From: [email-masked] (Mike Fitzner)
Date: 30 Nov 1994 17:08:26 -0000

------- Forwarded Message Follows -------

Date:          Tue, 29 Nov 1994 19:35:41 -0500 (EST)
From:          Gabriel Hegyes <[email-masked]>

For Release: Immediately

Sustainable Ag. Network to Release Resource Guide

BELTSVILLE, Md. - A new, expanded guide to organizations and their
sustainable agriculture publications is now available from the
Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN).

The third edition of The  Showcase of Sustainable Agriculture
Information and Educational Materials, will be available December
1. The 100-page booklet provides information about hundreds of
publications and educational materials that are readily useful to
farmers who want to stay profitable while protecting the
environment.

"We put the SAN Showcase together by asking all kind of
organizations to tell us what they had to share on sustainable
agriculture _ especially information that helps farmers  put it all
together into a system that works," says SAN committee member Jill
Auburn, associate director of the University of California
Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program (SAREP).

The result was a collection of free and moderately priced
newsletters, brochures, reports, handbooks, videos and even
computer programs and data bases.

"A lot of these materials can't be found very easily elsewhere,"
Auburn adds. "Many of them are not in the academic literature, or
databases."

National in scope, The Showcase is arranged alphabetically by
organization. Each of the 400 entries includes information about
the publisher, author, availability and price, in addition to
providing a short description of the publication. The  Showcase
includes four indexes,  allowing you to search by author, title,
contributor and subject.

The Showcase was compiled by members of SAN, with support from the
USDA Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) program.

SAN is a consortium of people from universities, government,
business and non-profit organizations dedicated to exchanging
information about sustainable agriculture. SAN compiles and helps
disseminate information, but does not "filter" or judge it.

SARE is a competitive grants program that provides funding for
projects that promote agriculture that is environmentally sound,
economically viable and sustains rural communities.

To order The Showcase SEND A CHECK OR PURCHASE ORDER FOR $4.95 TO:
Sustainable Agriculture Publications, 10 Hills Building, University
of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405-0082. PRICE INCLUDES POSTAGE AND
HANDLING. ALLOW FOUR WEEKS FOR DELIVERY.

FOR INFORMATION ABOUT RUSH ORDERS AND BULK ORDER DISCOUNTS CALL
802-656-0471, or email to:  [email-masked]

For more information about SARE, SAN and other SAN publications
call Gabriel Hegyes at 301-504-6475, or 202-401-4640.
FAX:  301-504-6409. Email:  [email-masked]

---
 * Origin: [via Psychotronic BBS = Durham, NC = 
919-286-4542]Extensi (1:3641/1)
@PATH: 3641/1

----------------------------------------------------------------------
(41)   Tue 29 Nov 94 20:57                             
By: PANNA InfoPubs 
To: All
Re: PANUPS: U.S. EPA Starts Special Rev
----------------------------------------------------------------------
@MSGID: 1:3641/223 0006a999
@PID GIGO+ sn 175 at psybbs vsn 0.99 pl1
From: PANNA InfoPubs <[email-masked]>
@Subject: PANUPS: U.S. EPA Starts Special Rev
@Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 20:57:18 -0800 (PST)

>From: PANNA InfoPubs <paninfopubs>

            =====================================
                         P A N U P S
                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network 
                        North America
                       Updates Service
            =====================================

U.S. EPA Starts Special Review of Triazine Pesticides

November 29, 1994

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced on 
November 10, 1994, that it has begun a Special Review of 
three of the most widely used herbicides in the U.S. -- 
atrazine, cyanazine and simazine -- because of concerns that 
they may present serious health risks. Between 90-120 million 
pounds of these herbicides, known collectively as triazines, 
are applied to U.S. crops each year. The EPA cited concerns 
that long-term exposure to these pesticides in food and 
drinking water may pose a risk of cancer to the U.S. 
population. The Special Review will examine the risks and 
benefits of the pesticides, estimate the costs of shifting to 
alternatives, and determine whether the pesticides should be 
canceled, further restricted or allowed to be used as before.

In the November press release, the EPA stated that recently-
published human epidemiological studies provide "conflicting 
but, in some cases, suggestive evidence" that exposure to 
environmental toxins such as pesticides may contribute to the 
increasing rates of breast cancer in U.S. women. The press 
release further states that "while EPA does not have 
information which supports a link between exposure to the 
triazine herbicides and human breast cancer, the Agency 
cannot dismiss the possibility that such an association could 
exist." 

According to "Tap Water Blues," a report released recently by 
the Environmental Working Group (EWG) and Physicians for 
Social Responsibility (PSR), more than 14 million people in 
the U.S. routinely drink water that is contaminated with five 
major agricultural herbicides, including the triazine 
pesticides. The authors of "Tap Water Blues" argue that the 
triazines can cause cancer in animals and may pose other 
health risks as well, especially to infants and children. 
Because of these risks, the EWG and PSR demanded that the 
U.S. EPA and U.S. Department of Agriculture phase-out the use 
of triazines within two years. (See PANUPS, Nov. 10, 1994.)

The triazine pesticides being reviewed by the EPA are 
primarily used as pre-emergent herbicides on field corn, but 
are also used on sorghum as well as other crops.  The EPA has 
taken actions previously to restrict use of triazine 
products.  In 1990, for example, use of atrazine was 
restricted to certified applicators (except for certain home 
turf products), application rates were reduced, protective 
clothing for agricultural workers was added as a label 
requirement, and application near wells was prohibited. 

Ciba-Geigy of Greensboro, N.C. is the principal registrant 
and manufacturer of atrazine (first registered in 1959) and 
simazine (first registered in 1957). Du Pont Agricultural 
Products of Wilmington, Delaware and Ciba-Geigy are principal 
registrants of cyanazine (registered in 1971 under the trade 
name Bladex).

Sources: U.S. EPA Press Release, November 10, 1994: "EPA
Begins Special Review of Triazine Pesticides"; Wall Street 
Journal, November 11, 1994; Pesticide & Toxic Chemical News, 
November 16, 1994.
 
Contact:  Environmental Working Group, 1718 Connecticut 
Avenue NW, Suite 600, Washington DC 20009; phone (202) 667-
6982; fax (202) 232-2592; email [email-masked].

 ===========================================================
| PANNA                        | for standard information   |
| Phone:(415) 541-9140         | about PANNA send a short   |
| Fax:(415) 541-9253           | email message to           |
| email: [email-masked]  | [email-masked]  |
| gopher: gopher.econet.apc.org|                            |
|                             ___                           |
| To subscribe to PANUPS send email to [email-masked]|
| with the following text on one line: subscribe panups     |
| To unsubscibe send the following: unsubscribe panups      |
 ===========================================================

---
 * Origin: Psychotronic BBS (1:3641/1)
@PATH: 3641/1

----------------------------------------------------------------------
(42)   Wed 30 Nov 94  2:10                             
By: PANNA InfoPubs 
To: All
Re: PANUPS: Online Resource Pointer #11
----------------------------------------------------------------------
@MSGID: 1:3641/223 0006a99c
@PID GIGO+ sn 175 at psybbs vsn 0.99 pl1
From: PANNA InfoPubs <[email-masked]>
@Subject: PANUPS: Online Resource Pointer #11
@Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 02:10:40 -0800 (PST)

>From: PANNA InfoPubs <paninfopubs>

            =====================================
                         P A N U P S
                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network 
                        North America
                       Updates Service
            =====================================
Online Resource Pointer #11

November 29, 1994

For copies of the following resources, please contact the 
appropriate publishers or organizations directly.
***

*Enough is Enough: The Hellraiser's Guide to Community 
Activism, 1994.*  Diane MacEachern.  Step-by-step 
instructions on the key aspects of activism including how to 
position an issue, develop a strategy, build an organization, 
raise money, attract the media and impress a politician.  
Includes successes stories of ordinary citizens who undertook 
campaigns and used community-based techniques to promote 
their causes.  407 pp.  US$10.  Vanguard Communications, 1835 
K Street NW, Suite 805, Washington, D.C. 20006; phone (202) 
331-4323; fax (202) 331-9420.

*Agriculture Now or Damage Control Later?, 1994.*  
International Development Research Centre (IDRC).  Addresses 
the need to increase food security and the growing neglect of 
the agricultural sector by international donors and 
developing countries.  English and French.  42 pp.  IRDC 
Books, P.O. Box 8500, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1G 3H9; phone 
(613) 236-6163 (ext. 2087); fax (613) 563-0815.

*Options to Methyl Bromide for the Control of Soil-Borne 
Diseases and Pests in California with Reference to the 
Netherlands, 1994.*  Adolf L. Braun and David M. Supkoff.  
Examines the use of methyl bromide in the Netherlands in 
greenhouse production of strawberries, vegetables, and cut 
flowers.  Describes that country's decision to  phase out 
methyl bromide for soil fumigation usage because of concern 
for public safety and air and groundwater quality, and it's 
decision to adopt new pesticide policies and farming systems.