Subject: Sustainable livestock production
From: [email-masked] (MarkLSP)
Date: 9 May 1994 14:41:02 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

I am working with family farm livestock producers in the Upper Midwest who are
dealing with the effort by investors and agribusinesses to vertically integrate
the hog industry.  I would appreciate information from any readers of this
newsgroup thta may be of help to me.  In particular, information about:
1) sustainable swine production practices -- any journal articles, researchers,
or farmers raising hogs in a way that is environmentally sound and economically
profitable.  I am connected with people in Minnesota, but would be interested
in finding out more what people are doing in other states.
2) the environmental, social, and economic impact of very large-scale livestock
confinenment operations -- like those operating in North Carolina, or being
established in Missouri and Oklahoma.  The Land Stewardship Project is working
with other organizations to put together a report on the environmental risks of
large-scale livestock confinement operations, and would be interested in any
information readers of this list have about that.

Thanks in advance.

Contact: 
Mark Schultz
Land Stewardship Project
3724 12th Ave. So.
Minneapolis, MN  55407
(612)823-5221
e-mail:  [email-masked]