Subject: Re: Sparkling clean rotovap baths!
From: [email-masked] (Peter Lundberg)
Date: 16 May 1994 09:37:18 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.chem,bionet.plants

Copper ions (copper is a heavy metal) are more or less toxic to all
living creatures NOT only bacteria. For example: HOT water-pipes (more
so than cold) made from copper releases copper ions into the water.
Sort of ok for adults, but gives little babies diarrhoea! Thus, use
ONLY cold water for preparing food. Old pots and pans made from copper
were always coated with tin on the inside. Same reason.

Take care!

Peter

=======================================================
Peter Lundberg               Ph. (+46-90) 16 59 73
Physical Chemistry           Fax. (+46-90) 16 77 79
U of Umea                    [email-masked]
S-901 87 Umea, Sweden
=======================================================
    "To say yes or no with full certainty requires
         considerable effort" (Pythagoras)