Subject: Re: Families of Flowering Plants- cdrom
From: [email-masked] (Howie Brounstein)
Date: 16 Aug 1994 09:05:33 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.plants

This program, or one very similar to it, is available free from a number of
the botanically oriented sites including the Australia Botanical Gardens.

Try gophering to muse.bio.cornell.edu

Check out DELTA

Download the first Zipped Delta file (under msdos), which contains the
INTKEY program. The rest of the delta programs are for writing and editing
the descriptive keys.

Go to Angio.....it contains the database for the worlds plant families.
Also in this directory (under extra) you'll find zipped family descriptions
for the program and over 50 MB of great pictures.

I found that the windows interface available in the DELTA directory
satisfactory for browsing and keying, along with comparing similarities and
differences in families. It's very complete, including a graphics viewer.

A number of other interfXces are available at the sites, and other databases
include the global grass genera key, once again with many megabytes of
graphics.

Perhaps the CD is better. Certainly easier than downloading for days. But
that 180.00 could go to other useful time sving devices like a better modem
to download the program quicker!

Howie Brounstein
C & W Herbs
[email-masked]