Subject: Spanish Moss Seeds

From: ISAAC FORQUER <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 22:56:08 -0400

Dear people of the plants,
	I am a young botany student and work in a greenhouse on campus.  
Some spanish moss that I started last year has produced some seeds.  Just 
as a matter of learning, I would like to get these seeds to germinate, 
does anybody have any advice??? Please send mail personally,

						[email-masked]
						thanks, Isaac Forquer

---

From: [email-masked] (John )
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 03:31:36 GMT

ISAAC FORQUER <[email-masked]> wrote:

:Dear people of the plants,
:	I am a young botany student and work in a greenhouse on campus.  
:Some spanish moss that I started last year has produced some seeds.  Just 
:as a matter of learning, I would like to get these seeds to germinate, 
:does anybody have any advice??? Please send mail personally,

:						[email-masked]
:						thanks, Isaac Forquer
Spanish moss (Tillandsia) is a Bromeliad.
I suggest spreading them out on a sheet of tree fern fiber,
Place them in a bright humid environment.
John Laroche
[email-masked]    Visit SaberSpace:
[email-masked]  http://www.webcom.com/~sabercat/

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 May 1995 17:42:48 GMT

They should germinate if left on the surface of some cork or oak. Keep 
them relatively dry and out of the wind. Spray them with a weak fish 
emulsion and let them dry between mistings (which will naturally depend 
on the conditions in your greenhouse) good luck. I live in Florida and 
grow many (like in LOTS) of weird plants. Spanish Moss (a species of 
Tillandsia, related to the pineapple and all other bromeliades) thrives 
in the wild here. It¹s called Beard of the Conquistadores in Spanish. 
Legend has it that their ghosts were doomed to haunt the swamps. Really 
cool plant.