Subject: CFP ICCTA'96 Workshop on Neural Network Applications in Agriculture

From: [email-masked] (Mark Sloof)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 14:57:32 GMT

Please distribute to whom it may concern:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
                       First Call for Papers 
 
             Neural Network Applications in Agriculture (NNAA) 
                         ICCTA'96 Workshop 
                    Wageningen, The Netherlands
                           June 19, 1996

INTRODUCTION 
 
Neural Networks are ready for real-world application. It is well known 
that Neural Networks offer solutions in domains where traditional, non-
linear techniques, are not powerful enough. This type of problems often 
occurs in agricultural domains, where processes are non-linear of nature. 

In several domains the application of Neural Networks has gained interest. 
Recent events, such as the Neural Network sessions of the IFAC workshop 
"AI in Agriculture" and the international symposium "Neural Networks: 
Artificial Intelligence and Industrial Applications" of the Dutch 
Foundation for Neural Networks, illustrate the application momentum 
of Neural Networks. Several projects have aimed at applying NN in 
agriculture. But which NN-applications have been actually realised 
in agriculture? In which domains? Using which technologies? Solving which 
problems? Using which approaches?

These questions are addressed by a workshop within the International 
Congress for Computer Technology in Agriculture (ICCTA'96), which takes 
place from June 16 to June 19, 1996 in Wageningen the Netherlands.  

THE WORKSHOP 
 
This half-day workshop offers an international platform to present real 
world applications and discuss aspects of Neural Network applications in 
agricultural domains. The foreseen public includes decision makers in 
agribusiness, leading practitioners, scientists from research institutes, 
extension people in agriculture and food and manufacturers or hard- and 
software. Topics of interest include (but are not restricted to):  
*       Applications of neural networks, amongst others in the following 
	domains: 
	- Image Recognition             - Process Control 
	- Product Classification        - Process Modelling 
	- Signal Processing             - Predictive Modelling 
*       The process of developing the application 
*       Application from the users/client viewpoint 
*       Learning applications where NN were rejected  

CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS 
 
For this workshop we seek original papers for oral presentation, reporting 
real-world applications of neural networks in all above-mentioned areas. 
Candidate papers for the workshop concern application oriented projects 
aiming at implemented systems, preferably realised in a client-contractor
relationship. Purely research oriented papers will be rejected for this 
workshop. They may of course be of interest for the ICCTA'96 session on 
Neural Networks and Fuzzy Systems. Candidate papers should clearly describe 
the application requirements, the realised functionality and the development 
process of the application. Further items of interest are: Integration with 
other system components, possible alternative techniques for the neural 
networks and the structuring of the development process. 

Additionally to submitted papers, a limited number of papers will be 
invited from recognised experts in the field of neural network applications 
in general, and/or neural network applications in agriculture.  
 
Submissions in the form of a draft paper (max. 5000 words) or an extended 
abstract (max. 1500 words) can be sent to:
    Prof. A.J. Udink ten Cate 
    DLO-Agricultural Research Department 
    Bornsesteeg 53 
    6708 PD Wageningen 
    The Netherlands 
    +31-(0)317-474132
    e-mail: [email-masked]
Please indicate that your submission concerns the workshop NNAA of the ICCTA'96
congress. Electronic submissions (postscript or ASCII files) are preferred. 
Submissions are reviewed according to the ICCTA'96 review procedure. Accepted 
papers will appear in the congress proceedings. Additionally publication of the 
workshop papers in an international journal is aimed for.  
 
Deadlines 
Submission                                       15-12-95 
Notification of Acceptance for the workshop      31- 1-96 
Camera Ready Copies                               1- 3-96 
Workshop			                             19- 6-96

COSTS

Visiters to ICCTA'96 have free access to the workshop. Exclusive 
registration for the workshop is also possible. Registration fees in this 
case will be based on the fee for the ICCTA'6 congress.

WORKSHOP COMMITTEE 

Prof. J. DeBaerdemaeker		Catholic University of Leuven (B)
Prof. C.C.A.M. Gielen		Foundation of Neural Networks, Nijmegen (NL)
Dr. H.J. Kappen	     		Foundation of Neural Networks, Nijmegen (NL)
Dr. Th. Rath	    		University of Hannover (D)
Dr. V. Steinmetz    		Cemagref Montpellier, Montpellier (F)

LOCAL ORGANISERS
Ir. A.J.M. Timmermans & Drs. F. Verdenius  
e-mail {A.J.M.Timmermans,[email-masked] 
ATO-DLO, PO box 17, 6700 AA Wageningen, The Netherlands 
phone +31-(0)317-475000 
 
in close co-operation with the International Program Committee of ICCTA'96. 

FURTHER INFORMATION 
 
For any additional information, please contact the local organisers.