Subject: aloe vera

From: [email-masked] (pemlib)
Date: 20 Jul 1995 16:17:20 GMT

I was wondering if anyone could supply me with a good source of 
information regarding the plant aloe vera.  Thank you.

---

From: [email-masked] (Susan Patrick )
Date: 27 Jul 1995 02:05:35 GMT

>information regarding the plant aloe vera.  Thank you.
I have a lot of information to share about aloe. Here is some
information about evaluating aloe products.

"For decades, consumers (and regulatory agencies have sought a
legitimate means to evaluating aloe vera products. The issue was how
the aloe contained in these products measured up to the historically
known value of the aloe vera plant. The challenge in the comparison
process was in identifying the particular component in the aloe vera
plant that provided its unique benefits.
This remained a mystery until the mid-1980's, when scientists at
Carrington Laboratories isolated a uniquely structured mucilaginous
(muco) polysaccharide, called a polymannnan.
Over a 10-year period, an excess of $20 million was invested in
scientific research to validate the effectiveness of this this
biologically active component. Researchers also discovered that this
remarkable substance was almost immediately destroyed by enzyme
activity once the aloe leaf was harvested. Carrington scientists
patented the process for deactivating this enzyme and stabilizing the
polymannan.  Evidence of this stabilized molecule, therefore, has
become the means in which to compare aloe products to the plant.
Some manufacturers, however, have added non-aloe polysaccharides to
their products in order to claim high levels of muco polysaccarides.
These are not polymannans and therefore can't achieve the results
consistent with those of fresh aloe vera gel.
A testing method called High Pressure Liquid Chromatograpy (HPLC) was
later developed to verify the presence of aloe polymannans. This test
exposes "imposter" products who have little or none of the functional
component of aloe vera. Consumers should demand a HPLC evaluation on
any aloe products to determine the aloe mucilaginous polysaccharide
content level.
As the tests show, Manapol compares closely to fresh aloe."
Excerpt from 'Emprise International Company Information Booklet'.

I also have some technical information that I can provide. Please email
name and address and I will snail mail a RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT packet.

If you would like more information on Manapol, please email and
indicate in the subject line. 

Susan

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L Roginsky )
Date: 2 Aug 1995 21:07:35 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (pemlib) writes: 
>>>>Aloe vera is useful in treating burns of all kinds. Keep a plant
around the house and rub the juices from a freshly cut limb on a
burn...and watch it go awawy!

[email-masked]