Subject: >> FINAL POSTING -- ACCOUNT TERMINATED!!

From: [email-masked] (Leor Jacobi)
Date: 20 May 1996 21:03:45 GMT

Please copy freely, in whole or in part, and forward to mailing lists 
and individuals concerned about freedom of expression on the net, animals, 
ecology, and all progressive issues.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

This is to be my final posting from [email-masked].  

Here's why:

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message from this UC Berkeley account to
a number of bulletin boards and mailing lists.  The posting was dictated
to me via walkie-talkie by Josh Tretner, a 20 year old UC Santa Cruz
student activist, from his perch atop Tolman Hall, where he was
nonviolently demonstrating his adamant opposition to animal research.  The
demonstration received considerable publicity, including the front page of
the San Francisco Chronicle, as well as radio and TV.  As much out of a
journalistic interest as out of solidarity with Josh's views, given the
publicity his actions received, I felt that people in the net community
would benefit from the unique opportunity to read a first-hand and
unexpurgiated account of the thoughts, feelings, and motivations that
underlied his action.  

Due to the "controversial" nature of my posting, and despite its message
of nonviolence, enough animal researchers have complained about it that I
am losing this account, where by the undeserved good graces of the system
administrator, I have made thousands of contacts throughout the world. 
The non-profit organization that I founded while still a student at UC
Berkeley has benefitted immensely from the local and global mailing lists
and ftp site that I have set up here.  Just seeing the
mellers1.psych.berkeley.edu login banner stirs up deep emotions within me,
reminding me of the many times that I have felt touched and been able to
touch other people's lives through this account. 

I am not losing any internet access.  I can still be reached at
[email-masked] and the mailing lists will be moving imminently.  But there
is something more than access that has been lost, it is a principle. 

I am not at all bitter over losing the account, although I am
disappointed.  If I had confined my discussion to Beavis and Butthead, the
going price of floozers, the toplogy of nth-dimensional surfaces, or the
weather on Mars, even if I had generated twenty times as many emails and
posts, no one would question my use of the account.  I suspect that
hundreds or even thousands of students, alumni, and friends of people
affiliated with the University use accounts such as these, at virtually no
cost to the University or anyone else, surely a miniscule fraction of
what the University spent for the underground, out of sight and mind,
Northwest Animal Facility, where animal "volunteers" make their grisly
contribution to science. 

My losing of this account is a function purely of my using it to 
bring up vital, important, and controversial topics.

Some have suggested to me that I not "complain" about the losing of this
gift account out of deference to the many others who use accounts such as
these, and who would suffer from a University crackdown on their
existence.  I have decided to go ahead for two reasons: 1) I think
eventually there will be a crackdown regardless of anything I have to say
(and all users who want free access will have to befriend a non-University
sysop or have the indignity of being forced to view advertising appended
to their messages), and 2) I question the utility of these accounts if
they are to be censored. 

Now, since this is to be my final posting, in the interests of closure, I
want to provide you with some string of characters that can in some way
explain, contextualize, and sum up in a nutshell my many thousands of
previous posts from this account.  What I've decided on is an excerpt from
"A Basic Call to Consciousness, the Hau de no sau nee [Iroquois] Address
to the Western World," delivered at the 1977 UN Conference on Indigenous
Peoples.  The passage I will quote from has moved me deeply.  I will
follow this excerpt with a copy of Josh Tretner's "Tears Are Not Enough,"
the posting of which is responsible for my losing this account.  Then, I
will conclude by offering my thanks to some of the many people in the UC
Berkeley campus community who have enriched my life. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

IROQUOIS ADDRESS TO THE WESTERN WORLD

In the beginning we were told that the human beings who walk about on 
the Earth have been provided with all the things necessary for life.  We 
were instructed to carry a love for one another, and to show a great 
respect for all the beings of this Earth.  We were shown that our life 
exists with the tree life, that our well-being depends on the well-being 
of the vegetable life, that we are close relatives of the four-legged beings.

The original instructions direct that we who walk about on Earth are to 
express a great respect, an affection and a gratitude toward all the 
spirits which create and support Life....  When people cease to respect 
and express gratitude for these many things, then all life will be 
destroyed, and human life on this planet will come to an end...

The Indo-European people who have colonized our lands have shown very 
little respect for the things that create and support Life.  We believe 
that these people ceased their respect for the world a long time ago.  
Many thousands of years ago, all the people of the world believed in the 
same Way of Life, that of harmony with the Universe.  All lived according 
to the Natural Ways.

Today the [human] species... is facing a question of its [very]
survival....  The way of life known as Western Civilization is on a death
path on which their own culture has no viable answers.  When faced with
the reality of their own destructiveness, they can only go forward into
areas of more efficient destruction. 

The air is foul, the waters poisoned, the trees dying, the animals are 
disappearing.  We think even the systems of weather are changing.  Our 
ancient teaching warned us that if [we] interfered with the Natural laws, 
these things would come to be.  When the last of the Natural Way of Life 
is gone, all hope for human survival will be gone with it.  And our Way 
of Life is fast disappearing, a victim of the destructive process....

The majority of the world does not find its roots in Western culture or 
tradition.  The majority of the world finds its roots in the Natural 
World, and it is the Natural World, and the traditions of the Natural 
World, which must prevail.

We must consciously and continuously challenge every model, every 
program, and every process that the West tries to force upon us....  The 
people who are living on this planet need to break with the narrow 
concept of human liberation, and begin to see liberation as something 
that needs to be extended to the whole of the Natural World.  What is 
needed is the liberation of all things that support life -- the air, the 
waters, the trees -- all the things which support the sacred web of life.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tears Are Not Enough
by Josh Trenter

April 26, 1996

I am dictating this message via walkie-talkie from my perch on the side 
of Tolman Hall at UC Berkeley.  I scaled the building and built a little 
scaffolding to hold myself and a banner that reads "Tears are not 
enough."  I've been up here for three days all by myself, well, except 
for the crowds of friends below.  Soon I'll run out of food and I'll have 
to come down.  Then I'll be arrested.

I decided to put my body on the line here not because I wanted to, but 
out of a sense of necessity.  Compassionate people have asked, 
petitioned, leafleted, and protested the abuse of animals in University 
laboratories, but in working counter to such an enormous, entrenched 
bureaucracy, sometimes it unfortunately takes more drastic measures to 
enlighten people about the realities of the laboratory and to help foster 
alternatives.

I do believe that a growing number of people are aware of the horrible 
cruelties perpetrated on animals in the labs, have an expanding sense of 
respect for animals and nature, and really do care.  I hope that as a 
result of my actions, some of these people will be motivated to act on 
their beliefs.  I'm sitting up here on this scaffolding to express my 
belief that silent compliance in the face of injustice is not enough.

I don't expect everyone to act as I have, merely to act.  There are so 
many different ways people can play a part in healing our world.

Here is my advice to others:

1. Obtain education about respect for animals and nature.  You have to 
seek this out, because it is not part of the "requirements," 
unfortunately.  Each product we buy has some impact on others.  
Advertising does not give us any of this information, obviously.  Learn 
about how many animals are abused in producing our commodities, and what 
the costs are to the natural world.

2. Attempt to live consistently with your beliefs and ethics.  This takes 
the courage to stand apart from the crowd, but you might be surprised to 
find out how many others are doing the same thing.

3. Help educate others and spread your ideals.  They are vital.

I don't want this issue or any attention to focus on me individually.  
I'm just a person who cares about animals.  I realize that because of my 
actions I may have to make some sacrifices, and this will probably 
include jail time.  So be it.  Nothing that this system could do to me 
could ever compare with what it has done and continues to do to others, 
animals inside this very building.  If my action educates even one person 
and helps them lead a more healthy and respectful life, it will have been 
well worth it.

I won't pay bail or fines, or take probation because I am reluctant to 
reward a system that imprisons respectful people, those acting 
nonviolently in opposition to injustice, be it war, civil rights, toxic 
pollution, animal abuse, or the destruction of native cultures.  I will 
adopt a strict policy of non-cooperation with a system that treats us as 
criminals.  If there are any criminals, surely they are the ones who act 
violently rather than peacefully.  I'm talking about people who profit 
>from  slaughtering, killing, vivisecting, and exploiting other individuals.

If you want my advice on how you can live respectfully or act accordingly,
please feel free to write to me at [email-masked] Please be
patient in expecting a response because I don't know how long I'll be in
jail.  [Note, Josh is free!  :-) ] I'm not going to talk about any illegal
activities via email, so please don't ask me about such things.  Also, I'm
not really interested in long, protracted debates.  There are many
excellent books on the topic and academics you can debate with.  I've
followed the debates a lot more than most, and decided to act accordingly. 
I am more than happy to talk about vegetarianism and compassionate living,
and maybe I can point you in some interesting directions. 

Please join with me.  Please act today.

There is too much pain behind these walls.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(Leor Jacobi again  :-)

Those two writings have been very deeply moving for me, and I couldn't
possible follow them up in any way other than by giving thanks.  I'm sure
that there are many I owe thanks to who I cannot remember, but here are
the ones I do remember: 

Alan Schwartz, a true friend, who has repeatedly gone out of his way to
help me, even when I got him in trouble, and even though I lost his amp. 
We have shared many wonderful experiences together which I will never
forget.  I hope we can share many more. 

Barbara Mellers, who I have never met, but who has supported freedom of
expression on the net, and who has the good fortune to have Alan in her
group. 

The University of California at Berkeley, my alma matter, and all of its
corporate, military, and governmental partners, which provided me with a
great education in spite of itself. 

The Berkeley internet community, especially Rob Robertson, Scott Bonds,
Eric Hollander, and Cliff Stoll, and everyone who supports alternative 
views on the net.  I will miss the old anarchical days of the net.

Everyone at the Financial Aid Office who cares more about the students
than the bureaucracy, especially Lu, Ken, and Darryl.  I once worked at
the office, and tried to get it on-line.  Now, I sincerely hope that
impending automatization will not result in the loss of their jobs, those
who make a demeaning process a little more human, by putting a benevolent
and loving face on the campus machinery.  Lu, you drove me crazy, but
taught me more than you imagine.  Thanks for "The Education of Little
Tree." 

Professor Joe Neilands, for his courage, integrity, and constant support. 

Professor Charles Schwartz, and the Democratize the Regents movement, who 
taught me who my so-called teachers really were.

Professor George Lakoff, for the most edifying course I took at Cal.

Everyone in the Conservation and Resource Studies Department, especially
Professors Alan Miller, Carolyn Merchant, Claudia Carr, and Dr. Raabe. 
Dr.  Raabe, may you rest in peace in a beautiful garden.  While you were
alive, you taught what was important, how we can all grow food.  I wish I
was a better pupil. 

Marti Kheel, who showed me the realities behind the production of eggs.

All the student groups I've ever been associated with or benefitted from,
BSAL, SISA, CalPIRG, Mecha, the Co-Ops, the Daily Cal, the many groups
keeping old cultures alive in the new world, and especially the ASUC 
Recycling Center and the Student Advocate Office. 

Matt Wright, CNMAT, and the Music Department, for the songs that make 
life worth living.

The Anthro Department and the humanities, needed sorely in this age of
inhumanity.  Special thanks to all the multicultural departments and 
to the Women's Studies Department. 

The many Berkeley students I've had the good fortune to live with at 
one time or another: Jeanne, Ori, Gina, Scott S., Scott L. Steve 
D., Paul Yoh, Dave Lerner, Alan, Brad, Sam, George, Adina, Ian, Gregg, Paul, 
Tim, Pete, and everyone from Clark Kerr, Building 4, 1988.  I have 
learned as much from you as from any professor.

UC Berkeley staff, maintenance people, and especially the janitors, the 
ones who really make everything possible on campus.

Lori Stone, a wonderful person, who dragged me back under the University's 
wing.  I hope that someday you'll be proud of what you've done for me.

Mark Breedlove, who taught me valuable lessons about the consciousness of
vivisectors, and how radically it differs from the "Basic Call to
Consciousness" I started this posting with.  I have stored our many email
and bulletin board exchanges and I repeatedly turn to them for insight to
help inform and guide my work.  The knowledge I have gained from my
interactions with Mark will make me a much more effective campaigner for
the liberation of the animal nations. 

I would especially like to thank all vivisectors, especially the ones who
complained about my Posting of Josh Tretner's "Tears are Not Enough." 
Your causing me to lose this account has given me a great moment to pause,
reflect, and give thanks for my good fortune.  I bear no ill will towards
vivisectors, even as I continue to struggle against their practices. 
Although I think that their belief is ludicrous, the belief that the
drugging, mutilating, vivisecting, and killing of captive animals will in
any way deeply contribute to global peace, ecological harmony, democracy,
and natural health -- indeed, even as I feel certain that they are wrong,
I truly hope that they are right. 

In her service,

   /     Leor Jacobi
  /     Vegan Action, PO Box 4353, Berkeley, CA 94704, (510) 654-6297
 /     http://www.vegan.org
/     [email-masked]
-- 
   /     Leor Jacobi
  /     Vegan Action, PO Box 4353, Berkeley, CA 94704, (510) 654-6297
 /     http://www.vegan.org
/     [email-masked]