Subject: African Violet Problem,,,

From: [email-masked] (Seth J Colitz)
Date: 16 Mar 1995 01:56:03 GMT

I have this unidentified African violet plant a friend gave me. It  iIt only 
   
had 4 leaves when I got it and was doing poorly.  One by one each leaf died 
until tthere was just a dried stump left.  I almost chucked it but decided
to keep it watered.  Interestingly a small set of leaves sprouted and soon
the plant took off.  It looks like it is in good health now, about 16 deep
dark leaves, except the leaves are starting to curl under.  But it still 
looks healthy.  Is this a problem or should I not worry.  Any help would be 
appreciated particularly general care info (how much water, light, and soil    
type) as well as a recommended organic fertilizer.  One more thing, the soil
is very compact and hard, Is this bad?      

Thank you muchly,  
Seth.

---

From: [email-masked] (ArtLH)
Date: 16 Mar 1995 12:46:44 -0500

I've noticed that the leaves on mine curl under when I over water or they
don't get enough light.  I now keep the in an east window, and have them
in a very porous mix with lots of perlite.  I allow them to become
slightly dry before watering.  I fertilize with 1/2 strength miracle gro
monthly.  They are now growing like weeks and are never without lots of
flowers.  Are the leaves of a good dark green color?  If not give more
light.  You should probably consider repotting into a looser mix.  Just
remove some of the old soil ball before repotting.  Do not put in too
large a pot.  They don't have very big root systems and overpotting seems
fatal due to waterlogging.  Even large plants do well in 4 inch pots.
Art

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 15:33:00 GMT

>is very compact and hard, Is this bad?      
 Don't put it in direct sunlight, a ( nsou >)opps I'm new with this. A north
window is best. Age your water, and keep the soil damp but don't let the tray
fill up.

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Brenkert)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 04:59:40 GMT

I've heard fish emulsion is good, but you have to put up with the 
smell.
     If the soil is hard, but the roots are growing through it, don't 
worry.  When it's time to repot (I suspect it's in a 4" pot,) pot-up to a 
6" pot and use a soil with alot of peat moss and vermiculite in it.  
Break up the hard soil only on the edges, to induce better soil-to-soil 
contact with the new soil.
     Water from the bottom if possible, never get water on the foliage.  
Make the water slightly warmer than room temperature.

  Any help would be 
>>is very compact and hard, Is this bad?      
-
  SCOTT BRENKERT  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 15:33:00 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Brenkert)
Date: 21 Mar 1995 04:59:40 GMT

Any help would be 
-