Subject: (fwd) NEWS: Food Safety Week - 5/3/94 (fwd)
From: [email-masked] (Sal Schettino)
Date: 5 May 1994 16:42:44 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 5 May 94 12:00:15 PDT
From: Sal Schettino <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: (fwd) NEWS: Food Safety Week - 5/3/94 (fwd)

Path: coyote.rain.org!news.cerf.net!usc!howland.reston.ans.net!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!eff!news.duke.edu!concert!bigblue.oit.unc.edu!oit-mail2news-gateway
From: [email-masked] (Matthew Lehman)
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture
Subject: NEWS: Food Safety Week - 5/3/94 (fwd)
Date: 5 May 1994 02:29:32 -0400
Organization: sustag-public mailing list
Lines: 303
Sender: [email-masked]
Distribution: world
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: samba.oit.unc.edu
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII

Date: 04 May 94 06:32 PDT
From: Michelle Thom <[email-masked]>
To: "Recipients of conference susag.news" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Food Safety Week - 5/3/94

Food Safety Week
Produced by the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
May 3, 1994
Volume 2, Number 9
_____________________________________________
HEADLINES
_____________________________________________
- rBGH NEWS OF THE WEEK
- LABELING GUIDELINES TAKE EFFECT THIS WEEK
- CLINTON RELEASES PESTICIDE REFORM PROPOSAL
- WSJ ATTACKS FOOD & WATER
- FARMER TO FARMER ASKS ORGANIC INTERESTS TO COMMENT ON 
NOSB PROPOSAL
- MEAT NEWS
_____________________________________________
NEWS SUMMARIES
_____________________________________________
rBGH NEWS OF THE WEEK

Six dairy and food industry groups filed a suit in U.S. District Court in 
Burlington, Vermont last week over Vermont's mandatory labeling 
law for milk and dairy products derived from cows treated with 
recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH or BST).  The lawsuit, 
filed by the International Dairy Foods Association (IFDA), the Grocery 
Manufacturers of America (GMA), the Milk Industry Foundation 
(MIF), the International Ice Cream Association (IICA), the National 
Food Processors Association (NFPA) and the National Cheese Institute 
(NCI), alleges that the Vermont law violates the U.S. Constitution on 
two fronts:  federal supremacy and interstate commerce.  "The 
Vermont law is bad news for consumers and (the food) industry.  It 
raises serious constitutional questions as well as setting the stage to 
mislead and misinform consumers about the safety of dairy 
products," said Jeff Nedelman of the GMA.  

Supporters of the legislation countered that the Vermont law is both 
enforceable and necessary.  "Some very big corporations don't want 
consumers to have the right to make their own decisions.  They are 
trying to take away a very basic right," said Joan Mulhern of the 
Vermont Public Interest Group.  "Vermonters are wondering 'who 
are these guys who don't want us to know about BGH?'" said dairy 
farmer Jenny Nelson.  Vermont's attorney general said last week that 
he did not know that the suit had been filed.  "I am not surprised 
that there is litigation over the BST issue," he said.

In response to the growing labeling legislation movement, NFPA 
recently asked the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to clarify its 
voluntary labeling guidelines "to assure national uniformity of any 
state labeling requirements." 

Recently, Maine Governor John McKernan signed a voluntary labeling 
bill into law.  Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson also signed 
voluntary labeling legislation last week.  In addition, labeling 
legislation is pending in Minnesota, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, 
New York, Connecticut, Michigan, New Hampshire, Missouri, West 
Virginia and New Mexico.

Hot off the press is an announcement by two Minnesota-based 
processors that they will begin marketing a new rBGH-free fluid milk 
product this week.  Land O'Lakes and Kemp's Marigold said they will 
be certifying their producers through a signed affidavit system.  The 
Marigold product will bear a label on the carton which contains the 
FDA contextual language; Land O'Lakes will be placing signs in the 
dairy sections where their product is sold.  A Monsanto spokesperson 
said the company was "disappointed" about the move.  A third 
processor, Schroeder Milk, jumped on the bandwagon, saying they 
will be offering a labeled product in the very near future.

When questioned recently about the two pending lawsuits against 
Swiss Valley and the Pure Milk and Ice Cream Company by 
Monsanto, a Monsanto spokesperson said the two dairies "falsely 
imply to consumers that labeled products are safer, more wholesome 
and in other ways superior to milk from BST-supplemented cows."  
The Land O'Lakes product is called Superior; the Marigold product is 
called Select.

Sources at the state capitol say dairy industry and Monsanto 
lobbyists are now trying to convince lawmakers that no need exists 
for the voluntary legislation.  Supporters of the bill say it is 
necessary to ensure a future supply of rBGH-free milk if the Land 
O'Lakes and Kemp's products fail due to the higher cost they are 
charging consumers.

Source:  Wilson Ring, "Suit Challenges BST Labeling," BURLINGTON 
FREE PRESS, April 26, 1994; "BGH Labeling Law Supporters Respond 
to Lawsuit," VPIRG PRESS RELEASE, April 28, 1994; Joel McNair, 
"Lawsuit Likely Over Vermont BGH Labeling Rule," AGRI VIEW, April 
22, 1994; "Washington Report," DAIRY PROFIT WEEKLY, April 18, 
1994; "States Weigh BST Labeling, Industry Seeks FDA Guidance," 
NUTRITION LABELING WATCH, April 25, 1994; Scott Kilman, "Dairy 
Food Concerns Launch Products From Cows Not Treated With 
Hormone," WALL STREET JOURNAL, May 2, 1994; Anne O'Connor, 
"Marigold, Land O'Lakes Offer Hormone Free Milk," MINNEAPOLIS 
STAR TRIBUNE, April 30, 1994; Land O'Lakes Press Release, April 29, 
1994;  Paul Adams, "NFU Calls for Monsanto Product Boycott," AGRI 
WEEK, April 28, 1994.

LABELING GUIDELINES TAKE EFFECT THIS WEEK

Food processors across the nation will be implementing new FDA 
labeling guidelines this week.  The new labels   will bear dietary 
information claims such as "lite" and "low-cholesterol" must fit 
certain guidelines.  The FDA announced at the end of March that 
stores would be allowed to carry products that were packaged in old 
material prior to May 8.  However, processing companies must 
discard old packaging materials after that date.  Many food 
processors are reportedly angry over the decision.  "The final 
decision was excruciatingly clear, but all the talk before that wasn't," 
said John Roberts of the National Association for Specialty Food.

Source:  Steven W. Colford, "Food Makers Await FTC Ad Guidance," 
ADVERTISING AGE, April 18, 1994; "Package Panic?" WALL STREET 
JOURNAL, April 21, 1994.

CLINTON RELEASES PESTICIDE REFORM PROPOSAL

Last week, the Clinton administration released its proposal for 
reforming two of the nation's laws that govern pesticide residues in 
food.  The proposal would allow a certain amount of pesticide 
residues in food products if "a reasonable certainty of no harm" 
exists.  The proposal covers both raw and processed foods.

The Clinton plan would scrap the Delaney Clause of the 1958 Food, 
Drug and Cosmetic Act.  Delaney said that no known carcinogens 
would be allowed in processed foods.  The proposal also amends the 
Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA).    

Neither industry nor public interest groups like the Clinton plan.  
Industry groups favor the Lehman-Bliley bill, which would eliminate 
cancer-causing substances that pose more than a negligible risk but 
takes into consideration the economic impacts farmers might face if a 
pesticide must be removed from the market.  Steve Ziller of the 
Grocery Manufacturers said the proposal contains some "fatal flaws."

Consumer and environmental groups support a bill by California 
Representative Henry Waxman.  The Waxman bill would essentially 
prohibit the use of any probable carcinogen.  

Carol Browner of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) 
defended the Clinton proposal, calling it the biggest food safety 
breakthrough in 20 years.  "You're looking at all risks, not just 
cancer.  You'll be looking at reproductive risks, you'll be looking at 
effects on the brain, effects on the immune system.  You'll be looking 
at all of the effects, not just some of the effects," she said.

Source:  John H. Cushman, Jr., "Clinton Proposes Revising Pesticide 
Regulations," NEW YORK TIMES, April 27, 1994; Robert Greene, 
"Pesticide Bill," AP, April 23, 1994; "Clinton Pesticide Bill Would Alter 
Calculation of Food Cancer Risks," INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY, April 
27, 1994.

WSJ ATTACKS FOOD & WATER

A recent editorial in the WALL STREET JOURNAL attacked that 
Vermont-based group Food & Water for its position on food 
irradiation.  The editorial said the need for irradiation, which 
involves the application of radioactive waves to food in an effort to 
kill pathogens and other pests, is obvious given an outbreak of food 
borne illness linked to eating hamburger at a fast food chain in the 
Pacific Northwest last year.  Food & Water has questioned the safety 
of the technology for the past several years and has lead  a 
successful campaign to keep irradiated food products out of grocery 
stores.  The JOURNAL criticized the group for having only six 
scientists -- "all are longtime antinuclear activists" -- working with 
them.  The editorial also contained a partial list of the foundations 
which fund Food & Water's activities.  

Source:  "Food & Hysteria," WALL STREET JOURNAL, April 27, 1994.

FARMER TO FARMER ASKS ORGANIC INTERESTS TO COMMENT ON 
NOSB PROPOSAL

In a recent memo, Farmer to Farmer asks organic farmers and public 
interest groups to comment on the proposal by the National Organic 
Standards Board (NOSB) to approve the use of  synthetic substances 
in organic food production.  NOSB's processing committee has 
recommended that synthetic substances, including products of 
biotechnology,  be allowed in organic production.  The committee also 
recommended that non-organic ingredients and processing aids be 
labeled organic without going through the NOSB and the USDA.  
Farmer to Farmer asks interested parties to comment on the proposal 
and urge that no synthetic substances be allowed in processing or 
post-harvesting of organic foods.  For more information, contact Eric 
Ardapple Kindberg, Ozark Small Farm Viability Project, Tel/Fax:  
(501) 434-5265.  

Source:  "Call to Action," FARMER TO FARMER, April 7, 1994.

MEAT NEWS

The USDA has selected a salmonella detection project as its top 
research priority.  The Agricultural Research Service said the 
proposal to develop an electronic test for detecting salmonella was 
ranked first among more than 300 proposals submitted to the 
agency.  The test, proposed by chemist Jeffrey Brewster, will detect 
the presence of salmonella in water used to clean poultry carcasses 
during processing.  The USDA said it hopes the technology can be 
extended to other food pathogens if the test can be developed and 
perfected.

The USDA is expected to kick-off a campaign aimed at educating 
consumers about uncooked hamburgers today.  USDA officials will be 
present at a press conference in Atlanta, Georgia to kick-off the 
campaign with the distribution of two million postcards to school age 
children and others.  The postcards feature a slogan that reads:  
"Before you take a bite, make sure it's brown in the middle."  Signed 
by Secretary of Agriculture Mike Espy, the card also contains safe 
cooking and handling instructions, warning consumers to cook meat 
to a temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.  The Safe Food Coalition 
said the USDA must be more aggressive in inspecting meat and 
poultry.

Last month, a WALL STREET JOURNAL article implied that the 
poultry industry might be getting preferential treatment by the 
Clinton administration given the first family's close ties to chicken 
mogul Don Tyson, owner of Tyson Foods.  Tyson responded in a 
recent letter to the editor, saying he was weary of such claims.  
"Neither I personally, nor Tyson Foods, Inc., has in any way asked for 
or received special or preferential from any Clinton administration 
(sic)."  He goes on to say that his company works very closely with 
government agencies in 17 states to ensure a safe poultry supply.  
"Our own quality standards are generally much higher than those 
required by government," he said.  

A recent NEW YORK TIMES article says that Foodmaker, parent 
company of the Jack-in-the-Box fast food chain, is still struggling to 
recover after at least three deaths and several hundred illnesses 
were linked to eating hamburger from the restaurant over a year 
ago.  Despite implementing a promising marketing campaigned aimed 
at reclaiming lost and leery customers, securities analysts say it will 
probably take the company another year to recover losses as a result 
of the outbreak of food poisoning.

The Minneapolis school district recently canceled a day of "meat-out" 
activities after complaints by the Minnesota Beef Council.  The events 
were scheduled as part of the district's Earth Day activities and 
included a meal that did not contain meat products.  "The allegation 
that meat is somehow detrimental to the earth is false," said Ron 
Eustice of the Council.

The European Commission warned that it will file an injunction 
against Germany if it proceeds with its threat to ban imports of 
British beef based on fears about bovine spongiform encephalopathy 
(BSE), otherwise known as mad cow disease.  Traditionally, it would 
take the European Court of Justice about 18 months to file an 
injunction to deal with trade conflicts between European Union (EU) 
member nations.  "In this case, we can get an injunction within two 
weeks," said one official.  Last week, German Health Minister Horst 
Seehofer said he would resign if Germany did not take action to ban 
British beef.  "The position of the Germans is entirely unacceptable," 
said British Agriculture Minister Gillian Shephard in response.  

Source:  "Salmonella Detection Research at USDA Lab Picked As Top 
Project," USDA NEW RELEASE, April 4, 1994; "U.S. Campaign Warns of 
Hazards of Eating Undercooked Burgers," WALL STREET JOURNAL, 
May 3, 1994; Don Tyson, "Truth and Fiction About Tyson Foods," 
WALL STREET JOURNAL, April 22, 1994; Calvin Sims, "Market Place," 
NEW YORK TIMES, April 26, 1994; Amy Jo Brandel, "District Cancels 
Anti-Meat Activities," AGRI WEEK, April 14, 1994;  David Gardner, 
"Brussels and Bonn Near Beef Deadlock," FINANCIAL TIMES, April 26, 
1994.
_____________________________________________
RESOURCES
_____________________________________________
Meat Safety:  Inspection System's Ability to Detect Harmful Bacteria 
Remains Limited (GAO-T-RCED-94-123) is now available.  For a copy, 
write GAO, Washington, D.C. 20548.
_____________________________________________
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
_____________________________________________
INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON CROP PROTECTION, May 3, 1994, 
Gent, Belgium.  FFI, contact:  Dr. L. Tirry, Faculty of Agriculture and 
Applied Biological Sciences, Coupure Links 653, B-900 Gent, Belgium, 
Tel:  (32 09) 264-6152, Fax:  (32 09) 264-6239.

BIOTECHNOLOGY AND FOOD: A PUBLIC ISSUE FOR EXTENSION 
EDUCATION (nationwide video conference), May 12, 1994.  FFI, 
contact: Gene Schriefer, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Tel: (608) 
262-8065).

CUISINE, AGRICULTURE AND SOCIAL CHANGE, June 9-12, 1994, 
Tucson, AZ.  FFI, contact:  Gerry Walter, 59 Mumford, 1301 West 
Gregory Drive, Urbana, IL 61801, Tel:  (217) 333-9429, Fax:  (217) 
244-7503, email:  [email-masked].
_____________________________________________
Produced by:  Michelle Thom, Institute for Agriculture and Trade 
Policy, 1313 5th Street SE Suite 303, Minneapolis, MN 55414, Tel:  
(612) 379-5980  Fax:  (612) 379-5982  EMail:  [email-masked] or 
[email-masked].  In addition to this news bulletin, the 
Institute publishes a variety of news bulletins on agriculture, the 
environment and international trade.  All bulletins may be 
reproduced and distributed freely without prior permission as long 
as proper attribution is included.  A copy of any publication in which 
an IATP bulletin is cited would be appreciated.