Subject: Need plant ecology, taxonomy texts
From: [email-masked] (Bill Williams)
Date: 14 Jun 1994 13:21:47 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.bio.ecology,bionet.plants

I'm looking for an ecology text and a taxonomy text for my field botany
course on Maryland plants.  I've used Barbour, Burke, and Pitts and
liked it -- do others like it as well? How about taxonomy texts:  the
course is not really a taxonomy course, rather a field identification
and ecology course with a taxonomic component.  I'm asking the students
to by Brown and Brown (the Maryland flora), but I'd like to have
something that taught at least some of the principles of taxonomy and
systemmatics.  Long ago I had a little paperbook called "how to
identify plants," which described (VERY briefly)  various kinds of
classification systems but spent most of its time on terminology,
collecting techniques, and identification and key use.

Please send recommendations via E-mail; I'll summarize to the
newsgroups if interest warrants.

_______________________________
Bill Williams
[email-masked]
Dept. of Biology
St. Mary's College of Maryland