Subject: Symp. Transcripts on TSE Available

From: [email-masked] (Mark Varner)
Date: 29 Jul 1996 16:38:57 GMT

The full text of the transcripts from a recent symposium on transmissible
spongiform encephalopathies (TSE's) in animals is now available on the
WWW. The symposium was sponsored by the Animal Plant Health Inspection
Service of the United States Department of Agriculture and the Center for
Veterinary Medicine of the US Food and Drug Administration. It was held on
13 & 14 May, 1996, and an electronic version of the transcripts were
graciously provided by Dave Harlan ([email-masked]) of Taylor
By-Products/Taylor Packing Co., Wyalusing, PA

The symposium has particularly good presentations concerning: risk 
management associated with TSE's; the current science on tissue 
distribution, inactivation and transmission of TSE's; and procedures used 
in the animal rendering industry. Included is a presentation describing 
implementation of HACCP concepts in the rendering industry.

The symposium transcripts are available via the bSE/CJD meta-pages of 
links that I maintain at:

http://dairy.umd.edu/varner/bse.html

Those pages have been updated recently and they contain a number of links 
to sites that contain particularly good information for communication of 
the bSE issues to the general public. The direct URL for the APHIS/FDA 
Symposium transcripts is:

http://dairy.umd.edu/varner/aphisfda.html

I hope that helps.

Mark Varner
[email-masked]
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~markv