Subject: Request for Help
From: [email-masked] (Charles Benbrook)
Date: 12 May 1994 17:07:53 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

REQUEST FOR HELP
                                   5/12/94
SANET:

     I recently spoke with Dr. Michael Fernandez, a member of the
Senate Ag Committee professional staff.  Mike recently posted a
request for information on viable alternatives to carbofuran use in
sorghum.  His request is part of a larger effort by the Committee
to determine whether there are viable alternative pest management
practices, or not.  A number of major legislative actions will be
taken in the next two years, both authorizing (FIFRA, Farmbill,
Clean Water, Green Technology, etc), as well as appropriations (FY
1995 bills will be marked up in next couple of months;
administration work proceeds on FY 1996 in the agencies). 

     In response to Mike's request, I have provided a detailed
report on the economics and growing efficacy of mating disruption
for coddling moth control in apples/pears in California.  This
report, done for the Pear Pest Management Research Fund by Calif.
consultant Pat Weddle ([email-masked]), documents the great
strides made in just three years in reducing the cost/acre and
effectiveness of pheromone confusion, not to mention significant
reduction in Guthion use.  I also passed along two farm reports
from Florida, done by Glades Crop Care, again documenting the steps
taken to reduce pest pressure and pesticide use.  

     I hope others will send along such reports.  Mike asks that
they be relatively brief, specific, preferably with economic
consequences made clear.  Mike's e-mail address is:

     [email-masked]

His phone # is:  202-224-5207;  address:  328-A Russell Senate
Office Bldg,  Washington, D.C.  20510.