Subject: Do water trays under pots raise the humidity around plants?

From: [email-masked] (Bob Batson)
Date: 15 Sep 1995 18:11:59 -0500

Do Water Trays Under Pots Raise Humidity around Plants?

  Not appreciably, unless you put the tray and pot in a container (such
as an aquarium tank) or heat the tray (gently) to promote evaporation.
If you use a container, you can provide an adjustable opening at the top
to regulate the humidity inside (100% humidity when the container is
closed; lower humidity as the opening is increased). A small fan placed
inside the container will aid air circulation.
  Reference: Douglas Kohl (417 6th Ave., N.E., Osseo, MN 55369), "A
Study in Humidity: Douglas Kohl Evaluates the Effectiveness of a Common
Method to Raise Humidity around Orchids Growing in the Home," AMERICAN
ORCHID SOCIETY BULLETIN 63(8), August 1995, 916-917. (American Orchid
Society, Inc., 600 S. Olive Ave., West Palm Beach, FL 33405.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Reprinted with permission from the August 1995 _HortIdeas_. Copyright
1995 by Greg and Pat Williams. HortIdeas is $20 (2nd class mail within
the USA) for one year (12 issues). Single issues are $2.00 in North
America. For more information or a subscription, write: HortIdeas, 460
Black Lick Road, Gravel Switch, KY 40328, USA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Batson                              L 39 12 14 N  94 33 16 W
[email-masked]                      Kansas City, USDA Zone 5b
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Under the most controlled conditions, the experimental apparatus will
do exactly as it pleases.

---

From: [email-masked] (Marjorie Rosen)
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 1995 19:09:26 GMT

Bob Batson ([email-masked]) wrote:
:         Do Water Trays Under Pots Raise Humidity around Plants?

:   Not appreciably, unless you put the tray and pot in a container (such
: as an aquarium tank) or heat the tray (gently) to promote evaporation.

(snipped to conserve time)

How about the high temperatures in the So. Cal. area? Our house runs in 
the high 80's to 90's frequently in the summer (even with air 
conditioning.) Might this qualify as gently heating to promote 
evaporation? Here in So. Cal. our humidity is so low that all our water 
reservoirs need to be refilled at least weekly, more during the summer. I 
used to mist my orchids 2-3 times a day depending on the season.

---

From: [email-masked] (wojcik)
Date: 18 Sep 1995 19:32:47 GMT

Marjorie Rosen ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Bob Batson ([email-masked]) wrote:
: :         Do Water Trays Under Pots Raise Humidity around Plants?

: :   Not appreciably, unless you put the tray and pot in a container (such
: : as an aquarium tank) or heat the tray (gently) to promote evaporation.

: (snipped to conserve time)

: Here in So. Cal. our humidity is so low that all our water 
: reservoirs need to be refilled at least weekly, more during the summer. I 
: used to mist my orchids 2-3 times a day depending on the season.

	This sort of goes along with the original question: Does misting
actually do any good? I say probably not. Depending on the size of the
individual droplets, I contend that misting raises the ambient humidity
around the plant for 1-2 minutes, tops. After that, the water has evaporated
and moved elsewhere. I've never understood the suggestion of misting plants,
except for using a misting bench. A quick spray from a bottle is a waste 
of time and water, IMHO. Any thoughts?

================================================================================
 Al Wojcik                                 |  Ford Motor Company, USA
 e-mail  : [email-masked]      |  I am NOT a spokesperson!

		"The first rule of intelligent tinkering
		 is to save all the pieces."
					- Aldo Leopold
================================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Thompson)
Date: 18 Sep 1995 21:28:52 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Marjorie Rosen) writes:
|> Bob Batson ([email-masked]) wrote:
|> :         Do Water Trays Under Pots Raise Humidity around Plants?
|> 
|> :   Not appreciably, unless you put the tray and pot in a container (such
|> : as an aquarium tank) or heat the tray (gently) to promote evaporation.
|> 
|> (snipped to conserve time)
|> 
|> How about the high temperatures in the So. Cal. area? Our house runs in 
|> the high 80's to 90's frequently in the summer (even with air 
|> conditioning.) Might this qualify as gently heating to promote 
|> evaporation? Here in So. Cal. our humidity is so low that all our water 
|> reservoirs need to be refilled at least weekly, more during the summer. I 
|> used to mist my orchids 2-3 times a day depending on the season.

I didn't read the original article, but...

You can increase the evaporation by an order of magnitude by lining the
saucers/trays with porous rocks.  If you keep the water level below the
top of the rock level, you'll get 10 times the surface area and evaporation.

---

From: Steve Lancaster <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Sep 1995 00:24:54 GMT

To the friends of Kay Klier.. ([email-masked])

Kay is going to be without internet access for a bit.. and she
asked that I let her friends know that "all's well" and that she
will be back soon.

If you have an urgent note you need to get to her, till she
is back on line again, please e-mail it to me, ([email-masked])
and I'll pass it on to her.

She'll be back soon.

Steve

[email-masked]