Subject: Report Announcement
From: [email-masked] (Lee Harding)
Date: 15 Jul 1994 15:47:35 -0700
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

Author:	Lee Harding                   
Date:	15-Jul-1994
Posted-date: 15-Jul-1994
Subject: Report Announcement                                                     

ENVIRONMENT CANADA RELEASES REPORT ON BIODIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA

The federal Department of Environment released, in April, 1994, a report 
titled, "Biodiversity in British Columbia: Our Changing Environment."  
Consisting of 425 pages in 30 chapters, the report is a collaboration of 
some 170 of British Columbia's top specialists in various fields of 
biodiversity.  It begins by establishing a philosophical context on the 
importance of conserving systems by Dr. J. Stan Rowe, Professor Emeritus, 
University of Saskatoon, now living in New Denver, B.C., and ends with a 
discussion of the ethics of land use by Mr. Robert F. Harrington, winner 
of the 1991 award from the Premier of British Columbia for Environmental 
Educator of the Year.  In between are chapters on classification of 
rarity and determination of conservation status; chapters on rare and 
endangered species of all taxa in the province for which inventories are 
available; a chapter on exotic species in freshwater, terrestrial and 
marine environments; detailed examinations of existing and potential 
threats to B.C.s forest, grassland, marine and urban ecosystems; chapters 
on the possible effects of climate change and tropical deforestaton on 
the ecosystems of British Columbia; and chapters on protected area 
programs in the province.  A final chapter synthesizes conclusions and 
recommendations of the preceding chapters.

The purpose of the report is to scope the issue of biodiversity in the 
context of the United Nations Convention on Biodiversity and the 
development of Canadian and British Columbia strategies on biodiversity.  
It provides a reference for people working to conserve biodiversity, and 
an analysis of the challenges facing conservation of biodiversity in this 
province.  The intended audiences are scientists, environmental and 
resource managers, and the educated/interested public.

The report may be ordered from University of British Columbia Press.  
Send $29.95 plus $4.00 for shipping to: UBC Press, University of British 
Columbia, 6344 Memorial Road, Vancouver, B.C. Canada V6T 1Z2.  For 
Canadian orders add 7% GST on total order, including shipping.  UBC 
Press's GST registration number is R108161779.  For orders from outside 
Canada, prices are in U.S. dollars.  Orders may be telephoned to (604) 
822-5959 or FAXed to 1-800-668-0821.

Extended summaries are available from Environment Canada in French and 
English.  For more information:

Lee Harding
Head, Ecosystem Health
Canadian Wildlife Service
P.O. Box 340
Delta, British Columbia
Canada V4K 3Y3

Phone: (604) 946-8546
FAX: (604) 946-7022
EMail: [email-masked]

To Distribution List:

"[email-masked]"@AESUX1@MRGATE,
"[email-masked]"@AESUX1@MRGATE,
"huh.harvard.edu"@AESUX1@MRGATE,
"[email-masked]"@AESUX1@MRGATE,
"[email-masked]"@AESUX1@MRGATE,
"[email-masked]"@AESUX1@MRGATE,
"[email-masked]"@AESUX1@MRGATE,
"[email-masked]"@AESUX1@MRGATE,
"[email-masked]"@AESUX1@MRGATE,
"[email-masked]"@AESUX1@MRGATE,
"[email-masked]"@AESUX1@MRGATE,
"[email-masked]"@AESUX1@MRGATE,
"[email-masked]"@AESUX1@MRGATE,
"[email-masked]"@AESUX1@MRGATE