Subject: Re: How re grass growthin Perennial Garden and Tree Nursery

From: [email-masked] (Steve Offiler)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 09:39:59

In article <[email-masked]> "John J. Slemko" <[email-masked]> writes:
>From: "John J. Slemko" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: How re grass growthin Perennial Garden and Tree Nursery
>Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 06:15:39 -0400

>Can someone provide info on how to stop grass from:
>a) steadily overtaking a perennial flower patch, and

Many folks might recommend Roundup, but I'm just not a fan of chemicals.  I 
would laboriously hand-remove whatever grasses are presently in there, and 
then mulch heavily.

>b) its removal and prevention in a small tree nursery (between trees),

Why bother?  How about just letting it grow, but keeping it well mowed?

Steve O.

---

From: [email-masked] (David McAdoo)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:03:39 GMT

>in addition to old-fashioned laborious hand removal method?
Round-up does a wonderful job of eradicating most grasses.  It works
best on those with rizome roots.  It would be great for your tree
nursery (be careful not to spray it on the leaves of young trees), but
it would be very hard to use it in a flower patch without killing the
flowers.  I had bermuda grass in some of my flower beds at one time
that I just had to do it anyway.  Not all the flowers died ( I was
very careful with the sprayer) but there was some mortality.  Good
luck.  Getting rid of grass and keeping it gone is a constant battle
around here.

---

From: [email-masked] (Tom Thomson)
Date: 28 Jun 1996 05:31:58 GMT

I had a friend who wore rubber gloves then place the gloved hand in Roundup 
and wiped the grass stems with the Roundup. That way he killed the grassy 
weeds in the flower beds, dis not disturb the roots of the flowers by pulling, 
and did not use excessive amounts of chemical.

In article <[email-masked]>,