Subject: Re: Cypripedium "reproduction"
From: [email-masked] (Howie Brounstein)
Date: 12 May 1994 07:33:03 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

Although one may grow orchids from seeds if certain mysterious conditions
are met, let us remember that one of the major reasons orhids are
disappearing in North America is the unscrupulous harvester. I have
just this week heard of a man at the local Forest Service Ranger Station
trying to find exact locations of a Cypripediums. They might still
exist here in Central Oregon (USA) but if so , in very small frgmented
populations.

I also, just this week, got a plant list from the 60's that includes
a Cyprpedium in a local area, but none of my plant lists from the last
10 years in the same spot show this plant.

Certainly orchids are mysterious, but with the difficulty in growing
them, all nursury orchids that could've been stolen from our public
lands should be treated with suspicion.

Howie Brounstein
C&W Herbs

[email-masked]