Subject: POSTDOCTORAL POS. W/ R. HUSSEY PLANT MOL. BIO.- MOL. NEMATOLOGY

From: [email-masked] (Scott Gold)
Date: 18 May 1995 10:45:58 GMT

Applications are invited for a postdoctoral position in molecular
nematology to study genes encoding stylet secretory proteins produced by
root-knot nematode, a plant parasitic nematode.  Root-knot nematodes inject
proteins into root cells that elicit formation of highly specialized
feeding sites, called giant-cells.  Giant-cells are characterized by being
multinucleate (50-100 nuclei), dense cytoplasm, greatly enlarged, thickened
cell wall, and elevated levels of metabolism.  To understand the
biochemical nature and function of the secretory proteins, we are using
monoclonal antibodies specific for root-knot nematode secretory components
to immunoscreen stage-specific cDNA expression libraries to clone genes
encoding the secretions (see Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology
68:93-101, 1994).  This position will require an innovative, energetic
individual with experience in molecular techniques including screening
libraries, gene cloning, and DNA sequencing.  Experience in nematology is
not essential.  The position is available September 1, 1995.  Interested
candidates should send a curriculum vitae, a brief one page statement
describing experience and research interests, and names and addresses of
three references to Dr. Richard Hussey, Department of Plant Pathology,
University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602-7274.  FAX: (706)542-1262.  E-mail:
[email-masked].  The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity
Employer.