Subject: Re: Roses and Rumours
From: [email-masked] (Lol Maret)
Date: 2 May 1994 09:25:18 -0700
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

On Sun, 1 May 1994, Erica J Bial wrote:

> Date: Sun, 1 May 1994 06:04:47 GMT
> From: Erica J Bial <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Roses and Rumours
> 
> This may be a strange question, but I think it woul dbe nice were It o 
> know the answer.  Please help?
> 
> I have heard a lot of rumours about the "best way" to keepcut roses alive 
> in a vase...  recommendation such as "dissolve an aspirin table tin the 
> water" to "use the little packet that the florist gives you a bit every 
> day" to "absolutely don't use the little packet that the florist gives 
> you." and abunch of other random ideas people seem to have had over the 
> ages on this subject.  My question is multi-fold: 1) What is IN those 
> little packets and what (if anything) does it do? 2) Should these packets 
> be used?  3) Any better recommendations for keeping roses "alive"looking 
> longer?
> 
> many many thanks!
> [email-masked]
> (lowly undergrad extraordinaire)
> 
> 
> 
Hi, in reply to your query about rose care.  The most important thing is 
to allow water to move up the stem.  This means cut the stem on an angle 
witha sharp knife, NOT SCISSORS.  Cutting under water is the best.  Recut 
the roses every couple of days, and give them lots of fresh water.  Remove 
any vegetation 
which will be under the water level in the vase to prevent rotting.  The 
package from the florist contains sugar which nourishes the flower, and 
usually something to slow down rooting. You should use these- that's why 
the florist's give them to you. Prvide the flowers with 
light, but not direct sun.  Cooler nighttime temps will prolong life too.
Good Luck!  P.S.  I just had a doz roses that I got in the bargin bin 
which lasted me > 1 week.