Subject: Re: pigs and sweat

From: [email-masked] (jmcgin1051)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 20:20:53 GMT

"Newsroom (tpmoney)" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>This may sound like a silly question, but it's important that I find an 
>answer. Can anyone out there tell me if pigs sweat? Many thanks.
>Siona

Pigs do not sweat, hence their need for to ALWAYS have water and shade
available to them.  They use a mud hole as a means to keep cool and
prevent their skin from burning.  They will also dig holes to try and
get into soil which is damp or cooler.  Our show pigs get a spray down
twice a day or more during summer to help keep them cool.  They are
susceptable to heat/sun stroke and sunburn and seeing one of them go
into convulsions and die is not a pretty sight.  A note of caution:
NEVER spray cold water directly on a hot pig (or any other animal) as
they can go into shock and die.  Use warm or cool water and start by
spraying their feet and very slowly work your way up.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but couldn't resist giving you
the 'poop'.

Jmcginnis
"never try to teach a pig to sing...
    it wastes your time and ANNOYS the pig!"