Subject: Thx 4 buff grass info!
From: [email-masked] (Andre Hamel)
Date: 6 Aug 1994 14:02:30 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

Many thanks to many of you for so promptly & generously sharing info within
the wonderful responses that were sent to date regarding my reccent posting
about buffalo grass or other slow growing grass. and about natural
ways to remove dandelions (fungus, versus chemical or manual pulling).

Fortunately, this grass is NOT needed for use in city or near any
neighbors, but for cottage yard surrounded by forest.

Question: would such slow growing grass (buffalo or other) do well in our
Manitoba climate (warm, about 20 to 30*C & dry air [usually] in summer,
about 300 mm (about 12 inches) rain in summer, same amount ppt'n as snow in
winter ... winters are COLD, about -20 to -40*C for 2 months? Also, how
well does such grass do in shaded areas (slope ddown toward river andd
flat areas near trees)? 

all best,

Andre

------

I felt this info to be SO useful that I ought to share it. THUS, here's
summaries of responses received to date (some stuff deleted for brevity):

1/  From: Robert Kuhn <[email-masked]>

Dandelion ("lions teeth") brought to NA by French

---------

2/  From: [email-masked] (Ray R. Hinchman)

Buffalograss (Buchloe dactyloides) has a very short growth habit and is
often planted where mowing is not practical. It is a warm season, sod
forming, native grass that will grow in many places in the U.S.  It is also
used as a forage grass in many areas west of the Mississippi River. Many
seed companies that supply pasture and rangeland grass seed should be able
to supply you with buffalograss seed. One such company (they have 3
varieties) I have purchased buffalograss seed from is:

Sharp Bros. Seed Co.
P.O. Box 140
Healy, Kansas  6850  USA
(316) 398-2231

dandelions (Taraxacum officinale) are not native to NA. 

--------

3/   From: [email-masked]

There may be some on the market soon as a lot of breeding work has been
done to develop seeded varieties. Up to now, usually only buffalo grass
plugs have been available.

PJ

---------

4/   From: [email-masked] (Bruce Thomas)

contact Dr. Lin Wu, Dept. Environmental Horticulture, U California , Davis,
CA 95616
                [email-masked]                (916)752-7179

---------

5/   From: (Karen Browning) <[email-masked]>

Buffalo grass is very popular in Texas for what is called xeroscaping.  That
means what you plant requires very little water.  There are many companies
that provide seed or sod.  I do not have any sources in my office, but if
no one else replies I can look in my Texas Gardening magazines and send
you some sources.  The National Wildflower Resource Center here in Austin
is a very good source of information, I can send your their address too if
you like.

-----------

6/    From: [email-masked] (Carol Jacobs-Carre)

Hi:  We get buffalo grass from our local farm seed supplier.  It is used
for lawns and for reclamation.  You should be able to get some through
your local ag seed company.  Best regards, Carol

------------

7/    From: "Lauraine Hawkins" <[email-masked]>

I suggest you look for native plant distributors for buffalo grass seeds.
I have a catalog from "Plants of the Southwest" which does list buffalo
grass & many others. Address: Plants of the Southwest, 1812 Second Street,
Santa Fe, New Mexico, 87501 USA. Phone (505) 983-1548. They respond fairly
promptly to written inquiries. Good luck with the grass search! L. Hawkins

--------

8/   From: Michael Summers <[email-masked]>

... most any mail order seed catalog carries buffalo... Henry Fields
comes to mind... I don't have the number here, let me know if you need it.

BTW-- as I understand it buffalo grass is quite invasive, it will grow into
your neighbors yard.