Subject: Re: How do I get rid of parrasites?

From: [email-masked] (R5M)
Date: 19 Oct 1995 22:02:05 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Bob Kirk)
writes:

>>Dear Botanists,
You got bugs? You don't need a Botanist, you need an Entomologist

>>I am growing Luffa plants and have noticed small green scaley looking 
>>insects on the undersides of the leaves. Can anyone suggest how to 
>>irradicate these pests without the use of chemical pesticides. It has 
>>been suggested that I rub the affected areas with garlic!
Why use a perfectly good dinner herb when you can probably use soap (I
don't know if you have Safer brand insecticides, but they work well on
such beasties)  If, however, they are scale, and you don't have a whole
acre of Luffa, you should go out with a bottle of Alcohol and Q-tips and
try to get them off that way.

It is the end of the season, and gourds, etc start looking a bit worn and
evil about now, even here in California.  Pumpkin vines fairly disappear
before Hallows, it's no trouble finding them in the feild.  This may just
be the end of the road for your Luffa's and it is time to pull off all the
fruit you can and let them go to compost.

Becky M. 
>>Jason.

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L Roginsky )
Date: 20 Oct 1995 21:10:46 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (R5M) writes: 
>>>Greetigs from the cybernetic entomologist....Always add
>>>detergent to any plant spray. It breaks the surface tension
>>>of the water film thereby coating the entire leaf area. By
>>>the way, the first law of cybernetic entomology is: there is
>>>always one last bug............Cheers.....MLR a.k.a. D_Micro.