Subject: grass clippings for mulch

From: [email-masked] (Michael D. Smolen)
Date: Thu, 27 May 1993 17:28:21

Does anyone know of information about using grass clippings for mulch on
disturbed lands like construction sites?

Thanks, Mike Smolen

---

From: Eldon Fredericks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1993 08:50:31 EST

Mike,
Seeing your request for information about grass clippings this
morning I ran a quick check of the National Water Quality
Information data base--which you and others may use at anytime--
and discovered a couple of items that may be of some use.

Here are the abstracts of several items from that search:

  Searched for:    mulch grass clippings                                      

Title:    Yard Waste Recycling                                              

  Item Number: S-HO-1                                                         
  Authors: Rosie Lerner                                                       
  State: Indiana                                                              
  Managing yard wastes i increasing in importace due to diminishing landfill  
  space and increasing costs of waste disposal. Up until recently, up to 20%  
  of landfill space was occupied by yard wastes. Several states have enacted  
  legislation bannig yard wastes from the landfill. This slide set offers     
  suggestions for reducing and recycling yard wastes including managing grass 
  clippings, compost, and mulch.                                              
  Last Revision: 11-DEC-90                                                    
                                                                              
  NOT available to view.                                                      
  unmarked.                                                                   
  Published Document Price - 41.00                                            

  Title:    XERISCAPING - A GUIDE TO DEVELOPING A WATER-WISE LANDSCAPE        
                                                                              
  Item Number: 1073                                                           
  Authors: G. Wade; J. Midcap                                                 
  State: Georgia                                                              
  A comprehensive guide for reducing landscape water use. It describes in     
  detail seven steps for water conservation: planning and design; soil        
  analysis; appropriate plant selection; practical turf areas; efficient      
  irrigation; mulches; maintenance.                                           
  Last Revision: 15-MAR-1992                                                  

                                                                              
  5. V=view                                                                   
  unmarked.                                                                   
  Published Document Price - 3.00                               

Mike, note this last item is available in the database and you can
retrieve it on line if you wish.

Finally, I did retrieve one item from the database
which describes some economics and I had that sent by the program
directly to your email address only--not to the wq_all_mg:

Hope that helps,
eef
-- 

===========================================================================
Eldon E. Fredericks                 | INTERNET:   [email-masked]
Education Technology Specialist     | FAX:	  (317) 496-1117 
Ag Communication Dept, Purdue Univ  | VOICE:      (317) 494-8679

CIT, ES-USDA, Washington, DC        | VOICE:      (202) 720-3401
                                    | FAX:        (202) 690-0289
===========================================================================