Subject: Rhododendron and Pine Trees

From: [email-masked] (Catherine A. Doleans-Dade)
Date: 3 May 1996 19:58:02 GMT

My mother planted last year a beautiful rhododendron near by a pine tree. 
The rhododendron is not doing well. Does anybody know whether the pine 
tree is the cause? Apparently since the neighbors planted the pine tree 10 
years ago many of her nearby plants stopped thriving. By the way, she put 
enough peatmoss and gave the rhododendron enough water.

Catherine Dade

---

From: [email-masked] (BRateaver)
Date: 5 May 1996 11:01:26 -0400

Allelopathy is the topic you seek. Many plants are incompatible if the
root exudates from one will deter the growth of a different plant nearby. 
That is why there are solid forests of pines, for example, or of
Eucalyptus (the perfect example). Salvia is another such plant, and
Jerusalem artichoke.  In the book Organic Method Primer UPDATE , in the
index, there are 42 references to this topic.

E. L. Rice at OKla St.U is the authority

B. Rateaver