Subject: CA/Wpg POSTDOC - Mol. Bio. of Plant/Pathogen Interactions

From: [email-masked] (Brian Fristensky)
Date: 28 Mar 1996 18:40:56 GMT

For a HYPERTEXT version of this ad, see
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~frist/postdoc.html

                           POSTDOCTORAL   POSITION

               MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF PLANT/PATHOGEN INTERACTIONS

PROJECT DESCRIPTION -  Despite the importance of canola (Brassica napus)
to Canadian agriculture, little study has been devoted to the molecular 
biology of disease resistance in this crop. In part, this is because only 
a few canola defense genes have been cloned. To broaden the range of genes 
available for host/pathogen studies and genetic engineering of disease 
resistance in canola this project has the following goals:

 1. Isolation and automated sequencing of Expressed Sequence Tags (ESTs)
    from blackleg (Leptosphaeria maculans)-inoculated Brassica napus. 
 2. Screening of a B. napus genomic library using EST probes for
    recognized defense genes. 
 3. Automated sequencing of selected genomic clones.
 4. Construction of transgenic B. napus containing chimeric GUS-reporter
    genes from  genomic clones.
 5. Investigation of L. maculans/B. napus interactions using plants
    transgenic for reporter-gene constructs.

QUALIFICATIONS - Qualified applicants must have  a Ph.D. in Genetics,
Biochemistry, Plant Pathology, or related field. Experience with both plant
pathology and molecular biology is required.  
 
THE POSITION - Salary is $27,500 per year. Funding for up to three years has
been provided through the NSERC/Ag. Canada Research Partnership Program.
The position is available as of May 1, 1996.

THE UNIVERSITY, WINNIPEG AND MANITOBA - The University of Manitoba is one of
Canada's major centers for agricultural research. Other academic and research
institutions in Winnipeg include the Agriculture Canada Station, the U. of M.
Health Sciences campus and the University of Winnipeg. With a cosmopolitan
population of over 600,000, Winnipeg offers a rich mixture of culture and
entertainment, including the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, and the Winnipeg
Symphony Orchestra, as well as the CFL Blue Bombers. The comparatively
low cost of living, clean air and friendly people combine to make Winnipeg
a very liveable city. Winnipeg is at the interface of the prairie and boreal
forest, and the Manitoba lake country offers great opportunities for boating,
fishing and wilderness camping. 

APPLICATIONS - Send a curriculum vitae, a brief (one page) description of 
your current research, and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three
referees.  Applications or inquiries for further information about the 
position should be addressed to:

          Dr. Brian Fristensky
          Department of Plant Science
          University of Manitoba
          Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA
 
Phone: 204-474-6085   FAX: 204-275-5732   Email: [email-masked]
WWW: http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~frist/

The University encourages applications from both men and women. In accordance
with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to qualified
Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.