Subject: Re: Help with a dying Palm.

From: Mark Hibbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 95 01:08:35 PDT

In Article<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]> write:

..earlier stuff deleted... 
>
> : I've never seen them bother an Elephant foot palm (Beaucarnia 
> : recurvata)). For mites, a systemic insecticide is necessary or a 
> : garbage can. Mites can be distinguished by their producing webs 
for 
> : mating when the infestation is bad.
 
..more of me blabbing deleted...

> : Mark Hibbert
> : [email-masked]
> : 
> 
> 
> I would agree with your diagnosis, doctor.  :-)
> 
> I have an Areca indoor palm that is 7 feet tall, with about 7 or 8 
fronds.
> I've lost one frond and am losing another, more than likely due to
> lack of light.  I spoke with a greenhouse that deals in tropicals
> and was told that Arecas like light from above too.  This would 
explain why
> my smaller Areca and Date Palms are doing fine-- they are no more 
than
> 3 feet high and catch a lot of light.
> 
> Also, when there is less light, cut down on water.
> 
> By the way, just a side note, by Elephant Foot Palm do you mean
> Royal Palm?  The kind of palms that look like a pedestal and flare 
out
> at the base?
> ---
> Jim Yorton
> [email-masked]

Thanks Jim,

I've had many plants so I've seen lots of strange problems appear. The 
Elephant foot palm (Beaucarnea recurvata) is a Mexican desert plant 
and a member of the family Agavaceae which contains some pretty tough 
customers. I haven't heard it called a Royal palm but I've heard it 
called a Ponytail Plant or a Bottle Plant.

It will grow to 30 ft in the wild but 6ft is a good size for an indoor 
plant. Physically, it is most often a single stem that is thick and 
fleshy and swells dramatically at the base. The 'leaves' look like 
ribbons radiating from the terminus of the plant. Larger plants will 
occasionally produce a second (or more) offshoot from the main stem.

Enough description. I personally like them because I had a nasty 
two-spotted spider mite infestation ravage my collection (~60 plants 
most floor size). The only plant never bothered by the little bastards 
was my Elephant Foot Palm.

Your other point about tall plants is too true. It is a shame when you 
have to cut back a large plant because of ceiling restrictions and 
diminishing light but it is fatal to true palms. They have only one 
terminal bud responsible for all their new leaf production and if it 
gets damaged (lopped off) the plant is doomed.

cheers,

Mark
[email-masked]