Subject: Shredded plywood as mulch?

From: [email-masked] (Alfred Falk)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 96 18:18:53 GMT

Does anyone have any information on use of shredded plywood as mulch for
newly planted trees?
A local nurseryman likes to use it because he gets it free and it's clean
with respect to insects, bacteria, etc.  However, for projects on city
property, the city requires shredded tree bits, and won't approve the
shredded plywood unless someone can show them evidence that it's safe.

The issue, I think, would come down to the phenolic resin which holds the
plywood together.  I understand this is nasty stuff to ingest or inhale, but
that's not too relevant.  Does it pose an environmental hazard, or does it
break down quickly into something benign?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred Falk                       [email-masked]              A L B E R T A
Information Systems Dept          (403) 450-5185            R E S E A R C H
Box 8330, Station F                                           C O U N C I L
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
T6H 5X2
http://saturn.arc.ab.ca/~falk/                     http://www.arc.ab.ca/