Subject: white fly problems

From: Gary Kuleck <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jun 1995 18:48:45 GMT

Hi folks,
     I just placed a number of newly regenerated transgenics in my
greenhouse and they have become infested with white flies.  Any simple
solutions to dealing with this problem?  
The plants are mostly leguminous species.

Thanks, 
Gary Kuleck
e-mail:[email-masked]
Biology Department
Loyola Marymount University
Los Angeles, CA 90045

---

From: [email-masked] (Adrian, Glenn Murray)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 00:51:01 GMT

>4.Commercial greenhouses often use very fine netting to protect their plants
>5. Parasitic wasps - I have the name of a local supplier if you 
>want but they are more work.
>Good luck
The thing about parasitic wasps is they are not as responsive to temperature 
as the the whiteflies are.  At lower temperatures they will multiply enough 
to keep the whitefly numbers low.  But at high temperatures the whitefly 
will go crazy and reproduce like whiteflies, leaving the parasite with more 
food than they can possibly eat, and not helping you much.
	Another thing that has been used is yellow sticky boards. Aparently 
whiteflies love yellow.  Hang up a board painted yellow, and covered in a 
sticky resin.
	These things get resistant to most insecticides very quickly, and it 
is hard to know what they are not resistant to, so some of the suggestions 
above are probaly better than conventional nerve toxins.

	Glenn
[email-masked]

---

From: cheryl <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jun 1995 00:00:41 GMT

> Loyola Marymount University
We have the same probelm in our greenhouses.  There are a couple of
 things you can try that shouldn't injure your plants:
1. Try a product called Safer soap. It should be available at Target or 
Home Depot or such. It's about $8 a concentrated pint but I think it's
sold ready to use also.  It's composed of fatty acids.
2. Utra fine or super fine oil spray is used in some greenhouses here 
and some people swear by it.  You should be able to get it from a 
horticultural supply house.
3. Enstar is the insect growth regulator used to control whiteflies but
I think you need a license to get it.
4.Commercial greenhouses often use very fine netting to protect their plants
5. Parasitic wasps - I have the name of a local supplier if you 
want but they are more work.
Good luck

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Barkley)
Date: 20 Jun 1995 15:12:51 GMT

> The plants are mostly leguminous species.

Gary,

You might also try whitefly parasites or whitefly predators.  They are
a beneficial organisms that attack the pest not people, plants or pets.
However they do need time to work and should be included as a part of 
an over-all pest management system.  One source that I have is:

** Peaceful Valley Farm Supply
   P.O. Box 2209
   Grass Valley, CA. 95945 
   (916) 272-4769

They do have a catalog available.  Good luck.

Tim Barkley
Information Coordinator for Sustainable Agriculture
Ohio State University Extension
(614) 732-2381
[email-masked] (work)
[email-masked] (surf's up)

** Note **  Neither I nor Ohio State University Extension are associated
in any way with the above supplier; NOR does the mentioning of them in
this article in any way constitute an endorsement or recommendation of 
this company.