Subject: Re: Posting replies to plant-biology

From: [email-masked] (Brian Osborne)
Date: 8 Oct 1995 13:54:28 -0700

>Dear Plant-Biology "Netters"
>
>        Lately I find my electronic mailbox filled with multiple replies to
>questions that have been posted on the 'net, for example, the recent
>question regarding the meaning of "cv." and the many replies to questions
>asking for information on the "care and feeding" of houseplants.
>
>        I would like to suggest that such replies be made directly to the
>person posting the question, rather than to the 'net as a whole.
>Certainly, if the question is on a subject that is of general interest to
>the plant biology group, the replier could always ask that the replies be
>compiled and posted as a summary of responses.
>
>        Thanks for your consideration.
>

To the group,

I respectfully offer my differing opinion. Certainly in the instance of
the definition of the term 'cv', in which many or most of our members know
the single straightforward answer, the redundancy serves little purpose.
However, often our members offer different answers, or an online discussion
will ensue. I would hope that these exchanges are enlightening to other
readers of this group besides myself. In fact, I view this group as a type
of forum, in which many ideas are made public.

If too much of the traffic is deemed irrelevant there are solutions. One,
suggest the creation of a group with a more specific interest than
'plant biology', which is certainly a broad topic. Second, use a mail-
reader with 'filters', in which any letter with a particular word is sent
directly to the trash. These are available for all of the most popular
computer platforms.

My difficulty with suggesting summaries of responses is that I don't believe
many will actually do it. I have indeed made this request of individuals
when I responded to a query, to never hear from the individual again!

Brian I. Osborne                [email-masked]
Plant Gene Expression Center    FAX 510 559 5718
800 Buchanan St.                TEL 510 559 5919
Albany CA 94710 USA             http://pgebaker4.pw.usda.gov/bio/bio.html