Subject: John R. Laughnan 1919 - 1994
From: [email-masked] (Marty Sachs)
Date: 18 Jul 1994 03:03:54 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

Dear Colleagues,

It is our sad duty to inform you of the sudden and untimely loss of our
dear friend John Laughnan on Friday evening.  John was active and enjoying
life to the fullest until the last moment.  We will all miss him deeply.
Below you will find a reprinting of an obituary that appeared this morning
in our local newspaper.  Please help us by making a printout of this and
showing it to friends of John's who may not be connected to the internet.
Notes of condolences can be send to Susan Gabay Laughnan at RR2, Box 163,
Indianola, IL 61850 -or- through the internet to this e-mail address.
Thank you.

--------------------------------------------

        GEORGETOWN - John R. Laughnan, 74, of Indianola died at 8:48 p.m.
Friday (July 15, 1994) at United Samaritans Medical Center, Logan Campus,
Danville.

        Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at St. Isaac's
Catholic Church, the Rev. John Gabriel officiating.  Burial will be
Thursday in Sauk City, Wis.

        Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Houghton Leasure
Funeral Home, 200 E. West St., Georgetown.  A wake service will be
conducted at 7:30 p.m.

        Dr. Laughnan was born Sept. 27, 1919 at Spring Green, Wis., a son
of Thomas and Lillian Hutter Laughnan.  He married Susan Gabay on Oct. 14,
1977, at Urbana.  She survives.

        Also surviving are two sons, John F. Laughnan of Sterling, Va., and
Gregory V. Laughnan of Baraboo, Wis.; a daughter, Gretchen Cutler of
Prairie du Sac, Wis.; 12 grandchildren; and a brother Gerald Laughnan of
Rockford, IL.

        He was preceded in death by one brother.

        Dr. Laughnan retired from the University of Illinois as a professor
of maize genetics.  He enjoyed that research, as well as gardening and
feeding birds.

----------------------------------------------------------------
        Maize Genetics Cooperation - Stock Center

USDA/ARS & Agronomy/UIUC
S123 Turner Hall             [email-masked] [internet]
1102 S. Goodwin Ave.        (217) 333-6631 [phone]
Urbana, IL  61801-4798      (217) 333-6064 [FAX]
----------------------------------------------------------------