Subject: Re: Leaf Area meter
From: [email-masked]
Date: 21 May 94 14:18:54 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

From : Eamonn Mc Gowran 
at : Dublin City UNiversity 
     Ireland
Email [email-masked]

Re Leaf Area 

Oh Dear you are on to a nasty one ther however help is on hand 
I have recently studied leaf area in relation to a marker formature versus 
juvenile status in oak cultures. I found that removing leafs and
photocopying them ann then rather than weigh them subject them to image
analysis. with this method I was able to calculate the area,the length, the
perimeter length the breath and also obtain a mathematical number for the
shape. I found the system extremely useful for a large number number of leaf
materail (I analysed about 200 leaf samples) in approx 3 hours .
The equipment was sited at University College Dublin in Ireland  and was
supplied bt CAMBRIDGE SCIENTIFIC.  It consists of a Video camera which captures
the image and a software package analyses the image.I 'll get further details
on the system on Monday and Post it to the NET 

Eamonn Mg Gowran