Subject: Recombinant DNA Courses at Indiana University

From: [email-masked] (JANE CLAY)
Date: 24 Jan 1996 14:35:22 -0800

During the summer of 1996, Indiana University's Department of Biology, in
cooperation with the I.U. Division of Continuing studies, will offer two
week-long laboratory courses focusing on the techniques and procedures used
in recombinant DNA research and their application.  Participants also have
the opportunity to work with a DNA sample of their own research organism,
if they choose.  Both courses will be taught on the Indiana University
campus in Bloomington.

        The first course, "Recombinant DNA Technology," will introduce
participants to procedures involved in recombinant DNA work and to the
molecular aspects of genetic engineering.  Most of the procedures that are
taught to biology graduate students in the recombinant DNA section of a
graduate techniques course at Indiana University will be covered.
Participants can make arrangements to isolate genomic DNA from their own
research organisms during the course.

The following techniques will be included:

        *DNA and cloning vector manipulation
        *PCR technology
        *Preparation of recombinant DNA
        *Transformation of bacterial cells
        *Selection and assay of cloned and amplified fragments of
"foreign" DNA
        *Transfer of DNA for probing (Southern blot)
        *Preparation of nonradioactive DNA probes

The course is scheduled for June 3-7, 1996.  Registration deadline is May 17.

The second course, "Application of Recombinant DNA Technology:  RFLP and
Fingerprinting Analysis, RAPD Analysis, and DNA Sequencing," will provide
participants with the opportunity to learn about the materials and
techniques used in recombinant DNA research.  Participants may bring a DNA
sample to sequence during the course.

This course will emphasize the following techniques:

        *DNA sequencing using non-radioactive methods
        *RAPD analysis of genomic DNA
        *Fingerprinting and RFLP analysis of genomic DNA
        *Electroporation of bacterial cells
        *Chemiluminescent detection of nucleic acids
        *Application of computers to DNA sequencing data analysis
        *Preparation of random fragment sequencing libraries and
double-stranded DNA for sequencing
        *Use of bioneb cell and bipolymer disruption systems

This course is scheduled for June 10-14, 1996.  Registration deadline is May 24.

 For additional information, contact Jane Clay, Division of Continuing
Studies, Owen Hall 204, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405, phone
(812) 855-6329.
Internet:  [email-masked]
Web:  http://www.Indiana.edu/~scs/prof.html

Jane Clay
Associate Director
Division of Continuing Studies
Owen Hall 204
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone:  812-855-6329  Fax:  812-855-8997
email:  [email-masked]