Subject: Re: propagating citrus

From: Charles Hesselein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 16:12:54 GMT

It IS easy to propagate citrus from seed.  Here at the Mobile Ornamental 
Horticulture substation we propagate our citrus root stock by using 
seeds.  The problem with seed propagation is that the offspring are not 
likely to carry many of the positive fruiting characteristics of their 
parents.  So I doubt if you will get much satisfaction out of the fruit 
they produce.

Chazz

*******************************************
*    Charles P. (Chazz) Hesselein         *
*    Extension Horticulturist, ACES       *
*    [email-masked]          *
*    1-334-342-2366  fax: 1-334-342-1022  *
*******************************************

 >Hello, 

>I don't knoiw about cuttings, but citrus are very easy to propagate from 
>seeds.  The seeds can simply be cleaned and planted fresh (no drying 
>period required).  I have several citrus trees I haves started this way, 
>including orange and grapefruit tress ( I have a couple of three year old 
>grapefruit trees that are about 4 feet tall.  Give the plants plenty of 
>moisture and sunlight, they don't like to dry out a lot.  And keep them 
>fairly warm.  Here in Illinois I keep mine in large planters and move 
>them outside in the warm season and bring them in for the cold.

>Greg Long
>[email-masked]

---

From: J Kroin <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 May 1996 04:08:04 GMT

-- 

Better to root cuttings ... from seeds is very variable.

Take this years cuttings ... total immerse in solution containing 5 
tablets per liter water of Rhizopon AA Water Soluble Tablets (or Rhizopon 
AA #2 dry dip) .. then plant in media ... cover completely with clear 
plastic then keep at
70-75F for 2-3 wks.

Rhizopon avail from your local hort supplier of VJ Grower Supply 
800-327-5422, master distributor)

Seed stocks ar best used for rootstocks not finished plant.

Regards
Joel

---

From: Larry Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 10:12:24 -0700

Chazz a least some citrus seeds have a special condition, nucelar embriony
it think it is called, that allows the seeds to be esentially clones of
the parent plant

larry

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 May 1996 00:37:17 GMT

I disagree.  Citrus is one of the few fruits that can be propagated asexually, and bear fruit similar to its 
parent.  I've eaten fruit off a grapefruit tree that was grown from seed... quite delicious.