Subject: Toxicity Testing in Plants

From: [email-masked] (Mary Elyse Lucero)
Date: 19 Jul 1995 02:15:06 GMT

Hi all,
	Does anyone know of good references describing techniques used 
for testing toxicity of organic compounds (herbicides, pollutants, etc.) 
in plant cell suspension cultures?   In particular, I am trying to find 
references that describe "basic" toxic responses seen in plant cells, 
which may be analogous to the increases in phase I and phase II 
biotransformation enzymes (Cytochrome P-450s, GST's, etc) seen in mammalian 
cells exposed to a wide variety of toxins.  Also, are there any "typical" 
changes in cell morphology, etc, that one might see when plant cells are 
exposed to chemical stress?
	I would assume that most of this kind of research has probably 
been done in relation to herbicide testing, however, I have not been able 
to find any review articles that cover this topic.  Perhaps I am looking 
in the wrong places.  In any case, I would appreciate it if someone here 
can point me in the right direction.  

Sincere Thanks,
Mary Lucero
[email-masked]

---

From: Mary Elyse Lucero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 21:24:16 -0600

Nathan,
	Thanks for the tips.  I have also been using FDA staining, and 
yes, it does do a good job as far as identifying viable vs. inviable 
cells.  I have also tried bromophenol blue staining, but FDA gives more  
consistant results.
	Your observation about round cells is interesting.  In general, my
cells (Datura innoxia) are round, but I may see more round cells after
treatment too, I'll have to pay more attention.
	Do you notice a tendency for cells in suspension to aggregate more
when treated with toxins?  How about changes in cell size? Mine tend to 
swell up at sub-lethal doses.

Mary Lucero
Graduate Student
Molecular Biology & Environmental Toxicology