Subject: Re: Ficus tree that drips sap
From: [email-masked] (Jason Fiering)
Date: 25 Jun 1994 19:41:26 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Joseph  
Placek  {x68353 CF/ENG}) writes:
> Hello
> 
> I have a Ficus tree that drips sap.  Seems like the ones in the malls  
don't do this.
> Does anyone know what the problem might be?
> 

I have not heard of a ficus (benjamina -- the mall type) dripping sap,  
except when cut.  Perhaps your tree is infested with scale.  Scale is a  
pest that leaves sticky residue all over the tree and surroundings.  You  
can identify it by the dark brown "warts" on younger branches or by  
spotting the little critters themselves on fresh growth.  If you think  
this is the problem, write back and I will give you a remedy that worked  
on my ficus.
--
  Jason Fiering						1-919-660-2500
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics		[email-masked]
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305, USA