Subject: Brashears on Hanson

From: [email-masked] (David Lloyd-Jones)
Date: 1 Dec 1996 17:54:55 GMT

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996 14:23:42 GMT, [email-masked] (Harold
Brashears) wrote:

>I am finally going to donate my two cents to this argument, just for a
>moment.  I must say I think that Jay's definition is fine for a
>nontechnical discussion, as long as you recognize the assumptions he
>has placed in it. 
 
Harold,
 
The problem with this is that Jay's entire career as a freelance
writer is predicated precisely on obscuring his assumptions, on
presenting his weirdie notions as scientific fact, which they aren't.
If he ever made his assumptions clear, he'd have to find a job.
 
                                                              -dlj.

---

From: student76 <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Dec 1996 22:45:54 GMT

> If he ever made his assumptions clear, he'd have to find a job.
Dear DLJ:

I totally agree. I think that too many assumptions are made

---

From: [email-masked] (Harold Brashears)
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 16:04:03 GMT

>I totally agree. I think that too many assumptions are made

Sorry I didn't answer earlier, my server seems to have overloaded
several times lately, and messages just vanish into space.  Reminds me
of programming a PDP-8, it had a useful function that allowed you to
store data in nonexistent RAM.  Sometimes, that's what I would like to
do with Hanson.

I still say however, that Jay has some justification, but as I noted,
the assumptions are so overwhelming I think his definition may only
apply to a fishbowl, or some similar sized environment.

Regards, Harold
----
"In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those 
who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it."
	---Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America, vol. 1, pt. 2, 
	ch. 5 (1840).

---

From: [email-masked] (Harold Brashears)
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 19:10:54 GMT

[email-masked] (David Lloyd-Jones) wrote for all to see:

>On Tue, 03 Dec 1996 16:04:03 GMT, [email-masked] (Harold
>Brashears) wrote:
>>
>A fishbowl lives on external fishfood as Earth relies on the supply of
>sunlight.

I'm sorry, my point, not well made, is that as long as you accept
Jay's assumptions, he is correct.  Unfortunately, those assumptions to
not apply in the real world.

Regards, Harold
-------
"As for charity, it is a matter in which the immediate effect on the 
persons directly concerned, and the ultimate consequence to the general 
good, are apt to be at complete war with one another."
	---John Stuart Mill, The Subjection of Women, ch. 4 (1869).

---

From: [email-masked] (David Lloyd-Jones)
Date: 3 Dec 1996 16:57:35 GMT

Harold,

                                                        -dlj.

---

From: [email-masked] (David Lloyd-Jones)
Date: 3 Dec 1996 19:57:23 GMT

On Tue, 03 Dec 1996 19:10:54 GMT, [email-masked] (Harold

Harold,
 
Your point is perfectly clear.  I just think you are being overly
generous in suggesting that Jay's assumptions apply even to a
fishbowl.
 
                                                     -dlj.