Subject: Re: bamboo
From: [email-masked] (camden)
Date: 17 May 1994 19:44:26 -0400
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

camden ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I called myself posting a question on bamboo several days ago and 
: nothing happened. Is this a moderated group or did I botch the sending?

: Will try again:

: I have bamboo growing between my back fence and the paved alley. Do not 
: know the species. Growing about ten years. Location in piedmont North 
: Carolina. Just sprang up probably from a little ways up the alley. My 
: question. Is it true that bamboo blooms after many years and then dies? 
: With a guess at the species possibilities,  when is that likely to happen? 
: Are there any signs? What time of the year? What do the blooms look like? 
: How long do they last? 

: Thanks again.

: [email-masked]
:  

Thanks to those that responded by e-mail, all but one suggesting I 
withdraw from this board and direct by "horticultural" questions to 
rec.gardening.

So, what's so horticultural (non scientific) about a bamboo blooming 
question? My understanding was that it was area not all that nailed down 
with forced blooming only recently achieved. 

I had hoped some expert would toss off a few sentences that would be of 
interest and go beyond reports in New York Times, Wall Street Journal, 
and Scientific American over the last few years. 

OK :-)

[email-masked]