Subject: CALENDAR: June, 1994
From: [email-masked] (Gabriel Hegyes)
Date: 25 May 1994 19:10:07 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

CALENDAR OF SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE EVENTS 
SARE/ACE CALENDAR FOR FY 1994

Updated:  25 May 1994

Sponsored by the Sustainable Agriculture Network & the Alternative
Farming Systems Information Center 

If you would like us to include your events please send
the event name, place, contact, and sponsor, to Alternative Farming
Systems Information Center, ATTN: SAN/AFSIC Calendar, Room 304,
National Agricultural Library, 10301 Baltimore Boulevard,
Beltsville, Maryland 20705-2351. FAX: (301) 504-6409.  
INTERNET:   [email-masked]                                   
  
* Events added since last edition

1994

June 5-8, 1994
Event:    International Symposium:  ENVIRONMENTAL AGRICULTURE-   
          towards 2000  (ISEAT-2000)
Place:    Queensland, Australia
Contact:  ISEAT Symposium Secretariat, National Australia Travel 
          LtdPO Box 9909 Brisbane, Queensland Australia.  Phone: 
          +61 75 390333.  FAX: +61 75 390195.  Email to Andrew   
          Campbell, Convening Committee,  [email-masked]  

June 7-10, 1994
Event:    Society & Resource Management: The Fifth International 
          Symposium on Society and Resource Management
Place:    Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 
Contact:  Jennifer Pate, Symposium Coordinator, at: 
          (303) 491-2077.

June 9-12, 1994
Event:    A Conference on Cuisine, Agriculture, and Social Change
Place:    Westward Look Resort,  Tucson, Arizona
Contact:  Ann Tinsley, Dept. of Nutritional
          Sciences, Univ. of Arizona, Tucson AZ 85721
Sponsor:  The Agriculture, Food and Human Values
          Society and the Association for the Study of Food and  
          Society

June 11, 1994
*Event:   1994 Kerr Field Day
Place:    Rock Creek Farm and the Kerr Horticulture Farm, 
          Poteau, Oklahoma
Contact:  Lara Ervin, The Kerr Center, PO Box 588, 
          Poteau, OK  74953.  Phone:  (918) 647-9123.
Sponsor:  Kerr Center for Sustainable Agriculture
 
June 12-15, 1994
*Event:   "Global Strategies for Environmental Issues"
Place:    New Orleans, Louisiana
Contact:  NAEP, 5165 MacArthur Blvd., NW, Washington, DC  20016.
          Phone:  (202) 966-1500.
Sponsor:  National Association of Environmental Professionals

June 17-19, 1994
*Event:   The Fifth Annual Midwest Renewable Energy Fair
Place:    Portage County Fairgrounds, Amherst, Wisconsin
Contact:  MREA, PO Box 249, Amherst, WI  54406.

June 18, 1994
*Event:   Summer Solstice with Trauger Groh, co-author of "Farms of
          Tomorrow:  Community-Supported Farms and Farm Supported
          Communities"
Contact:  Anne Stack, Genesis Farm, 41A Silver Lake Road,
          Blairstown, NJ  07825.  Phone:  (908) 362-6737.   

June 19-23, 1994
Event:    1st International Symposium on Ecosystem Health &
          Medicine:  Integrating Science, Policy and Management
Place:    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Contact:  Office of Continuing Education, 159 Johnston Hall,
          University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G2W1.  
          Phone:  (519) 767-5000.  FAX:  (519) 767-0758.
          Internet:  [email-masked]

June 20-25, 1994
*Event:   Sustaining the Earth Summit
Place:    University of Minnesota, West Bank Campus, 
          Minneapolis, MN  
Contact:  Terry Gips, IASA, 1701 University Avenue, SE,
          Minneapolis, MN  55414-2076.  Phone:  (612) 331-1099.
          FAX:  (612) 379-1527.  Internet:  [email-masked]
Sponsor:  International Alliance for Sustainable Agriculture (IASA)

June 27-August 18, 1994
*Event:   "Introduction to Sustainable Agricultural Systems"
Place:    University of California-Davis
Contact:  Mark Van Horn, Student Experiment Farm, Department of
          Agronomy, University of California, Davis, CA  95616. 
          Phone:  (916) 752-7645.

July 9-22, 1994
Event:    Sustainable Development for the World:  
          A 14-day intensive course in the Mexican Tropical
          Highlands
Place:    Mountains of Tlaxcala.
Contact:  Ianto Evans or Michael Smith, Zopilote Association,    
          Box 123, Cottage Grove, OR  97424.  (503) 942-3021.
Sponsor:  Zopilote Association

July 24, 1994
*Event:   Maryland Organic Food and Farming Association, Inc., 
          Summer Social
Place:    Koinonia Farm, 1400 Greenspring Valley Rd., Stevenson, MD
Contact:  MOFFA, 6201 Harley Road, Middletown, MD  21769.  
          Phone:  (301) 371-4814.

July 26-29, 1994
*Event:   Leafy Spurge Symposium--1994
Place:    Bozeman, Montana
Contact:  Neal Spenser, (406) 482-2020 or Janet Petroff, 
          (406) 586-0831

August 5-7, 1994
Event:    20th Annual NOFA Summer Conference and Celebration of
          Rural Life
Place:    Hampshire College,  Amherst, MA
Contact:  Julie Rawson, 411 Sheldon Road, Barre, MA  01005.
          (508) 355-2853.

August 4, 1994
*Event:   Fourth Annual Conference of the Leopold Center for 
          Sustainable Agriculture
Place:    Scheman Continuing Education Building, Iowa State 
          University, Ames, Iowa
Contact:  Leopold Center, 126 Soil Tilth Building, Iowa State 
          University, Ames, IA  50011-3120.  Phone:  (515) 294-3711
Sponsor:  Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture

August 7-10, 1994
Event:   "Agroforestry and Sustainable Systems"
Place:    Fort Collins, Colorado
Contact:  Kim Isaacson, Center for Semiarid Agroforestry, Rocky
          Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station, UNL East
          Campus, Lincoln, NE  68583-0822.  (402) 437-5178.

August 7-9, 1994
*Event:   "Catch the Conservation Wave," the 49th annual meeting
          and expo of the Soil and Water Conservation Society
Place:    Waterside Convention Center, Norfolk, Virginia
Contact:  Call 1-800-THE-SOIL
Sponsor:  The Soil and Water Conservation Society

August 18-20, 1994
Event:    WRCC-67 Sustainable Agriculture meeting for the Western
          Region.  
Place:    Cheyenne, WY.
Contact:  David Granatstein, Washington State University, at     
          (509) 663-8181 x.222.

August 13-21, 1994
Event:   International Conference on Organic and Sustainable
          Agriculture
Place:    Beijing Agricultural University, Beijing, Peoples'
          Republic of China
Contact:  Mike Rennekar, Director, Agriculture Programs, Citizen
          Ambassador Program, Dwight D. Eisenhower Building,
          Spokane, WA  99202.  Phone:  (509) 534-0430.           
          FAX:  (509) 534-5245.

September 6-8, 1994
Event:    Second National Symposium, "Allelopathy in Sustainable 
          Agriculture, Forestry and Environment"
Place:    J. N. Vyas University, Jodhpur-342 001, Rajasthan,     
          India
Contact:  Dr. Shamsher S. Narwal, Organizing Secretary,          
          Department of Agronomy, CCS Haryana Agriculture        
          University, Hisar-125 004, Haryana, India.  
          Phone:  91-1662-73721, ext. 4268.  FAX:  91-1662-73552.
Sponsor:  Indian Society of Allelopathy 

September 17, 1994
*Event:   Maryland Organic Food and Farming Association (MOFFA) 
          Fall Field Day
Place:    Accokeek Foundation Farm and Colonial Garden
Contact:  Skip Kaufman, Accokeek Foundation Farm and Colonial 
          Garden, 3400 Bryan Point Road, Accokeek, MD.  
          Phone:  (301) 283-2113.

September 18-21, 1994
*Event:   Sustainability of Range Livestock Production Systems in 
          the West
Place:    Billings, Montana
Contact:  Jack Riesselman, 525 Leon Johnson, Montana State
          University, Bozeman, MT  59717.  Phone:  (406) 994-5149.

September 18, 1994
Event:    New Jersey's Third Organic County Fair
Place:    Pennington, New Jersey
Contact:  (609) 737-6848
Sponsor:  Northeast Organic Farming Association

October 13-17, 1994
Event:    Seeds of Hope:  The Arctic to Amazonia Congress on
          Community and Sustainable Forestry
Contact:  Erik van Lennep, email:  [email-masked].

October 23-31, 1994
*Event:   1994 International Sustainable Agriculture and Food
          Security Week.
Place:    Washington, DC
Contact:  Thomas Forster, NGO Working Group on Sustainable
          Agriculture.  Phone:  (808) 737-0300.  Internet: 
          [email-masked].  Or Linda Elswick, WSAA, 1331
          Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Suite 907 North, Washington, DC
          20004.  Phone:  (202) 347-0637.  
          Internet: [email-masked] 

November 7-10, 1994
*Event:   "Conservation and Equitable Growth:  The Challenge for
          Farming Systems."  Asian Farming Systems Symposium, 1994
Place:    Manila, The Philippines
Contact:  Symposium Coordinator, AFSS, PO Box 70, Peradeniya, Sri
          Lanka.  Phone:  +94 (8) 88081/88206.  
          FAX:  +94 (8) 32817/88206/32517.

November 11-13, 1994
*Event:   "Telling the Story:  Celebrating Tilth's First Twenty 
          Years"
Place:    Edgefield Manor, near Portland, Oregon
Contact:  Tilth's 20th Anniversary, PO Box 3588, 
          Portland, OR  97208.  Phone:  (503) 285-8279.

November 12, 1994
*Event:   Maryland Organic Food and Farming Association (MOFFA) 
          Annual Meeting
Place:    MDA Headquarters Bldg., Annapolis, MD
Contact:  MOFFA, 6201 Harley Road, Middletown, MD  21769.  
          Phone:  (301) 371-4814.

November 21-25, 1994
Event:    Systems-Oriented Research in Agriculture and Rural     
          Development
Place:    Montpellier, France
Contact:  Ms. Ann Lichens-Park, NBAP.  Phone: (202) 401-4892.  
          FAX:  (202) 401-4888.  OR Ms. Anne-Marie Seng-Sourinho,
          Direction Scientifique, CIRAD-SAR.  Phone:  67617185.  
          FAX:  67617186.

November/December 1994
Event:   3rd International Course on Fodder Tree                
          Legumes-Multipurpose Species for Agriculture
Place:    Queensland, Australia
Contact:  Dr. R.C. Gutteridge or Dr. H.M. Shelton, Fodder Tree   
          Legumes, Department of  Agriculture, University of     
          Queensland, Queensland, 4072 Australia.  
          Phone:  (61-7) 365-2062.  FAX:  (61-7) 365-1188.
Sponsor:  Department of Agriculture, The University of           
          Queensland.

December 11-16, 1994
Event:   10th International Organic Agriculture IFOAM Conference
Place:    Lincoln University, Canterbury, New Zealand
Contact:  IFOAM Conference, Centre for Continuing Education,     
          PO Box 84, Lincoln University, Canterbury, New Zealand. 
          Phone: (64) (3) 325-2811.  FAX:  (64) (3) 325-2944.

1995
June 11-14, 1995
Event:   "Sustainable Aquaculture, '95"
Place:    Ilikai Hotel, Honolulu, Hawaii
Contact:  Narendra Saxena.  Phone:  (808) 956-6163.  
          FAX:  (808) 956-2580.  
          Internet:  [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------
APPENDIX
Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program
Regional Research Grants Schedules

The Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE)
program is a continuation of what was formerly known as LISA. 
Grants are awarded on a competitive basis for research and
educational projects in sustainable agriculture. 
Administration of the program takes place through four
regional centers, each of which has a separate schedule for
its call for proposals and other deadlines.  The schedules
will be included in this calendar as they become available. 
Following are the addresses of the Regional centers:

North Central Region               Western Region (After March 1,
                                   1994) 
Steve Waller, Coordinator          Phil Rassmussen, Coordinator
Agriculture Hall                   Ag Systems Technology
Univ. of Nebraska-Lincoln          Utah State University
Lincoln, NE  68583-0704            Logan, UT  84322-2300
(402) 472-2973                     (801) 750-2230
Internet: [email-masked]     Internet:  [email-masked]
 
Northeast Region                   Southern Region
Frederick R. Magdoff,              Gerald F. Arkin, Coordinator
Coordinator                        Agriculture Experiment Station
Dept. of Plant & Soil              Griffen, GA  30223-1797
Science                            (404) 228-7263
University of Vermont              Internet:[email-masked]. 
Burlington, VT  05405              peachnet.edu
(802) 656-2630
Internet:  [email-masked]

NORTH CENTRAL REGION
November 18-20, 1993:    Combined Administrative                 
                         Council/Technical Committee meeting,    
                         St. Louis, MO

November 25, 1993:       Invitation to submit full proposal

January 17, 1994:        Deadline for receiving full proposal

February 1, 1994         Producer-Initiated Grant Applications   
                         Available

March 7-11, 1994:        Combined Administrative                 
                         Council/Technical Committee meets to    
                         evaluate proposals

May 1, 1994              Producer-Initiated Grant Applications   
                         Due.  No FAXed applications accepted.

WESTERN REGION 

January 25-26,1994       Technical Review Panel to meet 

March 3-4, 1994          Administrative Council to meet 

August 22 -26, 1994      Strategic Planning Meeting 

NORTHEAST REGION

Proposed Schedule for FY 1994

Early October 1993       Request for Proposals sent to people    
                         interested in the SARE Program

January 19, 1994         Deadline for submitting proposals to
                         the regional coordinator's office
 
January 26, 1994        Deadline for submitting Farmer/Grower   
                         proposals to regional coordinator's     
                         office

March 19-22, 1994        Technical committee meets to evaluate   
                         proposals for recommendation to the     
                         administrative council

March 22-23, 1994        Administrative council meets to
                         consider recommended projects and       
                         allocate funds
 
Early April, 1994        Grant applicants will be notified about  
                         funding decisions

SOUTHERN REGION

January 31-
February 4, 1994         Administrative Council and Technical
                         Committee Meetings

February                 Notification of status of proposals and
                         producer initiated grants 

February                 Initiate negotiation with project
                         coordinators of successful proposals

March, 1994              Newsletter
                         Develop Plan of Work for submission to
                         USDA-CSRS and EPA
                         Release Call for Proposal for Regional
                         Training Consortium/Network
                         Release Call for Proposal for Regional
                         Training Projects

April,  1994            Submit Plan of Work  to USDA-CSRS and    
                        EPA.

April, 1994             UGA issue subcontracts to project
                        coordinators

May                     Regional Training Consortium/Network
                        proposal due.
                        Regional Training Projects proposal due.

June 13-15, 1994        Regional  Administrative Council Meeting

June, 1994              Newsletter
                        Release 1995 Call for SARE/ACE           
                        Preproposal
                                         
August, 1994            SARE/ACE Preproposals due at the Host 
                        Consortium

September, 1994         Invitation for full SARE/ACE Proposal

October, 1994           Newsletter
                        Release Call for Producer-Initiated      
                        Grants

December, 1994          Full Proposal due at the Host Consortium
                        Producer-Initiated Grants due at Host
                        Consortium