Subject: HELP! QUESTION ON BOTANY

From: [email-masked] (GIDEON BAKER)
Date: 15 May 1995 09:36:41 GMT

I am new to botany and would
 appreciate some information on the following:
What type of compounds do plants produce?

I understand there are literally thousands
of different types. Can these compounds be generally
categorised ? eg proteins...etc

I hope somebody can help.

Gideon............

---

From: [email-masked] (Rafael Araujo)
Date: 15 May 1995 15:21:50 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> I hope somebody can help.

yes indeed they produce thousands of compunds, and yes thay can be
categorized as you would do with any othar major biological group:
carbohidrates, fats, proteins, nucleic acids, hormones, etc. Check a
general botany book from your library or even a general biology text book
will give you an idea. For more specialized info search under plants and
natural (chemical) products.. good look in your quest

---

From: [email-masked] (Marco_Bleeker)
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 01:48:00

> Check a
>will give you an idea

Or post more specific question here !

Bye, Marco

<[email-masked]>------------<http://www.euronet.nl/users/mbleeker/>
--------------<Plants, Programs, Primitive creatures>-------------------
<Marco Bleeker>-------------------------------------<Amsterdam, Holland>

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 1995 17:34:32 GMT

Tough one. Everything from Alkaloids to acids. Fragrance are only one 
example - each smell is produced by a different substance being sent out 
by the plant in an effort to attract pollinators.