Subject: Re: DNA engineering (fwd)
From: [email-masked] (Sal Schettino)
Date: 8 May 1994 17:25:58 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

I think its straightforward if you inject a genetically engineered 
hormone in to something or add some gene to the DNA label it so that us 
that don't want to take part in this can tell the stuff you have not 
altered from the other produce out there.  I'm not drawing any lines If 
you want to inject the gene that turtles use to make shells in to a man 
he may sure make a nice soldier but I don't want to have any part of it.I 
myself don't want to eat tomatoes with an extra gene to ward off virus. 
Some  may like the new food. In fact a poor man would be happy if you 
gave him a glass of water but me I have been 
eating tomatoes for years and drinking milk for years with out the extra 
genetic engineering and don't want to start now and the only way to 
tell is if the food is  labeled. Is anyone keeping track on whats going 
on.  Whos in charge of what Genetically engineered food reaches the 
market.  Can just anyone add a gene here and there and start selling the 
produce. Who says ok feed it to the people its ok.I feel if I hear on the 
nation wide news that genetically 
engineered tomatoes are coming to the west cost someone thinks that they 
are different than whats been on the market so how straight forward can 
it be just label them tomatoes or whatever it is this week that they are 
releasing.. If a person feels he needs or 
wants some genetically made medicine or food ok it will probable be on 
a label or he at lest knows what he is  getting but when all the milk and 
tomatoes look the same how does one tell?  Are those tomatoes here yet 
heck I don't know does that milk come from injected cows heck I can't 
tell. A gene here and a gene there to enhance production or taste or 
freshness may be ok .May that the key word.May.Evolution Tinkers please 
label you work. How straightforward can it be? What is it with this flood 
of genetically engineered food comming to market all of a sudden this 
year.Is this a good time to slip your invention through the FDA? Are 
genetically engineered growth hormones drugs.Does any of the new stuff 
have any long term health effects on people?  
 that On 7 May 1994, Louis Hom wrote:

>   What about less subtle cases, where you'd like to place a gene in a
> plant that comes from a member of the same species?  genus? family?  These are
> the reasons I don't like requiring labeling of things as "genetically 
> engineered" in the supermarket.  It's not that straightforward.
> -- 
> 										****************************************************************************
> *   Lou Hom			*	"All folks are family."            *
> *   [email-masked]       *    			-- John Saponara   * 
> ****************************************************************************
>