Subject: How to identify plants

From: Geoffrey Akst <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 1995 13:49:21 EDT

What's the best way to identify a plant which you see growing?  Is there any ki
nd of computer program that will help?
 
Geoff Akst

---

From: [email-masked] (Gordon T. Uber)
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 1995 04:41:40 GMT

Geoffrey Akst ([email-masked]) wrote:
: What's the best way to identify a plant which you see growing?  Is there any ki
: nd of computer program that will help?
:  
: Geoff Aks

The traditional way is to use a branching key in which a sequence of
questions successively subdivides the choices until you reach a single
family, genus or species.  Over the last decade or more various keys
have been implemented using computer software, along with other software
for searching taxonomic databases.

I suggest that you talk to the New York Botanical Garden as a start.

I hope this helps.

Gordon Uber
Palo Alto, CA
t