Subject: Kiwi

From: [email-masked](Bill Conrad)
Date: 14 May 1996 08:37:00 GMT

we have two Kiwi plants (A male and a female) and they are not
producing any fruit.  The plants are growing well which would seem to
indicate that they are happy.  Is there some trick as to get them to
flower and them product fruit?  I have consulted several books on
Kiwi’s and they are of no help.  Thanks!!!!!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 May 96 06:08:07 GMT

> Kiwi’s and they are of no help.  Thanks!!!!!

    Your plants are probably not getting the correct cues to start fruiting.
Check, for instance, what is the temperature needed compared to what temprature 
they are in right now: most of the time the plants need to be 'cooled down' 
before they will start a fruiting cycle.  Also the amount of light, natural or 
grow light needs to be adjusted to fit a fruiting cycle.
----
Chad

---

From: [email-masked] (Sean Barry)
Date: 16 May 1996 15:38:48 GMT

Bill Conrad ([email-masked]) wrote:
: 	we have two Kiwi plants (A male and a female) and they are not
: producing any fruit.  The plants are growing well which would seem to
: indicate that they are happy.  Is there some trick as to get them to
: flower and them product fruit?

How old are the plants?  Ours did not start producing until they were at 
least four years old (i.e., three years after we planted them from 
bareroot) and they did not produce substantially for another year after 
that.  Ours are in the central valley of California, about 40 miles south 
of the southernmost major commercial plantings.  Winters are very mild, 
frosts very sporadic (maybe 4-5 very short-lived frosts per winter), but 
clearly enough chilling for all sorts of fruit.

Sean Barry