Subject: Seasonal depression/artificial dawn users? (inquiry)

From: [email-masked] (Hank Roberts)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1993 20:14:33 GMT

Several studies recently have reported that 'artificial dawn' -- lights
that get brighter rather like sunrise, timed to come on before natural
dawn during the winter months -- may work as well as the super-bright
light treatments for seasonal gloom.

I've been looking at a number of simple 'light alarm clocks' recently
which, while not sold as medical devices, interest me as being possibly
useful for people who want to try this approach out;  it's a lifelong
interest for me, I built my first 'alarm clock' on a timer 30 years ago
(but sadly the relay's click woke me before the lights did, abruptly!).

Posting now to inquire particularly whether there are readers in the Southern
Hemisphere, on their way into wintertime now, who are using anything in
the way of lights themselves, in the next few months.  I'm a writer, not
working for or with any of the equipment sources, but rather looking for
people who can "review" these things.  I've crossposted to my 'home'
newsgroup, alt.co-evolution, because I referred briefly to artificial
dawn in an article in the September '92 Whole Earth Review (formerly
CoEvolution Quarterly, part of the Whole Earth Catalog publishing operation)
and that's where I'll pitch anything more that comes form this inquiry.

(For info on Whole Earth, email    [email-masked]    and for the Review
and the Catalog, inquire of your local librarian)

A
or the various Catalogs, inquire of your local librarian).