Subject: Pecans in Texas

From: Tom Blackwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 22:46:12 -0700

A friend has about 100 acres in north central Texas (northern Johnson 
Co.).  The land drains well (gentle slope) and is on the edge of the 100 
year floodplain from a small creek.  He is currently growing grain crops 
on it (wheat & oats, mostly) with some success even in the drought.

Here are my questions:  I've suggested to him that he may want to grow 
pecans on the land (I'd like to help him on this, as I also have some 
land further south [Hamilton Co.] that I would also like to put into 
pecans).  I'd like to be able to do a rough sketch of the likely costs 
and return over the next 20 years if he does this.  I need some ballpark 
numbers for:

- what is the going price for pecan seedlings (large enough to be 
reasonably sure they will grow to maturity)?

- what is the recommended density of pecan trees per acre (or, how far 
apart should they be planted; I can figure it from there)?

- what is the average number of years until the trees start producing and 
until they reach full production?

- what is the average yield per tree (in pounds) at full production?

- what is the current (wholesale and retail) price for pecans?

I think with these I can get some idea of the economics involved.

I would also like any other suggestions that anyone can give me that I 
seem to have missed.  I will probably be looking to plant some of the 
newer varieties developed by Texas A&M, but I am concerned about the need 
for spraying these, as I would prefer to raise the pecans organically.

Thanks!
-- 

Tom Blackwell
3232 McKinney Ave., Suite 1160, Dallas, Texas  75204-2470
phone: (214) 965-9941  fax: (214) 720-0184
[email-masked]