Subject: Help. My plant is in danger of dying due to transplanting.

From: "R. Daneel Olivaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 18:20:13 -0700

I just transplanted a two foot plant to a larger pot because the old pot 
was far too small.  I am worried that I damaged too many of the roots 
during the process since I had quite a hard time doing the transplanting. 
 What can I do to reduce the shock and keep the plant from dying?

---

From: Melissa Kirkland <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 May 1996 21:48:08 GMT

Gee, uh . . . . What kind of plant I wonder.  

My experience with transplanting has proven to me that reducing 
the stress is a key factor.  Okay, so you damaged your plant's 
roots--I doubt it will die if you do the following:

1)  Prune the plant back so it doesn't have to support so much 
foliage.  You have reduced its ability to take up water and 
nutrients--so hack it back to give it a break.

2)  Keep the soil most for a week or so.  In damaging the roots, 
and as a natural consequence of exposure during transplanting, 
the smallest root hairs have probably self-destructed, so help 
the plant out by not forcing it to work hard for water.

3)  If it normally lives in the sun, keep it in filtered sunlight 
or partial shade for awhile.

Coddle your plant.  It will probably survive.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 23 May 1996 03:17:43 GMT

Read "What kind of advise is that???" below!