Subject: Re: organic chicken feed recipes.

From: Greg & Lei Gunthorp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 08:20:25 -0500

[ The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]
    [ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set.  ]
    [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]

Ladino clover is a cool season pasture component that will run the highest
levels of protein and amino acid levels (protein building blocks) of any
pasture species.  It will easily bloat ruminants if it makes up too much of
a percentage of the pasture.  

I would strongly suggest you go to the University library and pick up some
old books on poultry production.  An old Morrison Feeds and Feeding, pre
1960, would be a good place to start.  I've got several old hog production
books around here.  I used to have an old poultry production book.  The
research has already been done to demonstrate the effectiveness of various
pasture species in non-ruminant animal production.  Ladino clover was
clearly the best choice.  It might be debatable now days whether alfalfa
should be the king of pastures for chickens and hogs because a lot more
money has been spent on grazing alfalfa species.

A good non-ruminant grazing program in the midwest can be built around
clovers, alfalfa, brassicas(primarily rape), and some vegetative grass. 
Percentage reduction in feed is going to depend a lot on the quality of
pasture grown.  I've got sows that I haven't fed since January.  They
gleaned corn fields all winter and are doing just fine now on pasture.  We
are getting so dry now that I'm going to have to start feeding them.

Good luck,
Greg Gunthorp
Free Range Hog Farmer

----------
> From: Nathan/Rachna Boone <[email-masked]>
> To: Greg & Lei Gunthorp <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: organic chicken feed recipes.
> Date: Monday, August 02, 1999 11:36 PM
> 
> Dear Greg,
> 
>         What's so special about ladino clover and non-ruminants?  I'm
> working with a pastured poultry project here in New Mexico and I'm all
ears
> for non-corn/soy feeding options for more protein.
> 
>         Have you every looked at cowpeas as a substitute for soy?  I
don't
> have any nutritional info available, but think it could be a solution for
> on-farm feed without expensive processing.  Any thoughts?
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> 
> Nathan Boone
> Agricultural Consultant
> 200-B Callecita Place
> Santa Fe, NM  87501
> Tel: 505.992.0649
> Fax: 508.302.7761
> Email: [email-masked]
> 

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail