Subject: Inexpensive Soil Aeration

From: "Chris Brereton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 19:16:32 +1000

Aeration has largely been the preserve of professional turf grass
managers. However, a new Australian product makes this important process
accessible to every ride-on mower owner. 

Essentially a spiked roller, the ECHIDNA allows ride-on mower owners to
mow and aerate in a single pass. The 75 cm roller drum is covered with 10
cm solid tines which make small hole in the soil as it rolls across. These
holes aerate the soil.

Aeration is one of the keys to healthy grass growth. It permits essential
water, air and nutrients to penetrate deep into the root zone (where they
are needed). The deeper healthier root systems created generate thicker,
greener grass. The enhanced functioning of the soils natural organic
processes means that there is reduced need for fertilization.

The ECHIDNA is suitable for use by private acreage owners and commercial
applications where a ride-on mower is used to cut the grass.

The product is available through selected mower shops throughout
Australia. To view the product visit our site at the Echidna Manufacturing
Industries Web Page http://bhss.inia.net.au/echidna. For the name of your
nearest outlet E-Mail [email-masked]

Echidna Manufacturing Industries
P.O.Box 35
Clarence Town
NSW 2321
Australia

Phone: (049)96-5521
Fax:     (049)965511

---

From: [email-masked] (BRateaver)
Date: 31 Jul 1996 04:36:03 -0400

Yes but soil organisms, of which earthworms are only the major (because
visible) ones, will give the natural, normal aeration needed. Having to
resort to use of a machine is tantamount to admitting your soil is too
dead to have the live creatures that do the work free.

B. Rateaver