Subject: Re: wetland restoration

From: [email-masked] (Steve DeHoogh)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 07:57:34

In article <[email-masked]> "P.C. Voigt" <[email-masked]> writes:
>From: "P.C. Voigt" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: wetland restoration
>Date: 18 Oct 1995 18:43:01 GMT

>Hello,
>      I am seeking information on the restoration of former wetlands that 
>are now in agricultural production.  My interest is concerning a proposed 
>program involving wetland mitigation and wetland restoration  I would 
>appreciate hearing from anyone with experience or knowledge in this area.
>Thanks.

>P.C. Voigt  

Your best place to get information is from the USDA-Natural Resource 
Conservation Service (used to be the SCS).  They are the people who administer 
the Wetlands Reserve Program and work with farmers to determine which land 
qualifies and then with what is needed to restore the wetlands.

Here in Iowa County, Iowa we have a fairly large project going on wetlands 
restoration.  Several thousand acres are going into the Wetlands Reserve 
through the Wetlands Reserve Program and the Emergency Wetlands program as a 
result of the 1993 flooding problems.  The land is along the Iowa River from 
Tama, in Tama County, down to the start of the Coralville Reservoir (just 
north of Iowa City) in Johnson County.

We have a NRCS satellite office that was set up to work with what is called 
the Iowa River Corridor project.  The person to talk to in that office is Dave 
DeGees and his telephone number is (319) 668-9089.  He is quite knowledgeable 
in the wetlands area.  I am sure he could help you out.

Good Luck.