Subject: VACANCY: UK, Kew: Keeper of the Herbarium

From: [email-masked] (News)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 11:43:11 GMT

VACANCY :KEEPER OF THE HERBARIUM

                        Enhancing our collection

The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, is internationally renowned as a
centre of excellence.  This is an opportunity to contribute your own
ideas to a dedicated professional team which is committed to
innovation in plant science.

Reporting to the Deputy Director, Science, you will be responsible for
a unique collection of Flowering Plants, Gymnosperms, Ferns and Fungi
and for co-ordinating research programs which include the preparation
and publication of major international and regional Floras, scientific
publications, monographs and related works.
 You will also be expected to further the development of plant
conservation and economic botany, both of which are becoming
increasingly important aspects of our work in the light of the
Biodiversity Convention, CITES and Agenda 21.

Original, self-motivated and highly organised, you will have an
international reputation in plant or fungal taxonomy, economic botany
or another relevant discipline and, ideally, a knowledge of tropical
and sub-tropical botany.  The ability to lead, inspire and manage a
significant research group and act as an ambassador for Kew will be
essential and you should have a broad botanical knowledge and a proven
record in fund raising.

Starting salary upwards from UKP 38,000.

For more details and an application form (to be returned by 26 April
1995), write to Recruitment and Assessment Services, Alencon Link,
Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 1JB, or telephone Basingstoke +44 (0)1256
468551 (answerphone), or fax +44 (0)1256 846374/846660.
Please quote reference B/2496.

Informal email enquiries to:     [email-masked]
General information available on http://www.rbgkew.org.uk

An equal opportunity employer.