuttle service from the airport is available; Call the conference center
or call Dixie Excursions at 334-887-6294.  Car rental is an attractive
option as it provides greater flexibility and costs are comparable to the
shuttle.

Weather: We will order some good sunny weather for you.  You may expect
60-75°F (15-22°C) during April in Tuskegee.

Those interested in attending the workshop, please complete the following
form with your name, address, email, fax and phone numbers   and forward
to:

Dr. C. S. Prakash
"Workshop on Transgenic Plants"
School of Agriculture and Home Economics
Milbank Hall, Tuskegee University
Tuskegee, AL 36088-1641. USA

Email: [email-masked]
Phone (334) 727 8023
Fax  (334) 727 8552

Remember pre-registration is necessary!  You may  pay  $100 registration on
site (credit card, cash or check).

Clip and forward to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:

Title:

Address:

Email:

Phone:

Fax Number:

Any dietary or other restrictions...............................

I am interested in presenting a poster :
------------Yes           ---------------No
(For minority student travel grant consideration, include
an abstract and a statement of research interests)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
C. S. Prakash                Phone     (334) 727 8023
Tuskegee University          Fax       (334) 727 8552
School of Agriculture        Email:    [email-masked]
Tuskegee, AL 36088. USA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------