Subject: Organic Food
From: [email-masked] (Lowell Zelinski)
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 05:35:26 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Larry London) wrote:

> 
> I've been eating organic produce for years. There's simply no comparing
> the taste, look and overall quality of organic verses commercial.
> You've never tasted strawberries or tomatoes unless they're out of a
> local organic garden.
> 
> In Santa Cruz Country we are fortunate to have numerous organic farms
> and orchards and the community has strongly embraced the quality of
> these products over Safeway's wares.

Aren't we being a little pretentious here.  I'm sure most of the people in
Rwanda and Somilia eat "organic" food and don't care about that fact at
all.

"Organic" food (what kind of food isn't organic?) is a luxury for the well
off people of Europe and America.  Most of the world has to eat organic
food with all the attendant risks of spoilage and contamination by
"organic" microorganisms.  

I assume (though maybe incorrectly) that you wash your food - or cook prior
to consumption.  Why do you do this?  It wouldn't be for the pesticidial
effects of these processes would it?

Those who preach "organic" food production are uniformed and misguided, and
as I've said before, if they are so found of 18th century science why not
spend time trying to convert lead into gold. It would be much more
profitable.

(Mr London - If you want to flame me, please do it public this time so the
rest of the internet can partake of your putative wit)

-- 
Lowell

What a long strange trip its been