Subject: Re: Paulownia Trees from China

From: Matthew Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 23:03:22 -0400

[ Part 1, Text/PLAIN (charset: ISO-8859-1 "Latin 1")  37 lines. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]
    [ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set.  ]
    [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]

Paulownia  has escaped cultivation in the mid-Atlantic states, to invade
highway cuts, disturbed areas, and native forests.  In the native forest
areas it seems to disrupt the undergrowth, eliminating native shrubs.  (I
could not discern whether this was due to soil disturbance or change of
soil organisms.)  The 'cute' purple flowers and potential rapid growth
aid sales of Paulownia trees offered by mail order catalogues.  While
these are field observations and not scientifically backed, the forest
biologists I have spoken to take a dim view of the species.  Previous
posts have indicated brittle wood with wind and ice damage.  The trees
offer few redeeming qualities and no wildlife value.  From an
environmental standpoint I could not recommend planting more invasive
exotic species.  I highly recommend that the Georgia Land Stewardship
Assoc. read Alien Invasion:  America's Battle With Non-Native Animals and
Plants, by Robert S. Devine.  Paulownia is not as invasive as Melaleuca,
Kudzu, or Norway Maples, but please consider the health of forests near
the propagation areas.
 
Mary

      Craig Wrote:
      Some discussions on the Georgia Land Stewardship list have
      addressed this tree native to China with a deep tap root,
      pounds of leaves, and a life of some 10 years to have a
      viable timber product. Previous Sanet posts have mentioned
      its ability to aid in reclaiming sites of hog waste.
       
      The issue of introducing the species to this area with out
      understanding its impact on the balance of our eco system was
      raised.
      Is there a useful insight as to introducing yet another
      foreign plant into our region (Southeast)? Does anyone know
      of potential problems with this tree?
       
      Thank you
       
      Incidentally see the Georgia Land Stewardship Assoc.. site at
      http://www.pd.org/~glsa/