Subject: Arabidopsis fluorescence

From: [email-masked] (Charles S Buer)
Date: 7 Jun 1996 05:49:42 -0700

Dear netters--

I have been conducting some experiments with Arabidopsis and viewing the
callus tissue under a fluorescing microscope.  I am wondering if any one
can inform me what compound fluoresces yellow (cellulose ?) and which
fluoresces light green at 490 nm. I also have deep red but am sure that is
chlorophyll. The yellow occurs in older tissue and the light green in new
cells.  The callus is grown in light and is a light yellowish green in
color under ambient light.  The fluorescence occurs without adding any
chemicals such as fluorescein diacetate.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
					|
Charles S. Buer                         |E-mail:  [email-masked]
Biology/Biotechnology Dept.             |Phone:   (508) 831-5052
Worcester Polytechnic Institute         |FAX:     (508) 831-5936
100 Institute Rd.                       |http://www.wpi.edu/~buer
Worcester, MA 01609                     |
					|
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

---

From: [email-masked] (Marc van Iersel)
Date: 7 Jun 1996 07:29:39 -0700

>chemicals such as fluorescein diacetate.

Several tissues can fluoresce yellow when excited with 490 nm light.  These
include the cuticle, sclerenchyma, fibers, xylem vessels, and gossypol
glands.  Lignin is believed to be the compound responsible for the
fluorescence in some of these tissues.  For more information see Grignon et
al, 1989 (Amer. J. Bot. 76:871-877) and Van Iersel et al, 1995 (J. Exp. Bot.
46:321-328).

I don't know what the light green fluorescence would be.  You may want to
contact Drs. McCully and/or Canny at the Department of Biology, Carleton
University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  They have done a lot of fluorescence
work and may be able to help you.  Good luck.

Marc
Marc van Iersel			E-mail: [email-masked]
Assistant Professor		
Department of Horticulture	Tel: (770) 412-4766
University of Georgia		Fax: (770) 412-4764
Georgia Station
Griffin, GA 30223-1797