Subject: Re: DNA engineering (fwd)
From: [email-masked] (Sal Schettino)
Date: 9 May 1994 14:02:59 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

Breeding is different.  thats in the bible ,grafting ,buding or breeding 
livestock to get more milk and better bigger meat.  Nothing wrong with  
that but when you start adding genes and other dna enginerred stuff I 
just donnot think man should play God.  I don't think the stuff I eat 
needs all that much improvement. Where is it going to stop.  That stuff 
is only as good as far as we know  for as long as it's been tested.  
Grafting ,budding ,crossbreeding thats be around for a long time and yes 
I trust it.  Its been well tested and long tested.They pass the test of 
time. Anyway the reasons I don't want to eat the dna altered food are my 
reasons and there are quite a few of them.  Some theological some health 
some maybe I feel its bad for the cow,bad for the small farmer and bad 
for the people that drink the milk,   but the 
reasons 
one does not want drink the milk  from cows that have been injected with 
Genetically engineered Bovine Growth 
Hormone has little to do with the fact that it should be labeled. There 
seems to be overwhelming public support for full disclosure.  Now how are we 
going to do that?   I look at the tomatoes and the milk in the stores and 
I don't see any way one can tell. Some people what to know how much fat 
is in someting or how much salt etc to see if the food is safe for them 
to eat.  Maybe they feel too much fat is bad for them.  I would like to 
know how much of the genetically engineered gene or growth hormone is in 
the food. If mankind adds it they should tell us thay have added it. I 
would also like to know how much pestisides,herbisides,etc. are added to the 
food. Some how I think those thing are more improtant to my health than 
how much fat is in the food.  Would it be nice to be able to add up all 
the growth hormones and extra genes and extra pestisides etc and see if 
you are under the %RDA for the day.