Subject: african violets

From: [email-masked] (Michelle Mielewski)
Date: 30 May 1995 15:42:32 GMT

sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup...

can anyone tell me the proper procedure for taking care of an  african
violet plant?  my boss has one in her office that's dying and i'd
really like to help revive it.

please reply to my e-mail address and thanks for your time!

--
[email-masked]

"I had a clarinet lesson!" - Frasier

---

From: Gary Poyssick <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Jun 1995 12:04:14 GMT

Needs lots of light -- not direct sunlight, but lots of light. Also can 
probably use a re-potting. Buy a small bag of potting soil specifically 
formulated for African violets. Also buy a small amount of AV food (also 
specific). Repot, move to a bright location, increase the air movement, 
and feed. It will respond. Many people say not to water the leaves 
because this causes spotting, but considering that these are jungle 
plants, I think that in nature the rain falls from the sky, not the 
dirt. You might consider watering the plant by placing it in a pan with 
food-enriched water.

Keep the plant moist -- never let it dry out -- but don't keep it wet. 
the best analogy is a sponge. If it's dry, it's dry. If it's too wet, 
you could squeeze water out of it. If it's damp, you can squeeze and 
feel the water, but only get a drop or two to come out. That's how the 
soil should be kept. -g