Subject: Re: Aural photography
From: [email-masked] (James J. Lippard)
Date: 19 May 1994 09:01 MST
Newsgroups: talk.religion.newage,sci.engr.lighting,alt.meditation,sci.skeptic,sci.med.psychobiology,bionet.plants,bionet.general,alt.binaries.pictures.d,alt.devilbunnies

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Rohan Hawthorne 61-89-895442) writes...
:I am looking for any information on Aural photography.  I know they have
:an official name (apparently named after the guy/girl who first took them),
:but the name eludes me.  Aural photographs, for those that know even less
:than I do, are photographs that show up your apparent aura. (That was hard
:to guess wasn't it).

Kirlian photography.

:I am looking specifically for (but anything will do) information concerning:
: 
:  *  The official name for this photographic technique
:  *  How to to take these photos
:  *  What the parapsychologists say causes the 'aura'
:  *  What the biological scientists say...
:  *  What the newage people say...
:  *  Where can I get a few examples from (gif's, etc.)
:  *  Where I can get any on-line documentation
:  *  Was there any investigation into the matter, what happened to
:	 the investigation.. etc.

It's not the biologists who have the relevant expertise, but the
physicists.  You can get nice Kirlian photographs of auras around
non-biological objects, such as coins, washers, and paper clips. See

   Arleen J. Watkins and William S. Bickel, "A Study of the Kirlian
      Effect," _Skeptical Inquirer_ vol. 10, no. 3, Spring 1986,
      pp. 244-257.
   Arleen J. Watkins and William S. Bickel, "The Kirlian Technique:
      Controlling the Wild Cards," _Skeptical Inquirer_ vol. 13,
      no. 2, Winter 1989, pp. 172-184. 

All of your questions are answered in those two articles.

Jim Lippard              [email-masked]
Dept. of Philosophy      [email-masked]
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721