Subject: Help! Decorative Maize / Corn question

From: [email-masked] (Philip Armytage)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 10:18:17 GMT

I've seen it in plenty of places, craft / homemaker shops etc

Corn cobs that have multi- coloured kernals on them.

Does anybody know anything about this kind of Maize?  I would like to try and 
grow some this summer (Australia).

Anything ! even just the correct name! Help!

Thankyou in advance,
Philip Armytage
[email-masked]

---

From: Sam Brungardt <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Sep 1996 21:03:26 GMT

Many of the colored-kernel maize varieties are popcorns.  However, some of 
the "Indian" corn (maize) with multicolored kernels are of the flint type. 
 And, some of the colored-kernel maize is a flour type (such as some of 
the stains or varieties grown by the Navajo Indians in the southwestern 
United States.  At one time there were even commercial varieties of maize 
with colored kernels (one, now a heritage variety, was called Bloody 
Butcher).  Seed of all these types is still available.  If you can import 
maize seed into Australia and are interested in a certain type, perhaps I 
can help you or find someone else who can.