Subject: WANTED: biologists' opinions on Internet information sources

From: [email-masked] (Mark Palmer)
Date: 27 Jul 1995 15:54:52 GMT

APOLOGIES TO ANYONE WHO HAS ALREADY SEEN THIS MESSAGE IN ANOTHER NEWSGROUP

I am a biology graduate now doing an MSc in Information Management at the
University of Sheffield, England, and am doing my dissertation on the 
evaluation of biological information resources on the Internet, i.e. 
finding out what's there and how useful it is to researchers. I would be 
very grateful if any biological researchers could e-mail me with responses 
to the following questions. All responses will be kept anonymous.

1. Do you find any Internet information resources useful for your research?

2. If there are any sources that you find particularly useful, please 
   could you name them and, if possible, give their addresses.

3. What in your experience are the main (a) advantages and (b) disadvantages
   of Internet information resources?

Thankyou in advance for your help.

Mark Palmer
[email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Gandrillon <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jul 1995 10:39:48 GMT

1. Yes

2. http://cuiwww.unige.ch/

http://query4.lycos.cs.cmu.edu/lycos-form.html

http://allserv.rug.ac.be/~pvanosta/welcome.html

http://www.Four11.com/

http://web.urec.fr/france/france.html

http://www.w3.org/hypertext/DataSources/WWW/Servers.html

http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:2555/r_medline.html

http://www.yahoo.com/Science/Biology/

http://expasy.hcuge.ch/

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/srs/srsc

http://golgi.harvard.edu/biopages/journals.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Search/irx.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Recipon/bs_seq.html

http://www.pdb.bnl.gov/cgi-bin/browse

http://kiwi.imgen.bcm.tmc.edu:8088/search-launcher/launcher.html

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/home/papka/ROSS/patscan.html

http://www.atcc.org/catalog.html

http://vflylab.calstatela.edu/edesktop/VirtApps/VflyLab/IntroVflyLab.html

http://biology.queensu.ca/~miseners/vector.html

3. a) access to a number of data that would have been difficult or impossible to access before 
Internet. Technical discussions at the world scale
b) None

Olivier