Subject: Help with unidentified lawn grass

From: [email-masked] (wojcik)
Date: 19 May 1995 19:36:00 GMT

Last year, I noticed a small, 1-inch patch of lawn that really
stood out from the rest of the lawn. This patch was much shorter, and had
an odd irridescent blue shine to it. I cut out this small patch and pampered
it to the point where it is now over a foot across but only 1-1/2 inches tall.
	Here in the Midwest, with all the rain we have had and the cool
Spring, I have had to cut my lawn 6 times already. Yet this one isolated
patch has remained under 2 inches tall and is spreading sideways like
crazy. It has still maintained its odd blue shade and I haven't had to mow it.
	Can anyone recommend a university or research facility (like Scott's
seed) that I can send a sample to and hopefully they can identify it?
	I'm going to chop this patch up to get even more of it going, since
I wouldn't mind at all having an entire lawn of this particular type. Could
it be Merion Blue? But I thought MB needs regular mowing like any other lawn
grass. This one looks like it could go many weeks without mowing.
	Any help would be appreciated.

- Al Wojcik

---

From: "Troy D. Carson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 18:08:59 GMT

Mr. Al Wojcik,

I am a member of the turfgrass research team led by Dr. Don White at the 
University of Minnesota. The plant you describe sounds as if it may be an 
annual bluegrass plant, but it is difficult to tell just from a description.

If you could send us a sample we could identify it for you. A live sample 
is easier to identify, so if you could take a small sample with leaves and 
roots, with soil remaining on the roots, wrap the sample in a wet paper 
towel and place in a zip-lock bag. Also, please include your name, address 
and phone number in a separate bag so it doesn't get wet. Send the sample 
as soon as possible after digging to give it a better chance of surviving 
through the mail system. (Next day service might be better if you want to 
go that route.) My address should appear below.

If you decide to send us a sample, please let me know, so that I can keep 
an eye out for it.

Troy D. Carson

--------------------------------------------------------------
Troy D. Carson
Turfgrass Research
University of Minnesota Horticulture
304 Alderman Hall
1970 Folwell Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108
internet:[email-masked]          phone:612-624-4907
---------------------------------------------------------------