Subject: U.S. Barley Crop
From: [email-masked] (Scott E. Heisel)
Date: 9 Jun 1994 14:27:08 -0500
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

BARLEY CROP REPORT
NOTE:  The following report is based on Crop-Weather reports released by State
and Federal
agencies.  Pertinent information has been abstracted by AMBA
Report for the Week Ending:    June 5, 1994
NORTH DAKOTA
        Temperatures averaged 3o above normal in the northeast and east
central districts and
near normal in most other areas.  Precipitation ranged from 0.04" in the
southeast to 0.59" in the
northwest.  Topsoil moisture levels fell below average.  However, subsoil
conditions remain well
above last year and the 5-year average.  Broadleaf and wild oat spraying were
35% and 52%
complete, respectively.  Fourteen percent of the barley crop was in the boot
stage.  This is near
last year's level of 16% and below the average of 22%.  The crop's condition
declined slightly to
11% excellent, 76% good, 12% fair, and 1% poor.
MINNESOTA
        Temperatures in the northwest averaged 3o to 4o above normal for the
week.
Precipitation totals in the region ranged from 0.12" at Hallock to 0.53" at
Moorhead.  Topsoil
moisture conditions declined to 50% adequate and 50% short or very short. 
Some small grains
replanted due to soil crusting.  The barley crop was 28% jointing, near last
year's 27% and 30%
on average.  The condition was rated 8% excellent, 73% good, 13% fair, and 6%
poor.
SOUTH DAKOTA
         Temperatures in northeast and north central South Dakota averaged
near normal.
Precipitation in the was variable with totals ranging from 1.58" at Watertown
to none at
Mobridge.  Moisture was adequate to surplus for 32% of the state's topsoil and
69% of the
subsoil.  Calmer winds allowed for herbicide spraying progress, yet weeds were
a problem in
some areas that were too dry to activate the herbicides.  Twenty-one percent
of the barley crop
was in the boot, compared to 8% last year and 28% on average.  The condition
of the crop
declined to 8% excellent 65% good, 26% fair, and 1% poor.
IDAHO
        Precipitation fell across Idaho, with most stations in the east and
north reporting greater
than average totals.  Temperatures averaged above normal in most growing
areas.  Soil
moisture was 79% adequate. Irrigation water supplies decreased to 4% excellent
, 49% good,
28% fair, 17% poor and 2% very poor.  Mormon crickets and grasshoppers causing
problems in
some areas of south central Idaho.  The barley crop was 4% headed, 11% booted
and 45%
jointed.  The condition of the crop was reported as 9% excellent, 66% good,
24% fair, and 1%
poor.
MONTANA
        Temperatures were near normal and precipitation fell across the state.
 Rainfall totals
ranged from an average of 0.7" in the west to 0.2" in hte southeast and south
central districts.
Soil moisture supplys remained at last week's levels.  Topsoil moisture was
rated 80% adequate
to surplus.  Emergence of the barley crop progressed to 91%, ahead of 83% last
year and the
89-93 average of 80%.  The condition of the crop was reported as 25% excellent
, 57% good,
17% fair, and 1% poor.
COLORADO
        Temperatures averaged several degrees above normal across the state. 
Precipitation
was widespread, but amounts varied greatly.  The Rio Grande river basin
reported mostly light
totals.  Soil moisture was 1% surplus, 63% adequate, 30% short, and 6% very
short.  The spring
barley crop was 18% headed.  This is near last year's 16% and the average. 
The condition of
the crop improved to 7% excellent, 70% good, 20% fair, 2% poor, and 1% very
poor.
WASHINGTON
        Temperatures were near normal for most of the state. Little precitatio
n fell east of the
Cascades with the notable exception of Colville which reported 0.8".  Soil
moisture was 52%
adequate and 48% short.  Irrigation water supplies were 75% adequate and 25%
short.  Dryland
grains stressed, particullally in Douglas, Garfield and Whitman Counties. 
Sixty-three percent of
the balrey crop headed, compared to average of 39%.  Ninety-nine percnet of
irrigated barley in
good condition, while only 24% of dryland barley rated good.
 
                This     Last      Last    5-Year                             
 This     Last      Last    5-Year
                Week  Week    Year     Avg.                         Week  Week
   Year     Avg.
Colorado                                        North Dakota                  
         
     Headed     18%     Na      16%     19%          Emerged    95%     84%   
 99%     97%
Idaho                                                Jointing   14%     4%    
 16%     22%
     Emerged    98%     96%     85%     93%     Oregon                        
 
     Jointing   60%     36%     Na      Na           Seeded     95%     90%   
 98%     97%
     Booted     15%     5%      Na      Na      South Dakota                  
         
Minnesota                                            Boot       21%     5%    
 8%      28%
     Jointing   28%     17%     27%     30%     Washington                    
         
Montana                                              Headed     63%     35%   
 17%     39%
     Emerged    91%     80%     83%     80%     Wyoming                       
         
                                                     Emerged    96%     91%   
 82%     92%
                
                                    V. PoorPoor Fair Good Excel
Colorado            This week   1%      2%      20%     70%     7%
Colorado            Last week   0%      5%      31%     49%     15%
Idaho               This week   0%      1%      24%     66%     9%
Minnesota           This week   0%      6%      13%     73%     8%
Minnesota           Last week   0%      0%      12%     75%     13%
Montana             This week   0%      1%      17%     57%     25%
Montana             Last week   0%      1%      16%     53%     30%
North Dakota        This week   0%      1%      12%     76%     11%
North Dakota        Last week   0%      0%      10%     75%     15%
South Dakota        This week   0%      1%      26%     65%     8%
South Dakota        Last week   0%      2%      9%      78%     11%
Wash.  Dryland      This week   9%      15%     52%     24%     0%
Wash.  Dryland      Last week   0%      22%     38%     40%     0%
Wash.  Irrigated    This week   0%      0%      1%      99%     1%
Wash.  Irrigated    Last week   0%      0%      0%      100% 1%
 ###

###