Subject: Re: Young tree trunks white???

From: [email-masked] (Marco_Bleeker)
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 00:11:43

>>I just wanted to get some input on what kind of white paint to put on
>>young tree trunks.  And also is this the best method to protect the tree or
>>should I look into something else? Thanks.
>>-Andy Johnson

>You can use regular latex interior paint.  White paint is the best for
>sunburn.  You might need a plastic protector for weed eaters, animals etc.

  I studied epiphytes once and had an idea to paint tree-trunks white (or any 
other color) in order to determine the rate of shedding of bark for different 
tree species.  It did not come to that, and I don't know if anyone has done 
such research on trees.  But if you're painting trees anyway, it would be 
helpfull to register a 'half-value time': the time it takes till half the 
paint has gone - for a tree species.

  Bye, Marco

---

From: [email-masked] (Ellen Sutter)
Date: 4 May 1995 14:13:55 -0700

Ellen Sutter
        [email-masked]

By the way - what kind of trees are your painting.  If you want to talk
about this situation just call me in the Dept. of Pomology - 2-0925