Subject: Tamarillo?
From: [email-masked] (Leonard N. Bloksberg)
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 1994 11:02 EDT
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

.
I have a non-scientific question about a novelty crop.  Does anyone know
what you do with a Tamarillo (aka tree tomato)?  My research interests 
center around the solanaceous crops (tomato, tobacco, and potato, with 
occasional excursions into the inevitable Arabidopsis).  I have seen these 
tamarillo's in seed catalogs and in the market and I finally decided to buy 
one, but I have no idea what to do with it.  Do you eat it fresh, boil it, 
do you have to peel it, what is it normally used for where it is a native 
crop?  If anyone can also tell me something about it's taxonomy I would 
also appreciate it.  Could it be related to my beloved solanacie?  Please 
email directly to me to avoid wasting too much bandwidth on this rather 
mundane question.
	Thanks
Lenny Bloksberg
[email-masked]
.
.
.