Subject: Re: Wanted: Info on Neem tree.

From: [email-masked] (Jack H. Pincus)
Date: 1 Nov 1995 00:03:01 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
says...
>
>
>I was hoping someone could send me some info on the neem.  I don't
>want anything involved, just a "Big Dummies Guide to the Neem".
>Basic information.  Also, I would like to know if it is scarce, and if
>it can be cultivated (is that the right word?).
>

The National Academy of Scienses Press published a paperback on the 
subject about three years ago.  It should still be in print.

Jack H. Pincus
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick K. Huckelberry)
Date: 31 Oct 1995 19:31:53 GMT

Thanks.
-- 
Regards, Pat  URL: http://www.grfn.org/~path E-Mail:[email-masked]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"You are only what you are when no one is looking." - Robert C. Edwards

---

From: [email-masked] (Jack H. Pincus)
Date: 1 Nov 1995 00:03:01 GMT

Jack H. Pincus
[email-masked]

---

From: Anonymous IU Student <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Nov 1995 23:46:53 GMT

I don't know if neem can grow  here in the US.. it is apparently doing 
well in Australia, where it has been introduced from India, its land of 
origin.. in India it grows all over the subcontinental peninsula, and 
does better in the drier and hotter areas, as compared to the coastal 
regions. People in India have been using various parts of this tree  
since many thousands of years, it has an amazing range of medicinal 
appl;ications, one can crush the leaves and have the juice which is very 
bitter) and hardly ever fall sick, alternatively, one can drink the 
decoction .. 15 leaves per serving.. I know for sure the juice is a 
potent blood purifier, as I have used it . Baths with neem oil to get 
rid of ticks ... people also use the leaves , dried, as an insect 
repellant, and it does work.. There's a lot of interest  in neem having 
the potential of being used as a biopesticide.. but there's also 
strangely the urge to patent applications, which is absolutely absurd, 
as applications of Azadirachta indica and its allied species and subspp. 
have been around for a long , long time.
I'd like to hear what are your interests regarding neem..