Subject: UNSUBSCRIBING, BIOSCI ARCHIVES, ADDRESS DATABASE & BIOSCI FAQ
From: kristoff (David Kristofferson)
Date: 23 Jun 1994 02:00:21 -0700
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

Four important items follow: How to cancel e-mail subscriptions to
BIOSCI newsgroups, BIOSCI archive searching, the BIOSCI FAQ, and the
BIOSCI User Address Directory form.  If you have not yet listed
yourself in our BIOSCI user directory, please take a few minutes to
complete and return the form below.  If your personal information has
changed since you listed yourself, please send us a complete new
updated form.  We can not make manual revisions to existing entries.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager

				[email-masked]

	 **** How to cancel a BIOSCI e-mail subscription ****

If you want to cancel your e-mail subscription to this group, 
PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR UNSUBSCRIBE REQUEST TO THE NEWSGROUP ADDRESS
(NOR REPLY TO A MESSAGE POSTED TO THE NEWSGROUP)!!!

This would send your request to all of the readers of the newsgroup,
but it might still not be seen by the BIOSCI staff - thus you would
annoy many people and possibly not accomplish your goal anyway.

IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN THE AMERICAS OR PACIFIC RIM COUNTRIES, please
send a message to

[email-masked]

Instructions will be returned automatically, so the contents of your
message do not matter.

IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN EUROPE, AFRICA OR CENTRAL ASIA, please send a
message to

[email-masked]

containing the word 

help

in the body of the message to retrieve e-mail server instructions.
Any text placed on the Subject: line of your message will be ignored,
so be sure to put the "help" command in the body of the message.

If you need personal assistance, a BIOSCI staff member can be
contacted at either of the following addresses.  Please contact the
address designated for your location.

Support Address                      Location
---------------                      --------
[email-masked]               Europe, Africa, and Central Asia
[email-masked]              Americas and the Pacific Rim

		 **** SEARCHING BIOSCI ARCHIVES ****

The easiest way to search the BIOSCI archives is to use gopher
software and connect over the Internet to net.bio.net, the U.S. BIOSCI
computer.  We maintain three indexes which are searchable from the
main gopher menu on net.bio.net: (1) an index of all BIOSCI postings;
(2) an index of individual journal article references from the Table
of Contents postings on the BIO-JOURNALS newsgroup; and (3) an index
of BIOSCI users including regular mail and e-mail addresses, phone/FAX
numbers, research interests, and newsgroup participation.

E-mail users can search the BIOSCI archives by using our waismail
e-mail server.  For instructions send the message

help

to [email-masked].  Leave the Subject: line blank (anything
entered on the Subject: line is ignored).

WAIS software can also be used to search the archives as described in
the BIOSCI FAQ (see below).

       **** BIOSCI FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ) SHEET ****

New users of BIOSCI/bionet may want to read the "Frequently Asked
Questions" or "FAQ" sheet for BIOSCI.  The FAQ provides details on how
to participate in these forums and is available for anonymous FTP from
net.bio.net [134.172.2.69] in pub/BIOSCI/doc/biosci.FAQ or for
retrieval by gopher to net.bio.net, port 70.  It may also be requested
by sending the command

info faq

in the body of an e-mail message to the Internet address
[email-masked].  Please do not enter the info faq command
on the Subject: line of your message since the e-mail server ignores
text on the Subject: line.

The FAQ is also posted on the first of each month to the newsgroup
BIONEWS/bionet.announce immediately following the posting of the
BIOSCI information sheet.

	       **** BIOSCI USER ADDRESS DIRECTORY ****

Please take this opportunity to add your name and address information
to the BIOSCI User Address Database if you have not already done so.

Below is the address form that we would like each reader of the
BIOSCI/bionet newsgroups to complete and return if you would like to
be listed in our database.  The database serves as a directory that
enables biologists, who are currently using (or even just reading) the
BIOSCI newsgroups, to look up e-mail addresses and other information
about our users.

The address database is reindexed nightly for WAIS, waismail, and
gopher access.  If you have access to gopher, connect to net.bio.net
to search the database.  If you have access to WAIS, please use our
WAIS source biologists-addresses.src.  If you are not on the Internet,
please use our waismail server (send the word "help" to
[email-masked] to get instructions; any text on the Subject:
line of your message will be ignored, so put the help command in the
body of the mail message.).

Please carefully follow the instructions for completing the form
below and return it to either of the following two addresses
(whichever is more convenient for you).  Thanks in advance for taking
the time to complete and return the form.

Addresses for returning forms         Location        Network
-----------------------------         --------        -------
[email-masked]                   U.S.A.          Internet/BITNET
[email-masked]               U.K.            JANET

	     MAKING SURE THAT YOUR INFORMATION IS CURRENT

This notice will be mailed bimonthly to each newsgroup.  You should
check your database entry from time-to-time to see if your address
information is still up-to-date.

		  Using Gopher to complete the form
                  ---------------------------------

If you don't want to use a text editor, you can also use Dan
Jacobson's gopher site to fill out the address database form as
follows.  Otherwise skip this section on gopher and proceed to the
instructions for filling out the form below.

> To add yourself to the database just point your
> gopher client at merlot.gdb.org and select the following:
> 
> -->  15. Searching For Biologists/
> 
>  -->  9.  E-mail Addresses of Biosci-Bionet Users/
> 
>   -->  1.  Add (or Correct) Your Address to the BIOSCI User Address
> Data..
> 
> 
> And fill out the form.

or Rob Harper's gopher site in Europe as follows:

> Europeans can point their gopher client at gopher.csc.fi and add their
> information to the database. All entries will be mailed directly to
> Dave for incorporation in a wais source.
> 
> The path to the questionare is as follows.
> 
>    ---> 10. Finnish EMBnet BioBox/
> 
>         ---> 8.  FAQ Files/
> 
>                               FAQ Files
> 
>       1.  EMBnet: Information.
>       2.  EMBnet: Internet resources guide.
>       3.  A Biologist's Guide to Internet Resources/
>       4.  All FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) Searches and Archives/
>   --->5.  Bionauts Address Database (questionaire) <TEL>

	    IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Please enter all responses after the : on each line, leaving one (1)
blank space after the : (i.e., before the start of your text).

Please do NOT extend your responses past the end of each line (80
characters).

PLEASE DO NOT alter any of the field identifiers such as "first name: ". 
If you have nothing to enter after a field identifier, PLEASE LEAVE IT
- do not delete it even if there is no data on the line in question.

Several lines are provided at the end of the form for comments, but,
please adhere to the line length restriction.

On the date: line, please enter the date in the DD-MM-YY format, e.g.,
15-05-93 for 15 May 1993.  This line will tell others when the
information was last updated.  Please be sure to include the 0's for
single digit days or months, e.g., 15-05-93, not 15-5-93.

Note that the "e-mail network: " line below is for specifying, e.g.,
"Internet," "BITNET," "EARN," "JANET," or whatever other network that
your computer may be on.

If you are uncertain about any field, please feel free to leave it
blank, but please DO NOT DELETE the field identifier from the form!

In the first field below, "New information or Update ...", please
enter "N" if this is the first time that you have registered in the
directory or "U" if you are correcting a listing that you sent to us
previously.

The comment: lines may be used for anything that you like but PLEASE
DO NOT DELETE THEM FROM THE FORM OR ALTER THEM.  One suggested use is
to list the names of the newsgroups in which you participate.  Please
use the MAILING LIST name (see below - the latest version of the list
can be requested from [email-masked]) instead of the USENET name
even if you don't participate by e-mail.  WAIS might get confused by
the periods in the USENET names.  This allows one to retrieve via WAIS
or waismail the list of participants in a particular group.

For example:

comment: ARABIDOPSIS PLANT-BIOLOGY BIONEWS

On the comment: lines
use these names below ---- NOT the USENET names below

MAILING LIST NAME          USENET Newsgroup Name
-----------------          ---------------------
ACEDB-SOFT                 bionet.software.acedb
AGEING                     bionet.molbio.ageing
AGROFORESTRY               bionet.agroforestry
ARABIDOPSIS                bionet.genome.arabidopsis
BIOFORUM                   bionet.general
BIO-INFORMATION-THEORY     bionet.info-theory
BIONAUTS                   bionet.users.addresses
BIONEWS                    bionet.announce
BIO-JOURNALS               bionet.journals.contents
BIO-MATRIX                 bionet.molbio.bio-matrix
BIOPHYSICAL-SOCIETY        bionet.prof-society.biophysics
BIOPHYSICS                 bionet.biophysics
BIO-SOFTWARE               bionet.software
BIOTHERMOKINETICS          bionet.metabolic-reg
CELL-BIOLOGY               bionet.cellbiol
CHLAMYDOMONAS              bionet.chlamydomonas
CHROMOSOMES                bionet.genome.chromosomes
COMPUTATIONAL-BIOLOGY      bionet.biology.computational
CYTONET                    bionet.cellbiol.cytonet
DROSOPHILA                 bionet.drosophila
EMBL-DATABANK              bionet.molbio.embldatabank
EMPLOYMENT                 bionet.jobs
GDB                        bionet.molbio.gdb
GENBANK-BB                 bionet.molbio.genbank
GENETIC-LINKAGE            bionet.molbio.gene-linkage
GRASSES-SCIENCE            bionet.biology.grasses
HIV-MOLECULAR-BIOLOGY      bionet.molbio.hiv
HUMAN-GENOME-PROGRAM       bionet.molbio.genome-program
IMMUNOLOGY                 bionet.immunology
INFO-GCG                   bionet.software.gcg
JOURNAL-NOTES              bionet.journals.note
METHODS-AND-REAGENTS       bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
MOLECULAR-EVOLUTION        bionet.molbio.evolution
MYCOLOGY                   bionet.mycology
NEUROSCIENCE               bionet.neuroscience
N2-FIXATION                bionet.biology.n2-fixation
PARASITOLOGY               bionet.parasitology
PHOTOSYNTHESIS             bionet.photosynthesis
PLANT-BIOLOGY              bionet.plants
POPULATION-BIOLOGY         bionet.population-bio
PROTEIN-ANALYSIS           bionet.molbio.proteins
PROTEIN-CRYSTALLOGRAPHY    bionet.xtallography
PROTISTA                   bionet.protista
RAPD                       bionet.molbio.rapd
SCIENCE-RESOURCES          bionet.sci-resources
STRUCTURAL-NMR             bionet.structural-nmr
TROPICAL-BIOLOGY           bionet.biology.tropical
VIROLOGY                   bionet.virology
WOMEN-IN-BIOLOGY           bionet.women-in-bio
YEAST                      bionet.molbio.yeast

Listing newsgroups on the comment: line is optional, of course.

Thanks again for your cooperation!

--------------- please cut here and return portion below ---------------

New information or Update to old record (enter N or U): 
date (DD-MM-YY): 
first name: 
middle initial: 
family name: 
job title: 
e-mail address: 
e-mail network: 
phone number: 
FAX number: 
institution: 
address1: 
address2: 
address3: 
city: 
state/province: 
country: 
postal code: 
research interest: 
research interest: 
comment: 
comment: 
comment: 
comment: 
comment: