Subject: Maroba - Info Needed

From: Edward Cowling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 10:21:19 +0100

A While ago I bought a ...

'Maroba'
Dieffenbachia seg.

All I have on the card in the pot is 'stand in a light place, not in
direct sunlight. Water & spray regularly. Fertilise once evey 14 days.

I've done all the above, but are there any more detailed do's and don'ts
? It's a sensational loooking plant, and I don;t want to loose it
through doing something stupid.

thanks

---
 -------------------------------------------------------------
| Edward Cowling    KTS Ltd  Guru's of Fibre Optic Telecoms   |
| [email-masked]  Web Site      http://www.kts.co.uk        |
 -------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Helen+Paul <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jun 1996 06:40:22 GMT

>direct sunlight. Water & spray regularly. Fertilise once evey 14 days.

You again! At least you like nice plants.
Having worked in a nursery, I suggest you ask the folks that you bought 
the plant off.  They should know the answer, or they should find out for 
you and themselves.  If you bought it in a supermarket, cheaply?, then 
you are not helping the retail nursery industry.

For "dieffs", keep 'em moist (not wet, and a lot less water in winter) 
and provide good to OK light indoors, not direct sun. You don't need to 
feed every fortnight (unless you own a fertiliser company), every couple 
of months with a general plant food, or twice a year with a Controlled 
Release fertiliser should be adequate.  Dieffs are pretty hardy and 
shouldn't give you too many problems. Scale, mealy bugs or black sooty 
mould may occur, use white oil and/or pyrethrum to control.  A spell 
outside when it is raining (not freezing cold) for a few days (even a 
week or two) will revitalise the poor thing andf then back inside to look 
nice again.

Main things: don't overwater!, don't sit in a saucer of water for days 
and days (it'll drown), feed occasionally, don't worry.

Best wishes,

Paul Kristiansen

Dept. of Natural Resources
Brisbane, Austarlia 

From Henk Beentje Sun Jul  7 14:43:37 EDT 1996
Article: 11386 of bionet.plants
Newsgroups: bionet.plants
Path: newz.oit.unc.edu!concert!rutgers!uwm.edu!news-res.gsl.net!news.gsl.net!nntp.coast.net!oleane!tank.news.pipex.net!pipex!lade.news.pipex.net!pipex!tube.news.pipex.net!pipex!dish.news.pipex.net!pipex!rbgkew.org.uk!usenet
From: Henk Beentje
Subject: Re: 2 species or one?
X-Nntp-Posting-Host: hbeentje-pc
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked] (News Daemon)
Organization: The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, TW9 3AE, England
X-Newsreader: <WinQVT/Net v3.9>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 08:43:08 GMT
Lines: 19

Jennifer & Scott discuss:

>> I am wondering if Rubia tinctoria L. and Rubia tinctorum (L.) are the
>> same species or if they're actually two different species?
>> 
>> Jennifer
>
>Kartesz' 1994 Checklist only includes Rubia tinctoria L. for North America.  Rubia 
>brownei, R. peregrina, R. walteri are all now considered Galium hispidulum.  Since your 
>authority for R. tinctorum has L. in parentheses, there must be another name as the 
>parenthetic L. credits Linneaus for first naming the species, but the author for this 
>change must be included.  My guess is that R. tinctorum (L.) is a mistake.
>
>Scott Ranger

While Mabberley, the Plant Book, has Rubia tinctorum L. Maybe a case of color
vs. colour? Cannot get much madder.

Henk