Subject: RFD: sci.agriculture.fruit

From: [email-masked] (Joel Clark)
Date: 3 May 1996 02:51:39 -0000

REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
               unmoderated group sci.agriculture.fruit

Newsgroups line:
sci.agriculture.fruit	Discussions related to growing fruit.

This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the creation
of a world-wide unmoderated Usenet newsgroup, sci.agriculture.fruit
This is not a Call for Votes (CFV); you cannot vote at this time.
Procedural details are below.

RATIONALE: sci.agriculture.fruit

There currently exists a newsgroup on this subject,
"alt.agriculture.fruit".  But since it is in the "alt" branch it is
frequently subjected to voluminous inappropriate postings (HOT SEX,
MAKE MONEY FAST, PHONE CARDS!) Postings related to fruit growing are
generally informative, articulate and high value content (very little
to no flaming). But as much as 50% of postings are totally
off-topic. It is hoped that by moving the group to the "sci" branch
the number of off-topic postings would be greatly reduced.  The
proponent of this move <[email-masked]> promises to make regular
announcements in alt.agriculture.fruit for at least 6 months
suggesting on-topic posts be moved to the new group
sci.agriculture.fruit if it is created. It is hoped that a FAQ will be
developed.

CHARTER: sci.agriculture.fruit

The proposed unmoderated newsgroup sci.agriculture.fruit will be
open to discussions on all topics related to growing fruit, berries
and nuts such as:
    - agriculture characteristics of fruit, berry, and nut varieties
    - agriculture production techniques for fruit, berries and nuts,
      including cultivation, pruning, fertilizing, spraying etc.
    - announcements of educational events or "fairs" relating to
      fruit, berry, and nut growing.
    - rules and regulations related to agriculture practices.
    - requests for advice related to fruit, berry, and nut growing.
    - requests for sources of fruit, berry, and nut varieties, or
      growing supplies and tools.

  This newsgroup will not be an appropriate forum for advertising,
  or announcements of product availability by persons or organizations
  whose purpose to to make a profit from the sale of those products.

END CHARTER.

PROCEDURE:

This is a request for discussion, not a call for votes.  In this phase
of the process, any potential problems with the proposed newsgroups
should be raised and resolved.  The discussion period will continue
for a minimum of 21 days (starting from when the first RFD for this
proposal is posted to news.announce.newgroups), after which a Call For
Votes (CFV) will be posted by a neutral vote taker.  Please do not
attempt to vote until this happens.

All discussion of this proposal should be posted to news.groups.

This RFD attempts to comply fully with the Usenet newsgroup creation
guidelines outlined in "How to Create a New Usenet Newsgroup" and "How
to Format and Submit a New Group Proposal".  Please refer to these
documents (available in news.announce.newgroups) if you have any
questions about the process.

DISTRIBUTION:

This RFD has been posted to the following newsgroups:

  news.announce.newgroups, news.groups,
  alt.agriculture.fruit, alt.agriculture.misc,
  alt.sustainable.agriculture, sci.agriculture,
  sci.agriculture.beekeeping, rec.gardens

-
Proponent: Joel Clark <[email-masked]>