Subject: Volunteer Monitoring Follow-up

From: "Cynthia Garman-Squier" <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Jun 93 14:57:40 EST

Several states responded to my e-mail note last month with information
about volunteer water quality monitoring efforts. I met informally with
representatives from EPA, SCS, National Weather Service, TVA, and National
Park Service to share that information and talk about possible "what
next?" opportunities. I wanted to let you know what happened and "what
next."

Because it was an informal meeting to begin sharing information, we had
people representing very different types of programs and approaches. It
was the beginning of a beginning. At this point, we have agreed to share
names of contacts and to encourage the exchange of information about
programs. I am sending the names and address of Extension Water Quality
Coordinators to EPA; they are going to add the names to the mailing list
for 2 publications - The Volunteer Monitor and The Water Monitor. The
first is a national newsletter somewhat similar to NPS News Notes but with
a much smaller circulation. The second is an EPA newsletter that will
provide information about EPA activites.  It might take a little time for
the mailing lists to be updated, but when these pubs do appear in your
mailbox you'll know how they came to be there!

In exchange, Alice Mayio at EPA has asked if we would be willing to send
information about our volunteer monitoring programs to her or to put them
on the NPS Bulletin Board. She is going to send me a disc with the new
instructions for accessing the bulletin board, as well as the names of the
EPA Regional Office contacts for volunteer monitoring. When I receive that
information, I will load that on e-mail for you. Like the NPS News Notes,
this is an opportunity for you to gain recognition for Extension efforts
in volunteer monitoring. Her address is:
Alice Mayio
US EPA Headquarters
Assessment and Watershed Protection Division
401 M Street, SW
Washington, DC 20460
Tel: 202-260-7018

If anything else comes up, I will let you know - - or if you have any
ideas or questions, send me a note or give me a call.

Cynthia Garman-Squier
ES-USDA Water Quality Team                 202-720-5245
Room 3344 South                            FAX: 202-720-4730
Washington, D.C. 20250-0900                e-mail: [email-masked]