Subject: Desperately Seeking Miscletoe

From: [email-masked] (Peter J Verrecclua)
Date: 7 Oct 1995 23:39:21 GMT

A friend of mine is in need of a living miscletoe plant for a religious 
ritual.  Does anyone know where he can find one?  Old English Miscletoe 
(viscum album, family loranthoraceae) is prefered but American Miscletoe 
would be OK (phoradendron serotium).  We live in Philadelphia (USA).  If 
anyone has info that would help, please e-mail.  Thanks!

Peter Verrecchia
1343 Lombard St.
Phila., PA 19147

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L Roginsky )
Date: 8 Oct 1995 16:46:02 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked]
(Peter J Verrecclua) writes: 
>>>>Miscletoe is a parasite plant growing on oak trees in a wide
>>>>range of the southern US. Beware that the berries are poisonous.

---

From: [email-masked] (ProfFax)
Date: 9 Oct 1995 09:05:06 -0400

Am curious to know more about the  religious 
ritual that uses mistletoe.

Thanks
ProfFax

---

From: [email-masked] (Gwenne F Lally)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 1995 12:30:21 -0400

> ritual that uses mistletoe.
Mistletoe was revered by Druids because of its close association with the
oak, which they held sacred. It figures in druidic ritual as well as many
folklore practices (which may, themselves, be degraded forms of the
original druidic use). Your best bet is to pursue texts or Internet info
related to the Druids and/or European folklore.

I hope this proves helpful.

-- Gwenne F Lally
[email-masked]

---

From: Cpurvis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 17:19:08 -0400 (EDT)

Instead of looking in Oak trees, look in a couple Hickory trees.  That's 
where I see them.  All the hickories in my yard have mistletoe in them.  
It might occur in oaks also, but not as often.  They may not be as good of 
a host as hickories.