Subject: Do Water Trays under pots raise humidity around plants? (2nd try)

From: [email-masked] (Bob Batson)
Date: 20 Sep 1995 01:00:24 GMT

Do Water Trays Under Pots Raise Humidity around Plants?

  Not appreciably, unless you put the tray and pot in a container (such
as an aquarium tank) or heat the tray (gently) to promote evaporation.
If you use a container, you can provide an adjustable opening at the top
to regulate the humidity inside (100% humidity when the container is
closed; lower humidity as the opening is increased). A small fan placed
inside the container will aid air circulation.
  Reference: Douglas Kohl (417 6th Ave., N.E., Osseo, MN 55369), "A
Study in Humidity: Douglas Kohl Evaluates the Effectiveness of a Common
Method to Raise Humidity around Orchids Growing in the Home," AMERICAN
ORCHID SOCIETY BULLETIN 63(8), August 1995, 916-917. (American Orchid
Society, Inc., 600 S. Olive Ave., West Palm Beach, FL 33405.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Reprinted with permission from the August 1995 _HortIdeas_. Copyright
1995 by Greg and Pat Williams. HortIdeas is $20 (2nd class mail within
the USA) for one year (12 issues). Single issues are $2.00 in North
America. For more information or a subscription, write: HortIdeas, 460
Black Lick Road, Gravel Switch, KY 40328, USA.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Batson                              L 39 12 14 N  94 33 16 W
[email-masked]                      Kansas City, USDA Zone 5b
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Under the most controlled conditions, the experimental apparatus will
do exactly as it pleases.