Subject: Re: What is `co-evolution'?

From: [email-masked] (Tim Ferguson)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1993 02:51:18 GMT

Co-evolution is an idea that individual species don't evolve in
isolation but coevolve in the context of an evolving
plant/animal/climate totality.  Examples are plants, animals, and
environments so intricately related that they could not exist without
the others like honey bees and clover, bats and suaro cacti, and the
modern atmosphere together with the forms of life that created it and
regulate it.

The co-evolution this newsgroup title refers to was the title of a
serialized version of the Whole Earth Catalog called The Co-Evolution
Quarterly.  It presently exists as the Whole Earth Review, is published
in Sausalito, CA, has editorial upheavals, like earthquakes, at
frequent and unpredictable intervals, and I love it dearly.  One of
their cultural spin offs is a computer net called the Well (Whole Earth
'Lectronic Link) which is doing very well as a discussion clearinghouse
and whatever.

This  newsgroup was founded by a disgruntled WELL user who felt that
the current editor was hoggin too much bandwidth.  I don't know exactly
what that means except its how you yell "ROADHOG!" here on the
information highway.  I followed a couple of discussions about garden
spirits, then there was some prank/crank territorial claims.  Nothing
coming close to the vitality of the magazine has happened here to my
knowledge although I often don't read newsgroups for months.

This newsgroup is an empty mailbox.  I first intended to add "looking
for a soul", but I think its simply a topic which never hatched much
less took wings.

Tim Ferguson,RN
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
Lebanon, NH  03756

I add my address in semipostal form because I find the everywhereness
of the internet to be disconcerting.  TF