Subject: ???
From: [email-masked] (Bowman, Bruce)
Date: 19 May 1994 10:12:43 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

>>(Larry London) wrote:
>>
>>> 
>>> I've been eating organic produce for years. There's simply no comparing
>>> the taste, look and overall quality of organic verses commercial.
>>> You've never tasted strawberries or tomatoes unless they're out of a
>>> local organic garden.
>>> 
>>> In Santa Cruz Country we are fortunate to have numerous organic farms
>>> and orchards and the community has strongly embraced the quality of
>>> these products over Safeway's wares.
>>
>>Aren't we being a little pretentious here.  I'm sure most of the people in
>>Rwanda and Somilia eat "organic" food and don't care about that fact at
>>all.

They're probably glad to have anything...but this seems quite irrelevant to me.

>>"Organic" food (what kind of food isn't organic?) is a luxury for the well
>>off people of Europe and America.  Most of the world has to eat organic
>>food with all the attendant risks of spoilage and contamination by
>>"organic" microorganisms.  

Are you saying, then, that conventionally-grown food does not rot?

When your produce is locally-grown, spoilage is much less of a problem. The big 
problem with flavor is the practice of picking things green and using varieties 
that are chosen for their ability to ship. If conventional agriculture would 
pursue this avenue, their product might very well be just as tasty. The fact 
of the matter is, except in a few cases, they don't (Red Gold tomatoes in 
Indiana make a wonderful product, however).

>>I assume (though maybe incorrectly) that you wash your food - or cook prior
>>to consumption.  Why do you do this?  It wouldn't be for the pesticidial
>>effects of these processes would it?

One cooks in order to tenderize or for other purposes, one washes to remove the 
dirt. Do you prefer your green beans raw? Are you saying that those who prefer 
organic produce should put up with grit in their teeth?

>>Those who preach "organic" food production are uniformed and misguided, and
>>as I've said before, if they are so found of 18th century science why not
>>spend time trying to convert lead into gold. It would be much more
>>profitable.
>>
>>(Mr London - If you want to flame me, please do it public this time so the
>>rest of the internet can partake of your putative wit)

It would appear that I am catching the end of a long-time feud here. However, 
if you have a point, I would very much prefer that you make it, rather than 
indulging in empty rhetoric. 

Your uniformed [sic] friend,
Bruce Bowman

P.S. Actually, converting lead into gold can and has been done. It simply isn't 
profitable.

From: BOWMAN BRUCE E                (MCVAX0::RC30906)

To:   VMS MAIL ADDRESSEE            (IN::"[email-masked]")