Subject: animal pests & control

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:29:49 GMT

Hello,

I've posted this before, but I'm still collecting info on ways to prevent 
animals like deer, birds, coons,etc from damaging crops and gardens.  If 
anyone has info, or contacts I would love to hear of them.  Please don't write 
me back if you are just going to flame me about animal rights.

Thanks,
Shawn Morrison
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked](Dick or Sheila Dalton)
Date: 23 Jul 1996 16:59:30 GMT

>me back if you are just going to flame me about animal rights.

Last year the deer discovered us and ate most of my plants that were
not directly by the house to the ground.  My husband and I put up a 2
wire electric fence and we have not had a deer problem since.  We
baited the wire with peanut butter.

Sheila

---

From: [email-masked] (Ken)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 19:24:18 GMT

>baited the wire with peanut butter.
Question: if your intent was to keep the deer away, why would you
"bait" the fence?  Just curious.

Sabra

---

From: "Ronald A. Darby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 10:03:52 -1000

On 23 Jul 1996, [email-masked] wrote:
>>
> I've posted this before, but I'm still collecting info on ways to prevent animals like deer, birds, coons, etc from damaging crops and 
gardens.  If anyone has info, or contacts I would love to hear of them.  
>Shawn:
We've developed a new technique for wildbird control to keep bird messes
off porches, decks, boats, etc. Some people have said it's been effective 
for keeping birds from small, newly seeded gardens as well as 
discouraging bulbul birds from eating orchid buds in semi-enclosed, 
shaded spaces. See www.rawspace.net/jumpo.  

Ron Darby
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked](Dick or Sheila Dalton)
Date: 24 Jul 1996 02:04:00 GMT

>"bait" the fence?  Just curious.

Baiting the fence attracts the deer right away, they get a shock, not a
bad one, and that area becomes a place that they stay away from.  At
first we kept the big yellow signs off the fence because you really
don't want them to know that you have a fence, just an unpleasant area.
Deer can jump pretty high fences and will jump an electric fence if
they realize that it is there.  Later, after their habits have been
reestablished, you can put the big yellow signs on the fence to alert
people.

Sheila

---

From: [email-masked] (Gimpguy)
Date: 24 Jul 1996 01:14:48 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes:

>Please don't write 

Now, you've gone and done it.

Mickey
*No matter where I go, there I am.*

---

From: [email-masked] (Raul Almquist)
Date: 25 Jul 1996 02:39:14 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
: I've posted this before, but I'm still collecting info on ways to prevent 
: animals like deer, birds, coons,etc from damaging crops and gardens.  If 
: anyone has info, or contacts I would love to hear of them.  Please don't write 
: me back if you are just going to flame me about animal rights.

  I have two automated gardens on my property which are totally operated 
by solar power, one aspect is a noisemaker which never seems to 
produce the same sound twice, as it changes sound according to the light 
hitting it, and clouds work great at making sudden and constant 
changes...  The system also charges batteries to operate a randomly 
variable pink noise generator and a couple of small lights at night, 
while also watering the gardens when the soil dries out (river is very 
close by).  I do have a regular garden fence around each garden but they 
would never stop anything getting in if they really wanted to get in.

  Of course, solar panels, a charge controller, batteries, and the other 
related equipment does not make this cheap, but since there is no 
electricity grid access, this is very acceptable for my place.

  and with the advent of the garden tarp which retards weed growth, heck 
I do not have to even weed much anymore <G>

  System has been in operation for more than three years now, and not one 
sign of predation.

---

From: [email-masked] (Janet & John Wintermute)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 13:17:39 GMT

>  System has been in operation for more than three years now, and not one 

Please consider stepping over to rec.gardens and putting up an
original post describing in more detail your setup. Many people are
trying to deal with predation problems in settings like yours.  I'd
like to know more specifics myself; perhaps this kind of thing could
be installed at my community garden plot, which is inside the D.C.
beltway but amply supplied with deer, hedgehogs, and hungry birds.  I
love the idea that it does interesting things at night on its own.

--Janet Wintermute

---

From: Quail Acres <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 21:29:53 -0400

Raul Almquist wrote:
>  We're using some of the new 5.5' extruded plastic fencing.  It's supported by salvaged mine roof bolts (8' long) driven into the earth as 
posts.  I'll be happy to detail the setp for anyone whose interested.  
It's an exceedingly inexpensive method of fencing and when coupled with 
2 strands of electric fence (2" and 7" above the ground), no coons, etc. 
have entered or bothered the poultry inside.  The fenced area is several 
acres and circumvents a small cove shaped wood.  All our guineas are 
enclosed there along with several goats and 4 geese.  
-- 
Dave Burrows
The Peafowl and Guinea Page
http://www.hky.com/~quail/peafowl.html

---

From: CAPP 385-5011 Student 19 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 19:31:13 -0400

Human  hair clippings in your garden will deter deer from eating the
flowers and plants.

---

From: Tracie DeMack <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 19:48:27 GMT

> reestablished, you can put the big yellow signs on the fence to alert

When did deer learn how to read????

---

From: Mike Edgar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 21:42:25 +0100

In article <Pine.GSO.3.92.960729193026.27549G-100000@nova>, CAPP 385-
5011 Student 19 <[email-masked]> writes
>Human  hair clippings in your garden will deter deer from eating the

Yes it will, but only if it is "due for a wash". It's the natural human
oils/odours that do the job,.... not "Wash-n-Go" !

Mike
-------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Mike Edgar      
It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked](Dick or Sheila Dalton)
Date: 31 Jul 1996 17:25:00 GMT

In <[email-masked]> Tracie DeMack
<[email-masked]> writes: 
  Later, after their habits have been
>When did deer learn how to read????
The idea is not to visually change anything.   
Signs are a bright yellow and they might alert the deer to a fence.  We
also painted all the yellow things that hold the fence to the posts
green so as to not alert the deer to a fence.

Sheila

---

From: George Gehrke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 01:37:48 -0700

> Human  hair clippings in your garden will deter deer from eating the

A better way is to hang bars of Lava and/or Lifeboy Soap from your fruit 
trees and/or garden area.

George Gehrke/Professional Sportsman

---

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Mathiasen)
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 12:44:24 GMT

>George Gehrke/Professional Sportsman

Both these methods work *sometimes*, but usually not for long.  It
depends how much pressure you need to contend with.  Deer are quick
learners.  I've put together some information on this subject,
gathered from various sources, which can be found at:

	http://www.borg.com/~dennis/deer.html

I hope you find it useful.

Dennis Mathiasen
zone 4b Central NY