Subject: Moles and Caster beans

From: [email-masked] (Tom Zennie)
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 1996 18:47:58 GMT

I'm trying to find any references to moles (the type in the lawn) and
repellant activity of castor beans or castor bean oil. I'm trying to
find an organic way to get rid of these animals. I need some
references for an article I'm writing.
----
Dr Tom Zennie
Zen Sheep Farm
7723 Quincy St
Zeeland, Michigan
e-mail:rimmer@macatawa,org
http://macatawa.org/~rimmer/drzbiog.htm

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert L. Payne)
Date: 10 Jun 1996 01:43:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>http://macatawa.org/~rimmer/drzbiog.htm
I remember seeing an article in a very old book that I have on 
agriculture that mentions using castor beans as a method of controlling 
moles - but not as a repellant.

Castor beans are exceedingly poisonous.  They contain a toxin called 
ricin which is one of the most toxic plant poisons known to mankind and 
is even listed under UN control documents as a weapon of war.  One or two 
beans can, if properly masticated and swallowed, kill a child.

The book, if I recall properly, suggested either crushing the beans and 
mixing them with a food attractive to moles or using the residual meal 
>from  castor beans after the oil extraction process as a method for 
controlling moles - but in both instances the powder was used to kill the 
animals rather than repel them.

Bob Payne

---

From: [email-masked] (Janet & John Wintermute)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:28:54 GMT

>animals rather than repel them.

Wow, Bob.  Thanks a million for this important info.  I have a house
on an island in the Chesapeake Bay where the 1-acre lawn is absolutely
riddled with moles.  (Everybody else's lawn has them, too....)

I had always read in gardening books that castor bean plants repel
moles, but this is the first I've heard they can be used to kill them.
Since our family is childless and growing the beans poses minimal risk
and the climate is perfect for them, I plan to seed some in this
weekend.

Wonder what--besides grubs--would constitute "food attractive to
moles."  Actually, I thought that grubs was all they ate!  I am aware
that by using diazinon in a sunny lawn, one can pretty much eliminate
grubs.  But this is not a good idea because our country house is on
well water.

Maybe the powdered-bean method will work.  

--Janet Wintermute

---

From: Steve DeHoogh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 08:34:06 -0700

>From  the August 11,1995 issue of Iowa State University Horticulture and Home 
Pest Newsletter, Merry Rankin, Extension wildlife assistant wrote, 
"There is a new product on the market this year claiming to aid in the 
removal of moles. The produce is called Mole Med and has gotten rave 
reviews...I spoke with Dr. Genn Dudderar from Michigan State University, who 
completed final testing for Mole Med...Official testing results will be 
published in the Eastern Wildlife Damage Control Workshop Proceedings that 
will be held November 5-8 in Jackson, Michigan."

Ms. Rankin also said that individuals can also make their own castor oil 
repellent.  Combine 6 ouces of castor oil, 2Tbsp. of dish washing liquid 
known for its degreasing capabilities and 1 gallon water.  As with Mole Med, 
this mixture would be the concentrate and then it could be combined at a rate 
of 1 ounce/1 gallon of water for applicaton.

Hope this helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve DeHoogh
Iowa County Extension Education Director
Marengo, IA 
[email-masked]
FAX 319-642-5505
Telephone 319-642-5504

---

From: [email-masked] (Best Sellers)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:59:03 GMT

>>references for an article I'm writing.

Castor beans, as you know are poisonous.  However, a little
human hair chopped to about 1 cm lengths and shoved down
into the run will repel the little beasties.  Or so I'm
told, I just tried it this week.  

Le

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 02:27:59 GMT

[email-masked] (Janet & John Wintermute) wrote, in

>Maybe the powdered-bean method will work.  

You have, of course, considered the fact that ricin is more toxic than
diazinon?  Just because it's "organic" doesn't necessarily mean it's
safe.

--
John E. Taylor III  W3ZID
E-mail:  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Best Sellers)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:06:10 GMT

>Le

I am now told that it will not only repel them, but it will
kill them because it irritates their skin and when they
scratch, the blood doesn't coagulate (i.e., they bleed to
death).  

Le

---

From: [email-masked] (turf)
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 96 07:09:15 EST

>>>>references for an article I'm writing.

Jerry Baker, master gardener, gives a castor oil recipe for
ridding moles in his book (don't know the name).  You mix
it with dishwashing detergent and other ingredients, I think,
and spray it on the lawn.

turf