Subject: Re: Yeast contamination in plant tissue culture

From: [email-masked]
Date: 21 Feb 1996 05:35:44 -0800

Florigene.

Chlotrimazole has been used to eliminate yeast contamination from plant
tissue cultures (see Shields et al. Plant Cell Rep. 3:33-36, 1984). 
Pulsen (Acta Hort. 225:193-197, 1988) reported that chlotrimazole only
worked on one of 2 yeast strains.  Iminooctadine (10ug/ml) controlled both
strains but was toxic at 0.1 ug/ml. 

R. Niedz
USDA, ARS

On 20 Feb 1996, Florigene wrote:

> Dear Cell Biologists:
> Recently we have some problems with yeast comtamination in carnation
> tissue culture. We have tried to use Nystatin to overcome this problem but
> it was unsuccessful. I would appreciate it very much if any one has any
> suggestions or advice for getting rid of yeast contamination in vitro.
> 
> Chin-yi Lu
> Florigene Pty. Ltd.
> 16, Gipps St. Collingwood, Vic 3066 Australia
> Fax: +61-3-9416-1761. Tel: +61-3-9419-9844
> 
>