Subject: potato yields

From: [email-masked] (Bill Langridge)
Date: 20 Mar 1996 05:15:17 GMT

Can anyone tell me what the current yield of potatoes is in pounds, 
kilograms or tons per acre or hectare for the average white or yellow 
cooking potato from Idaho, or Maine or other major potato producing 
area in the US. I need this information to calculate the yield of 
recombinant protein possible to produce in a transgenic potato?

Thanks very much for your help.

Bill Langridge

---

From: [email-masked] ("Randall P. Niedz")
Date: 20 Mar 1996 06:14:20 -0800

> Thanks very much for your help.
Bill.

I use Agricultural Statistics 19--, published by the USDA to derive yields
and value for citrus crops.  There is a fairly extensive breakdown of
potato plantings, yields, and value in the U.S. 

Randy Niedz
USDA, ARS
Orlando, Florida

---

From: [email-masked](Michael L Roginsky )
Date: 25 Mar 1996 22:09:08 GMT

>potato plantings, yields, and value in the U.S. 

Bill, the hillbilies in the North Carolina back country (Smokies) have
huge yelds due to the nature of the soil...well drained sandy loam with
a lot of organic matter and rich in potassium. By the way, did you know
that against cultural beliefs of eating potato skins, they should be
discarded. Any heavy metals are stored in the skins....potato is a good
portion of this backcountry society. They never eat the peels!
ML Roginsky.