Subject: Papaine

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 May 1995 09:28:04 -0700

I need some information of papaine.  If someone have some imformation, please
send to me...........

Julio C. Rossy
[email-masked]

Thanyou......................

---

From: [email-masked] (KAWilson)
Date: 12 May 1995 20:55:55 -0400

I suspect you are refering to papain, a cysteine protease found in the
fruit, and I thick also sap, of the papaya.  It's similar in many respects
to other plant cysteine proteases - enzymes that digest proteins - such as
bromelain (from pineapples) and ficin (from various Ficus species), as
well as some of the proteases found in germinating seeds.  For the most
part they are approximately 30,000 molecular weight - i.e. moderately
sized proteins.  Their most common use, outside of the lab, is as the
active ingredient in meat tenderizers.  

   There's lots more to papain  -  what exactly were  you interested in? 
================================================================
Karl A. Wilson, Ph.D.
Dept. Biological Sciences
SUNY at Binghamton
Binghamton, NY  13902-6000
[email-masked]  OR  [email-masked]
================================================================