Subject: Re: Clematis prop. from cuttings - tips?

From: Jose Saenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 17:49:36 -0800

On Mon, 13 Mar 1995, Kevin Crader wrote:

> I would like to propagate some Clematis vines growing in my patio, but
> I've never had any root in past attempts. I have had good luck with many
> other species.
>  Any tips to help me - possibly time of year, length of cuttings, etc?
> Zone 6  Lexington MA
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> Kevin> 

Hi Kevin,
	I am an expert in Clematis but I will give some ideas that 
probably would help you.
	If you are not thinking to produce thounsdan of plant,  layering 
is a good method for progating almost all species of Clematis.    This 
means that you will not have 100% of chance to be lucky.
	I think that you know how to do layering.    If not, I will give 
you some idea, but I am sure that a friend or a neighbor will be better 
than me in E-mail.
	Select a shoot 2-3 feet long or more.   It must be the closer to 
the ground as possible.  The basal part of the shoot has to be placed in 
a pot with pea, vermiculite, perlite or organic soil.  This "soil" must 
maintained moist but not saturated in water.
	Important: the stem has to be attach to the "mother" plant for 
one year until spring 1996.   
	Before placing the pot or cover, make 3-4 woundies (longitudinal) 
and if it is possible add some rooting hormone.

Good luck
		Jose

---

From: [email-masked] (Bret Celmer)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 22:35:13 GMT

Kevin Crader ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I would like to propagate some Clematis vines growing in my patio, but
: I've never had any root in past attempts. I have had good luck with many
: other species.
:  Any tips to help me - possibly time of year, length of cuttings, etc?
: Zone 6  Lexington MA

: Thanks!

: Kevin

Kevin-  You'll have best luck with cuttings of your Clemantis if you take 
young wood in the spring or partially matured wood in the summer.  
Semi-hardwood or hard wood should be treated with rooting hormone.  
Layering also works well.  good luck.
          B. Celmer        [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Bret Celmer)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 22:35:13 GMT

: Thanks!

: Kevin