Subject: Re: Poison hemlock vs. Queen Anne's lace
From: [email-masked] (Ken A Ursic)
Date: 6 Jul 1994 18:59:32 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

[email-masked] ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Please help me to identify some plants in my yeard which I think are 
: poisonous...

: I live in Northern California.  The plants start out looking like carrot 
: tops, with purple spots on the stem, and even a carrot-like root.  They 
: grow into tall plants with a more woody stem (still with purple spots) 
: with tufts of tiny white flowers.  The flowers are in small bunches, as 
: opposed to a large bunch at the end of the twig.

: I heard a "radio naturalist" describe the carrot-like plants with purple 
: spotted stems as poison hemlock.  I also know that Queen Anne's lace is 
: known as "wild carrot".  I would like to know which plant is in my yard. 
: And by the way, is QA lace toxic?

: Thanks in advance.  I apologize profusely if this is a FAQ.

: vandy
Poison Hemlock has hollow stems, and purple spots. A lot of kids get 
poisoned using the stems as pea shooters.You probably want to get rid of 
it if there are kids around. Whatever you do be cautious.
KEN
                             (#########)  Pretty cool!
                            (#########)       /
                           (#########)       /
                          (#########)       /
            __&__        (#########))
           /     \      (#########) |\/\/\/|  /\ /\  /\             /
          |       |    (#########)  |      |  | V  \/  \---.  .----/  \----.
          |  (o)(o)     (o)(o)(##)  |      |   \_        /     \          /
          C   .---_)  ,_C     (##)  | (o)(o)    (o)(o)  <__. .--\ (o)(o) /__.
           | |.___|  /____,   (##)  C      _)  _C         /   \     ()     /
           |  \__/     \     (#)     | ,___|  /____,   )  \    >   (C_)   <
           /_____\      |    |       |   /      \     /----'  /___\____/___
          /_____/ \     OOOOOO      /____\       ooooo           /|    |
         /         \   /      \    /      \     /     \           |    |
Ken Ursic <[email-masked]>
Cliff Ecology Research Group
Dept. of Botany, University of Guelph        
Guelph, Ontario, CANADA