Subject: Re: Wild Plant Catalogs

From: [email-masked] ("Roger Whitehead")
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 22:18:41 GMT

Derald (and anyone else interested),

Here are details of some British suppliers. I hope it's useful.

Roger

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

British Suppliers of Native Plants

High Value Horticulture plc.,
Colne House,
Uxbridge,
Middlesex UB8 1LX
Tel: +44 (0)1895 272911 or +44 (0)1747 811778
Fax: +44 (0)01895 236421

These people specialize in plant 'plugs' - seedlings grown in
trays comprising 200 small, pyramidal cells, one plant to a cell.
This is a cheap way of getting viable plants, with a higher
success rate on site than using seed. The company can also supply
bulbs. Contact Grahame Dixie for more details.

Emorsgate Seeds,
The Pea Mill,
Market Lane,
Terrington St. Clement,
Norfolk PE34 4HR
Tel: +44 (0)1553 829028
Fax: +44 (0)1553 829803

As its name suggests, this firm specializes in the bulk supply of
seeds. It does single species and mixtures. The latter are for
specific habitats - meadows, hedgerows, pond edges and so on.
All its seeds are of wild British origin, either as directly
collected (from known sites, if you prefer) or from second, third
or fourth generation plants grown on their own land. It has over
300 species on offer. Contact Richard Brown or Mark Schofield.

BTCV Trees and Wildflowers,
Plashett Wood,
Rose Hill,
Isfield,
Uckfield,
East Sussex TN22 5UQ
Tel: +44 (0)1825 750244
Fax: +44 (0)1825 750751

This organization provides the commoner species - flowers as
seeds, plugs (from High Value Horticulture, as it happens),
bulbs and plants, and shrubs and trees as bare-rooted whips or
as "rootrainer" yearlings. Buying from BTCV brings the added
satisfaction of supporting one of Britain's foremost practical
environmental charities - the British Trust for Conservation
Volunteers. Contact Jane Curry.

John Chambers' Wild Flower Seeds,
15 Westleigh Road,
Barton Seagrave,
Kettering,
Northamptonshire NN15 5AJ
Tel: +44 (0)1933 652562
Fax: +44 (0)1993 652576

This is the most widely known British supplier, especially
through its regular display at the Chelsea Flower Show in the
summer. It caters mainly for the retail market, with all sorts of
mixtures and packaging, and also sells books, posters and
assorted knickknacks. Unlike the previous firms, not all its plants
are of British provenance. I've had no dealings with them, so can't 
offer a contact name.

All these companies have informative catalogues.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ENDS
.