Subject: Re: Tibet? Dalai Lama? Buddhism? online anywhere yet?

From: [email-masked] (C. Richter)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1993 12:33:21 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Hank Roberts) writes:
>
>
>Who knows? I've got a friend who's a Buddhist nun, online, who heard
>that they were going to get the Dalai Lama's outfit online -- anyone know?
>
>Crossposted to alt.co-evolution (the newsgroup for Whole Earth Catalog
>readers)

There are several attempts to get Dharamsala online underway.  Dharamsala
is where His Holiness and the Tibetan government in exile are based. 

One proposal has been prepared by the International Committee of Lawyers 
for Tibet in association with the APC network.  This proposal calls for 
about $11,000 of funding to send an APC expert with equipment to India 
for three months to get things set up.  The project is still in the 
fundraising stage.  For more info contact John Maier of the ICLT at 
[email-masked]. 

The other, more modest, attempt, spearheaded by the Canada Tibet Committee, 
is to get the Tibetan government's offices in Delhi online to ERNET, the 
Indian branch of Internet.  Once the Delhi connection is functioning (at 
relatively low cost) and the Tibetans are convinced of the power of email, 
it is expected that a Dharamsala-Delhi link will be put in place by the 
Tibetans themselves.  (This link requires some extra hardware and data line
expenses because of the poor telephone connection.)  For more info on this 
scheme, contact the author.

Conrad Richter
Co-Editor
CanTibNet News
[email-masked]