Subject: Sick Birch Trees -- Help Wanted

From: [email-masked] (Jeanne Gadol)
Date: 10 Jun 1995 23:41:46 GMT

I have about 10 multiple-stem birch trees that are about 5 years old
and about 20 feet tall.  They leafed out well this spring but several,
which are adjacent to one another, are looking droopy at the top and
getting some yellow leaves.  Some of the yellow leaves have dropped.
I recently fertilized them with a multi-purpose fertilizer (I think it
was 10-10-10).  Could I have over-fertilized?

Diagnosis, Prognosis, Treatment are most welcome!

Thanks for your help--

---

From: [email-masked] (HHenjum)
Date: 15 Jun 1995 01:47:14 -0400

Birch trees need water and some shade for there best growth, many birches
planted in the land scape die over a couple of years because they lack
water-do not plant in dry sandy or clay soil-do water offten when it is
dry.
 When a tree is week it may be infested with the birch bore and a sever
infestation may kill the tree-look for small swellings on the trunks or
for round holes about a 1/5 th of an inch in size.- If you have the bore
the best treatment is to make the tree as healthy as you can -give it a
lot of water.