Subject: Re: tepuis
From: G. Steven Ferris <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Aug 1994 19:40:23 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

In article <[email-masked]> Stephen J.
Schilt, [email-masked] writes:
>I am trying to get some information on a region in South America called
the
>Tepuis.  I believe it is in Venezuela.  A mesa with many varieties of
rare
>and unique plant life.  Can someone give me a text reference(printed or
>electronic) that I can access for more information?  Many thanks.

Well, for starters there have been some articles in Smithsonian and
National Geographic magazines some years ago.  Tepui-loving botanists,
zoologists, & geologists caught lots of media attention because they were
hang-gliding off these rather startlingly high mesas.  I can't remember
other sources in the popular media, but you might refer to them as
table-lands in doing a search.  I heard once that these things were
formed as a part of a sandstone plateau that stretched across S. America
AND Africa back a few millions of years ago before the formation of the
Atlantic.  Oh, another thing, the mountains are called tepuis, the region
is not.