Subject: Re: Russian & Italian fresh tomato have significantly better flavour

From: [email-masked] (Louis Schmittroth)
Date: 6 Sep 1995 14:00:05 GMT

[email-masked] (Larry Caldwell) writes:

>In article <[email-masked]>,
>Gianni Mariani <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> I demand good fresh tomato for everyone !!!

>"There's just two things that money can't buy,
>  and that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."

>Today I had a sandwich made from homemade bread, homemade mayonaise,
>homegrown tomatoes and home smoked thuringer.  Ah, that's the life!

Up here in northern Alberta I grow a Roma type tomato, Capri VF from the
Stokes Seed catalog.  Nice pear shaped, meaty but also juicy, and
delicious.  If I can grown them up here, anyone can.  BUT you have to
start them in early April inside, move them to a hothouse or greenhouse,
transplant them once or twice, and then outside.
--
Louis Schmittroth [email-masked]
NW 1/4 18 67 21 W4 Alberta.

---

From: [email-masked] (John Sargeant)
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 1995 18:17:02 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>,
Chad Finn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Appearance does sell in the US.  Many a pollster has gone to the grocery 
> store and asked the consumer what is most important and they will say 
> flavor.  Then you look at the sales from the grocer and see what they buy 
> and they buy on appearance.  In the case of apples and strawberries, 
> bigger and redder. While Gala, Braeburn, and Fuji apples appear to be 
> breaking that trend somewhat in apples, Red Delicious is still the most 
> popular apple sold.
> 

I am trying to start breeding programmes specifically for improved flavour
but I have difficulty convincing grant awarding authorities that flavour
is important.  Do you know where these polls are published so that someone
in the UK can look at them?  Figures for yield and disease resistance are easy
to find but flavour is so difficult to define that making punchy arguments for
my bosses are difficult.  Mike.

,---------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Michael Witty              | Phone:    (0171) 589 5111 ext 45280     |
| Department of Biochemistry |        or (0171) 594 5280 (direct line) |
| Imperial College           | FAX:      (0171) 594 5207               |
| London SW7 2AZ             | Email:    [email-masked]  |
| U. K.                      |        or [email-masked]              |
`----------------------------------------------------------------------'

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Pforzheimer)
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 1995 20:59:29 GMT

>my bosses are difficult.  Mike.

Contact the PMA (produce marketing Association) or the UFFVA
(United Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Assn) or a publication such as
Progressive Grocer or The Packer, in the US.  They all have
multiple studies showing this same sorry truth.

---

From: Gianni Mariani <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Sep 1995 05:52:11 GMT

>my bosses are difficult.  Mike.

Flavour is  I M P O R T A N T !   Tell 'em I said so !

Regards

-- 

     _   ` _              `     Internationalization R&D
    / \ / / \  /--  /--  /      
   /  // /  / /  / /  / /	Graphics is cool
   \_/ \ \_ \/  /_/  /_/  o		Internationalization c'est magnifique
 /  /
 \_/	(415) 390 4387		Opinions mine etc ...

---

From: [email-masked] (AAGRAZ)
Date: 7 Sep 1995 12:25:05 -0400

Dear Gianni:

If I am not mistaken, you live in the Bay Area. I couldn't agree more. The
tomatoes that you buy at the supermarket, if they come from California,
are usually machine harvested green and subsequently gassed with ethylene
to force color, not flavor, development.
My wife has a small bussiness. She operates a green house and produces
tomatoes during late fall, winter and spring. She uses a variety that has
the best taste. It is flavor full and sweet, very juicy and tender. Her
tomatoes a picked vine rippened. They can not be shipped very far, but I
think they can make it to San Fco. Any way, if you get to the point where
you must have a good tomato drop us a note. Or if you ever come to our
part of California, stop by our place and you will see that I am saying
the truth.

VINE RIPE TONATOES
Owners: Rocio & Agustin Agraz
14174 Lacey Blvd.
Hanford CA 93230

---

From: [email-masked] (panda)
Date: 22 Sep 1995 01:12:07 GMT

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950919225120.565B-100000@supreme>, Russell Tibballs <[email-masked]> says:
>
>Personally, I have to agree with the sentiment "if don't like it, don't 
>buy it". I always prefer my home grown tomatoes, although the quantity 
>and quality of the yeild varies from year to year. As a result there are 
>often periods when a passable tomato is preferrable to none.
>A TOMATO IS A TOMATO!
>END OF STORY.

---

From: user <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Sep 1995 18:57:01 GMT

>>Personally, I have to agree with the sentiment "if don't like it, don't 

Thats like saying a beer is a beer. There are some big differences.
Of course the GxE component contributes some as well.