Subject: Gloxinia's

From: [email-masked] (Jim Parsons)
Date: 10 Mar 1995 04:37:18 GMT

Hello! I hope this is the proper place for this question...
I have three gloxinia bulbs that are at least 8 years old. I started
them from seed but after they germinated, my (soon-to-be-ex) wife cared
for them through many growing seasons. I know that gloxinia's need a bit of
rest once or twice a year, and when they began looking a little pekid about
45 days ago, I pulled what remained of the leaves off of them, unearthed the 
bulbs, and then hung the bulbs in a mesh bag in a dark part of the garage.
My questions (if you please...) are this:
	1) Have my actions thus far been correct?
	2) Do I need to do anything special when I repot them?
	3) It IS time to repot them, isn't it? Have the rested long enough?

Thanks very much,
James Parsons
Research scientist
Institute for Simulation and Training
University of Central Florida

---

From: [email-masked] (wojcik)
Date: 13 Mar 1995 16:51:22 GMT

Jim Parsons ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hello! I hope this is the proper place for this question...
: I have three gloxinia bulbs that are at least 8 years old. I started
: them from seed but after they germinated, my (soon-to-be-ex) wife cared
: for them through many growing seasons. I know that gloxinia's need a bit of
: rest once or twice a year, and when they began looking a little pekid about
: 45 days ago, I pulled what remained of the leaves off of them, unearthed the 
: bulbs, and then hung the bulbs in a mesh bag in a dark part of the garage.
: My questions (if you please...) are this:
: 	1) Have my actions thus far been correct?
: 	2) Do I need to do anything special when I repot them?
: 	3) It IS time to repot them, isn't it? Have the rested long enough?

: Thanks very much,
: James Parsons
: Research scientist
: Institute for Simulation and Training
: University of Central Florida

1) Yes, for the most part. I usually just pull the dying foliage off and
   leave the tuber in the pot. But if you're short on space, digging up the
   tuber is one alternative.
2) No. Nothing special when repotting. Just be sure you have the correct side
   of the tuber pointing up. 
3) Keep a close eye on the tubers. When you start to see signs of new growth,
   pot them up. I like to use a 3-4 inch pot. Nothing larger, since they don't
   need a lot of root room. Rest periods can vary quite a bit. Let the tubers
   tell you when to repot. Keep an eye out for new growth, also known as
   "mouse ears". When the tuber send up this new, tiny growth, pot up 
   immediately and keep evenly moist under good light, NOT direct sunlight.

	Let me know if you need more details. Good luck.
	BTW, for the botanists and taxonomists in the group, the correct name
   for Gloxinias is actually "Sinningia". They are a member of the Gesneriad
   family, which includes the best-known member, the African Violet.

- Al Wojcik

---

From: Mari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 20:16:40 EST

I have never grown Gloxinias, which are apparently of the genus Sinningia.
According to Hortus 3rd many genera of the Gesneriaceae family undergo a dor-
mant period in late autumn. They may then be dried of and stored until they
show signs of regrowth in the spring. A general book on houseplants gives simi-
lar advice, although they suggest allowing the tubers to dry in the pot after
removing the leaves; then lift the tubers in the spring and remove old roots,
leaving only one or two shoots attached. Repot the tubers just below the sur-
face of the soil, water a little and start into new growth at 64-68 F.

---

From: Mari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 20:16:40 EST