Subject: MORINGA OLEIFERA information ?

From: Pascal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 16:42:07 +0200

I am looking for any information about MORINGA OLEIFERA. On the plant
itself, the height, which family it belong, etc and on the environment,
where it use to grow, what king of ground it need etc. 

If you can help me, thank you.

					Pascal Castor.

---

From: [email-masked] (Rethinam Sabapathy)
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 15:34:13 GMT

>					Pascal Castor.

Small tree 15-20 feet, saxifragaceae, leaves 3-4 pinnate compound, flowers pale
yellow - in large panicles, fruit long triangular capsule 1-2 feet. Native of
India. Cultivated  for its edible fruit and leaves (in Singapore too). Common
names, horse radish tree, drumstick tree. Synonym Moringa pterygosperma.

Grows well in loamy soil. Propagation by seed but cuttings prefered. Tropical
climates. Trunk and branches fragile (do not climb).

Anyone has more info?

Sabapathy

ref. - Hsuan Keng, Consise flora of Singapore, 1990.

---

From: [email-masked] (Regis.Courtecuisse)
Date: 11 May 1996 08:07:09 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
says...
>If you can help me, thank you.

Hi !

Moringa oleifera belongs in the family Moringaceae. Its geographical 
origin could be areas comprised between North-East Africa and India, 
perhaps eastward to Tropical Asia.
It's a small tree, up to 10 meters high. The bark is whitish grey. Twigs 
are green ,finely pubescent, then glabrous.
Seeds produce oil.
I heard that this oil could be an excellent agent to purify water.

Hope this helps.

	Regis