Subject: Re: Control of Posion Ivy
From: [email-masked] (Mike Griggs)
Date: 16 Jul 1994 01:55:28 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] wrote:

> In Article <[email-masked]> "[email-masked] 
> (Christopher Kashinath Patil)" says:

some snipage

> Low intensity groundfires seem to be historically common in many woodland
> communities in the US.  Their exclusion by European settlement has allowed
> the introduction of many brushy species rarely seen in the virgin forests.  
> Posion ivy seems to be one.  Returning the fire to the forest restores the
> original control.  I don't know if such fires occurred in your area  -- but
> they did in many areas that never would seem to allow them.  They were set
> by Native Americans during dry weather in late fall or early winter to open
> the woods for easier travel and hunting.  This fire time is still called 
> Indian Summer.
>  
> Controlled burning requires some expertise and training to perform safely,
> but is required only every few years, and results in a much more open and
> friendly (to humans) environment.  
>  
Guess I would just interject that if you or neighbors inhale the burnt
poison ivy smoke they will be in for the worst case of poison ivy where
cala$ will not help.  I have also met people who try and burn sumac with
similar reaction.  Burning can volitilize the oils (much like smoking) and
can cause severe reperatory inflamation.  The only worse story I have ever
heard is the kid who ate some leaves of poison ivy cuz he heard that this
would protect him from ever getting it again.  Yes that was me..  I
subscribe to very judicious use of round-up on cut vine and only in high
use areas otherwise-----------------leaflets three let it be!!!