Subject: PANUPS: Online Resource Pointer #3
From: [email-masked] (EcoNet Pesticide Issue Desk)
Date: 10 May 1994 00:56:39 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

From: EcoNet Pesticide Issue Desk <pestdesk>

=============================================================
  PESTICIDE ACTION NETWORK NORTH AMERICA UPDATES SERVICE
=============================================================

Online Resource Pointer #3

May 6, 1994

For copies of the following resources, please contact the 
appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

*The WHO Recommended Classification of Pesticides by Hazard 
and Guidelines to Classification 1994-1995*.  World Health 
Organization.  This document contains the classification of 
pesticides according to their oral and dermal toxicity, and 
their physical state as recommended by the World Health 
Assembly.  64pp.  This document is not issued to the general 
public but may be available to government and non-government 
institutions.  International Programme on Chemical Safety, 
World Health Organization, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland.

*Environment and Agriculture: Rethinking Development Issues 
in the 21st Century*, 1994.  Winrock International.  
Development specialists debate the  issues of environment and 
agriculture and how they will affect development decisions in 
the 21st century.  Keynote papers and extensive discussions 
explore the state of agricultural development knowledge, 
including enhancing soil resources, the outlook for water 
resources, how poor people impact the environment, forestry 
policies, range and wildlife resources, protecting 
biodiversity, and the future of development assistance.  
265pp.  US$24.95.  Winrock Publication Sales, P.O. Box 0363, 
Arlington, VA 22209-0363; phone (703) 525-9430; fax (703) 
525-1744.

*Agricultural Transformation in Africa*, 1993.  Winrock 
International.  Specialists in the economic development of 
sub-Saharan Africa examine the characteristics of an 
agricultural transformation, debate the nature of recent 
trends in African rural development and natural resource 
stability, explore key linkages between the agricultural and 
nonagricultural sectors, and speculate on how the 
transformation of African agriculture can be promoted.  
208pp.  US$14.95.  Winrock Publication Sales, 1611 North Kent 
St., Arlington, VA 22209-2134; phone (703) 525-9430; fax 
(703) 525-1744.

*Sustainable Agriculture and the Environment in the Humid 
Tropics*, 1993.  National Research Council.  The Committee on 
Sustainable Agriculture and the Environment in the Humid 
Tropics arrived at three major findings: degraded lands in 
the humid tropics have the potential to be restored;  land 
use systems exist ranging from those with minimal disturbance 
of natural resources to those that involve substantial 
clearing of forests; and some locales of the humid tropics 
are successfully shifting from economic growth that is based 
largely on forest harvest to a more diversified economy 
involving substantial nonfarm employment.  The Committee 
recognizes that progress toward sustainability in the humid 
tropics depends not only on the availability of improved 
techniques of land use, but on the creation of a more 
favorable environment for development, dissemination and 
implementation of these techniques.  The committee's 
recommendations fall into the categories of technical 
research needs and policy strategies.  702pp.  US$49.95.  
National Academy Press, 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW, Lock 
Box 285, Washington, D.C. 20055; phone (202) 334-3313 or 
(800) 624-6242.    

*Pesticides in the Home and Community: Health Risks and 
Policy Alternatives*, 1994.  James C. Robinson, et al.  This 
report describes use patterns and health risks, assesses the 
risks involved in urban pesticide use, surveys the range of 
strategies currently used to manage the risks, provides a 
framework for evaluating each approach, and presents an 
alternative approach to urban pest control.  One of the 
recommendations involves placing a high sales tax on 
pesticides based on their toxicity, to both decrease 
pesticide purchase and provide funds to develop alternatives 
and educate the public.  108pp.  2020 Milvia Street, Suite 
412, Berkeley, CA 94704; phone (510) 642-5514; fax (510) 642-
8793.

*Managing Global Genetic Resources: Agricultural Crop Issues 
and Policies*, 1993.  National Research Council.  A new 
report from a committee of the National Research Council's 
Board on Agriculture evaluates worldwide efforts to preserve 
genetic material.  The final volume in a series of reports on 
this topic, it recommends a new foundation for managing 
global genetic resources for the future.  It also explores 
topics such as equitable sharing of the benefits or genetic 
resources among developing and developed countries, 
proprietary rights, international conservation and 
management, and the economic value of genetic resources.  
449pp.  US$49.95 (+ $4 shipping for the first copy and $.50 
for each additional copy).  National Academy Press, 2101 
Constitution Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20418; phone (202) 334-
3313 or (800) 624-6242.    

* * *

The Online Resource Pointer is a new feature of PANUPS, 
PANNA's online news update service.  The Online Resource 
Pointer is an extension of the Resource Pointer, a regular 
feature in our quarterly newsletter, the Global Pesticide 
Campaigner, which lists selected books, reports, periodicals, 
articles and videos that focus on issues related to 
pesticides and sustainable agriculture.  

The Online Resource Pointer is available to our online PANUPS 
subscribers and can be found in the appropriate EcoNet 
conferences, the public conference on RTK NET, GeoNet in the 
PESTICIDES-BBS bulletin board, the EcoNet echo on FidoNet, 
the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SANET) on BitNet, and 
PENpages agriculture information service at Penn State 
University.

We welcome those interested in having resources listed in the 
Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of 
publications, videos or other sources to our office (address 
listed below) or to contact Publications and Information 
Coordinator Ellen Hickey or Information Program Associate 
Gina Bearse for further information.  
=============================================================
The Pesticide Action Network Updates Service (PANUPS) is a 
pesticide-related news service posted weekly by the Pesticide 
Action Network North America Regional Center (PANNA). PANNA is 
located at 116 New Montgomery Street, #810, San Francisco, CA 
94105. Tel: (415) 541-9140. Fax: (415) 541-9253. To receive a 
standard information packet about the Pesticide Action Network 
send a short e-mail message to [email-masked].
=============================================================