Subject: lead uptake by plants?

From: [email-masked] (kevin barry)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 16:22:41 GMT

I am preparing to plant some vegetables and am concerned that the
lead levels in the soil around my home may be elevated.  Is lead 
from the soil likely to be incorporated in plant tissues as the
plants grow in this soil?

Please respond to my email address as I don't get time to read news
on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Kevin Barry			     Educational Technology Consultant
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
G40 Computing/Math Building     | Email:  [email-masked]
Office of University Computing  |   URL:  http://www.nd.edu/~kbarry2/ 
University of Notre Dame        | Phone:  (219) 631-5153
Notre Dame, IN  46556		|   Fax:  (219) 631-8201
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---

From: [email-masked] (NCC1701TM)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 12:05:33 -0400

Lead can be a problem in suburban and urban soils.  I have been told that
it gets complicated in diagnosing--under certain pH conditions and in
heaveier soils the lead may be bound and unavailable for plants wven
though it is present????  I would start with a soil test to address your
concern (ask to be tested for lead) then talk to local university or
extension service to help decipher the test results.