Subject: Re: Lawn vs Wild Violets

From: [email-masked] (Maarten van Helden)
Date: 3 Oct 1995 08:26:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>
>In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Thomas A.
>Jarchow) writes: 
>>
>>I have an extreem infestation of wild violets in my lawn.  Any
>suggestions?
>
>>>>Violets and other broadleaf pests appear early in spring. If
>>>>ypur grass is dormant (such as zozzia or bermuda), stray with
>>>>a weak solution of RoundUp. Be Sure your grass is dormant when
>>>>the Round-Up is sprayed. I prefer to use pre-emergence fertilizer
>>>>in early spring to get the chick-weed, and light applications of
>>>>broad leaf herbicides (containing 2-4-D) during the warm portions of
>>>>the year. The application MUST BE DONE right after a rain, while the
>>>>grass is still wet. I have bermuda grass and my lat/long is 34/83
>>>>repectively. Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is bound to go wrong with roundup!! Roundup will kill any actively 
growing plant. So this will cause problems. However there are some weed 
killers which are specific against dicotyledons (most "broad leaved plants). 
These substances are actualy growth regulators and should be used during warm 
dry weather while the plants are actively growing (spring is ideal) but *not* 
wet. The herbicides are taken up by the plant, transported to the growing tips 
and roots and cause severe growth distortion and death. Such herbicides 
contain  MCPA (2-methyl-4-chloorfenoxyaceticacid), fluroxypyr, mecoprop-p or 
tryclopyr as active ingredients. A good garden center should be able to help 
you with this. 

Maarten

- 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
||\\  //||  Dr. Maarten van Helden
|| \\// ||  Dept. of Entomology
||  \/  ||  Wageningen Agricultural University
||||||||||  Binnenhaven 7, 6709 PD
||      ||  Wageningen, the Netherlands
||      ||  Tel +31-317-485118 Fax +31-317-484821
||      ||  Email: <[email-masked]>
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---

From: "Carl H. Hovermale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 10:23:23 -0500

If you want to get rid of the violets and your lawn is not st augustine 
you can use 2-4,D  But be sure to check the label and see if your grass 
is not sensitive.  most garden stores will have a material which will 
take care of the broadleaf plants. be sure you obey the label.

---

From: "Carl H. Hovermale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 08:05:26 -0500

If prepared right they make real good greens, taste a lot like spinich
enjoy

On 1 Oct 1995, Thomas A. Jarchow wrote:

> I have an extreem infestation of wild violets in my lawn.  Any suggestions?
> 
> 

From Henk Beentje Sun Oct  8 01:04:55 EDT 1995
Article: 8308 of bionet.plants
Newsgroups: bionet.plants
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!gatech!stallion.jsums.edu!news.uoregon.edu!chi-news.cic.net!brutus.bright.net!usenet.eel.ufl.edu!spool.mu.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!cs.utexas.edu!news.sprintlink.net!tank.news.pipex.net!pipex!dish.news.pipex.net!pipex!rbgkew.org.uk!usenet
From: Henk Beentje
Subject: Re: mopane??
X-Nntp-Posting-Host: hbeentje-pc
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked] (News Daemon)
Organization: The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, TW9 3AE, England
X-Newsreader: <WinQVT/Net v3.9>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 13:21:27 GMT
Lines: 17

[email-masked] (Bram wolthoorn) writes:

>
>I am looking for the exact description of the species 'mopane', as used in
 ...to the mopane forests of Samburu... What kind of tree/shrub is this?? 
Can someone give me the latin name and the specification of this plant??

Colophospermum mopane (Leguminosae) is a tree 4-18 m high, dominant over
large areas of Southern Africa in hot, low areas. Often forms pure stands,
leaves resemble butterfly wings, droop during hottest time of day. 
Levaes are important animal fodder; wood very durable.

Don't know about Samburu though, if this refers to the Kenyan tribe there
would be no mopane there!

Henk 
(lukte niet on terug te sturen per email, vandaar posting)