Subject: Position Announcement
From: [email-masked]
Date: 31 May 1994 19:05:20 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT:

Media and Public Information Coordinator for 1995 Farm Bill
Midwest Sustainable Agriculture Working Group

Application Deadline:  June 27, 1994

The Midwest Sustainable Agriculture Working Group and Sustainable Agriculture
Coalition seek a full-time employee to serve as spokesperson in Washington,
D.C. and to coordinate the national, state, and local media and public
information activities of a regional network of organizations working for
1995 Farm Bill Policy that supports sustainable agriculture.  

Organization Description - The Midwest Sustainable Agriculture Working Group
(MSAWG) was formed in 1988 to give organizations concerned about sustainable
agriculture a more powerful voice on federal policy issues.  MSAWG is a
network of farm, conservation, food, and rural advocacy groups from the
Midwest.  MSAWG works primarily in four broad policy areas -- farm programs
and trade, conservation and the environment, agricultural research and
extension, and marketing and rural development.  MSAWG relies on
participating organizations to carry out much of its work.  The Sustainable
Agriculture Coalition (SAC) is the lobbying subgroup of MSAWG and has a
policy representative and policy analyst in Washington, D.C.

Job Description - In conjunction with SAC's Media Committee, develop and
implement a media strategy and work plan designed to advance MSAWG's policy
priorities for the 1995 Farm Bill, increase regional and national exposure of
MSAWG's policy positions and participating organizations, and complement
priorities and strategies for the national sustainable agriculture agenda.
 The Public Information Coordinator will:

-	Coordinate efforts by member groups and individuals to publicize MSAWG
policy options and positions and shape the Farm Bill debate through ample
coverage in major media outlets in key states and congressional districts.

-	Take responsibility for media and publicity work before, during and after
MSAWG events and actions in Washington, DC, such as a fly-in planned for
winter 1994, and press/media 		interviews with key sustainable ag leaders
visiting Washington.

-	Serve as SAC's public spokesperson, conveying on-the-spot commentary and
policy positions to media representatives at congressional hearings, press
conferences, and other public events.

-	Cultivate positive rapport with key national reporters and editors in
Washington.

-	Write and distribute news releases, guest editorials, letters to the
editor, magazine articles, etc.

-	Assist SAC's Washington representative and policy analyst in writing,
editing, and preparing policy position papers, congressional testimony and
other publications, brochures, and 	promotional materials.

-	Assist MSAWG member groups with their media efforts, including advice on
news release writing, developing media lists, strategies, and protocols.

-	Organize media strategies and news conferences around release of policy
analysis projects.

-	Speak at events, meetings, conferences, and public hearings on behalf of
MSAWG and SAC.

-	Maintain current nationwide media mailing lists.

Terms of Employment - This is a full-time position that will operate out of
MSAWG's Washington, DC office, and will continue at least through 1995.
 Salary range is $30,000 to $34,000, plus excellent benefits.  This position
is funded by foundation grants to a SAC member group, the Land Stewardship
Project (LSP).  The information coordinator will formally be an employee of
LSP.

Qualifications - Applicants should have a strong background in and/or working
knowledge of sustainable agriculture and federal agriculture policy, strong
experience in working with the media, strong interpersonal communications
skills, commitment to social change, solid writing skills, public speaking
skills, work well with coalitions, and be highly self-motivated.  Journalism
or P.R. experience is preferred.

Send resume, references, and five writing samples to Mark Schultz, Land
Stewardship Project, 3724 12th Ave. So, Minneapolis, MN  55407 by June 27,
1994.