Subject: Drought resistant plants?? HELP!!

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Johnson)
Date: 29 Apr 1995 23:57:08 GMT

I need some ideas of the best kind of drought resistant plants.  I am in 
California and I need some good plants for my yard.  What does anybody 
suggest??  (Most colorful and little maintenance)
Thanks a lot!!
--Andy Johnson

---

From: [email-masked] (Hal Hawthorne)
Date: 2 May 1995 01:07:25 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Andrea Via)
writes: 
>
>Andrew Johnson ([email-masked]) wrote:
>: I need some ideas of the best kind of drought resistant plants.  I
am in 
>: California and I need some good plants for my yard.  What does
anybody 
>: suggest??  (Most colorful and little maintenance)
>: Thanks a lot!!
>: --Andy Johnson
>
>Many Australian plants grow great in California and many nurseries are

>starting to carry them.  If you can find it, a great plant is called
the 
>Kangaroo Paw (unfortunatly I don't know the latin name off hand).  I
have 
>it at home in Santa Rosa.  It loves full sun and I've never needed to 
>water it.  Just don't plant it too close to plants you'd be
fertalizing 
>since it doesn't like added fertalizer.  The flowers are really unique

>and come in red and yellow.  The only problem I've had with it is that

>the leaves have a tendency to get black edges on them when there has
been 
>a lot of rain.  Hope that helps.
>						Andrea
>
Andrea,

     The plant you are refering to is Anigozanthus sp., and I have
grown this in Davis... but it always had the blackening of the leaves. 
A really great place to get California natives is right in your
backyard...more or less...  The UCD Arboretum has a fantastic sale
every year -- the first saturday of Fall quarter. Also, they have
smaller, more frequent sales.  Contact the arboretum headquarters for
details..

Good luck.   Lara

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrea Via)
Date: 1 May 1995 19:29:57 GMT

Andrew Johnson ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I need some ideas of the best kind of drought resistant plants.  I am in 
: California and I need some good plants for my yard.  What does anybody 
: suggest??  (Most colorful and little maintenance)
: Thanks a lot!!
: --Andy Johnson

Many Australian plants grow great in California and many nurseries are 
starting to carry them.  If you can find it, a great plant is called the 
Kangaroo Paw (unfortunatly I don't know the latin name off hand).  I have 
it at home in Santa Rosa.  It loves full sun and I've never needed to 
water it.  Just don't plant it too close to plants you'd be fertalizing 
since it doesn't like added fertalizer.  The flowers are really unique 
and come in red and yellow.  The only problem I've had with it is that 
the leaves have a tendency to get black edges on them when there has been 
a lot of rain.  Hope that helps.
						Andrea

---

From: Adam Van Wirdum <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 May 1995 06:51:01 GMT

> suggest??  (Most colorful and little maintenance)
Medit. gardens listserve group would be able to help
Michael
TFG