Subject: Houseflies, insecticide resistance, damage

From: [email-masked] (K Lawless)
Date: 17 Sep 1995 21:53:16 GMT

HOUSEFLIES AND INSECTICIDE RESISTANCE AND HUMAN DAMAGE- How to
Cope

The most widely-used method of controlling houseflies is to apply 
insecticides to places where adult flies rest. Unfortunately, because 
insecticides have been used to kill houseflies for a number of years, 
many populations are now resistant to several of these products. In some 
instances, resistance has been found after only a few applications of an 
insecticide. Resistance can occur rapidly in houseflies because they have 
a high rate of reproduction; it may occur even more rapidly in 
populations exposed to insecticides in a closed environment such as an 
animal house (poultry house, stable). ....Some opulations of houseflies 
are resistant to nearly all insecticides. Resistant populations are found 
throughout the world and a particular problem where insecticides have 
been used to control houseflies for a long time.  (from Public Health No. 
9, published by Bayer AG, Animal Health Business Group).  The effects of 
insecticides on humans has been the concern of many farmers and the 
subject of organophosphorus pesticides used in killing flies and 
parasites that afflict farm animals and the growing concern of many 
farmers who
feel their health has been damaged by this pesticide has been the subject 
of discussions in many countries.  A new patented development that 
eliminates the need for insecticides has been developed with a system 
that has been tested in the USA and other countries where this system 
traps large numbers of flies at low cost, reducing the spread of disease 
by houseflies to both animals and humans.  Information and data about 
this new system is available to interested parties and agricultural 
groups by mail at no cost to the inquirer.
Contact E Mail address fcnq46a@prodigy or fax your request to 01 205 759 
1962.
FLYMASTER INTERNATIONAL USA