Subject: Green Tomatoes

From: [email-masked] ("Ray Warner")
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 19:12:17 GMT

Can anyone tell me just how poisonous green tomatoes are, or is it just a 
myth? Regards Ray Warner

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L Roginsky )
Date: 8 Oct 1995 16:43:30 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] ("Ray
Warner") writes: 
>>>>Fried green tomatoes are a delicacy in the South. The tomato and
>>>>tomatillo belong a family of poisonous plants, including potatoes.
>>>>They are of the genus "nightshade" and their foliage is poisonous
>>>>to humans. Try slicing your gren tomatoes, placing them in a batter
>>>>of milk and eggs, or any other kind, dump them on bread crumbs or
>>>>cornmeal and fry them using butter, margarine, or any vegetable
>>>>oil. They taste great....................Enjoy!

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Rand)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 1995 06:59:38 GMT

>Can anyone tell me just how poisonous green tomatoes are, or is it just a 

Well, I've been eating home-made green tomato chutney since I were a
little lad, and I'm quite a big grey-haired lad now.

...Martin (off-duty)
Chandlers Ford, Hants, UK

---

From: [email-masked] ("Ray Warner")
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 07:03:32 GMT

Thanks, so have I, my main concern is with raw green tomatoe's, someone 
has suggested green tomato salsa. So the question still stands, will I 
"Do myself in" by eating green tomatoes and if so how many will it take?

Ray Warner

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L Roginsky )
Date: 10 Oct 1995 20:47:46 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Geeta
Bharathan) writes: 
>
>Ray Warner ([email-masked]) wrote:
>: Thanks, so have I, my main concern is with raw green tomatoe's,
someone 
>: has suggested green tomato salsa. So the question still stands, will
I 
>: "Do myself in" by eating green tomatoes and if so how many will it
take?
>
>I dont know about raw green tomatoes in quantitiy, but green salsas 
>usually contain tomatillos, Physalis philadelphica. Is this what was
meant?
>
>--Geeta
>
>>>Green tomatoes are NOT poisonous. Eat it raw, fried, or with
hot chile peppers on eggs.....New Mexico style........Micro

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L Roginsky )
Date: 10 Oct 1995 20:45:27 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] ("Ray

>>>Ray: Green tomatoes are NOT poisonous. Only the foliage is.
>>>This mith goes back to the 1600s when Europeans thought that
>>>the fruit was poisonous. Incidently this is in the family
>>>of nightshade, a very poisonous group of plants. Hope this
>>>gets you over your fears..........Micro.