Subject: Re: Organic Food
From: [email-masked] (Louis Hom)
Date: 20 May 1994 02:03:40 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

In article <1738700035@cdp>, Brian Baker  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>Study this one carefully, folks. It's the classic logical fallacy of the "False
>Dichotomy." To answer your parenthetical question, Lowell, "organic" has come to
>mean food grown without most synthetic chemical fertilizers and pesticides. 

IMHO, the real false dichotomy here is that "there exist two kinds of farmers:
organic farmers and farmers who use nasty chemicals".  As far as I'm concerned,
7 applications of rotenone-pyrethrum are at least as nasty as two applications
of imidan (NYSAES study comparing their effectiveness).  And,The data show that
natural chemicals are just as carcinogenic as synthetic ones.  That's pretty
nasty in my book.
-- 
										****************************************************************************
*   Lou Hom			*	"All folks are family."            *
*   [email-masked]       *    			-- John Saponara   * 
****************************************************************************