Subject: Rf: Future vegetation change in Uk by Global Warming. Any id
From: LOGAND <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 May 1994 17:47:01 +0100
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

Kei wrote:

>been  looking  for the appropiate things for  quite  a  long  time.
>Unfortunately,  only  little  information  could  be  found.   Can
>anyone  give  me  some ideas such as rise  of  sea  level,  alien
>plants,  agricultural, soil or weather changes.   Just  rough
>idea will help!

What about the sudden success of tropical root parasites, ie. Striga spp. (ok - 
pet subject, I admit it), would they attack agriculturally important Gramminae 
ie. wheat and barely and would the results be as devastating as their effect on 
maize in North America after their accidental introduction in the 1950's. They 
have since cost millions of dollars of damage - maize is very susceptible likely
due to its South America origins - plant which have presumably co-evolved with 
Striga in its natural Africa generally cope much better. However, would the 
British Gramminae survive!

DCL
Montpellier
FRANCE