Subject: Re: Leaf disc el., glyceraldehyde + photorespiration
From: [email-masked] (P.A. Lopez-Valencia)
Date: 7 May 1994 13:21:14 -0400
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

1.	First you question obout photorespiration inhibition and glyceraldehide.
	If I remember correctly (I am no biochemist), glyceraldehyde competes
	for active sites with the enzime resposible for the photorespiration
	mechanism. From an evolutionary perspective it seems that 
	photorespiration is adaptive under high CO2, high light conditions
	as it protects plant tissue from the peroxyde rradicals produced
	by Photo System II in the tylacoids. Of course this entirely open
	to discussion and especulation. To know more read Plant Physiology
	Third Edition by Salisbury and Ross, the best introductory text to
	plant physiology. 

2.	The transient change of oxygen evolution  after one minute of high l
	light exposure is a clear case os photoinhibition. Instead of
	telling you what it is, I will point that one of the most active
	professionals in this field is Bob Pearcey of University of California
	at Davis. You will find all the papers he and his collaborators 
	(including my professor ;-)) have published in the last 4-5 years.
	Check the Science Index.

Cheers,

Pedro

A
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
	exposure