Subject: Can a Mimosa ever be yellow?

From: [email-masked] (Finn N Rasmussen)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 16:38:00

The genus Mimosa is said to contain about 400 spp. The most common sp. is 
probably the widespread weedy Mimosa pudica, which has pink flowers.  The cut 
off branches often sold as "Mimosa" are actually yellow flowered Acacia's, 
e.g. A. decurrens.  My question is:  Do all 400 true mimosa's have pink 
flowers? Can you be certain that a "yellow Mimosa" is never a true member of 
the genus Mimosa L.?

Finn N. Rasmussen, Botanical Laboratory,  Copenhagen. Univ.

---

From: [email-masked] (F. Johnson)
Date: 28 Mar 1996 14:26:24 GMT

>Finn N. Rasmussen, Botanical Laboratory,  Copenhagen. Univ.

According to my references, true mimosas have 'white, pink, or reddish' flowers.

---

From: Cpurvis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 19:22:31 -0500

My grandmother has a mimosa in her front yard.  Several years ago, "that 
disease that kills mimosas" "killed" it.  She burned off the stump, and a 
little while later, the tree grew back with _white_ flowers.  It has been 
white ever since.  (several years.)  I would guess that if you can have a 
white one, (they have a little bit of a yellow tint when older) you can 
have a yellow one.  I don't know though.  Has anyone else out there seen 
a white mimosa?  I was wondering if I could take root cuttings and get 
lots of little white mimosas!  

				--  Cpurvis

---

From: [email-masked](Michael L Roginsky )
Date: 30 Mar 1996 22:26:16 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (F. Johnson)
>According to my references, true mimosas have 'white, pink, or
reddish' flowers.

May I suggest you visit http://144.174.177.33/~Julius.html
Julius is a professor emeritus of botany. His homepage has his email
address.........Micro, not to be confused with a microbe!