Subject: Re: Water Culture
From: [email-masked] (Gus Trautweiler)
Date: 11 Jul 1994 16:20:04 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:

:Q Hi!
:Q 	
-SNIP-
:Q 	
:Q Now, I am wondering, how should a cutting be maintained? Exposed to the 
:Q light or no? 

Indirect light would be fine.

:Q Should it go into a nutrient solution right off? 

Cuttings, 1/8 Hoaglands solution or less.

:Q What sort 
:Q of a nutrient solution should I put it into?

Hoaglands solution.

:Q 	
:Q The books I have are pretty out of date, they give me conflicting answers 
:Q about starting and maintaining a cutting and what I should use for a 
:Q nutrient solution..

These books are probably fine.   Hoaglands solution has been a classic since
the 50s.
:Q 	
:Q Another question I have, for once I have something really growing in a 
:Q nutrient solution, is should I move the solution with say a fishtank pump?
:Q It would seem better, IMHO, to just use a simple airtank pump to move the 
:Q solution throughout the roots as to provide better nutrition.

The pump is to add O2 to the solution, not to move the solution.

:Q 	
:Q Thanks in advance for your help!
:Q 	

#######################*      *##*         *##*       *##*           *##*
Gus Trautweiler  |  |  | #  # |  |  #   #  |  | #   # |  |  #     #  |  |
Plant & Soil Science Dept: Biotechnology|  |  | | # | |  |  |  #  |  |  |
University of Massachusetts # |  |  #   #  |  | #   # |  |  #     #  |  |
[email-masked]   *##*      *##*         *##*       *##*           *##*