Subject: RE:Ostrich Incubating in NY

From: [email-masked]
Date: 9 Mar 1996 01:42:38 GMT

To the person who has a trio in new york state,
     Being two years old is not a guarantee they will breed/lay.
     Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
     Observe your birds.  Are your hens fluttering?  Is your male redding up?
Red Beak-Red shins, booming, Displaying? 
     In some trio situations, only one hen is getting bred-again-observe 
your birds.  Is your male agressive enough for two hens?
     First year layers are not predictable, and usually sporadic.  IMHO it is not
worth the expensive of an incubator for your first season.  Take your eggs to
a reputable breeder within a two hour drive.  Learn from them.  Set money 
aside to buy an incubator and be ready for your second laying season.
     Learn about what your chicks need to stay alive.
     In the north-we definitely need a three stage system.  A heated barn with
lots of light-natural and artificial. You need good air exchange within your
barn-and keep in mind you have to be able to clean that barn.
  Skylights are great. 
 Then an enclosure where they can stay in the event of inclement weather-
such as a greenhouse.  Finally the outside run.
     In the first three months of an Ostrich chicks life-they are dependent on 
you to regulate the temperature and to keep them warm and safe.  They are
desert birds-remind yourself of that from time to time.  Yes they adapt well
as adults to the cold winter conditions-but even then, they must have adequate
shelter from the storms.
     Join your local Ostrich community-go to seminars, read learn and grow.
   They do well in the north-provided you are providing them with the care
they need.
     I haven't raised them in NY, but I have raised them in Calgary, alberta, 
canada-it can work.