Subject: Help with 'Gray' Santolina chamaecyparissus Please

From: [email-masked] (Louise Robinson)
Date: 9 Apr 1995 21:04:11 GMT

My dad purchased this 'perennial herb' at a plant show on the USF campus. 
He was told it was an insect repellent herb. He's almost 80 years old and 
loves to grow herbs. (He does rather well, too) But he didn't think to 
ask how to care for this 'Gray' herb. 

Does anyone know what kind of soil it likes? How much water? Is the 
entire plant insect repellent, or is it only a part of it? In other 
words, if it is an herb, how is it used?

I've tried looking it up in our herb books to no avail.

ANY HELP WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED! Thank you for reading my post!

---

From: [email-masked] (Arlene Gaudet)
Date: 11 Apr 1995 05:37:03 -0700

Hi Louise,
According to my sources, this plant likes full sun and well-drained soil.
It may not be completely hardy in northern climates, so it should be 
mulched in winter.  Also sprigs can be rooted in moist soil.  Hope this
helps.
Arlene Gaudet

On 9 Apr 1995, Louise Robinson wrote:

> Date: 9 Apr 1995 21:04:11 GMT
> From: Louise Robinson <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Help with 'Gray' Santolina chamaecyparissus Please
>