Subject: BEN # 140

From: [email-masked] (Adolf Ceska)
Date: 29 Jul 1996 02:24:45 -0700

BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N            ISSN 1188-603X
BB   B   EE       NNN  N             
BBBBB    EEEEE    NN N N             BOTANICAL
BB   B   EE       NN  NN             ELECTRONIC
BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             NEWS

No. 140                              July 29, 1996

[email-masked]        Victoria, B.C.
-----------------------------------------------------------
 Dr. A. Ceska, P.O.Box 8546, Victoria, B.C. Canada V8W 3S2
-----------------------------------------------------------

VOUCHER SPECIMENS - FROM THE DISCUSSION ON TAXACOM [BEN # 131]

From: John Nelson <[email-masked]>

Steve Boyd (RSA) wrote:

"Here  at Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden Herbarium we are often
hitting the graduate students with the phrase 'NO VOUCHER  -  NO
DATA'.  I  first  heard Brian Boom utter these words at the BRIT
symposium several years ago and it really hit home. I hope  that
if our grad students hear these sacred words enough, the concept
will  sink in and they will become advocates of collections when
they move on in their careers."

To further this thread, I'm pleased to say  that  the  Editorial
Committee  of  CASTANEA  has adopted a policy of strongly recom-
mending that any manuscripts submitted for publication,  whether
floristic  or  not,  involve  serious vouchering of all material
involved. This will soon be a written policy.

VIRTUAL HERBARIUM PROPOSAL REJECTED [BEN # 134]
From: Mary Barkworth <[email-masked]> originally on
     <[email-masked]>

Not altogether unexpectedly, the proposal that Stephen Clyde and
I submitted to NSF  for  initiating  development  of  a  Virtual
Herbarium  was  rejected.  We have not yet been sent the reasons
why, but we would like starting  on  a  new  proposal,  possibly
heading  to  another  branch of NSF or another source of funding
altogether, but do so in the manner we wish to continue -  as  a
collaborative  project  involving  several  different  herbaria.
Because it really helps to be able to meet and  talk  with  col-
laborators,  we are suggesting a Northwestern focus (Logan is in
the northern portion of Utah). Both Steve and I will be present-
ing papers on the concept at AIBS this year - they are scheduled
for Tuesday, 8.45 and 9 a.m, respectively in ,  Kane  Hall  210,
and  the  AIBS  has  also  set  aside a room - HUB 20.4N - for a
meeting that afternoon for anyone  interested  in  pursuing  the
idea.  We  would  particularly  like  to  meet  with people from
northwestern herbaria, but the meeting is open to anyone. As you
may gather, we think the idea is really worth pursuing.  I  hope
that  we  will  have  the reviewers' comments in hand before the
AIBS meetings so that we know what issues have to be addressed -
but in any case, we want to meet.

TABLES OF CONTENTS FOR ELSEVIER JOURNALS
From: "(Ed Rykiel)" <[email-masked]>
  originally posted on ECOLOG-L <[email-masked]>

Tables of Contents for Elsevier journals can be found at

   http://www.elsevier.nl/cas/estoc/Menu.html

The list includes Ecological  Modelling,  Ecological  Economics,
Ecological  Engineering,  and  Trends  in  Ecology and Evolution
among many others.

NEW LICHENOLOGICAL KEYS FOR THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST
From: Toby Spribille
  </S=T.SPRIBILLE/OU1=[email-masked]>

McCune, B. & Trevor Goward 1995. Macrolichens  of  the  Northern
   Rocky  Mountains.  Mad  River  Press, Inc. v + 208 p. ISBN 0-
   916422-82-8 [soft cover] Price US$24.95

This is a welcome addition to lichenological literature  in  the
interior  Pacific  Northwest.  Here we have a set of very usable
keys which take in all of the non-crustose lichen species  found
in  the interior Columbia River basin. The authors avoided crus-
tose species but include those species  which  have  foliose  or
squamulose  margins.  Our  experience  with the book in a lichen
workshop this spring is that it is a very helpful and  indispen-
sable  reference which will fill a void in the libraries of many
naturalists.

The format of the book  is  reminiscent  of  Poelt's  monumental
Bestimmungsschlussel europaischer Flechten, in that the emphasis
in  on providing keys and not extensive remarks on each species'
ecology and distribution. Most of the taxonomy  is  very  up-to-
date.  The  keys  to  several  genera are original and much more
useful than those which have been available to date.  An  excel-
lent  introduction  explains lichen structure and biology, their
chemistry, ecology, and  their  relation  to  other  cryptogams.
Illustrations  of  important  characters are sprinkled liberally
throughout and are conveniently located along side the keys.

Lichenologists who were wearied by the proliferation  of  (often
`cute')  common  names  in  the  authors'  1995 work (Lichens of
British Columbia, Part 1) will be pleased  to  see  that  not  a
single common name is provided.

HIKING THE ANCIENT FORESTS OF BRITISH COLUMBIA AND WASHINGTON

Stoltmann, R. 1996. Hiking the ancient forests of British Colum-
   bia  and  Washington.  Lone  Pine Publishing, Edmonton - Van-
   couver. 191 p. ISBN 1-55105-045-5 [soft cover] Price US$15.95
   (CND$19.95)

Author Randy  Stoltmann  died  in  the  mountaineering  accident
shortly after the completion of the manuscript of this book [BEN
#  76].  The  book describes thirty hikes through the old growth
forests of British Columbia (Lower Mainland  and  Vancouver  Is-
land)  and  Northwest Washington (North Cascades, Mount Rainier,
and Olympic Peninsula).  The  hikes  range  from  short,  easily
accessible  walks and dayhikes to overnight backpacking trips in
remote wilderness areas.  Detailed  trail  descriptions  include
record  trees,  status  of trails, photos and maps, and notes on
nature and forest ecology.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Submissions, subscriptions, etc.:  [email-masked]
BEN is archived on gopher freenet.victoria.bc.ca. The URL is:
gopher://freenet.victoria.bc.ca:70/11/environment/Botany/ben
Also archived at   http://www.ou.edu/cas/botany-micro/ben/
________________________________________________________________