Subject: Equisetium

From: [email-masked] (Eco Chad)
Date: 8 Jun 1995 17:12:38 -0400

I am interested in plants of the ancient fern ally genus Equisetium
(commonly called Horsetails).  I have found it difficult to get any
information on the distributions of the species of this group.  I would
greatly appreciate any information that anyone can provide on this
fascinating group.

Thanks,

Chad Husby

P.S.  I am especially interested in Equisetium diffusum and I would like
to know what its native range is and how I might obtain and culture it.

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Matus)
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 1995 20:09:47 GMT

[email-masked] (Eco Chad) wrote:

>(commonly called Horsetails).  I have found it difficult to get any ...

To my knowledge the latest monograph of the genus Equisetum is by 
Richard L. Hauke (University of Rhode Island), distripution maps 
included:

[1] Equisetum Subgenus Hippochaete
    Beih. Nova Hedwigia 8. (1961)
[2] Equisetum Subgenus Equisetum
    Nova Hedwigia 30 (1978)

According to [2] the distribution of Equisetum diffusum is:
Himalaya mountains from Simla (India) to Tibet, Sikkim, Burma,
Assam, Bhutan, Nepal, and adjacent China. 450 to 3500 msm.

I have nearly all european species in culture, both in garden and 
potted. With the exception of E. telmateia and E. sylvaticum which 
have not been held in culture, they are quite easy to grow from short
rhizomes or even of the stems. I have some plants which I grew from 
rhizomes I got via airmail from USA and Canada. On the other hand it 
is not so easy to get plants from the spores.

BTW the spelling is Equisetum not Equisetium (important for a search
in WWWW)

I am also very interested in this group, especially in the species of 
the neotropis. If you get more information please drop me a line.

by, Michael.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 21 Jun 95 21:52:01 -0400

Hello Chad Husby

>From  1963. (Reprint 1983). Roland, A.E.; Smith, E.C.. The Flora of Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Museum. Halifax, N.S.
	Equisetaceae (horsetail family)
		E. arvense L. (field horsetail) northern hemisphere
		E. pratense Ehrh. (meadow horsetail) Nfld. to Alaska south to
			N.B., n. N.J. and B.C. 
		E. sylvaticum L. (wood horsetail) Nfld. to Alaska south to
			Penn.,	Ohio and Iowa
		E. litorale Kuhlewein (supposed to be a cross between E.
			arvense and E. fluviatile) Local, N.S. to B.C. south to
			Penn., Monn.m, and Ore.
		E. fluviatile L. (water horsetail) Nfld. to Alaska southward;
			Eurasia
		E. hyemale L., var. affine (Engelm.) A.A. Eat.  (scouring rush)
			Nfld. to Alaska south to Ala.
		E. variegatum Scheich. Cape North Village, VIctoria Co., N.S.
			Nfld to penn. and Wisc.;Alaska to Colo.; Eurasia   
		E. variegatum Scheich. var. jesupi A.A. Eat.  Nfld to penn. and
			Wisc.;Alaska to Colo.; Eurasia   
		E. scirpoides Michx. (dwarf scouring rush) Nfld. to Alaska
			south to Mass., Wisc. and Wash.
>to know what its native range is and how I might obtain and culture it.

	There is no mention of E. diffusum in the Flora of Nova Scotia. Check
also Gray's Manual of Botany ((1950) and the Britton and Brown Illustrated
Flora of Northeastern united States and Adjacent Canada (1952) for additional
information as to  whether the species of interest appears. 

	As far as culture: in a field situation this genus (at least what is
native to N.S.; specifically in my fields!!!) seems to prefer low pH, moist
conditions, full sun, no traffic  and is not competitive with native pasture
grasses and other species when the pH is raised (on my land anything above 5.2
seems to inhibit its growth). I have no information or experience as to
culture in artificial media for this species.  
	
	I am interested in this ancient genus. They have a place on my land
that I do not disturb them. Could you please tell me more of E. diffusum? As
you can tell I have not heard of this species.  WHat do you find special about
this species? Why are you looking for information?

	Good luck with your pursuits,
		
			Karen McKenzie Moerman, B.Sc. (Agr)
				Replying on D. Moerman's Account