Subject: New Holland 268 Baler Problem

From: Eur Ings Gore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 96 17:23:26 GMT

New Holland 268 Baler Problem
        
        This  vintage baler is ideally suited to small meadows down  here 
        in  Cornwall and to date has proved a reliable  machine,  however 
        recently it has developed a feature which is causing problems. 
        
        It produces bales with too little straw on the side furthest from 
        the packers. This can result in bales which collapse when  lifted 
        and pose a problem when stacking. 
        
        I have tried adjusting the packer tynes but it does not appear to 
        alter the "feature". 
        
        Comments/advice   on  where  to look and/or   how  to  check  the 
        packer/ram timing would be greatly appreciated. 
        
        If possible please email me direct.
        
        Thanks

        Chris
        -----------------------------------------------------------------
        Eur Ings GORE
        E-mail :- [email-masked]
        -----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: jim_friend <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 16:19:12 -0400

Eur Ings Gore wrote:

>         the packers.

>         I have tried adjusting the packer tynes but it does not appear to

Unless I'm mistaken you're on the right track with the packer tines (I 
assume you mean the fingers which move the straw into the bale chamber). 
I can't explain why this would suddenly become a problem, however... 
Packer-to-finger timing shouldn't be an issue - you'll know in a hurry 
if thats off. I believe there is an interlock which will shear a pin if 
that timing is off to prevent the packer from crushing the mechanism.

 good luck

 -jf

---

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Yeoman )
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 01:23:42 GMT

I am dozens of years away from a baler, but the density of the bale is
adjusted of course by the two threaded tensioners on the slide area
in the vicinity of where the tines come up to make a knot and a bale.
If the tensioner on the far side is backed off, compared to the one
that is nearer the fingers, one side of the bale will be loose.

Goodness this is fun after so many years.  My father was and remains a
local Southern Ontario, Canada expert on old Massey and new Holland
balers, but I've tried this one on my own.

Reporting from Metropolis

Bob