Subject: Re: "Bristly Locust"

From: [email-masked] (KAWilson)
Date: 10 May 1995 19:35:36 -0400

I think what you may be refering to is Robinia hispida L., known as
rose acacia , bristly, or moss, locust.  Britton and Brown list it as
native to the mountains of VA to eastern TN and GA.  There's some around
here (South Central New York), but I suspect it was originally an
ornamental planting.

---

From: [email-masked] (Lkmecum)
Date: 9 May 1995 19:11:55 -0400

Hi everyone,

I had asked about a week ago if anyone had heard of a Rose acacia, and I
didn't get any feed back.  Since then,I've found out that it also goes by
the name of Bristly locust.  Has anyone heard of it?  All I know is that
its a hybrid.

Thanks in advance!
Lynne K. Mecum
The Wilds
14000 International Road
Cumberland, Ohio 43732
Internet: [email-masked]

---

From: Scott Ranger <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 May 1995 12:51:13 GMT

It does sound like the legume tree, Robinia hispida.  It's blooming right
now here in Georgia.  Tends to be a smallish tree, to 30 or so feet and
often shrubby in hedgerows.  The piniksh flowers droop like black locust 
but look a little more like wisteria.  The "hispida" part of the name 
refers to the many hairs all over the young twigs.  It is armed with mean 
thorns.  Many consider it a weed, but under control it can be very nice.

---

From: Barbara Selemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 13:10:40 -0700

Rose acacia is a common name for Robinia hispida, which is in the Legume 
family and has pink flowers at this time of year.  It also has red 
bristly hairs on the new young stems.