Subject: FW: Farm-to-table Conference

From: Andy Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:37:48 -0500

[ The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]
    [ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set.  ]
    [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Garrett [ mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 1999 2:32 PM
To: Andy Clark
Subject: Farm-to-table Conference

Hello Andy,
Could you post this to sanet for me?
Steven 

Farm-To-Table: Growing Healthy Foodsheds and Community
March 24-26, 2000
Olympia, WA

The Cascade Harvest Coalition, Washington State Department of Agriculture,
and Washington State University Cooperative Extension are excited to
announce a unique conference designed to promote the development of healthy,
sustainable food systems.  "Farm-to-Table" will be a three day event to
explore the many connections between the food we eat and the health of our
local farms, culture and communities.  Utilizing an analogy of the
"foodshed" to describe where food originates and how it flows into and
through our communities, this conference will be of importance to anyone who
cares about the future of our food supply, local farms, and healthy
communities.

Interactive discussion between the culinary community, policy makers,
farmers, marketers, consumers and health professionals will include such
dynamic topics as: The impact of a globalized food system on consumers,
farmers, and communities; llinkages between chefs and farmers; biodiversity
on the farm; environmental nutrition and the health benefits of eating
locally produced food; grassroots and public programs to preserve
farmland,... just to name a few!

Invited speakers for this event will include: Joan Dye Gussow, Nutritionist
and Professor Emeritus of Nutrition Education at Teachers College, Columbia
University, member of the National Organic Standards Board, and author of
Chicken Little, Tomato Sauce and Agriculture: Who Will Produce Tomorrow's
Food? (1992); Fred Kirschenmann,  farmer, activist, and author of "Can
Organic Agriculture Feed the World . . . And Is That the Right Question?";
Wes Jackson, founder of The Land Institute and author of books such as, New
Roots for Agriculture, and Becoming Native to This Place; Michael Ableman,
farmer and author of From the Good Earth; Jack Kloppenburg, Professor of
Rural Sociology at the University of Wisconsin, author of First the Seed and
the essay, "Coming into the Foodshed"; and Buck Levin, Professor of
Nutrition at Bastyr University and author of Environmental Nutrition:
Understanding the Link Between Environment, Food Quality and Disease. We
have also invited some nationally known chefs.

The event will take place on the campus of The Evergreen State College in
Olympia, Washington, 60 miles south of Seattle. Friday tours will explore
the food system of the South Puget Sound, including the Organic Farm at the
Evergreen State College.

Come be part of an important dialog about food and healthy communities. 

For more information, please contact:
Curtis Beus
Washington State University Cooperative Extension
P.O. Box 863
Port Angeles, WA  98362-0149
360-417-2279
[email-masked] 

     -OR - 

Leslie Zenz
Washington State Dept. of Agriculture
P.O. Box 42560
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 902-1891
[email-masked]

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail