Subject: Re: lichen on roof shingles
From: [email-masked] (Mark J. Hovenden)
Date: Fri, 06 May 1994 16:44:20 +1000
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

Why not leave it there?  It isn't really all that disfiguring is it?  And
if you have asphalt tiles the lichens would have to be there for a very
long time to do any damage.  And they look nice growing on a roof.  At
least they show that the air is quite clear of pollutants where you live.

But, you can argue with some people until you're blue in the face and they
want what they want, so IF you decide that you just can't live with lichens
on your roof then use a moderate solution of Copper Sulphate (CuSO4).  It
won't get rid of them instantaneously but it will kill them pretty quick
smart.  Don't use some horrible pesticide.

-- 
Mark J. Hovenden                           ph:  +61 02 202371
Dept Plant Science                         FAX: +61 02 202371
University of Tasmania                     [email-masked]
GPO Box 252C
Hobart TAS 7001
Australia