Subject: Mango Pits???

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 21:08:34 -0400

I was just wondering if anyone has sucessfully grown a plant from a mango
pit. I opened the outer part, took the pit out and suspended it over water
like an avacado pit with part in the water but nothing happened.

Can these be grown?

Thanks!

---

From: [email-masked] (Henry Broekhuyse)
Date: 16 May 1995 04:01:03 GMT

> like an avacado pit with part in the water but nothing happened.

-----------
Take the seed out of the hard outer coat, gently peel off the papery stuff
covering the seed (don't hassle it if it doesn't come off easily, it isn't
that important to get it all off) and plant the seed in a pot of potting
soil.  Lay the seed on its side and cover with one inch of soil (let it do
the hard work of figuring out which is the shoot end and which is the root
end).  Don't let the soil dry out.  One book I've read says there's a 30%
chance of germination.  I've tried three seeds in the past and two came up
as nice little treelets (but they got frozen on a cold window sill and came
to a ignoble end).

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 1995 17:32:39 GMT

Soak the seed in water for 24 hours and plant in a very porous mixture, 
preferably containing about 10% leaf mold. Keep it damp and it should 
grow. The plant will probably be nothing like the fruit was. You¹re 
better off buying a seedling or getting a cutting from someone with a 
tree. They grow really well from cuttings -- better than seeds.