Subject: Re: Eucalyptus outside Australia ??

From: [email-masked] (Donald Martinich)
Date: 12 Mar 1995 06:56:08 GMT

Owen Foley ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I am researching the ecological impacts of Eucalyptus outside 
: Australia. Has anyone got articles or anecdotal information about the 
: impacts of Eucalyptus on native flora and fauna. I also am interested in 
: which species and what numbers are grown. 

: The kind of things that  interest me include:
: Which species of  Eucalyptus have become naturalised ?
: What birds feed at  Eucalyptus flowers ?
: What birds nest in  Eucalyptus trees ?
: What insects feed on the foliage ?
: etc.  etc.

If one didn't know, it would appear that Eucalyptus was a native California
plant. In fact, it has been very widely planted as an ornamental and 
timber/pulp plant. The most ubiquitous sp. is globulus, but many spp. are
available as ornamentals.  I have no hard information on naturalization,
but, my feeling is that the vast majority have been planted.  Many groves
are quite old and may replenish themselves, but seldom spread.  Two impacts
come to mind: Eucalyptus honey is widely available and I believe that the
fuel potential of E. globulus was a major factor in the devastation of
the Oakland Hills fire of a couple of years ago.  Good luck- D.M.

---

From: [email-masked] (NicksTimon)
Date: 10 Mar 1995 21:17:34 -0500

Yes, I live in Orlando, Florida and I have several Eucalyptus citriodora
on the property and they are beautiful! They are pollinated primarily by
bees and wasps but I'm sure the hummingbirds have visited... I even have
the first seedlings growing. Most birds don't nest in them because of the
wind movement but the trees are only 5 years old and are approx. 30 ft.
tall.
I am trying to grow from seed, the red-flowered gums and the tall blue
gums and red river gums.
Hope this helps!
[email-masked]
Could you please forward any info on Eucalyptus culture to me or provde
info as to where I can write?
Thank you